Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Oct-21-23, 08:59

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

An updated warning from the FDA:

Medications Containing Semaglutide Marketed for Type 2 Diabetes or Weight Loss

Quote:
Are there concerns with compounded semaglutide?

FDA has received adverse event reports after patients used compounded semaglutide. Patients should not use a compounded drug if an approved drug is available to treat a patient. Patients and health care professionals should understand that the agency does not review compounded versions of these drugs for safety, effectiveness, or quality.

Additionally, FDA has received reports that in some cases, compounders may be using salt forms of semaglutide, including semaglutide sodium and semaglutide acetate. The salt forms are different active ingredients than is used the approved drugs, which contain the base form of semaglutide. The agency is not aware of any basis for compounding using the salt forms that would meet the FD&C requirements for types of active ingredients that can be compounded. On April 27, 2023, FDA wrote to the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy expressing the agency’s concerns with use of the salt forms in compounded products.

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/postmarke...-or-weight-loss
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Oct-22-23, 03:08

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Wegovy has a Box Warning (once a Black Box Warning) about mental effects of the drug. But Ozempic doesn't. Same drug.

I wouldn't mind them cracking down harder. And no more advertising! It's ridiculous to advertise stuff you don't want but need, right?
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Nov-01-23, 05:14

Another Angle..the Cost Benefit analysis.

OpED piece in the Washington Post by Leana Wen

Obesity drugs might not be worth their high prices

https://wapo.st/40hlhcm

(A gift link, should open)

Quote:
The math seems simple enough: More than 40 percent of American adults have obesity, which increases their risk of expensive chronic illnesses such as diabetes and heart disease. The drug semaglutide, marketed under the name Ozempic for treating diabetes and Wegovy for treating obesity, reduces body weight. Semaglutide must, therefore, be cost-effective, because of all the medical costs saved from preventing later complications of obesity.

In fact, the calculation is much more complicated. A 2022 report by the Institute for Clinical and Economic Review found that when used for nondiabetic patients with obesity for the purpose of weight loss, semaglutide does not meet the cost-effectiveness threshold. This must be considered as insurance companies and government health officials determine how to cover these pricey drugs. ….continues at link.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Nov-01-23, 09:17

BF:

In the meantime, they are even LESS nourished.

I don't see people eating meat. Maybe in a restaurant. But I don't see it in their carts. Certainly not fresh.

Like this twisted article. I've bolded the untrue parts.

Quote:
What is “enough” protein? Well, it varies for everyone. The easiest way to put it is this: You need 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of your body weight. (You can convert your weight from pounds to kilograms by dividing by 2.2.) This amounts to about 56 grams per day for the average man, and 46 grams per day for the average woman.

Here’s the problem: Overloading your diet with protein can mess up your macronutrient balance. Eating high amounts of protein is usually achieved by eating lots of meat and dairy products, and these are often high in saturated fat, and low in fiber (a type of carbohydrate).

Too much saturated fat can increase “bad” LDL cholesterol, according to the American Heart Association. Saturated fat can also trigger inflammation in the body, which can increase the risk of many health conditions (including heart disease).

Plant-based proteins (e.g., beans, grains, soy, nuts, and seeds) are lower in saturated fat, high in fiber, and rich in micronutrients like vitamin K and potassium (which Americans tend to not get enough of (even though they eat plant-based already, why is that?)).

Most Americans Eat Twice the Protein They Need: Here’s Why That Matters

All right, I feel a little better now. Let's see if it calms me down from this paragraph.

Quote:
But is it possible to get enough protein on beans and seeds? It’s true: Plant-based proteins may not provide the same *quantity* of protein as meat, but it’s easier to hit your protein recs than you might think, and protein *quality* matters just as much as the numbers.

A 2016 study of over 130,000 American adults found that higher animal protein intake was linked to a higher risk of mortality, whereas plant-based protein was linked to a lower risk of mortality. Additionally, participants in the study were able to lower their risk of mortality by swapping out animal proteins for plant proteins.

LINKED. In questionnaires which ask people to remember what they ate, all last year. And no one brings up the halo effect. Where a person claims they ate more in line by "health guidelines" whether they did or not.

Look at this hand, no, the one behind my back, there -- stop thinking about protein and get more plants, you fool. Look at all the snack foods that are plant-based. Get a bag and feel yourself lower your risk of mortality!

Here this sits for anyone who noticed they only protein they get is chicken nuggets. And now they can rationalize eating more non-animal food.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Nov-01-23, 10:57

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Can we teach people to shop the outside aisles,? That would fix this issue.

When I cut thru the frozen section, usually to get frozen blueberries, the frozen dinner options are apalling: junk. All processed junk.

