Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-15, 20:03
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

wow so hungry yesterday and oh did I over ate today. please tell me my eating will lessen as I do this?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-15, 01:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

If I fast for a day or longer (and eat very little on the eating days, maybe 1 or 2 servings or meat and/or eggs) I can actually lose weight.

It feels great to lose some weight on the long-term fasts and it's true that it gets easier after a half-day or longer to sustain the fast. My metabolism seems so stuck that long-term fasting is the only way I can lose now.

Last edited by pazia : Fri, Jan-16-15 at 17:52.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-15, 05:00

Plan: Atkins 2002ish/LCHF
Stats: 228/166/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 63%

I've just started doing an "IF" on the weekends. So far so good, I'm on a downward trend and I don't feel deprived at all. Funny that many years ago when I did my low fat diet and felt hungry all the time, my weekends were my cheat days, now I'm eating less on the weekends.

What I do is for example:
Friday usual dinner.
Saturday I have coffee (I can't not drink my coffee). No lunch, but if I feel like I'm needing a meal, I warm up a cup of broth with butter added and that will tide me over until Dinner. I also usually have an afternoon coffee too. Then it's a usual meal of whatever low carb one I decide on. Then I do it again on Sunday. Monday - Friday I'm back to my usual schedule. So far I'm dropping weight again where before I was at a pretty much standstill.

I don't know about anyone else, but a pat o butter curbs my appetite on this WOE.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-15, 06:09

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Lessara, it takes time to adjust! I used all the "allowed extras" and very large meals too at the beginning. Some more calories than a normal day! It is the timing that is helping the BG lower.

Fasting should not even be uncomfortable, and certainly not painful. I follow the alternate day fast protocol, eating a good, still pretty big dinner every night. The timing is helping my BG control, slowly losing weight is a side benefit. When I started IF the minute felt hunger, I would drink broth, hot tea, maybe some fiber too, used all the allowed extras on the IF plan. There are many ways to do IF but I am NOT into any suffering and this has worked for ME.

After not doing IF for a few months and seeing high BG again, I recently re-started it and have been amazed how easy it is. Thought I would have to aclimate again, but from day one, no hunger at all. I was out of house most of yesterday, thinking how weird it felt, driving around, feeling great, no desire for even a tea. I used to use CO in coffee, but haven't this time, just cream. Broth at lunch,(sometimes with butter, not this time) tea in the afternoon, then a substantial LC dinner. If a social engagement interfers with the schedule, no worries, just adjust the timing. And due to the lack of hunger my eating day is often an 18-20 fast too, yet my calorie intake is not much lower than normal.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-15, 06:31
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

I've been doing my version of IF for a long while now. I only eat once a day because I seriously am only hungry when I start to eat...so I eat as late in the day as possible which is usually around 4:30 - 5 pm. It has worked very well for me personally because I have a lot of food related issues... **heavy sigh**

We all have to do what works for us to either lose the weight or maintain it.

Keep Fighting the Good Fight, it is so worth it!

Jo
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-15, 06:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/205/180 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 60%

I too didn't think I could go without the standard 3 squares a day, but after getting the hunger and cravings under control it is WAY easier than I expected.

I eat lunch - any where from 11-3 and perhaps something before 6pm and usually by 5. Then nothing until noon the next day. If I get hungry before that, I eat but generally eat only somewhere between noon and 6 each day. It gives me a regular fasting window.

I don't have any BG issues but the good feeling of this downward trend keeps me going. I unexpectedly don't find it a challenge at all...in the beginning of the switch over to burning fat, I'm guessing I would have had issues too.

Deanna
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-15, 08:11
Everyday Sane Psycho

Smile

I did feel so much better on my fasting day. I will be honest. I have mentioned I can feel my body sensations for which I am thrilled. I did feel the sensation of full but I ignored it Today is fast day and I plan not to ignore my full sensation any more. I mean really, my low carb meals are high in calories it doesn't take much to be full and have enough calories. At least for me.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-15, 06:31

Dr Berkeley at Refuse to Regain thinks this will be the year of IF:

http://www.refusetoregain.com/2015/...ou-tell-me.html

She and the NYT start off modestly with not particularly long fasting windows, but it is a start to more acceptance of fasting in the mainstream.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Jan-19-15 at 06:55.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-15, 08:46
Everyday Sane Psycho

I think you are right, Janet. I posted Dr. Fung's part 1 of video series and also Dr. Gary Fettke's video on my facebook page. I have in the last week, 3 people who responded to them and are in shock of what the truth in all this is. I am asked how did I give up potatoes? bread? And in truth I had no idea that these things made me eat tons of them. Increasing my fat lowered my portions. My friend at school thinks I eat way too little. (He was looking at my cold chicken I was eating). But the important thing is these videos gave us words to use when talking to others. I tell people I am reducing my insulin not so much sugar. after all sugar is the tell sign.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-15, 08:51
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCM
I pretty much always eat dinner at 5 to 6 pm, then don't eat again until breakfast the next day, which for me is usually around 8 or 9 am. That gives a 14 or 15 hour fasting window each and every day and it's not hard to do. So that means during the day I'm eating between 9 and 5, an 8 hour window. I almost never eat lunch, so I do 2 meals a day.

i do the same thing.. it's a natural occurrence to eat like this, when you're only eating when hungry..

sometimes, if i don't eat breakfast, my lunch will be big enough to keep me satisfied until the next day, which gives me a 24-26 hour natural fast, and it is a one meal day.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-15, 15:32

A FREE book on Amazon Kindle today about Intermittent Fasting, aimed for the beginner. Some history, a few different plans, written by an "athlete". No guarantees, looks Ok I for the price
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KFOOPK2...23520_TE_M1T1DP
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-15, 15:58

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

I've settled into 80% fat, 15% protein, 5% carbs having coffee and cream upon waking up and for lunch and then eating at 5 pm every day. No snacking allowed. No cravings or real hunger until then. For now it's working and I'll take it.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-15, 16:08

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Katie, are you fasting every day now?

Thanks for the link JEY. Figuring I have nothing to lose, I downloaded it.

I'm starting my second week of IF today (MWF), and feeling very good. My fasting blood sugars have dropped as much as 25 points on some days - down into the perfectly normal range. PPs continue to be good.

I'm still doing a 5-7 window of eating on fasting days, which seems to suit my lifestyle and my body. I'm losing at an acceptable pace (1/2-1 lb per week). But it's the blood glucose that keeps me doing it.

Just sitting here killing time as my beef neck bones roast (per Dr Fung's recipe). They're pretty meaty and I expect excellent flavor from them. I've made lots of chicken broth/stock in my day, but this is my first attempt at beef.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-15, 17:11

Plan: LCHF & IF
Stats: 181/167/132 Female 5ft5
BF:
Progress:

I do the 16:8 variety of IF. Meaning I have my daily two meals some time between noon and 8pm and then there's a 16 hour fasting window (with lots of sleep).

I find that the more I do this, the less focused I become on food (I stop planning my next meal as soon as I've eaten the current one as I would tend to before) and the easier it becomes to stretch the fasting window.
That said, I will eat my first meal when I'm hungry. If that's exactly at noon or even at 11am, so be it. But this is part of my process to start Listening to my body again. I've been so bad at that.

I agree with everyone above who says fasting should not be painful. Use it as a tool if it works for you. Personally, I love it.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-15, 17:52
Everyday Sane Psycho

i downloaded on my android tablet but can't find it. oh I see I needed a reader

Last edited by Lessara : Mon, Jan-19-15 at 17:58.