Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 08:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/145/125 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

I thought caffeinated products were a big no no according to Dr. Atkins?????
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 09:58

Plan: general
Stats: 230/230/180 Male 180
BF:
Progress: 0%

Pansy - They are not allowed.
Why are we all drinking Decaff coffee .... Green Tea with caffine ??!?!? , Dr A says NO CAFFINE .... so how can it make you loose weight ?
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 10:23

Stats: 155/145/125 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

well thats what I thought... when i make my iced green tea I use decaf brand tea...maybe I'm wasting my time even drinking it at all?????????
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 11:17

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

Atkins induction is supposed to be free of caffiene. But moderate amounts after that is fine according to dr. atkins unless you specificly have bad caffiene sensitivity. Green tea has WAY less caffiene than coffee.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 11:36

Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Most Green Tea supplements are caffiene free.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 19:18

Plan: Human Experimentation
Stats: 170/100/105 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 108%

I thought caffine was a stimulant used in weight loss products because it speeds the metabolism and that's why I get crazy hyper off of it sometimes (using coffee, straight caffine pills or weight loss pills) So I figure it would be good. But I do hear it causes odd food cravings, maybe that is why, maybe it spikes the blood sugar or something, not sure. I am trying to avoid it, but not to the point where my head feels like it will explode -_-
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 20:29

Stats: 219/205.4/125 Female 63
BF:38/36/22
Progress: 14%

Dr. Atkins says not to drink caffeine simply because it causes insulin spikes in some people. I personally have had caffeine all throughout my induction and still, and I've had no problems at all with it. There are many people that don't have problems with caffeine. It's an individual thing.

On another note, I bought some white tea today, it's very good! After reading so much about it I decided to try it and I really like it! It's SO expensive though! I bought the best, the China White Tea, and I have to say I really enjoy it but I'll be using it sparingly thanks to the price!
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 08:55
fierce!

Plan: TGDW
Stats: -/-/- Female 64
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveJock
I have have tried several different brands of green tea and have found that THE REPUBLIC OF TEA Honey Gunsing to be the best. I buy it at Publix and it is about $8 for 50 bags. And no, it does not contain honey as we think of it, it has pollens that give it the honey flavor.

That brand is, indeed, fantastic and I have cans of both the caffeinated and caffeine free. Absolutely delicious plain or with Splenda.

I don't know about green tea and weight loss, but it ameliorates many other ailments, such as cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, high cholesterol levels, cariovascular disease, infection, and impaired immune function.

Try to find Gunpowder green tea. It gets its name because it is rolled into small balls resembling gunpowder pellets.

Tealuxe has an amazing selection of green tea, if you don't mind buying loose leaf.

Personally, I always prepare my tea using loose leaf. I really enjoy the ritual of it and having to wait a little longer for it, and smell its heavenly aroma, makes me happy.
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 08:56
fierce!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeca
Dr. Atkins says not to drink caffeine simply because it causes insulin spikes in some people. I personally have had caffeine all throughout my induction and still, and I've had no problems at all with it. There are many people that don't have problems with caffeine. It's an individual thing!

I haven't had too many problems drinking caffeine, either, but I don't consume that much.

Many will be happy to know that a regular cup of green tea has about 15 mg of caffeine, while regular tea has 150 and coffee over 200.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 09:01
fierce!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pad
Green Tea with caffine ??!?!? , Dr A says NO CAFFINE .... so how can it make you loose weight ?

Don't fret!

At only 15 mg a cup, green tea has less caffeine than some decaffeinated drinks. Take Starbucks coffee, for instance, which has around 10 mg.

Also, the less time you steep it, the lower the caffeine content. One way to make any tea decaf is to brew the water as usual, pour over the tea bag (or mesh tea ball) and let sit for 45 seconds. Pour the water off and then add new hot water and let steep as usual. Most of the caffeine comes out in the first extraction.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 10:46
library diva

Plan: atkins
Stats: 242/156.5/130 Female 5'4"
BF:way/too/high
Progress: 76%

Ok here's a weird and maybe kinda gross question.

I started drinking green tea (3-4 mugs a day) this monday after reading this thread. Haven't weighed so I'm not sure if its helping but here's the thing...I have noticed that I am ....er...more 'regular' than normal the past few days while drinking the tea. I have 'gone' already twice today.

So I am wondering if green tea does this to anyone else?
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 18:32

Plan: Human Experimentation
Stats: 170/100/105 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 108%

Could have to do with water (thats what tea mostly is) and that helps keep you regular, right? That is another reason your supposed to drink a lot. It cleans out your body of toxins and helps repare and hydrate your body. Flushing out the toxins I guess can be taken as well, helping you stay regular. There are laxitive teas as well. I think on a high protein diet, it's a good idea, I know I don't get enough fibre.

It's not a gross question. For me, I am wondering is anyone is less regular because of the high protein?
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 21:12

Plan: sugar bad, gluten worse
Stats: 230/191/160 Female 65 inches
BF:too/too/much
Progress: 56%
Default green tea info

in his new book, living the low carb live, jonny bowden says 5 cups a day, so he recommends the supplements. i personally don't find 5 cups of tea hard to drink. and it's not the caffeine but something called epigallocatechin gallate - EGCG "that stimulate brownfat metabolism, thus increase fat burning". so i would think that the decaf tea would still be effective.

as to stomach upset, i have that problem too. i have to have just a bit of anything, really doesn't matter what or how much before i drink tea, espically hot tea, iced don't brother me as much.

as to the other question of regularity?? let's just say the metacucil is my new best friend

oh and, i really like jonny's book. lots of good readable info, he goes over 14-15 different plans, the bioscience of low carb, supplements.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 21:59

Plan: Induction
Stats: 146/137/120 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

IF any of you live where there are asian grocery stores, it's a great place to find green tea for a fraction of the cost that you pay at the regular grocery stores. You'd be amazed.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 22:42

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

I was drinking green tea with chai flavor because I don't enjoy the taste of straight green tea. My Naturopath Dr. told me I shouldn't have any caffeine at all, but if I drank green tea, it's so healthy, she wouldn't have a problem with it. I decided to be clever and drink decaf green tea and then later heard that with the decaf process whatever helps with weight loss is lost along with the caffeine. So I tried it today half leaded- half decaf and got jittery for awhile. So, I'm going to drink it leaded but only in the am. What I do is use the Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice tea which is all the spices in chai tea along with the green tea. I really like it and I hear some or all of the spices used are anti-inflammatory. I add stevia and vanilla and some cream and it's yummy. Wish I could have some now! (it's time for bed, tho--boo hoo) --Gail