I cant see how a person gets enough protein. Pounds of beef per person in US continues to fall. Boggles the mind.

I'm Not convinced people get enough meat.

Vegetable based protein is a poor source. The amino acid profile is the important aspect . Not The Total protein count.

A cricket has a better profile than a soybean.

(SB has a place. To supplement meats,not vice versa.)

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Wed, Nov-01-23 at 11:03.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-23, 04:14

BF:

Here's an excellent video I unearthed because I wanted to know why this medication wasn't controversial when it was used previously, on diabetic patients.

Ozempic and Mounjaro Warning! What Nobody Is Telling You!

This doctor explains that previously, this medication was for very sick people who can't manage their blood sugar. They have a dysfunctional nervous system, from their metabolic derangement. Which is why they respond to their system getting kicked in such a brute force method. It's an attempt to impose some sort of balance because their vagus nerve is already less responsive, and doing the job in an inadequate manner.

But now, it's given to healthier (as these things go these days) as a person who is overweight but not yet as clinically sick

The healthiest respond the best because it overcomes GLP-1 resistance and they might not have any... yet. But the doctor explains that this isn't good. In the first instance, it's given to attempt to correct a clear issue that is endangering the patient's life.

This is how it works: it paralyzes the digestive system. In the past, I have joked about "low carb jail," somewhat the way people get things under control in the hospital when they don't control their food. But they can't make it stick as free people.

This drug is disabling their digestive system. It's a drug version of low carb jail, but not nearly as beneficial. It's a drug version of bariatric surgery. We'll MAKE you not kill yourself with food. We can disable this entire system, even though it covers other places in the body with receptors.

Quote:
The people for whom these injections don't have as much success is because their vagus nerve is still fully functional. But this treatment makes the vagus nerve less functional.

A reminder: pharmaceutical companies never took the Hippocratic oath. Just because you can do it, doesn't mean we should.

From a doctor who did scans on his patients, it was found that the loss of muscle and bone account for more than half the movement on the scale.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-23, 06:13

Plan: LC
Stats: 170/129.8/125 Female 5'1.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

I was on the verge of giving ozempic a try after hearing Dr Lyon in a youtube video state that her binge eating patients do well on it. Thankfully I was scared off after listening to Dr Berry discuss that the glp-1 receptors are also in the brain, kidneys and heart.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-23, 06:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanM
I was on the verge of giving ozempic a try after hearing Dr Lyon in a youtube video state that her binge eating patients do well on it. Thankfully I was scared off after listening to Dr Berry discuss that the glp-1 receptors are also in the brain, kidneys and heart.

I'm glad, too. I had that in my teens, but took care of the psychology by my early twenties.

The physiology wasn't fixed until I tried Atkins. I think I was getting real nutrition for the first time
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-23, 07:36

Jean, even if you still have the recent 10 pound increase, you are no where near the obese category a doctor uses to determine if you are a candidate for these drugs. If you enjoy podcasts, the new one with Cynthia Thurlow is wonderful about women being more kind to themselves! Stressors like fasting and calorie restriction will not help you lose weight. We need to save muscle mass to keep our bones strong.

https://ketokamp.libsyn.com/cynthia...rs-more-kkp-682
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-23, 08:13

Plan: LC
Stats: 170/129.8/125 Female 5'1.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Thanks for the podcast link. I do not fast but rarely eat breakfast due to truly not being hungry until early afternoon. I don't track calories. I lift weights and walk 6-7 days a week. I do well for a time and then I binge. I don't even have to be hungry. There are periods of time where I think I have it licked and then it rears its ugly head, but I do keep trying!
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-23, 11:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanM
I lift weights and walk 6-7 days a week. I do well for a time and then I binge. I don't even have to be hungry.

I hope you solve this puzzle. I was really impressed with the book, Toxic Superfoods. It covers a lot of baffling issues, in case that helps.
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Nov-03-23, 09:49

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Update on my friends who are on these drugs:

The one who is diabetic went off Ozempic due to some side effect. Not sure if that person has gone back on it or not. I can't recall what the side effect was - not even sure that person even sought Dr approval to go off of it, since it was working to lower A1C numbers, as well as helping with weight loss.

The other individual is still on Wegovy. Still has a complete aversion to meat (I can't recall is this is the 3rd month or the 4th month), so constantly trying to get enough protein from pre-fab protein drinks, a little cheese, some fish/seafood, and the occasional eggs. Lots of beans and legumes to try to get enough protein, and yet still being extremely restricted in protein consumption by using the "my plate" standard of only 1/4 of the plate being protein. This person knows how important protein is due to experiencing hair loss on other extreme diets, hence trying to get enough protein on this diet. Complicating it further though is that they're often unable to consume any food at all on the day of the weekly injection, and yet the day before the weekly injection they experience an out of control appetite.

