Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 16:20
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandalayVA
Consider how fortunate we are that we have the CHOICE of what to eat. Whenever I want to whine about what foods I can or can't eat or see a film like Super Size Me and immediately want to run to the nearest farm market, I think of the 16,000 children--not people in total, just children--who per the World Health Organization starve to death every single day. And we're bashing each other over the kind of meat we buy?

I agree, Mandalay. Ysabella makes some of the most cogent and educated posts in the public forums....If she agrees with you, you're probably right.

Kay
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 16:34
Registered Member

Plan: Zero carb. Meat Only
Stats: 176/168/160 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
No, insulin wasn't making him overeat. He did it on purpose. He ate to the point of vomiting at every meal. It was ridiculous, and I don't understand why anybody took the movie seriously after seeing that.

People who eat fast food may eat more than they need, but I doubt there are many (any?) people who stuff themselves until they throw up at every meal.

Ah, I see what you mean. Yeah, you're right.

I was talking about later on when he started feeling bad between meals. This is the insulin cycle driving you to consume more and more carbs more often.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 14:59
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I own this movie, and I don't recall him eating to the point of vomiting at every meal. He puked out his car window, but he didn't hurk up every meal he ate! Would've been kinda hard to put the weight on that he did if that was the case.

I thank the universe every day that I can be picky about what I eat. It really is a luxury. Good point.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 15:34

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

I definitely used to leave McDonalds and especially Burger King on the brink of barfing. I had to sit in my car for a bit before driving away... Good thing it wasn't a daily or weekly thing.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-07, 15:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Someone makes some observations about mice on a "super size-me" diet. For once they finger the sugars!

http://sciencenews.org/articles/20070609/food.asp
Quote:
The question Tetri will begin to investigate in the next few years is whether excessive caloric intake alone—or something more specific—is the source of fast food's toxicity to the liver. It's possible, he says, that some ingredient characteristic of fast-food fare, perhaps the fructose that sweetens soft drinks, is especially problematic.

Why single out that sugar? Some preliminary studies suggest that fructose can fool the body's satiety meter, thereby fostering overeating (SN: 4/2/05, p. 216).

In addition, Tetri notes, a host of studies have linked heavy consumption of this particular sugar to fatty liver disease. One of the more recent of these studies appeared in the May 2005 Hypertension. Indeed, the authors of this rat study concluded that a fructose-enriched diet "can be a suitable model for human nonalcoholic fatty liver disease."

Even for a carnivore like me, a salad is starting to sound mighty tasty.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-07, 14:51
Low-Carb Dharma

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 446.5/434.6/150 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

That documentary was very interesting, but I feel it promoted the wrong idea.

Sure, fast foods, like McDonalds, are some of the worst things anyone could ever eat, but they missed the big connection -

Fats + Carbs = weight

The way fats and carbohydrates work together in the body is the point. If you have carbs and fat, the body will not burn fat. Fat by itself may not be the ultimate health food, but it is dramatically worsened and even dangerous when paired with carbs!

French fries.. starchy carbs soaked in fat, is possibly one of the worst foods in the world.

And have you ever noticed that McD's food, overall, is really very sweet? I LOVE their cheeseburgers and nuggets, why? They really are sweet! Seems that that should be a problem.. lol

Over the last few years, at the rare times when I have had a McLunch, within 30 minutes, I've had to run to the bathroom and had gas and cramps for an entire day afterwards. That just cannot be good for you, regardless of whats in it and what the carb / fat / calories are.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-07, 15:01

Plan: Dr.Atkins
Stats: 216/208.8/150 Female 65 inches
BF:mini goal 206
Progress: 11%

Hi Lexi-lou, that's what I call my lil sister! Dr. Atkins explains how all of this work in the book, now I know reading something won't prove anything to anyone, so the best thing to do is try it out and see what happens. There are lots of us here that have been doing LC for quite a while, much longer than that guy & so far we're all much healthier than when we started.

