Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 20:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/235/150 Female 5ft 5.5inches
BF:Started May 26 '05
Progress: 0%
Default Hi from Yellowknife

Hi all *waves to the south*
and then over to misskimbee

I just did my first shopping for Induction today. So ready to start in the morning.
misskimbee
I found a salad dressing at the co-op, called carb1, over by the refrigerated salad dressings if you are interested... they have a 6 flavours. I didn't get a chance to even find the low carb section at the co-op now that they have expanded yet again...

It's hard to get specialty foods here, which is so strange for the size of YK, and the distance from Edmonton, you would think they would have more varieties actually now.

We may have to start up a mail order thing to Edmonton Sue LOL, because I can see I am going to get tired of eggs, meat and lettuce real fast lol.

Cher
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, May-28-05, 06:45

Plan: SB
Stats: 205/176/150 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Cher, I'm here for ya!! I found that salad dressing when I was down in Red Deer last weekend! I got the Ranch and the Italian and I think it's great!
I'm up early this morning because I'm meeting my sister for a day of walking & shopping. First we're walking to the Farmer's Market, then back to her place for another walk (after a bathroom break!) and then we're going shopping for things for her new condo. I walked 22,204 steps on my pedometer yesterday, so hopefully I can do more today and still stand!!!
The sky is absolutely clear of any clouds this morning and the birds are singing - it's a great day!!!
Enjoy your weekend.
Sue
  #33   ^
Old Sat, May-28-05, 07:52
Registered Member

Plan: ---
Stats: ---/---/--- Female ---
BF:
Progress:
Smile

Sounds like you're going to have a great weekend Teddy's mom - and those are a lot of steps to walk!!! I have to work this a.m. and then it's birthday shopping time for our soon to be 16 yr. old daughter!! I had a bit of a slip last night so am going to take the dogs for a long walk tonight as well - it's good for them and me - although there are times when I'm not sure who is walking who. I hope everyone has a great weekend!!

dashykathy
  #34   ^
Old Mon, May-30-05, 12:45

Stats: 142/135/120 Female 5:3
BF:
Progress:

Ugh....I gained this weekend - trying to get a handle on low carb, low calories and exercise is not going too well for me!!

I go for a mammogram next Friday and the dreaded weigh in - I can just hear her - boy, you have packed on the lbs....haven't you!!

Off to the gym....hope everyone else is behaving!!
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-05, 08:09

BF:

Jas - good luck with the mammogram next week! I'm not doing so well this week myself and the upcoming weekend isn't looking promising either. 2 of my sisters are coming in from out of town and staying over to help my younger sister move into her new condo (which is in my complex). It's going to be mostly cleaning and lots of painting, so there will be exercise, but it's the eating part that is probably going to get me!! Although I'm trying to make it 'friendly' to my plan (I'm the only one on LC). I'm having 1 of my sisters roast off 2 chickens tomorrow, so that will definitely be on my plan with a salad, but it's all the snacks that they will be bringing that could tempt me! And the drinks, too!! But I did find some Shmirnoff Ice that has only 2 carbs per bottle - YIPPEE!
I won't have much time to post here until next Monday morning, so hopefully the scales will be kind to me. So far this week, I've maintained my weight at 169 but I haven't been walking as much as I would like - it's been rainy and cool here.
Well, enough whining.........it's back to work for me!! Have a great day everyone.
Sue
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-05, 08:49

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddymom1
Another cloudy, coolish day here (must be because the Queen is still here )

Would you believe, my Auntie Pat works for the Metis Association in Edmonton and as luck would have it, the president invited her as a guest to SIT at the same TABLE as the Queen! Our family was so excited to hear this. crazy I tell ya!!
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-05, 08:56

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherf
Hi all *waves to the south*
and then over to misskimbee

I just did my first shopping for Induction today. So ready to start in the morning.
misskimbee
I found a salad dressing at the co-op, called carb1, over by the refrigerated salad dressings if you are interested... they have a 6 flavours. I didn't get a chance to even find the low carb section at the co-op now that they have expanded yet again...

