Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 15:26
Registered Member

Plan: custom/Atkins
Stats: 152/145/138
BF:
Progress: 50%
Wink stores

Hi, I am hoping to open a low carb store, but right now I am just pleased to hook up with other so cal low carbers. On another site a group tried to get together for a lunch, but the dialogue has since sort of petered out. I lease just fell through on a place in the West LA area. When it happens (I am looking for a space in the LA area, if your interested I will go into more detail). Anyway, if any of you know of a place about 800 sq feet with a mop sink and hot and cold water, let me know!

I am dieing for some more cool weather and a little rain, is anyone with me on that, or are looking forward to a sunny Thanksgiving?

P.S. Humphrey Yougurts has a Thousand Oaks shop, and one in The Trianlge Mall in Costa Mesa, I don't know what they stock at the Costa Mesa store, but it might be worth a look.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 20:26

Plan: protein power
Stats: 260/260/160
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default another new so cal member

I previously had good luck with low carb, but a lot of stress piled up and I fell off the wagon. I'm at this again and I find it hard to get started and stay on track. Anyway...

if anybody is in the Torrance area there is a store on the corner of Hawthorne Blvd and Sepulveda Blvd-southwest corner, called Lindberg Nutrition. They have some Atkins products and have pretty good prices on vitamins and other supplements. They also have a website http://www.nutritionexpress.com/ so you can get an idea of what they carry.

Good luck everyone I sure know I need it.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 02:46
Registered Member

Plan: High Protein/low carb
Stats: 198/190/190
BF:
Progress: 100%

catlinc,
Us Orange Countians would welcome a low carb store here in O.C. where there is a lack of such stores.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 13:35
Registered Member

BF:

I just found out that a local O.C. on-line retailer, CarbSmart, is opening a store in O.C. (I don't know where, but I would like to) they currently have a booth at the O.C. Marketplace Swap Meet, has anyone ever checked it out? I was going to this weekend, but family obligations were number one. I'm going down there next weekend if anyone is interested in meeting and joining me.

I am going to stick my neck out here, and guess they have a lot of candy and snacks. You can also pick up an online order there. It is all on their website Carbsmart.com.

Cheers,

Cat
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-02, 05:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 277/223/180 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default I tried out carbsmart in person

In addition to their weekend swap meet at the fairgrounds one can arrange to pickup some of one's ordered items, their factory outlet is in Tustin, on McFadden (exact addy and hours on their site, but get there by 4pm) - be sure to place the order in advance though, you generally can't just walk in and scoop up things on the spot like a retail store.
I placed a carbsmart order online, and picked it up in person a couple days later (sometimes one can even pick it up within 4 hours of ordering it, but they're running a bit slower during the holidays). I really liked their Kristi's Exotic Dark Chocolate Raspberry candy bar.

In-N-Out's another staple, as well as El Pollo Loco, which I think tastes better than many other fast food places - YMMV.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 21:26
Registered Member

Stats: 178/163/133
BF:40%
Progress: 33%

Hi everyone!
I'm in the Inland Empire. All I have found so far is Trader Joes out here. Most of the grocery stores carry the Atkins bars, but I would love to find out where to find some tortillas, pancake mix and bread. What is the overall opinion on Atkins bars? Seems like I've read in a few places that they seem to stall people.

Can you guys believe our weather? I wore shorts last weekend. This weekend I'm going skiing. I love So. Cal!
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 22:27

Plan: Syndrome X
Stats: 254/218/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 67%

- All of the Trader Joe's I've been to do carry the tortillas...and they have new labeling that says they are made by La Tortilla Factory exclusively for Trader Joes...

- I've actually picked up the Atkins Pancake Mix (NOT the bake mix) at Ralphs. I've got 4 (yes 4) Ralphs near me and 2 of them carry the mix and 2 don't...

- The only place I've seen the bread is at Mother's in OC...the bread is only so so...the atkins sourdough make pretty French Toast and Grilled Cheese but sucks if you just want bread...however, if you want something that tastes closer to a good crusty restaurant French bread, try this recipe http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipe...pe-bread25.html I've made it a few times (in a breadmaker only) and thoughs it's a little airy, it tastes awesome...

- Everytime I've tried Atkins bars they just plain suck and they're too expensive when you buy them by the box...for money I like the EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control bars...they taste better than Atkins bars and Sam's Club has them for $15/box (12). They do have sugar alcohols and are likely to stall some people, but only 2-3g net carbs.

HTH

Brian
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 23:21
Registered Member

Hi Brian.I am definitely going to check out Ralphs!, and I added the Low Carb Luxury.com recipe site to my favorites. Thanks for the info
Sarah
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 01:40
Registered Member

Plan: High Protein/low carb
Stats: 198/190/190
BF:
Progress: 100%

Mothers market carries the most low carb products I've seen in Orange County. I to got the Atkins bread at Mothers and enjoyed it toasted with deli meat, cheese and mayo. One reason I like the Atkins bars is because of the fiber content of 9 grams. The cookies and cream bar is my favorite. Other low carb protein bars don't seem to come close in fiber content and having good daily fiber is a good thing.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 09:23
Registered Member

Stats: 159.5/151.0/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Be careful with those bars .... I am just starting back with this WOL - the first time I ate Atkins bars for snacks and lunch... I was NOT successful (as you can see - here I am again). I've since learned that they really have more carbs than the label indicates (I think I read on another site that in Canada they had to change the labels to indicate the REAL carb count) Anyway - BE CAREFUL in eatting those everyday, they might cause you to really stall.

Mother's in HB (Beach and Newland) is where I have found all of the other low carb products - the muffin mix was pretty good.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 20:57
Registered Member

Thanks for the info guys! I'm going to head for Mother's this weekend! I need varitey in my meals so that I don't get bored.
Here's wishing you all much success!
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 23:59
Registered Member

BF:

I think Atkins bars are terrible tasting, has anyone come across a good tasting energy bar? Maybe I just don't like energy bars, I like a couple of The Zone bars, I think I liked the lemon. Try O.C. Swap meet on the weekends if you want, they have a bunch of stuff at the CarbSmart booth. 3 dollars to get in, a couple bucks to park.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 00:01
Registered Member

We go to the OC swap meet pretty often but I've never noticed a Carb Smart booth. What is it located close to?
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 14:13
Registered Member

BF:

I found it across in the food isle on the south side of the meet, turn right as you enter. They have a bunch of banners. Better hurry, I hear they are stopping it at end of February, when they open a store on Beach Blvd. and Garfield.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-03, 19:19
Registered Member

Thanks for the info!