Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#31   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-05, 10:15

Plan: Neanderthin-Based
Stats: 230/218/200 Male 6'3.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree

When she's given more money to charity than I'll ever EARN.... but yet we feel entitled to judge what she does with her OWN money.

Like the money meant a thing to her. It was simply digits.

I love how people like Bono who have millions think they have the right to judge working-class and middle-class families who are financially struggling to raise their kids and keep their heads above water. They think they have the right to use their influence to push for tax increases on working people just to boost their ego and make themselves feel good. Bono's sunglasses collection probably cost more than some earn in a year.

If these rich celebs who are advocating that more of our tax money goes to foreign countries were serious they'd give their millions away and keep enough to live a more modest but comfortable lifestyle. Going slightly off-topic. But I, along with many other working people are getting sick of these idiotic celebrity hypocrites.

I'm not condemming people who give to charity. I applaud their generosity. I am condemming ultra-rich celebs who are trying to make life more difficult for working people.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-05, 12:54
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

How do you know what her money means to her?
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-05, 13:46

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I think this is getting really off topic.

Back to the original idea, I agree, I don't think Kirstie's highest peak was 201. I was 198 and wasn't close to looking her size and we're the same height.

My dad always says the truth is the best defense. He's right; I don't sugar coat my weight to anyone
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-05, 16:28

Plan: my own
Stats: 215/170.5/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 64%

Okay, I'm 5'8" and I know that even at my highest weight, I didn't look as fat as Kirstie does in her show - at least I'm told. So no way does she weigh around 200 now. I'd guess it's more like 260 - 270-ish. I don't know what the big deal is??? So she's 260 or whatever. She knows it, we know it, the media knows it.... just get on with it, enjoy the show, she'll hire a trainer, chef, etc. lose the weight look fantastic and life goes on. We'll do it differently perhaps, but so will we!!

But about her show. I do think it's funny and have enjoyed it - she's just a funny girl, not to mention the rest of her cast. I can also relate to the situations she gets into, which is why it's probably funny to me. But I can't help but also feel embarrassed for her and that she is degrading herself by portraying herself in this way. Maybe I'm wrong, just makes me feel a little "ticklish" to watch. I read that the show was getting very bad ratings. Can't really see why, but then I really loved "Dead Like Me" and see what happened to that one.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-05, 16:36

Plan: low carb
Stats: 189/136/136 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Drippin,My point was that money doesnt help make you thin or fat.!

I have to disagree i think Kristie looks fab and i can't see her weighing over 200.
I have only seen her on talk shows so maybe they are fixing her up to look fatter on her show.
I mean lets face it she has to look fat because thats what the show is about.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-05, 17:37
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 315/274/175 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

you know, she was on the view and she looked GREAT. really good, definately less than 200 id say. the weird thing is that she said she lost 20 something pounds. she looked like she lost 50 but i am SURE jenny craig wouldnt let her fake a lower number. so maybe she really didnt weigh that much?????

oh, and i definately cant even begin to respond to drippin. her posts are just generalizations about things she doesnt know much about.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-05, 20:37

Stats: 258.5/219/199 Female 64 inches?
BF:
Progress: 66%

people tell me i never looked like i weighed 250 when i did and still at 229 when i have them guess they guess about 200......... so she could weigh more than she looks like.... besides who would eer by looking guess that paris hilton weighs more than nicole richie? looks can be decieving. id say kirstie weights about 210 or so....... just a guess. shes tall so she can weight a lot more and youd never know it
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-05, 20:47

Plan: low carb
Stats: 189/136/136 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

I totaly agree with you Eve25.

I thought she looked great.
I havent seen the show but whould like to have you?
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-05, 22:00
Registered Member

BF:

cy i HAVE seen the show and thought it was sooo funny!!

i think some people think she is degrading herself, but i just think its the unfortunate truth that fat people have to deal with this stuff. sure, its kinda brutally frank sometimes, but hey, so's life!

here's the website, you can read about the past episodes.

http://www.sho.com/site/fatactress/home.do
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 00:14
Terranova

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I'm not terribly good at judging other people's weight but she always struck me as a "big girl" - not really fat but definitely well built and curvy even when she was shooting Cheers. I'd have guessed she weighed 160+ish pounds back then. Film does have a way of making you look much fatter than you really are, but they seemed to use every trick in the book to hide her size on the show. I love the way they dressed her though it was clear she was not a petite woman by any means.

When I saw her "fat" commercial I'd have guessed her to weigh at least 240. But maybe we're wrong. Maybe she has a very small frame. Plus the dress they had her wear was particularly tight and really emphasized her weight.

I couldn't fully relate to her "story"... on the one hand she says she's embracing her fat-actressness and on the other she's making a huge public spectacle of her wieght loss plan. It's an odd ball love-hate thing going on there for sure. Kinda reminds me of peeps who order a diet coke with their super size combo meal. well...I guess maybe I can relate to that kinda kookieness, lol.

I wish her the all the best in her struggle with weight, body image and self esteem.

Cheers*
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 00:27

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/175/158 Female 5'10"
BF:I am 5'10" tall
Progress: 57%
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygirl
Drippin,My point was that money doesnt help make you thin or fat.!

I have to disagree i think Kristie looks fab and i can't see her weighing over 200.
I have only seen her on talk shows so maybe they are fixing her up to look fatter on her show.
I mean lets face it she has to look fat because thats what the show is about.

Yes, money doesnt make you fat or thin.......

just wanted to mention this: we spoke about it in our World Geography Class...
Back in Archaic times.....fat people were "looked upon" as "rich" the peasants and the poor were thin .....back then, you had to have money to eat good.........

I eat what I enjoy some weeks, it really depends how much I have to spend that week....I usually buy things on sale. The difference is now, I buy healthy things on sale....not "like I used to" buy one get one free ice cream or cheeze its, or wheat thins.....you know what I mean....
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 02:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/230/120 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 8%

Well we all have some opinions on Kirstie Alley the truth is we don't know her well enough to put her down I think her & Carnie Wilson are on the right track,because fat or not money or no money they are trying to loose weight to be healthy & most importantly they are doing it for themselves & allthough they may have alot more than us whats are excuse for gaining the weight we did?We probably already figured that out for ourselves now they did to & it's great that they got on track & made a lifestyle change for the better
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 16:59

Stats: 258.5/219/199 Female 64 inches?
BF:
Progress: 66%

i think money could help make you skinny..... if i could afford a personal trainer and chef and personal shopper and a big house with room for lots of expensive exersize equipment...... it would make it a LOT easier
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 17:18
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaLynn
i think money could help make you skinny.....

sure it could "help" but if i said "man if i was rich i'd be so thin," its totally taking the responsibilty off of me. "woe is me" attitude you know???? thats not healthy thats making more excuses.
besides, ultimately, it takes the same amount of work for a rich person to be thin as a poor person.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 18:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/142.5/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I actually find the show to be quite funny. Adult humor and not for the children though. I record it on dvr and watch it when I am home alone during the weekdays.
It's funny most of the time.
Closed Thread