Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 13:46

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 269/176/165 Male 68"
BF:55+%/23%/15%
Progress: 89%
Talking

HA! HA! HA! I just looked at how she started this little talk. She said, "I follow a genetic diet..." HA! HA! HA! Since when do we have the genetics of a chimp? I wonder if she's aware that they use pig skin in skin transplants because their skin is so similar to ours? Or, what about all of the pig organs they're starting to use in transplants...they're pretty closely matched, too. Now, I may be a big, fat guy with a beard that looks like Santa to the kids and a biker low-life to their parents, but I don't actually think I look that close to a pig! Let me look in the mirror...well...yeah, I'm pretty big, still...hmmm, no snout for rooting out roots...gosh! My eyes look kind of pig-like! AWK! I better start eating pig food! I only need to get down on all fours and...voila!..yep! I think we are all pigs, in disguise! Forget the bed, I'm gonna build a sty in my back yard and sleep there, tonight. Gotta be a slave to my "genetics." You vegans are such a bunch of cut-ups! HA! Ha! Ha! I love this forum! Bring on more of these funny people! I especially loved the "Scientific" part...Ha! Ha! Ha! Hint: Look at the world, today. See all of the autoimmune diseases that there is no record of in the fossils of early hominids? Where did they come from? Whoa! That's pretty tough! MONOCULTURE AGRICULTURE started in the NEOLITHIC and so did autoimmune diseases! 1+1=2...get it? Nah! Let's just eat living things that don't have eyes...oh, my GOD! What if plants really do scream when we eat them...or cook them...and we just can't hear it? Humans are what's wrong with the earth. Let's all go on a big fast and eat dirt. That'll work. NOT!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 08:42
Registered Member

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 279/259/155
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default such a shame

we can't all live and let live. For every ounce of research that you find pro vegetarian, you find pro carnivore. I think you have to just do the research and choose your own path. And respect the rights of others to do the same. My daughter and I have chosen to be vegetarians, for humane reasons. Her, because she loves animals and wouldn't hurt anything, even to live. And I do it out of respect for her. Now we do eat dairy and eggs, and many other vegetarian choices. But those are our choices for who we are and how we feel now, today. I personally am not related to chimps or pigs. Doesn't matter to me how humans lived a million years ago. That was then, life has changed dramatically for all since then. But I can see by this forum, man gets along no better now than Cain and Able did in their time. So blessings on you today and if conflict is what you are into, be you vegetarian or carnivore, I guess you are in the right place.

Last edited by pamlose130 : Mon, Jan-28-02 at 08:48.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 09:44
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%
Lightbulb

hi Pam,

I understand how you feel. The original debate topic of this thread is not meat-eater vs. vegetarian -- rather, it's about the theory that humans are genetically designed to consume the same fruitarian diet as chimps. I believe I was able to disprove that theory, but I made it very clear that we humans have been given the capacity to CHOOSE. Whether we choose to eat meat, no meat, only fruit, only raw foods, strictly vegan etc ... we have the capacity to make the choice for whatever is our belief system, and that should be celebrated.

Blessings to you too, and I wish you much low carbing success

Doreen
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 11:00
Registered Member

BF:
Talking

thank you Doreen, I knew there was still kindness out there some where.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 11:51
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%

Pam,

This thread if you follow it from the start is not about respecting each others opinions, it's more about self-rightiousness for anti-low-carbers.

It's basically about the political correctness and media hype against low-carbing weather it with meat or vegetables.

Having been bombarded by too many opinions against low-carbing, our forum provides a safe place for low-carbers to demand proof of any one who have claims they are unhealthy.

So yes, we are bound to offend many people, who are well-meaning to save us from our politically incorrect diet if they come here and expect us to take their arguments without demanding the facts.

This is done in the hope they'll open their eyes. They don't have to convert to become low-carbers, but at least, with no supporting research, they could admit that they're not sure. If they're open minded enough to admit that, then that's a good step.

Wa'il
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 16:01
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Pam,

You seem to have a good handle on vegetarian low-carbing. The vegetarian forum could probably use some help with someone, such as you, who has experience in it. There are always people asking for advice and not many of us have that type of experience. Having an experienced person there will really help that forum grow and be a great help to others who visit it.

Karen
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 16:19
Registered Member

BF:

could someone please help me get to the vegetarian forum?
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 16:23
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%

I see that you just posted there a few minutes ago .. but .. here's an easy route - click on the home icon up at the top right. That will take you to the forum's main index page. Scroll down the index of forums till you see the Daily Low-carb Support Category. Look for Vegetarian in the listing (they're alphabetical). Voilą

Doreen
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 16:23
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%

Quote:
Originally posted by pamlose130
could someone please help me get to the vegetarian forum?

Here it is:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?forumid=109

It's also visible from the main page, listed among the Daily low-carb support.

