Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-10, 07:16

Plan: Keto
Stats: 148/146/133 Female 5'4
BF:36%/23/?
Progress: 13%

to me there is no arguement what so ever as to whether you can lose and maintain (if you choose to) on a low carb diet. Many people here are living proof.

My bigger questions are whether there is a low term health impact of being a healthy weight low carb or low fat (which is very hard for me)
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-10, 08:13

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

http://freetheanimal.com/2010/03/is...get-a-life.html
Quote:
Another way the body dumps calories is through the inner mitochondrial membrane. This gets a little complicated, but I’ll try to simplify it as much as possible. The body doesn’t use fat or glucose directly as fuel. These substances can be thought of as crude oil. You can’t burn crude oil in your car, but you can burn gasoline. The crude oil is converted via the refining process into the gasoline you can burn. It’s the same with fat, protein and glucose–they must be converted into the ‘gasoline’ for the body, which is a substance called adenosine triphosphate (ATP). How does this conversion take place? That’s the complicated part.

ATP is made from adenosine diphosphate (ADP) in an enzymatic structure called ATP synthase, which is a sort of turbine-like structure that is driven by the electromotive force created by the osmotic and electrical difference between the two sides of the inner mitochondrial membrane. One one side of the membrane are many more protons than on the other side. The turbine-like ATP synthase spans the membrane, and as the protons rush through from the high proton side to the low proton side (much like water rushing through a turbine in a dam from the high-water side to the low-water side) the turbine converts ADP to ATP.

The energy required to get the protons heavily concentrated on one side so that they will rush through the turbine comes from the food we eat. Food is ultimately broken down to high-energy electrons. These electrons are released into a series of complex molecules along the inner mitochondrial membrane. Each complex passes the electrons to the next in line (much like a bucket brigade), and at each pass along the way, the electrons give off energy. This energy is used to pump protons across the membrane to create the membrane electromotive force that drives the turbines. The electrons are handed off from one complex to the other until at the end of the chain they are attached to oxygen to form water. (If one of these electrons being passed along the chain of complexes somehow escapes before it reaches the end, it becomes a free radical. This is where most free radicals come from.)

There are two parts to the whole process. The process of converting ADP to ATP is called phosphorylation and the process of the electrons ultimately attaching to oxygen is called oxidation. The combined process is called oxidative phosphorylation. It is referred to as ‘uncoupling’ when, for whatever reason, the oxidation process doesn’t lead to the phosphorylation process. Anything that causes this uncoupling is called an ‘uncoupling agent.’

You can see that the whole process requires some means of regulation. If not, then the electromotive force (called the protonmotive force, since it’s an unequal concentration of protons causing the force) can build up to too great a level. If one overconsumes food and doesn’t need the ATP, then the protonmotive force would build up and not be discharged through the turbines because the body doesn’t need the ATP. The body has accounted for this problem with pores through the inner mitochondrial membrane where protons can drift through as the concentration builds too high and by proteins called uncoupling proteins that actually pump the protons back across. So we expend food energy to pump protons one way, then more energy to pump them back.

One of the things that happens on a high fat diet is that the body makes more uncoupling proteins. So, with carbs low and fat high, the body compensates, not by ditching fat in the stool, but by increasing futile cycling and by increasing the numbers of uncoupling proteins and even increasing the porosity of the inner mitochondrial membrane so that the protons that required energy to be moved across the membrane are then moved back. So, ultimately, just like the rocks in my example above, the protons are taken from one pile and moved to another then moved back to the original pile, requiring a lot of energy expenditure with nothing really accomplished.

This is probably all as clear as mud, but it is what happens to the excess calories on a low-carb, high-fat diet.

Interesting take on it.

Patrick
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-10, 12:51

BF:

Quote:
...Stay tuned for the next installment of The Great Eades Smackdown, 2010!, when I’ll further discuss cheating, the Rabast studies, significance vs non-significance, the utter stupidity of using animal studies to prove a low-carb metabolic advantage, and more.

I'd like to see his answer to the bold part.

