Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 08:18

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

They do have green beans. In Florida anyway. It's on their website too.

I have heard that they don't raise their own chicken. They buy it from poultry farms like Tyson.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 01:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 350/199/180 Male 5'9"
BF:52%/ 18% /10%
Progress: 89%

yea the In n Out protein burger is great, but its only on the west coast. You need to also ask them to also leave out sauce otherwise it will be around 11g. I just started today so I think ill just stick to home made food.

http://www.hamburgerla.com/inout.html

Last edited by eric909 : Tue, Nov-04-03 at 01:55.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 07:27

Plan: Ketogenic Diet Dr Westman
Stats: 267/243.6/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I think that the new KFC ad campaign is brilliant. There is a market out there and they are going for it. If they do well other fast food restaurants may follow. This could open up a whole new list of options for us low carbers.

I went to the KFC website and emailed them telling them how much I liked their new ads and requested that they consider adding a side salad to their menu.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 09:00

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

While I would like to have more genuinely healthy LC choices at fast-food places, I really have my doubts this will occur. I'm sure the fast-food industry can and will offer LC choices in an attempt to get us to buy their products, but will they take the time and trouble to develop truly healthy LC choices? I seriously doubt it.

KFC is a good example of what I am afraid will happen - they are touting their chicken as a healthy food. Their chicken is fried with breading in hydrogenated oil that has been heated over and over to high temps - this is a trans-fat / lipid peroxide / free radical nightmare. Even if it had zero carbs, it still would not be a healthy LC food because it violates several other guidelines found in the books regarding LC WOEs - look up trans-fat in the index of whatever book(s) you are using for details.

What I fear will happen is what has happened in the push to get low-fat foods to consumers - foods have been developed that contain ingredient after ingredient that we don't recognize as a food items and can't begin to pronounce. These are equivalents to the frankenfoods serious LCers all over this board - regardless of which LC plan they use -choose to avoid in droves.

Last edited by Orang : Tue, Nov-18-03 at 09:03.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 11:09

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

I firmly believe you should avoid most processed foods as much as possible and avoid any factory-style restaurants like the plague. My guideline for this is simple. If the food they make isn't made on the premises, I avoid it. I made the assumption that any food made in a factory is much more likely to contain all sorts of fraken foods. I try to focus on smaller restaurants who clearly focus on homemade foods.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 11:23
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

Have you noticed KCs low fat commercials? They are going to bring back skinless chicken which makes the chicken low fat... Who are they kidding?!

JudyR- Could you tell the resturant you go to, to please open up a chain here in the Northeast? Pretty Please?
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 17:08

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

I've seen both commercials and quite frankly I think KFC is clueless! The guy sitting on the back of the car eating chicken has breaded chicken. The couple eating out of the bucket of chicken ARE EATING BREADED CHICKEN! KFC seriously needs to do a couple of different focus groups - LC and LF.

I used to love KFC but now just driving past one makes my stomach turn. I've gotten to accustomed to eating really good food that I cook for myself.

shortstuff
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 17:43

Plan: general low carbing
Stats: 225/200/150 Female 5 ft. 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

this is too incredibly funny - I started reading this thread at the beginning, and while I am reading Tom Brokaw comes on with a spot on how the Gov't. is going to investigate KFC for false advertising. They feel that they can't be a lowfat food, and that they are encouraging people to eat it with false claims!!!!!!
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 17:58
Hail to the King

Stats: 394/219/200 Male 5' 11''
BF:Big Time
Progress: 90%

That's good news Shari. Maybe the Government will send a message to all fast food places. Don't get into the LC business unless your serious about it.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 18:13

Plan: general low carbing
Stats: 225/200/150 Female 5 ft. 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Aragon - I think back to the last time I did Atkins. I was totally doing it on my own, and would have thought that was a great thing!! I do love a piece of white meat from there!! I would have believed the ad and made a trip there quickly. Now I know from reading so many journals and the book that this would be quite suspicious to be just 11 carbs. Not to mention that 11 carbs for a piece of chicken would mean that it is all in the coating anyways. At one time I would have just eaten the coating and left the chicken!!!!!1
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 15:18

Plan: Ketogenic Diet Dr Westman
Stats: 267/243.6/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I guess that I just think of KFC as a fast food joint. I mean like any fast food place it's not something that you would eat every day. I haven't seen the commercial that claims that KFC is low fat but any so called healthy item in a fast food restaurant is not something that I would really call healthy.

If I were in a pinch and needed a lower carb lunch I would definitely choose KFC though I wouldn't consider it over a home cooked low carb meal.

I still think that KFC advertising a lower carb alternative is a good thing.
I would not however expect to eat at any fast food place all the time and lose weight or expect to stay healthy.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 16:11

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

I didnt like KFC when I was eating whatever I wanted. Plus its not low carb, they use flour which could trigger cravings.
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 20:06

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

There are far better fast-food choices for people who truly want to eat a healthy diet. Grilled chicken with a salad or hamburgers without the bun, catsup or processed cheese food are widely available choices that do not contain trans-fats and aren't deep-fried in a slug of lipid peroxides at temperatures sure to produce free radicals.

For people who are simply dieting and into the mentality that if it's low in carbs then it is OK for me to eat, KFC is probably going to be an acceptable choice. But for people who are actually practicing an LC WOE, KFC chicken is no more an acceptable product than margarine, shortening and hydrogenated lard are - the last three contain zero carbs but they aren't acceptable choices on an LC WOE for exactly the same reasons KFC chicken isn't.

Last edited by Orang : Wed, Nov-19-03 at 20:15.
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 18:34

Plan: Atkins (modified - no red meat)
Stats: 324/244/150 Female 5'6
BF:46.6%?/42/20%
Progress: 46%

Look! Look! It seems as though our friends at BK are finally getting a clue:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...015#post1586015
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 19:25

Stats: 226.6/209/154 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebPenny
Personally, I wouldn't buy a burger called an Atkins burger. Not that I'm against Atkins, but it's not my path and I would much prefer a more generic name such as low-carb burger.

But you're right. It's strange that low carb is not being exploited more. I know that there are restaurants starting to provide low-carb dishes -- the recent article about lettuce wraps was a good example and yummy! But those restaurants have not been the big chains.

Just read this post, yeah I know I am a month late in replying, but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents' worth nonetheless...

here in Australia at least, restaurants are only JUST NOW getting on to the low-fat bandwagon, I suspect it will be at least another 10 years before low-carb even enters their field of vision!!!

Katt