Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, May-01-01, 23:35

Plan:
Stats: 286/254/148
BF:
Progress:

Rache

Got to love ya, you continue to amuse me every day...

You mentioned it in an earlier thread. Some of us pay attention you know...

Nicola
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, May-03-01, 17:10
Registered Member

Plan: Type 2 Diabetes/Protein Power/Self-Designed Program
Stats: 240/180/140
BF:
Progress:

I didn't really mean to cause this much trouble, but had heard that and was curious. I am an O-Du+ and just didn't know if what I'd heard or read was really serious! I do know that I feel great when wheat products are not in my system!
Question:How long does one stay in the low-low (less than 40gm) carbo stage? Will it cause any adverse effects to stay there for months? Should I be upping my carbs now? I still have a good forty pounds to shed!
  #18   ^
Old Fri, May-04-01, 00:13
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Why mess with what's working?

You can up your carbs when you reach your goal weight to maintain it.

Karen
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 12:02
Pending Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/145/120
BF:
Progress: 74%
Smile Hello

I am new to the forum but not to diabetes. I have found that since being on induction that my sugar level has dropped from 165 to 88(last night reading). I know my doctor will be pleased as I am because I know it was only a short time in taking shots.
I hate needles I quess that why I am not a good patient.
Kate, congratulation on your weight loss.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 07:22
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein & Atkins
Stats: 262/246/170 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

katryding - I bought the Ezrin/Kowalski book 6 weeks ago through Amazon.com (used), It is great, Kowalski is a medical journalist and teamed up with Ezrin, an endo.
He is a very thorough researcher of information. His book, the New 8 week Cholesterol Cure, is the best! Congratulations to you.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 16:52

Plan: Atkins/Diabetic
Stats: 137/138/128 Female 5'4 and 1/2"
BF:
Progress:
Default My Blood Type is A+, and

I usually only think of eating meat when energy is low, and because Dr. Atkins said have all you want (correct?) sort of crave fish, mostly Gorton's I don't have to clean/cook myself, and fruit, went off Atkins and my garlic pills for a while and got into trouble with b.g. control.

Since I was on Atkins a while, any bread, a sandwich, drives my b.g. up to maybe 300's! Do you get more sensitive to carbs when you were off them for a while?
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 21:47
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%
Wink Eat Right for your blood type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katryding
Does anyone know if there is a factual connection between
blood type and insulin resistance?

Katryding:
Here is some on blood type O, which is supposedly the most insulin resistant and carbohydrate intolerant type, so called "thrifty" genotype. Dr.B also explains this type in his book.
Type O is the oldest blood type, and people with this type blood have digestive systems that hark back to prehistoric times, when the diet was largely composed of extreme protein sources (mastodon, deer, sturgeon, to give a few far-out examples), insects, roots - in other words, hunter/gatherer food. They tend to hyperacidity, thrive when in mild ketosis (brought about by limited carbohydrates in the diet) and do not handle dairy products well. Dr. D'Adamo gives some fascinating examples of type O patients whose cholesterol levels were unacceptably high and who came to him after all attempts to regulate them through diet and medication had failed: on identifying their blood types, he reintroduced lean red meats into their diet and instead limited carbohydrates, with the result that in one case he mentions, intractable cholesterol levels of 350 went to 187, and stabilized there. I need hardly add he doesn't advocate this approach unless under medical guidance! Their major digestive need is for pacncreatic enzymes.

Here are the link for Dr.Adamo "Eat right 4 your blood type" diet site http://www.dadamo.com/
Good luck,
Dina
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 10:21
Registered Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle-1
Since I was on Atkins a while, any bread, a sandwich, drives my b.g. up to maybe 300's! Do you get more sensitive to carbs when you were off them for a while?

IMHO staying even in mild ketosis (<50g a day) for a prolonged period of time lowers your basal insulin and sort of makes you even more insulin resistant. You body relies more on glucogen and it's level is higher than insulin now, meaning it's breaking fat and protein to make up for carbohydrates shortage which is also helps to lose weight. When you suddenly eat something that contains about 100 g of cabrs in one meal, you don't have enough insulin to handle this load and your BGs will shoot sky high. It takes some time to switch from fat burning metabolism associate with glucogen to glucose burning driven by insulin. For non-diabetics it's usually 36-48 hours, but diabetics may be different?
This is may be why ADA suggests diabetics to have a small meal every 3-4 hours to get constant insulin supply and keep BGs steady.
Cheers,
Dina
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 10:55
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
Perhaps it has to do with the Type O's, who have the hunter-gatherer type? Blood type O is most common, approx. 45% of the North American population.

DoreenT:
blood type O is also called "thrifty " genotype.
Since it's the most ancient blood type, they suppose to store fat in order to survive famine, and will be the last one to die in case of it. but also because of this strong fat storing genes, ppl with this genotype have higher level of insulin and can become IR if not careful with the carbs . I'm not sure if it's that simple bu I'm type O+, and I laways had to be careful with bread and potatoes in order to control my weight.
Quote:

It's kind of hard to imagine that type A's should all be high-carb eating vegetarians, because we know that high-carb, lowfat and lowmeat diets fail 95% of the time in the population as a whole.

