Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-09, 11:06

Plan: Just clean eatin'
Stats: 215/185/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 43%

Tomsey - thanks for clarifying. I didn't mean to insult you in any way. I was just confused b/c I saw only posts in the War Zone based on your profile and history.
I agree that it's completely individual. Personally, I find that I lose weight on LC even though my calories are higher. I have tried a number of lower-protein, low-fat, high-fiber diets, and regardless of how low I went with calories, I never lost.

I do want to point out that up until 10,000 years ago, humans subsisted on a diet of almost all meat, with some nuts and berries based on what was available. Essentially, we're dealing with 150,000 generations of hunters/meat-eaters and only a few hundred generations of grain eaters. Our physiology has not caught up with the added grains, much less with all the chemical-laden fare that is available now. Until our bodies evolve to the point where they can readily process carbohydrates, most people do better sticking to a lower-carb WOE. Notice I said "most." There have been, and always will be, anomalies. (My DH can eat everything under the sun and his weight never changes, for example.)
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-09, 12:18

Plan: No caffeine, no alcohol
Stats: 175/154/150 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmmd
Hi Tomsey --- have you ever read Eat Right for Your Blood Type - Peter D'Adamo. It's an interesting read on what he recommends for an individuals blood type. For example I'm type O - and a higher protein diet is recommended. He also lists which veggie, etc. carbs are best and worst for a particular blood type. So while it may benefit some -- higher carbs may be better for others?? Who knows???

Anyway - it's probably pretty cheap on e-bay if you're interested.....Have a great day...

hey thanks

im familiar with it... im type b and dairy doesn't agree with me very much so I kind of discounted it all... but it is interesting and I know it does help a lot of people
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-09, 12:24

Plan: No caffeine, no alcohol
Stats: 175/154/150 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilly
Tomsey - thanks for clarifying. I didn't mean to insult you in any way. I was just confused b/c I saw only posts in the War Zone based on your profile and history.
I agree that it's completely individual. Personally, I find that I lose weight on LC even though my calories are higher. I have tried a number of lower-protein, low-fat, high-fiber diets, and regardless of how low I went with calories, I never lost.

I do want to point out that up until 10,000 years ago, humans subsisted on a diet of almost all meat, with some nuts and berries based on what was available. Essentially, we're dealing with 150,000 generations of hunters/meat-eaters and only a few hundred generations of grain eaters. Our physiology has not caught up with the added grains, much less with all the chemical-laden fare that is available now. Until our bodies evolve to the point where they can readily process carbohydrates, most people do better sticking to a lower-carb WOE. Notice I said "most." There have been, and always will be, anomalies. (My DH can eat everything under the sun and his weight never changes, for example.)

no probs, i guess i do like to argue a little

i've read a lot of the paleo stuff and i find dairy, legumes and fruits bother me, not so much wheat and potatoes... oatmeal, quinoa and many cereals disagree with me but i dont get much ill effect from say pasta.... I think i do benefit from a lower carb diet
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-09, 19:44

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

To Tomsey:

What is your total daily caloric intake (approximate if you don't know for sure)?

What percentage of total calories that you eat come from carbs?

I hear the argument all the time about our 10,000 years old ancestors and how our digestive systems haven't had enough time to evolve yet. That is based on an assumption that 10,000 years ago, our ancestors were not evolving and we know that can't be logical. For all we know, as a species, we're doomed in future years from now if we don't evolve to an all carbohydrate diet now.... I'm not saying we should eat to be like our ancestors or eat out of concern for our species survival. We should eat, be concerned that we stay healthy in whatever way we can achieve it and get on with living our lives as best we can.... It gets too muttled when we think one band wagon is better than the next.....
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 16:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/240/157 Female 163 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have read a vast amount of studies regarding brain function whilst on low carb. I think each person is going to react differently to this diet thus inconsistent results in any study for any diet. Yes carbs are needed for brain function and yes low carb diets have been known to slow thought process' down but, not everyone has this negative impact....so your point?
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 17:20

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Tomsey, if you will accept advice. Posting only a link to something either with or without a quote is usually reserved for the LC Research/Media forum or other forums as appropriate. Doing this in the warzone is like a hit and run. The warzone is not topical, it's processorial. We don't discuss topics, we fight our sides.

If you want to discuss the topic, you must put out your own opinion as well in the original post. Or at the very least, ask a question about the subject. You can do this in any appropriate forum but if you do this in the warzone, be aware that for some of us all bets are off and even you become a valid target.

This is how I see it and it's worked for me so far.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 17:25
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Tomsey, if you will accept advice. Posting only a link to something either with or without a quote is usually reserved for the LC Research/Media forum or other forums as appropriate. Doing this in the warzone is like a hit and run. The warzone is not topical, it's processorial. We don't discuss topics, we fight our sides.

If you want to discuss the topic, you must put out your own opinion as well in the original post. Or at the very least, ask a question about the subject. You can do this in any appropriate forum but if you do this in the warzone, be aware that for some of us all bets are off and even you become a valid target.

This is how I see it and it's worked for me so far.

Martin, Tomsey did the right thing, because he is an anti-low carber, and therefore only permitted to post in the War Zone. Had he posted his link in the LC Research/Media forum, it would have been moved here.

As for the hit and run comment, that seems to be a perfect description of tomsey. Fairly typical troll.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 20:00

Plan: hybrid Rosedale & Atkins
Stats: 313/222/195 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress:

Well, for what it's worth, I have been keeping a cognitive glitch log for the past 6 mos, and since i began low-carb about 9 mos ago, I have noticed decline. I turned 60 during that time, & I'm concerned because my mother already had Alzheimer's at 60 & died at 62. Don't know if there's a connection between low-carb and memory issues, but they are concurrent for me.

However, my friends tell me not to worry, that they notice nothing and the events I record are normal aging experiences. Time will tell, I guess.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 20:28

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilana09
Well, for what it's worth, I have been keeping a cognitive glitch log for the past 6 mos, and since i began low-carb about 9 mos ago, I have noticed decline. I turned 60 during that time, & I'm concerned because my mother already had Alzheimer's at 60 & died at 62. Don't know if there's a connection between low-carb and memory issues, but they are concurrent for me.

However, my friends tell me not to worry, that they notice nothing and the events I record are normal aging experiences. Time will tell, I guess.

Don't blame 9 months of low carb for what 59 years of high carb did. What do you think?
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-09, 19:02

Plan: Zero Carb
Stats: 200/189/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 22%

My DH eats high carb and is experiencing cognitive decline.

My money is still on low carb or zero carb being far less detrimental
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 14:52

Plan: LC since 1/15/09
Stats: 317/278/217 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Increasing fat intake for the elderly has been shown to reduce Alzheimers.