Patrick
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-10, 12:54

Plan: loosely PB
Stats: 197/135/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Animal studies don't prove anything in humans. But they're very valuable as a start. Two different things. Eades should certainly know that, but I have no idea if Eades ever claims animal studies as "proof" or if Colpo is exaggerating Eades' stance.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-10, 13:20

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

War zone type comment: I eat very (quite?) low carb, and it no longer keeps my weight down. On other sites I read that low carb gives you an initial loss but then stops. But the weight that did come back is spread far more evenly over my whole body.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-10, 13:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLL
War zone type comment: I eat very (quite?) low carb, and it no longer keeps my weight down. On other sites I read that low carb gives you an initial loss but then stops. But the weight that did come back is spread far more evenly over my whole body.

That is why I follow a diet close to PaNu. I can cycle low-carb and high-carb as long as my carbs comes from non-gluten sources. So sometimes I eat rice, potatoes or sweet potatoes. But when I eat high-carbs, I make sure to eat low-fat at the same time. Otherwise I will simply intake way too much calories for my needs. And when I eat low-carb it's always high-fat.

Patrick
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-10, 14:33

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

This may be a little of a sideways comment - but does it seem to you that all the people who get deranged at the idea of a metabolic advantage, are people who are seriously invested in exercise and the calories-in-out model, or both?

It starts to sound like it's really about the Very Idea!!!! that someone could Even Think!!! of choosing a diet based on the hope of using more calories without restricting more or exercising more.

I was thinking of the two most scary and shrill people I know of - Colpo and Jillian Michaels in that one interview with Taubes.

A Moral Panic school of thought.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 06:37

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
does it seem to you that all the people who get deranged at the idea of a metabolic advantage, are people who are seriously invested in exercise and the calories-in-out model, or both?

Bingo!!!

In my personal life, I have a bunch of exercise fanatic friends. Their answer to everything is more exercise. When I had worked my way up to 1 hour workouts 6 days a week for 2 years and NEVER LOST A POUND, they assumed I was lying about my work outs. Good thing I had a work out buddy to show that I was indeed working out as much as I said.

Then they just assumed I was some genetic freak and that is pretty much where things stand today...especially after my dramatic weight loss on low carbing without much exercise
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 15:12
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb IF
Stats: 200/188/175 Male 70.5 in
BF:
Progress: 48%

This Colpo guy might be interested in health, but he's definitely interested in character assassination. It's not enough to disagree, he wants humiliation. Sure, Eades can be criticized for certain commercial aspects and perhaps some of his advice is wrong, or needs updating, but his style is humble and accessible, unlike, say, Barry Sears and his Empire and his seclusion. There's a trend for these newer internet gurus to take on internet methods with internet bravado, such as that BS guy calling out Taubes and Eades - no discussion, no disagreeement first, it's shoot first and condescend later. And this Summer Tomato calling out Mark's Daily Apple - no disagreement or point of contention - just calling the guy a BSer on her site. While it feels good to hear a quack get called a quack, without first confronting the claimant respectfully and asking for a discussion, just puffing up and calling out names is internet cowardice - I doubt these people would talk this way in front of a convention audience. So these examples ensure that they will receive less of an audience from me in the future.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 16:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclements
...So these examples ensure that they will receive less of an audience from me in the future.

I'm not sure I understand who you mean by "they" here, bloggers like Colpo and Dr Eades?

Patrick
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 19:21

Plan: lc
Stats: 00/00/00 Male 00
BF:
Progress: 106%

i won't take the time to read colpo's response because 1) i'll only end up wanting to strangle him after 1 paragraph, and 2) the definitive studies on metabolic advantage have yet to be done.

i've read all of the 19 studies cited by colpo and found these 3 issues:
1. the studies weren't conducted to find evidence to support or challenge the existence of a metabolic advantage.
2. the studies were almost all hypocaloric, with participants taking in less than 1000/day in most cases.
3. although colpo contended - and now, apparently, defends - the notion that these studies were "tightly controlled", this is not the case. one of the first studies i read (i'll go back and check which one) notes that participants were going to work and returning to the metabolic ward in the evenings.

also, the idea that animal studies are meaningless in this argument is laughable. if a metabolic advantage exists in one species (i.e. a calorie is NOT a calorie), than it greatly enhances the possibility that it can exist in another. taubes provided great examples from the animal world (squirrels that fatten when deprived of food at the expense of bones and internal organs) that just blows the idea that weight balance is simply an energy in - energy out equation completely out of the water.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 19:46

Plan: lc
Stats: 00/00/00 Male 00
BF:
Progress: 106%

for an interesting read and an explanation as to why colpo only briefly graced us with his presence, see this:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=270965
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 21:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz
...I never said that low-carbohydrate diets don't have metabolic advantages, they do (and that's why I follow one myself), and I clearly stated that in both of the recent articles that you and others are attacking.