I'm not sure if this is true, there are very slim and healthy ppl who either are vegeterians or live on a high carbs/low fat diet and feel fine on it. my DH is type A and even he's not a vegeterian he can't live without carbs like fruit and whole grains. He's not a big meat eater either. He can eat oatmeal with low fat milk for BF not be hungry for hours.
I can live without grain and don't feel deprived as long as i have some sort of animal protein preferably with fat, vegetables and some fruit for desert. I also know other type A who are slim and thrive on cereals, fat free yougurt and bananas. I'll be miserable and hungry all the time on this diet. I browsed the Metabolic Typing Diet book by William Linz Wolcott. This book was highly recommended by Dr.Mercola. The basic concept is that everyone is metabolically unique and one man's meat is another man's poison. This is link to a Dr.Mercola site on this diethttp://www.mercola.com/2003/feb/26/metabolic_typing.htm in case anyone is interested. The book didn't impressed me because for a mixed type it's hard to calculate your nutriotional requirements.
I'm not sure if it's the blood type or anything else but the concept makes sense to me.
Regards,
Dina

Last edited by dina1957 : Fri, Jul-30-04 at 11:00.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 02:16

BF:
Progress:
Default Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
IMHO staying even in mild ketosis (<50g a day) for a prolonged period of time lowers your basal insulin and sort of makes you even more insulin resistant. You body relies more on glucogen and it's level is higher than insulin now, meaning it's breaking fat and protein to make up for carbohydrates shortage which is also helps to lose weight. When you suddenly eat something that contains about 100 g of cabrs in one meal, you don't have enough insulin to handle this load and your BGs will shoot sky high. It takes some time to switch from fat burning metabolism associate with glucogen to glucose burning driven by insulin. For non-diabetics it's usually 36-48 hours, but diabetics may be different?
This is may be why ADA suggests diabetics to have a small meal every 3-4 hours to get constant insulin supply and keep BGs steady.
Cheers,
Dina

Good post, thanks. I'm not very scientific and will have to read it over and over to try to understand it. When you're in the Atkins mild ketosis state, "Your body relies more on glucogon" did you mean rather than glucogen, or is there a difference? Probably you could explain why I get pulled muscles so much, especially in my arms? Several doctors have not been able to. (I don't know if this is a factor but thyroid meds manufacturers have been changing potency, probably to sell more pills but I don't know if all doctors get notified, and a lot of people at about.com's thyroid forum besides myself had their usual dosage reduced instead of increased, some kind of mixup. Muscle pain is a low-thyroid symptom. Did Atkins make it worse? Even pulling leggy grass from under my shrubbery, which should come out easily, injures my arms again, spasms. )
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 10:39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle-1
When you're in the Atkins mild ketosis state, "Your body relies more on glucogon" did you mean rather than glucogen, or is there a difference?

Eagle-1:
Yes, it's glucogen of course, it was just a typo.
I came across this information. it gives some basics on biochemistry
http://www.medschool.lsuhsc.edu/bio...DIAB-040104.pdf
I didn't read this really thorough but it seems to be very scientific.

Quote:
Probably you could explain why I get pulled muscles so much, especially in my arms? Several doctors have not been able to. (I don't know if this is a factor but thyroid meds manufacturers have been changing potency, probably to sell more pills but I don't know if all doctors [quote]get notified, and a lot of people at about.com's thyroid forum besides myself had their usual dosage reduced instead of increased, some kind of mixup. Muscle pain is a low-thyroid symptom. Did Atkins make it worse? Even pulling leggy grass from under my shrubbery, which should come out easily, injures my arms again, spasms. )

hypothyrodism does causes muscles spasm and leads to injury, however, calcium and magnesium deficiency does make it worse. I'm not an athlete but do exercise regulary doing both cardio and conditioning exercise on a daily basis. i can share my experience only. being in ketosis even mild for me means constant muslces cramps and twiching, i couldn't sleep because of leg cramps and throbbing, even while taking calcium/magnesium supplements. working out was not easy task either, low energy and weak, aching muslces didn't motivate me at all. so, i've included 3 servings of organic full fat yougurt and this helped me tremendously without compromising my BGs. no more pulled and cramped muslces, throbbing and twiching, etc. i even started drinking raw organic milk (full fat) which has no impact on my BGs at all because of a high fat contents but made a big difference in a way i fill. since i've included dairy, i feel much better, and exercise again is enjoyment, not a chore. BTW, calcium is a must for a good BGs control.
So, make sure you got enough magnesium and calcium in your diet. if you don't eat dairy, green leafy vegetables, salmon and sardines with bones, cheese and calcium/magnesium citrate (if it works for you) may be helpful. There is also some information on the subject.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/...Common%20Causes
Regards,
Dina
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 14:32

BF:
Progress:
Default You Hit the Nail on the Head I Think.

Calcium deficiency is probably a big part of the problem. I threw out my old bottle of Coral Calcium to get some fresh and forgot about it. Also will try to get out and get a new supply of yogurt tonight. Bless you.

Going to the medline link now.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 15:42

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 145/117/120 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress:

I had terrible trouble with leg and foot cramps until I started taking a calcium/mannesium/vitamin D capsule which resolved the problem almost immediately. But it's worth noting that when I ran out and bought more, I accidentally picked up a bottle of the same brand, same strengh, but in tablet form. Within a very few days the cramps were back. I replaced the tablets with capsules and - within two days - no more cramps. I can only assume that the body absorbs it much better in the capsule form.

Karen D.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 04:11

BF:
Progress:
Talking Saw Some I Think At Kroger...

Thanks, Karen.

I think I saw some of those CAPSULES last night at Kroger, may go back and get them today, although I should be getting enough D from the milk I put in my morning coffee, also take magnesium and is coral calcium just as good as regular calcium? Guess magnesium has to be in capsule form. That's invaluable information.

Anyone know what's normal potassium on a blood workup? Is 4 good? Thanks again.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 04:18

BF:
Progress:
Default Chicken Leg?

Just wondering if my eyesight's reliable that the icon for a newbie is a chicken leg with a bite out of it.

Karen, is your blood type same as mine, A positive? We tend to have foot and leg cramps? Which are different from arm pain that's probably from a pulled muscle that keeps getting re-injured and/or from low thyroid setting me up for that.