It's hard to get specialty foods here, which is so strange for the size of YK, and the distance from Edmonton, you would think they would have more varieties actually now.

We may have to start up a mail order thing to Edmonton Sue LOL, because I can see I am going to get tired of eggs, meat and lettuce real fast lol.

Cher

I agree!! Sue, would you be our supplier? LOL!

Hey Cher! Thanks for the info about the dressings! I think I bought one from there, the Southwestern dressing, it's pretty good with broccoli!

There is a great online store, www.lowcarbfooddepot.com and the shipping isn't too bad. If you buy more than $100, shipping is free anywhere in Canada

Which means ALOT when you live in the boonies like Yellowknife!!
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-05, 10:57

Stats: 142/135/120 Female 5:3
BF:
Progress:

How awesome Misskimbee for your family! What was it like to sit at the table with the QUEEN?

Yes, it is wet & rainy here too and almost as bad at the workplace as LAYOFFS are happening!!

I am looking forward to the weekend too SUE - have a great one!

Have a great weekend - will try to bbl
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Jun-04-05, 11:54
Still Wicked

Plan: none currently (WFPB now)
Stats: 235/112/120 Female 151 cm (4.11 1/2)
BF:
Progress: 107%

I went to a fairly new place in Red Deer yesterday called Hiway to Health. It is in South Point Common Phase II (the part that has London Drug). Very friendly folks there, including an owner that lost 80 pounds following LC. She said they were having trouble getting LC products from their distributor now, and that Atkins is down to 9 products now (various flavours etc within them).

I picked up some DaVinci syrup there. It's worth supporting these folks. They have organics and other specialty food as well.
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-05, 08:50
Registered Member

Plan: ---
Stats: ---/---/--- Female ---
BF:
Progress:

I go to the Wal Mart at South Point Common once or twice a month when I go into Red Deer. I'll definitely have to check this store out - been to London Drugs and Jysk too but have never seen this Highway to Health. Think I might be going in today and if so, I'll stop in and check it out. Anyone know why it's so hard to get the low carb foods now???

dashykathy
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-05, 08:58
Still Wicked

Plan: none currently (WFPB now)
Stats: 235/112/120 Female 151 cm (4.11 1/2)
BF:
Progress: 107%

It's the new labelling law in Canada mostly, well that and the fact that LC products are not exactly going gang busters right now. That store is not in the big line of stores at the Common. Instead it is in the little strip at the end closest to Gaetz Avenue. There is a frozen food store next to it that has a line of sugar free ice creams made with Splenda. I haven't bought it, but I hear it is supposed to be good.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-05, 12:22

BF:

Sorry I've been AWOL guys, but I've been very busy painting & unfortunately.....eating this past weekend. Gained back 3 pounds and though I have excuses (family, food & being tired) I only have myself to blame........and I do blame myself! I also learned that I can NEVER go back to the old way of eating - and this past weekend proved it to me.
But I'm still determined to make this WOL work for me, so I'm back on track today and will be clipping on my pedometer after work and going for a nice long walk.
Taming, my sister lives in Red Deer, so next time I'm down there visiting her, I'll try and stop in at the Hiway to Health store. Great to hear there are still some places here in Canada where we can buy LC products!
Enjoy your Monday!
Sue
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-05, 17:28

Plan: Atkins (to begin with)
Stats: 228/158/145 Female 5"9"
BF:
Progress: 84%

hey taming. thanks for the plug for the store. much appreciated. for all of us LC'ers i'm trying to keep as much LC food in the store and acquire more but that is becoming more difficult as my suppliers keep dropping a lot of their LC lines. again thanks for the kind words and I will be keeping up to date here. now that i've got on.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-05, 08:15

BF:

Welcome kaedyn1 and thank you for your store! Wish there were more stores that carried LC products. My sister lives in Red Deer and I go down for visits, so next time I'm down, I'll make a point of coming into your store and say 'HELLO'.
Sue
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-05, 18:56

Plan: Atkins (to begin with)
Stats: 228/158/145 Female 5"9"
BF:
Progress: 84%

thanks teddymom. Please drop me a line when you're going to be in town. I'm always here regardless anyways so i'll be here.