Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-11, 14:25

Plan: Ray Peat
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy B.
My variation on the Potato Soup "theme":

1.Boil up some yellow flesh potatoes - 2 large or 3 medium. Cook until soft, almost mushy.
2.Drain. Allow to cool. Peel. Mash in pan.
3.Add about 2 cups of milk, salt to taste, 2 Tbsp. of butter, and 4 oz. of cut up cheddar cheese. Warm until cheese melts, stirring occasionally.
4.Add a little heavy cream if desired and a sprinkling of garlic powder if you like. (I like!) :-)
5.Use stick blender or regular blender to puree to desired thickness.

I could eat this stuff morning, noon, and night!
I could add some grated cheese and small pieces of dry fried bacon on the served plate... hummmm......
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-11, 14:30

Plan: IBS Diet/Intuitive Eating
Stats: 321/194.2/199 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiBa
I could add some grated cheese and small pieces of dry fried bacon on the served plate... hummmm......

Oh my God, bacon on TOP of that soup? Makes me weak in the knees, just thinking about it! And grated cheese on top, along with the cheddar cheese IN the soup? That is decadent stuff! I could probably knock off the whole pan in one sitting! You are DANGEROUS, Biba!
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-11, 22:39

BF:

Five Minute Vanilla Pudding

1/2 cup milk
1 Tbsp. gelatin
1 whole egg (cold)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. sugar (more or less, as desired)
dash of salt
1 cup vanilla Haagen Dazs

1. Pour 1/2 cup cold milk into bowl. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp. gelatin on top. Allow to soak for a couple of minutes.
2. While gelatin is soaking, put 1 whole egg, 1 tsp. of vanilla, and sugar to taste (I used about 2 Tbsp.) and a dash of salt in a separate bowl and whisk or beat together.
3. Microwave milk and gelatin for about one minute, until milk is warm enough for gelatin to dissolve. (Don't boil milk.) Stir milk and gelatin until gelatin completely dissolved.
4. Add about 1 Tbsp. of the milk mixture to the egg mixture and stir.
5. Pour egg mixture into milk/gelatin and stir rapidly until well blended and smooth.
6. Add about 1 cup of Haagen Dazs to mixture and stir until ice cream has melted and is fully blended in. By the time the ice cream melts, you will have vanilla pudding! :-)

I just invented this recipe tonight! It is quick and easy, my favorite! And I figure it is a good way to balance the Haagen Dazs, with the added protein from the egg, milk, and gelatin. (WAY better than Haagen Dazs with cottage cheese! Ewwwww.....)

Last edited by Cathy B. : Fri, Aug-05-11 at 22:47.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Aug-06-11, 06:40

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
I just invented this recipe tonight! It is quick and easy, my favorite! And I figure it is a good way to balance the Haagen Dazs, with the added protein from the egg, milk, and gelatin. (WAY better than Haagen Dazs with cottage cheese! Ewwwww.....)
It sounds really delicious. <sigh>
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Aug-06-11, 12:39

BF:

Quote:
Five Minute Vanilla Pudding
The egg is raw, then?... I am still afraid of eating raw eggs! I still remember my father preparing eggnog at least once a week for me... sometimes he used black beer instead of milk!
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Aug-06-11, 13:02

BF:

Well, the egg is not completely raw. The milk is hot and steaming (just not boiling) when you stir the egg mixture into it. That is why I advise adding in a tablespoon of the hot liquid into the egg mixture before combining in order to temper the egg mixture first.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Aug-06-11, 16:03

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

That raisin cottage cheese bake looks good....for winter baking/eating.
He uses a cottage cheese that is not available to me here. It's smoother.
I was able to get it in Vancouver, WA. I think I would blend my cottage cheese to achieve that texture since I feel that the lumpy kind gets too firm when cooked....Same w the pancakes.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Aug-06-11, 16:33

BF:

Good point about the cottage cheese. I had the same thought when I saw the video, thinking, "I hope he throws that stuff in a blender because I have tried baking things with cottage cheese and have NOT had good results unless the cottage cheese was run through a blender. Just mashing it with a fork or stirring doesn't quite "do the do".
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Aug-06-11, 20:04

BF:

Quote:
Well, the egg is not completely raw. The milk is hot and steaming (just not boiling) when you stir the egg mixture into it. That is why I advise adding in a tablespoon of the hot liquid into the egg mixture before combining in order to temper the egg mixture first.
I will try that - very easy to do!
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-11, 07:24

BF:

Sweet rolled omelette

This recipe used to always be a "big hit" when we had unexpected visitors - we made a revival this morning, for breakfast...