I saw that show too, and I swear I'll never eat McDonald's again!
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Jun-16-07, 08:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185.8/185.8/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default The Fat-Carb Connection and U.S. Height

I thought contributors to this thread might find this story interesting --
http://economistsview.typepad.com/e...krugman_am.html

Americans are shorter and fatter than they used to be, and economist Paul Krugman blames fast food and a high fat & carb diet.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 12:16
Registered Member

Plan: No name, found in mag.
Stats: 196/188/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Yes, it was extreme, but I think a lot of people missed the point, in that fast food wreaks havoc on your health. He didn't puke at every meal, stick to what really happened and go from there. It came down to the simple question of what does eating fast food on a regular basis do to your body. Its supposed to make you a little more aware. Anything like that you have to take with a grain of salt. Personally, after watching it I paid more attention to how I felt after eating fast food and realized the fact that besides I didn't care that much for it anyway, I did feel like shit after eating it. Low-carbing is awsome, but a lot of times it blinds people to anything other than low-carbing. They become so hardcore that if they don't hear the word low-carb in anything having to do with diet, its chucked in the trash can. I try not to be so narrow minded. If you watch something with some useful info, use what you can and discard what you don't agree with or what you feel it lacked. Otherwise your no better than the vegan and their narrow views on nutrition.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 12:30
Registered Member

Plan: Carbs not
Stats: 159/124/130 Female 67 inches
BF:Playing the field
Progress: 121%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypeeoh
\

Exactly. We are used to seeing overweight people. We are surrounded by them. We are them in many cases. She ate a healthy vegetarian diet. I doubt she ate much grains and that made her thinner than what is considered normal. But she's the size most Americans were in the days before easy fast food.

I think she's getting knocked because she is a vegan. If somebody on Atkins looked like that, everybody would be saying "Didja notice how slim the Atkins chick was?" I also agree that the weight "bar" has been raised systematically over the years so that someone who is very slim can now appear unhealthy looking. My feeling about the vegan girilfriend is ... more power to her. If she can keep her weight down and keep up a vegan diet with healthy chemistry panels and everything, then good for her.

Quote:
The point of the movie was that fast food is bad food. The only reason I go into a McDs is to steal salt packets.

I haven't been in a fast food restaurant since I was a teenager. You couldn't pay me enough to eat that stuff. I think it's all bad - the meat, the carbs, whatever. The corporations that run these places have pretty questionable practices as well, so that would be another reason to cut back on eating there.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 13:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 356/233/175 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairOnFire
I think she's getting knocked because she is a vegan. If somebody on Atkins looked like that, everybody would be saying "Didja notice how slim the Atkins chick was?" I also agree that the weight "bar" has been raised systematically over the years so that someone who is very slim can now appear unhealthy looking. My feeling about the vegan girilfriend is ... more power to her. If she can keep her weight down and keep up a vegan diet with healthy chemistry panels and everything, then good for her.

I haven't been in a fast food restaurant since I was a teenager. You couldn't pay me enough to eat that stuff. I think it's all bad - the meat, the carbs, whatever. The corporations that run these places have pretty questionable practices as well, so that would be another reason to cut back on eating there.

No doubt to all the above. I was just talking to dh about how I truly believe that some body types can be well suited to a vegan lifestyle, and some people can eat a diet high in complex carbs and be stick thin. It's working for their chemistry. And then there are people like us, whose bodies and blood chemistries respond really well to low carb. I must admit I'm a bit jealous of people who can eat tons of carbs and not gain weight, b/c I loves me my bread and sugar. But I can't, so this is the best way for me. And with regard to fast food in general, every time I eat that stuff I feel like total crap, way worse than if I sat down and ate the same amount of carbs that did not come from fast food. It's all bad. Gross! Definitely makes me want a salad.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 13:07

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Food is food. All Spurlock proved was that grossly overeating (he may not have vomited after every meal, but he did eat to the point of discomfort) is harmful.

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com...-real-food.html
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 13:58

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%

This will put you off McDonald's

You tube Spurlock experiment
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 15:10
Registered Member

Plan: No name, found in mag.
Stats: 196/188/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
Food is food. All Spurlock proved was that grossly overeating (he may not have vomited after every meal, but he did eat to the point of discomfort) is harmful.

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com...-real-food.html

I don't agree that food is food. Even if you don't stuff yourself silly, the amount of sodium and crap in fast food is amazing. Even a low-carb burger from Hardees has 1050mg of sodium in it. If food is food I doubt people would be pushing whole fresh food.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 06:03

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade430
Even a low-carb burger from Hardees has 1050mg of sodium in it.

So? Very few people need to worry about their sodium intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade430
If food is food I doubt people would be pushing whole fresh food.

Well, I wouldn't use what people push as the criteria for whether or not something is worthwhile. People push all kinds of things, from the silly to the outright dangerous.

I'm not saying "whole fresh foods" are not good for you...just that "processed" foods are not the poison we are all taught to believe.