But the reality is that low-carb diets, while maximizing fat loss and minimizing muscle loss during weight loss to occur, do not exempt one from having to establish a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. Just because you didn't have to actively count calories, that does not mean that a calorie deficit did not occur--if you lost weight, you can be sure it did. My whole point is that many people, whether they like it or not, will eventually be forced to acknowledge, and accommodate for the importance of calorie in/calorie out equation. Those who belittle the role of calorie counting, who instead preach that carbohydrate restriction is the primary requirement for weight loss, are doing these folks a huge disservice.

Anthony Colpo
www.theomnivore.com

Hey thanks Eepobee for digging this thread back (you've been here a long time ). It was a very interesting read. I guess that Colpo has changed his mind on the metabolic advantage.

I think that acting like Colpo is doing nowadays prevents you from being a good researcher. Because he won't be able to change his mind in the future without hurting his ego. In the past I told everyone on this forum that calories does not matter at all and I was very arrogant about it (sorry to those who were affected by that, mea culpa). Now that I know a lot more about metabolism, I can see when counting calories gives useful information about our eating habits.

I'm not saying we should intentionally starve ourselves to lose excess fat, but calorie counting is a good tool to discover the foods that latter triggers an intake of more food than you require. The way physiology affects psychology and vice-versa. The way our body makes you hungry if it is missing some nutrient, like a particular vitamin or mineral, and results in an intake of way too much energy just to get enough of this nutrient. etc...

Even while calories do count, it's not just a question of how much we eat or burn in exercise. There are so many ways that our body can use more or use less of the energy we intake. It's not simple and simply cutting calories does not control where the weight is lost. Lean tissue, fat or even bones, etc...

Anyway, I try not to be arrogant anymore, because I know that I'm going to change my mind about important matters in the future and I believe that Colpo is painting himself in a corner by being so vehement about his current views.

Patrick
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 21:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepobee
...the studies were almost all hypocaloric, with participants taking in less than 1000/day in most cases...

Yep, I too believe that the majority of research on obesity should be spent on maintenance level intake or overfeeding experiments instead of on weight loss. I think the resulting science would be much more useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepobee
...the idea that animal studies are meaningless in this argument is laughable. if a metabolic advantage exists in one species (i.e. a calorie is NOT a calorie), than it greatly enhances the possibility that it can exist in another. taubes provided great examples from the animal world (squirrels that fatten when deprived of food at the expense of bones and internal organs) that just blows the idea that weight balance is simply an energy in - energy out equation completely out of the water.

<sigh> Yeah I know! I don't understand where this contempt of animal studies comes from. When I exchange with Lyle McDonald, if I cite an animal study, I am automatically relegated to the retarded camp. It does not matter which point I am trying to make. Ah well, maybe I am retarded and one day I will see why animal studies should be looked at with contempt.

Patrick
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 06:52

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I see animal studies as proof of concept. However, it doesn't always carry over to humans. For example, the rabbit and the high fat diet. If I'm not mistaken, a rabbit will grow fatter if fed a high fat diet. Now that's proof of concept but has yet to be tested on humans. Only once we test it on humans can we conclude that a high fat diet will make humans grow fatter. As far as I know, the only way we can fatten humans on a high fat diet is to include some carbohydrate. In other words, it's not the high fat content that allows humans to grow fatter, it's the carbohydrate content.

If it doesn't always carry over doesn't mean that it won't carry over for this particular hypothesis, because for some things it does carry over to humans. This is where we are at fault when we summarily dismiss animal studies in a discussion.

It would be funny to watch Lyle argue against carry-overs in his domain of expertise, i.e. exercise, muscle growth, strength, cell function with regard to the former, etc. I mean, it's all been tested on animals first.

Last edited by M Levac : Mon, Mar-08-10 at 06:57.