Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 10:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/190/145
BF:
Progress: 17%

Hi all, I just got on the computer this morning and was all set to say "I'm goin' for it!" until I read your response, MamaSara6. Thank you! I guess around 50g is the way to go for now. Losing 4 lbs. is great, KristyG! Let's all keep each other posted on our results. Yes? Good luck! Oh yes, one question, are you all limiting types of carbs in addition to the amounts? I know that we'll automatically limit sweets and breads, but are you limiting fruits, nuts, etc.? Jenny
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 11:39
Registered Member

Stats: 215/204/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Good decision Jenny K, that's what I decided too.

I'm with you Jenny! And it would be nice to hear how other BFing moms are doing. Since the weight may come off slowly while we nurse. I'm steering away from fruits for the most part, a little sweet may be hard for me to put down! But not nuts and cheeses. I've also used a little milk and sour cream in my omelets. But I'm avoiding Bread, Pasta and Sugars. Still trying to decide about Sweet Potatoes. What do you think? Too Starchy as a veggie? What about beans? We eat a lot of bean dishes in this house.

Also, what are you doing for exercise? While pushing a big old double stroller is quite a workout, I feel like I need to start doing something more. Especially crunches for that post-baby tummy!

Talk to you later and good luck.

Jami
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 17:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 152/150/132
BF:
Progress: 10%

Oh, its so fun to log on and find replys to past messages!

I have been choosing my carbs from these foods: tomatoes, homemade whole wheat bread, occasional fruit (apples, blueberries, pears) and milk.

I dont limit eggs, cheese, nuts, meats and all other vegies.

I need to drink more water, just seems so hard to keep it full and available.

I went to Jazzersize on monday and am thinking this is a great work out to add into my daily routine.

Has anyone used the carb counter on this sight, it has occured to me that I have not been as accurate in counting as I could be.

tootle-loo!
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 18:20
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Jami and Kristy! I'm so excited about our little "group" we've started! Now I don't feel quite as alone in my journey. I haven't looked up the count for sweet potatoes, but I'd guess they're pretty high - starchy and sweet! (I love 'em too. ) I intend to begin actually counting carb grams (on Monday, haha) because I think by eating a higher amount it will be awfully easy to go overboard. I'm thinking of sticking to nuts, cheese, fruits and veggies and cutting all breads, potatoes and sweets. It'll be good practice for when Chris is weaned and I'm able to go on induction.
My plan is to begin walking every morning with the stroller and start some weight training to build muscle. I've been pretty lazy lately. Hubby and I have done Body for Life in the past, and even though we only lasted 8 weeks, I'd never looked better. We intend to get back to serious workouts soon. I think it will go much better with a low carb diet rather than the low fat diet on the BFL plan.
Good luck to you both, can't wait to hear more from you. Isn't this just the cutest little guy you ever saw??
Jenny
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 18:41
Registered Member

BF:
Default strange...

well gals... i tried the carb counter for sweet potatoes and only got results for babyfood! Bizarre. What am I doing wrong?
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 06:44

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%
Smile

Hi girls! It is nice to have a little group going here!

I guess I'm trying to do a Somersize/Schwarzbein combo plan. I still plan to stay away from certain foods Suzanne calls "funky" like bananas, potatoes and other high glycemic foods. I think they are still triggers for my cravings. TSP has lists of foods in 15g serving sizes, so that is very handy for knowing how much I can eat of something at a meal.

Jenny, glad you're going to do the maintenance plan. Dr. S. says Ketosis is never a good thing, but I don't really understand why 2 drs. can contradict each other so much!

For exercise, I do a FIRM video on M, W, F. I just started these a couple of months ago and they are incredible. Very hard workouts. I'm seeing results that I never saw before. Dh did one with me once and thought it was going to be an easy day for him! I also do a cardio workout on T, R, and maybe one weekend day if my "coach" insists.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 07:36
Registered Member

BF:
Default Good morning nursing mommys!

Good morning ladies!

Sara, Thanks for mentioning some of the differences beween low carb plans. I think I'll get my hands on a couple and read up. So far I've only read Atkins.

Can we maybe mention the age of our nurslings again and if we have any other kiddos?

I'm Jami (26) and have Bennett (18 mo) and Olivia (4 mo) (they're close, I know!), so most of my exercise is chasing a VERY active toddler.