Wa'il
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 16:32

Pam! For crying out loud! Get a sense of humor! I didn't write that stuff to hurt your feelings....geez...It's just that another person, who started this whole thing came on and started preaching to us about how bad our diet was and that she had all sorts of scientific proofs...which she hasn't yet posted, incidentally. If you want to be a vegetarian, so be it. I believe in letting people live in any way they feel that's best for them. But, when somebody comes on this forum and starts preaching to us about how bad our diet is, when it's pretty well proven that it isn't, well...
As far as eating vegan for humanitarian reasons, here's food for thought (get it? HA!). The primary reason for the extinction of so many species in the last 10,000 years has been monoculture agriculture. In order for a farmer to make a field to grow his/her crops, he/she has to irradicate the beasties who might eat the crops. The pesticides used today are killing off entire fauna, and flora, ruining the soil and the crops are depleting the soil of whatever nutrients are still there. Farmers add in nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium...that's it...because it makes the crop yield better. No more micronutrients, etc. The near extinction of wolves, and Grizzly bears, for example has been caused by the need for farmers and ranchers to protect their herds.
How is it humanitarian to kill off entire species so we can eat grains, dairy, and nightshades? This is not meant as a slight against you for your moral convictions...just something to think about.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 16:43
Registered Member

BF:

Like I said before "live and let live". The first two pages of this thread were, for the most part, all in fun. But somewhere along the third page it got way side tracked, and turned into something else. It was ugly and no longer edifying, for me or likely anyone else reading it. Blessings on your low carb efforts. I assume if anyone reading this thread wants "scientific support" they can just as easily go to a PETA website as any one else. Or for that matter the anit-PETA websitses.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 15:31

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I just have to put in my two cents. Man was created by God, not as chimps and then evolved to man. I know that plenty of people consider evolution to be truth. But I do not. So...with that in mind, I do not agree with VegiMax, because I do not agree with her first premise. We all are here to learn from each other. But I think VegiMax is here to spar. Which is fine. We all enjoy discussion. There are vegetarians doing low carb, as well as meat eaters. And we learn to respect each other's choices. Victoria
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 20:42

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. It is my view that we all have to find our own path, and tweak our own ways form a variety of influences - and respect everyone else and their choices. For instance, my wife is a vegetarian, and so are most of my children. I do not eat vegetables at all. We respect each other's positions, and I feel the same way about other members here.

I have one snippet to add that has not been mentioned yet, and to show my lack of bias, it rather favours the vegetable-eaters, who hold very different views from mine. A study was done into "primitive" tribes in the third world, to try and discover traces of digestive disorders, such as diverticulitis, constipation, appendicitis, cancer of the colon, and so on. None were found. The tribes in question were consuming carbohydrate levels which, in industrial countries, was associated with exactly these digestive conditions. Further research showed that the difference turned out to be purely the amount of refining which was taking place with the carbs. Flour was rough-ground, and the husks and other outer layers were left in with the flour, thus retaining all the nutrients and vitamins which industrial refining removes, and of course, increasing the amount of fibre. The same was true of other cereal crops, which were winnowed by hand, and coarse-sieved.

The conclusion was that it is not the carbohydrates per se which were causing intestinal and digestive ailments (as well as obesity) in industrial societies, but the degree of refining. If only we could persuade refiners to go back a hundred years in their refining methods, we could all eat far more carbs than is safe for us now, and be much healthier for it. This, I think, may well support some of Vegiemax's earlist arguments.

However, Doreen is also right. The one thing we need more than anything else for healthy brain and central nervous system development is fatty acids. A study which deprived two volunteers of all dietary fat for a week had them frantic for fat, and exhibiting various signs of physical distress.

My final point is this, and it argues against the vegetarian way of life. There are certain vitamins which man needs, that he is not able to synthesise himself. The only way he can obtain them is by consuming organisms that have already manufactured these vitamins and enzyme chains themselves, that is to say animals which provide us with red meat.

Each person makes their own choice. I live with vegetarians, while they live with a carnivore. We accept each other's right to choose, and allow them to live by that decision. There is no harm in bringing new information to the other's attention and debating health implications, provided all parties are prepared to talk and listen with mutual respect in intelligent, respectful debate.

May peace, harmony and happiness be with you all, and may you all find your own effective solution to long-term eating.

Andy
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 12:11

Lightbulb food for thought

Wow! Andy!
Good stuff about processing. I would like to read the studies about that stuff regarding vegetarian diets in third world countries. Can you reference one or two of them? Would be appreciated. My understanding is that grains and milk are thought to be very high in humanly harmful lectins, which are very bad for us in the forms that they exist in those types of foods. It is being studied, even as I write, to get a definitive answer on that one. Because of the harmful lectins, those foods are thought to cause many of the autoimmune disorders present in the world, today, since agriculture became prominent. Those diseases don't show up in the fossil record until the advent of agriculture about 7,000 years ago. This, of course, was before the highly processed foods we have today. Anyway, would love to read that stuff. Always looking for answers.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 20:36

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi Captxray,

There is a considerable amount of material I think you would like to see, including the items you mention, which I have written up in a long Word document and I can send to you by e-mail I will be sending you a PM message to arrange this.

Andy