From what I'm reading here, it sounds like digestion of the "excess" food consumed the day before the injection is still being slowed through the digestive system (even though there's significantly more hunger) when the next injection slows it even more.

What a roller coaster, swinging back and forth from ravenous appetite to no appetite at all.

The only thing I can figure out is that they like the "effortless" appetite control provided by the drug (and blame the drug wearing off for the out of control day), and while at least these 2 people are still trying to eat what's generally considered to be a "healthy" diet (whole grains, legumes, veggies - which includes potatoes, lots of fruit, etc, so tons of carbs), they can still get away with eating junk occasionally too.

And what happens when this person loses all the excess weight and is taken off this completely artificial appetite control? (Assuming the digestive system is not permanently paralyzed by the drug - which at least so far with the way that appetite returns with a vengeance the day before an injection, that's not happening)
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Nov-03-23, 17:15

BF:

I should also point out that the 2nd person's rationale for wanting to be on Wegovy to begin with was that it could be a way to jump-start losing weight again, which that person was convinced would make it easier to switch back to LC. I couldn't see that being the case, because I'd already read that you needed to eat pretty low fat on Wegovy, or it would make you throw up, and that you needed to concentrate on eating grains, vegetables, and fruits, because meats would be very difficult to digest.

Well obviously going back to eating LC after eating that many carbs for months and months is going to result in the usual induction flu, which somehow this person thought they'd be able to avoid due to... I dunno, maybe some magical property of the drug itself would prevent it when switching back to LC.

After being on Wegovy for a few weeks, that rationale changed to once enough weight was lost, this person felt absolutely certain that they'd be able to keep it off - this still seems to be the plan despite the fact that as a dose starts to wear off (on day 7, the day before the next dose), this person becomes quite ravenous. That should be a huge red flag right there.

The longer this person is on Wegovy, the more hungry they are on that last day - and of course they're ravenous for more carbs, not for the LC foods that would actually make them feel satiated, because there's still enough Wegovy in the system to maintain the aversion to meat and fats, even though the out of control appetite indicates that it's worn off enough for the body to be desperate to take in more food.

They make up for ravenous day 7 on day 1 (injection day), since that's the day they feel nauseous all day and can't eat at all.

I can't see how this can possibly be good.

It's not the binge/purge of bulimia, but it's close enough to it with the ravenous appetite of day 7, followed by the nausea and no appetite at all of day 1 - it's essentially a drug created eating disorder, with varying degrees of ability to eat in between.
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Nov-03-23, 18:44

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna

It's not the binge/purge of bulimia, but it's close enough to it with the ravenous appetite of day 7, followed by the nausea and no appetite at all of day 1 - it's essentially a drug created eating disorder, with varying degrees of ability to eat in between.

We here know that there is a way to attain a healthy weight and a healthy life without ingesting dangerous unproven substances. It is so sad that so many people fall prey to this delusion that all they need to do is take a pill and then disregard their own experience while taking the pill, convincing themselves that what is happening is good for them.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Nov-03-23, 20:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
We here know that there is a way to attain a healthy weight and a healthy life without ingesting dangerous unproven substances. It is so sad that so many people fall prey to this delusion that all they need to do is take a pill and then disregard their own experience while taking the pill, convincing themselves that what is happening is good for them.

That's just the thing that really gets me - Both of these people have done LC very successfully.

They both lost a good bit of weight on LC.

Undoubtedly, the diabetic's blood sugar numbers were significantly improved - in fact I don't think diabetes was diagnosed until a decade or more after going off LC and subsequently gaining a lot of weight.

They both just have the problem that they can't stick with LC and frankly I don't think they consider LC to be healthy - all that fat and protein can't possibly be good for you, right?

But more than that, the carbs are just way too tempting for them, carbs are too much fun to give up. They ate out and they had their favorite pasta dish on the menu, the desserts look too good to pass up at the holiday meals/birthday celebrations/weekend get together, the homemade rolls smell wonderful, their favorite halloween candies are sitting right in front of them.

So they both started gaining weight, and stopped even trying to do LC.

Then the whole semaglutide thing came along and AHA! not only can you eat carbs on those drugs and still lose weight, you can't eat much in the way of meat or fat, so you get to eat ALL THE CARBS - pastas of all kinds, potatoes prepared a dozen different ways, and all the breads. They found it easy to give up meats and fats - to take a med that caused them to become ill when trying to eat meats and fats. And it was ok, because they can still lose weight eating a ton of fruit, bread, pasta and potatoes.

It's a lot more fun (food as entertainment for your mouth), it's a lot easier (no concerns about finding a restaurant meal that's LC friendly)... At least that's the logic I'm seeing. Sadly.