Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Sep-28-09, 10:53
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You might want to read Dr. Davis's blog. He thinks doctors are doing heart surgeries unethically. His program is "Track your Plaque" and it uses heart scans to access your risk and with his diet (low carb) and supplements he's done really well reversing plaque in many people.

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com
http://trackyourplaque.com
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Sep-28-09, 16:00

Plan: was Atkins now PāNu
Stats: 292.5/195/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I second reading Dr. Davis's blog....it has a wealth of information on it and I am starting to incorporate aspects of his advice into my Atkins plan (Madiran red wine, Vitamin D3, fresh cranberries...) and I am considering having a heart scan done in the new year.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Sep-29-09, 14:25

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

Thanks, I'll do that.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Oct-05-09, 16:01

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by joylorene
They put him on Lipitor and I see that it says to avoid a high fat diet while on this medication due to the fact that it is suppose to help reduce your cholesterol???

So would him being on atkins mess this up?

Read up on statins, would be my recommendation. The worst thing about statins is that they bring down your CoQ10 levels. Seeing as CoQ10 is a really important co-enzyme for the heart, in my book, statins cannot be good for your heart if they deplete the heart of one of its most important nutrients.

Statins have so many nasty side-effects besides these that I really would get some info. I believe Dr Malcolm Kendrick does a good talk on YouTube, which should be pretty easy to find. His book is great, too. My Dad skimmed through it, went straight off his statins and found that his knee pain went.

Cholesterol also hoovers up free radicals, so if you have high cholesterol, there is a reason for it: the body needs the cholesterol and has produced it itself in the liver.

I wish your husband a speedy recovery and good luck with your research!

amanda
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Oct-05-09, 16:16

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi there quietone!

You posted this:

Quote:
Had a cardiac event last week (wallking up hill, chest pain, left arm, left side of neck and jaw) and have been testing since (it stopped as soon as I stopped walking up hill). Tests were 'inconclusive' so now we're on to a cardiac cath as soon as he can sked it.

Do you supplement with magnesium at all? According to Stephen Sinatra, a cardiologist, a regimen of supplements may help to relieve a lot of chest pain symptoms and he has used these with great success with his patients. I have had the odd incident of chest pain lately, but my magnesium levels were also very low, too. I have recently started regularly supplementing with chelated magnesium and magnesium chloride and no longer use magnesium oxide because it was not working. I feel a whole lot better!!!

I recommend you look at the book, "The Sinatra Solution" by Stephen Sinatra and "The Magnesium Miracle" by Dr Carolyn Dean. With any luck, your heart problem could merely be magnesium deficiency. To make ATP, our energy packets, we need magnesium; if we are low in magnesium, we are low in energy, which can cause our hearts to work less well than they should.

Quote:
I don't mind having a cc/angiogram/angioplasty, what I do mind is having stents put in that are emitting medicines, being put on Plavix for a year and statins and lord knows what else.

I will not take a statin...period.

HURRAY!!!

Quote:
My cholesterol is only 142 for gosh sakes! When Iasked the dr about that, because even my internist thought I was doing great, he said that even tho 142 might be good for alot of people it might not be good for me.

When I was eating Adkins very strictly, my cholesterol was 120.

From my reading on the matter (Groves website, Second Opinions, Malcolm Kendrick), these numbers are too low, not too high! But I have no idea how to raise cholesterol!!!

Quote:
Has anyone had such an incident or been told they should have an angiogram and not do it OR did do it and they found nothing?

No, but I'll tell you my story on cardiac incidents.

I know that my arrhythmias are magnesium-related. I was diagnosed with them, but nobody at the doctor's ever mentioned magnesium! I had them because I was under a lot of stress at the time (new baby, not much money, working and being a new mum etc), drinking too much beer, too much caffeine and smoking and all of these things were massively depeleting my magnesium. I discovered that if I supplemented with magnesium, they went.

I have now discovered that taking chelated magnesium with magnesium chloride works best for me and I haven't felt these arrhythmias very often at all lately. Ask your doctor about magnesium for the heart as a first line of defense, I would say, if he/she looks at you like you're talking gibberish, follow it up yourself.

It wouldn't cost the earth to buy some good magnesium, take the supplements for one to three months and monitor your progress, writing down any physical or mental changes you notice and see if this helps your heart. I would bet my bottom dollar that taking magnesium would clear your chest pain up after a few months.

Just my two cents.

amanda
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Oct-05-09, 18:02

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
I think the question is not "Is Atkins safe," but "is it safe to continue eating a low-fat, high-carb diet with heart disease?" In my opinion, the answer is no.

I second that !

Patrick