Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#346   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-08, 19:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Extended Induction
Stats: 238/190.6/155.0 Female 5'4"
BF:shrinking!!!!
Progress: 57%

First post on this board! And its on the oopsie roll thread LOL. I have read this entire thread. I can't believe it. I am going to make them tomorrow. I don't have any cream of tartar or I would have some in the oven now. I am scared to try it with vinegar. Has anyone here tried that? I am so looking forward to a sammich.
Hi to everyone. I feel like I know some of you since I have completed this thread.
Thanks Cleo for this recipe. You have really helped a lot of us LC's that have busy schedules, and kids and hubbies and jobs and oh so many things that make easy cooking such a blessing.

Thanks

Nichole
Sponsored Links
  #347   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-08, 20:48

Plan: Low-Carb
Stats: 265/230/150 Female 64
BF:42
Progress: 30%

Vinegar is not a substitute for cream of tartar, save your ingredients until you have the cream of tartar.
  #348   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-08, 21:01
Registered Member

That is what I was thinking. I had just read it a couple of times on this thread and was wondering if someone thought it would work or had it actually work LOL. Either way I am waiting to try it "right"

Thanks
Nichole
  #349   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 10:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/169/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Thanks for the tip Sandi, I am hoping to get to finally try your suggestions tonight. Oldest son had scrimmage last night, and DH has flue. Will let you know!
  #350   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 10:18
Great seller! A+++++

Plan: mine
Stats: 123/456/789 Female 2'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouLThnkng
First post on this board! And its on the oopsie roll thread LOL. I have read this entire thread. I can't believe it. I am going to make them tomorrow. I don't have any cream of tartar or I would have some in the oven now. I am scared to try it with vinegar. Has anyone here tried that? I am so looking forward to a sammich.
Hi to everyone. I feel like I know some of you since I have completed this thread.
Thanks Cleo for this recipe. You have really helped a lot of us LC's that have busy schedules, and kids and hubbies and jobs and oh so many things that make easy cooking such a blessing.

Thanks

Nichole

I'm so glad the recipe has worked for you! Welcome to the board. It's nice to meet you!

As per cream of tartar, you can beat whites really stiff without it--just take the extra time to make those boogers REALLY stiff.
  #351   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 10:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins '92
Stats: 245/220/130 Female 5'4'
BF:
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouLThnkng
That is what I was thinking. I had just read it a couple of times on this thread and was wondering if someone thought it would work or had it actually work LOL. Either way I am waiting to try it "right"

Thanks
Nichole

Cream of tartar is used for it's binding capabilities not for its PH, so vinegar would not be a suitable substitute for it especially since its a liquid.

You can also use granular splenda in a pinch to hep with the stiffening.
  #352   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 12:56

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Actually, it is used to change the pH.

Quote:
Cream of tartar (potassium bitartrate) is an acidic salt that can be used to change the pH of the egg white to an acidic range by boosting the number of free-floating hydrogen ions in the egg white. This has the effect of stabilizing the foam, and is therefore an alternative to using a copper bowl. 1/8 teaspoon/0.5g cream of tartar should be used per one egg white to create this effect. 1/2 teaspoon/2ml of lemon juice can also be used to create the same results.[9]

(From http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/albumen)

Additionally,

From ochef.com -

If you are beating eggs whites and don't have cream of tartar, you can substitute white vinegar (in the same ratio as cream of tartar, generally 1/8 teaspoon per egg white).

From Aki's Kitchen -

When you're ready to whip your egg whites, add an acid to them such as cream of tartar, lemon juice or vinegar, usually about 1/4 teaspoon (of either acids) for every 2 whites. I prefer using cream of tartar, because it is flavourless, which is ideal to use. Lemon juice and vinegar, on the other hand, will leave their taste in the whites and you might not want this.

I have never tried vinegar, so can't confirm from personal experience.
  #353   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 13:05
Scottish Flower

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 210/171/145 Female 5ft 3 1/2
BF:no i'm married :)
Progress: 60%

I just had a rev roll sandwich with a chicken breast and some havrati cheese melted on it
  #354   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 16:10

Plan: Atkins 92
Stats: 260/200/175 Female 72 inches
BF:Size 20/12/10
Progress: 71%

Quote:
also mine are ready after 15 mins in a 200 oven - i know it says 30 mins but they get shriveled and browny when i do that?

Annasophia, I think your problem is temperature conversion - 300 degrees Farenheit is around 140 Celsius - since you are in the UK I assume your oven is in Celsius? Try lowering the temp and see. however, if your results are good the way you're doing it, why change it? Only cooking for 15 mins means you get to eat them sooner!
  #355   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 16:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 179/158/148 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 68%

OMG! u are so right! no wonder mine rise - then flatten, the oven must be too high! i wil try 2mw on 140c and see..thanks x
  #356   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 16:45

Stats: 180/135/135 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

They always rise, then flaten, so don't think you're still doing something wrong when that happens.
  #357   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 19:39

Stats: 220/169/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Ok..finally made the recipe used the tutorial offered by Sandi, and they turned out fine. My Dh has the terrible flu, so I had to go pick up his meds and pick up our son, so I was gone two hours. I tasted one plain, and I like them muuuuuuch better than the ones with mayo! So thanks Guys!
  #358   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 20:03

Tried these tonight to go with burgers - they're just a little weird. Mine stayed pretty fluffy - so much so that I think I may not have stirred the mixture long enough (there are still pockets of fluffy whites in the finished product). They taste fine, but they are NOTHING like bread. I may try making a grilled/toasted sandwich out of them to see if that works better, but for me I prefer the flax bread as a bread sub.
  #359   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 20:11
Registered Member

Ok, Got the cream of tartar today on the way home. Couldn't wait to fix them up. I did it exactly as the recipe said. They turned out AWESOME. I ate 2 with butter, cinnamon, splenda and was in HEAVEN. I don't think anyone on here realizes what this actually means for me. I have breakfast again. I HATE eggs and love these. I can do grilled cheese and just the cinnamon "toast" was sooooo good. Thanks Cleo for screwing up!!!!! LOL.
Now I got to find protien powder and a waffle iron..oh the possibilities!

Nichole
  #360   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-08, 10:10

Tried these again this morning as the 'bread' in a sausage/cheese grilled breakfast sandwich - they were pretty good. Still OBVIOUSLY not bread, but they went well with the other ingredients. I think I added too much salt to my batter, though - next time I will probably leave it out since the cream cheese is salty enough.