Seriously though, we take walks pretty frequently and pushing a double stroller is no easy feat. But I need to get started on a more serious workout, especially toning. I have a Denise Austin video, just need to get my cozy self out of that bed in the morning before kids are up.

Jenny, I did find a counter that included Sweet Potatoes, I believe they're around 28 g per serving, too high most likely.

I think I'll do some gardening today, that should burn some carbs!

Jami
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 10:30
Registered Member

BF:

Good morning nursing moms!

Yes, again, thank you, Sara. I've read Schwarzbein but it was a couple of years ago. Ketosis is never a good thing? Hmmm.. that is contradictory info. Have never read Somersize. Doesn't she say you can eat carbs as long as you don't mix them with protein? Looks like I need to visit the library again soon!

Have any of you read How I gave Up My Low Fat Diet and Lost Forty Pounds! by Dana Carpender? I just did, and it's really good. She summarizes several types of low carb diets and does a really good job of explaining the science behind low carb theory without getting to "medical".

Oh yeah... Jami, I'm Jenny (26) married to Bobby for 3 years and we have one boy, Chris (8 months). Chris just started crawling, so my life just got a little bit crazier! It's fun, though. Sara, did you say you have SIX kids?! I'm in awe!

You're both doing so great workout-wise. I really need to get off my rear and start something. If you both can find the time then surely I can too!

Have a great weekend! Jenny
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 21:10
Registered Member

BF:
Angry Getting past the sweets!

I'm just so irritated with myself! Tonight dh and I went out for some frozen custard, even though I know it's not what I should be eating! I just really struggle with giving up those sweet things! And I'm not very good at moderation either. I want a BIG bowl of ice cream, not a 1/2 cup recommended serving size.

Do any of you struggle with stopping the sweets and junk? Can you give me some pointers or help?

I want to not want these things so badly anymore!

Jami
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 09:46

Smile

I don't have my nursling in my arms now, so I'll introduce myself quickly! I'm Sara and have, yes, 6 children. It kind of shocks me too when I think of it---it's not something we planned from the beginning. But we kept wanting another one! They are 13, 11, 9, 6, 3 and 8 mos. With a girl at the beginning and at the end! I finally have a built-in babysitter and it is wonderful!

Jenny, I'm from OK originally--Chickasha--and have family there still. My uncle is in OKC. We went to the Cowboy Hall of Fame on our last trip there. Very cool!

Jami--my family went out for ice cream yesterday and they only had 1 yucky sugar-free flavor so I just sulked. I was such a baby--I felt so left out of the fun. But I usually just get the no-sugar stuff now. Although Dr. S says to stay away from the toxic sugar substitutes because they're toxic and cause carbo cravings. I think she's right, so I try to avoid them altogether. Once you get it out of your system, you won't want it anymore.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 07:24
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks Sara!

I can't wait till those sweet carby things no longer call my name in such a loud, demanding tone. Like a toddler!

Jami
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 07:47

Stats: 68/68/50
BF:
Progress:

Hi Gals,

has the woosh goddess visited any of us lately??

by the way Sara- i'm also in awe though I can relate to you- out here it's no big deal having 6-8 kids!

Oops- almost forgot the intro- I'm shaquest, live in nairobi, married with an 8 month old son- Mugo- he's crawling and trying to stand up on his own- only problem is once he's up he wants to clap his hands to congratulate himself -
and just tumbles down

Messed up today- I forgot that coarrots are the worst veggies onLC- ate a cupfull before I checked fitday and almost screamed my head off.

I'll talk to you all tommorow.

when life gives you a lemon, make lemonade!
shaquest
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 07:50

Stats: 68/68/50
BF:
Progress:

Jami,

looks like the sweets and bread are also calling out to me- atually shouting

hahaha- have to put on earplugs!

when life gives you a lemon, make lemonade!

shaquest
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 09:34
Registered Member

BF:
Default SWEETS!!

Me too! I want a Krispy Kreme donut soooo bad! I'm ignoring it though. Good luck gals! Jenny
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 05:32

Smile Good morning!

Just thought I would pop in and say hi! How's it going with everyone? I don't think I'm losing anything these days--I don't even feel like I'm on a diet the way I'm eating. But that could be because I have trouble measuring and keeping a strict eye on my carbs. That's why something like Ssing is easier, because I just leave them out!

I've been on for a while, so I have to go wake up my sleepy children and start our homeschool day. Everyone is sleeping in on this chilly dark a.m.