Ingredients: eggs, jelly of your choice, coconut oil, pinch of salt, non-sticky frying pan.

Wisk the eggs with salt and pour into the frying pan (previously heated with the coconut oil); low fire...; when the botton of the omelette is "thick", begin to roll; after the first turn, add the jelly and continue to fold; add more jelly, if needed.

Enjoy!
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-11, 12:58

Plan: south beach
Stats: 168/168/125 Female 4'11
BF:

got to sub.to this thread for later,thanks
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-11, 18:52

Pozole. Posole.
I finally made a pot and it is outstanding. Really has very few ingredients.
I did a google search then asked my daughter. Then combined my new knowledge.

I chopped an onion and 6-8 cloves of garlic then put them on the bottom of a pot.
Placed riblets on top (needed to use them) and started the cooking. Meanwhile;
I brought a cup of water to a boil and tossed in 3 pasillo chilis. Let 'em sit til soft, destemmed them and blended them w a stick.
The meat was cooking by then so I tossed in some mexican oregano and ground up some cumin seed and added to the pot.
I placed a colander over the pot and poured in the blended chilis adding a couple cups stock/broth to get it all through except skin bits and seeds.
Added a 28 oz can of hominy which I had strained and rinsed.
Added some salt and brought it up to simmer.
When the meat was almost done I turned it off and then stuck it in the fridge at bedtime (after a taste and correcting the salt).
This morning I remove the little flat bones and hand shredded the meat.

This is so worth it.
I bought the wrong chilis but decided to go for it. Different chilis are used in different regions, anyway.

Oh and I added gelatine at the end.

You may want more hominy depending on how much starch you are consuming.....
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-11, 19:35

BF:

Biba,
That omelet sounds "interesting". I never had a sweet omelet before. I know the Japanese eat sweet omelets too.

Does your jam/jelly have pectin it it? I love strawberry jam, but all of the store bought stuff has pectin and I think that is on the Peat "no no list". (Am I wrong about this?) But sometimes I "cheat" and have some anyway.

Jem, that recipe sounds delicious! The hominy made my blood sugar high which was a bummer. I am staying on the "straight and narrow" for now after my disastrous starch experiment last month, but one of these days, I might try your recipe as a special treat!
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-11, 08:29

Cathy, this turns out to be 5-6 servings and I don't think my SIL (the Mexican) would think that there is sufficient hominy.
For me, a non starch eater, it is fine.
My 2 hr pp was 114.
It may be quantity related.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-11, 11:49

Plan: modified Peat
Stats: 202/214/180 Female 62.5 inches
BF:
Progress: -55%
Default No-Cook Marshmallows

Prepare a 9x13 pan with non-stick, coconut oil or similar. Spread a layer of shredded coconut on the bottom of the pan--I used un-sweetened Tropical Traditions coconut flakes. (I use my own homemade non-stick).

Marshmallows

1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla
dash of salt

Place sugar and water in a large bowl. I use my stand mixer.

3 Tablespoons gelatin
1/2 cup cold water.
Let gelatin soften in water, then heat until dissolved, doesn't really need to boil, and in fact it boils over easily.

Pour hot gelatin into the sugar water mix and beat on high speed for 8 to 12 minutes or until very thick and white.

Pour out into prepared pan, smooth top, cover top with more shredded coconut if desired.

Let stand until completely set, up to overnight.

Turn out, cut into squares, roll in more coconut if desired to cover all sides.

sol
P.S. I'd like to give the original website where I got the basics of this recipe, but I can't find it again. Above is my own variation..........the original recipe called for 4 1/2 teaspoons gelatin, which made a marshmallow I thought was too soft and fragile. Also, not sure how Peat-friendly shredded coconut is, but it is very yummy! The coconut isn't strictly necessary, but it lets the marshmallows turn out of the pan very easily.