Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-08, 11:08

Plan: Test-Test-Test w/insulin
Stats: 170/145/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:approx 31%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantEven
Jenny -

Is there anything we can do to change this? I keep thinking what can the "little guy" do to make an impact and turn this in the right direction. It really pains me to know that people are not given the information they need to live.

I have been giving this a lot of thought lately. I am starting to think that perhaps it might be worth doing a guerilla campaign where people print out flyers I will put on my http://www.bloodsugar101.com site explaining how to test blood sugar after meals and adjust carbs downward until safe targets are met. Then people who want to participate would post the flyers in public places with bulletin boards, and leave them by the magazines at doctors' offices. Simple, stupid and effective.

I was just this morning talking with my surgeon who was complaining that most of her diabetic patients don't test. She's new to the area and I explained that the local family doctors are still telling people to test once a week, fasting, and prescribing low fat diets. She was shocked and said, "But low fat diets raise blood sugar!" I explained to her that it is perfectly understandable that people would not test if they are not told how to improve the test result. I am going to make some flyers for her to give her patients.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-08, 11:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232.6/207/180 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 49%

I am a type 2 diabetic. I have taken Metformin for two years and it has helped change my life and health. I started the Atkins program on Aug. 7th, 2008 and just had all my bloodtests done. They are Normal. My fasting blood glucose is excellent (due to Metformin). I am Canadian so my glucose meter and strips are very reasonable and I test at least three times a day, or more if I am feeling any type of symton such as shakie, or dizzy. I am taking Metformin 500mg three times a day (with each meal) and the goal is to get off Metformin as I reach my goal weight. I am now trying to only take Metformin twice a day (with Dr. approval) so I am testing more often this week. I will keep you posted (if you want) on how my blood glucose is. Regards Pam Katz
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-08, 11:56

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 285/275/135 Female 5'3"
BF:baby's got back
Progress: 7%

That is a great idea. I too have been thinking of guerilla-like tactics that may get the "big guys" to starts listening. I may do a walk for obesity this coming Sunday. I was trying to think of something I could wear or give to people that may make a statement. Maybe boycott the ADA in some way but, not sure if that would make an impact since their funds are not predominantly from the people.

I have to think some more about this.

Jenny - I submitted your name for a podcast interview. I don't know if that person contacted you but, they are a group of proactive people.

~Danielle
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-08, 12:05

Pam -

Thank you so much. That would help a lot since I'm still not 100% positive I want to take another medication.

~Danielle
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-08, 12:32

Plan: Bernstein (Guided)
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
I figure one step at a time in the right direction is a good start?
~Danielle

One step at a time in the right direction is the way to live, not just a good start.

The thing about changing one thing at a time, is you can keep track of the effect that anything you change has as you go. If you keep a record for yourself, on top of whatever your health care guys are asking you to do, you can stay on top of it your way. Computer, paper, pretty book...you can write down the parts that you want a record of then, and in your own idea of an easy format. Doing that was the easiest way to identify what worked and how well for me. You can even add rants about doctors that do not seem to care and how loopy the ADA are...
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-08, 12:37

BF:
Progress:

One of the tops from here maybe http://www.lowcarb.ca/store/store.php ?

Not Diabetes specific, but Skip the Low Fat or I've Got Friends...might be relevant.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-08, 14:27

Quote:
That is a great idea. I too have been thinking of guerilla-like tactics that may get the "big guys" to starts listening. I may do a walk for obesity this coming Sunday. I was trying to think of something I could wear or give to people that may make a statement. Maybe boycott the ADA in some way but, not sure if that would make an impact since their funds are not predominantly from the people.

I have to think some more about this.

Jenny - I submitted your name for a podcast interview. I don't know if that person contacted you but, they are a group of proactive people.

~Danielle

Danielle,

No one has contacted me for a podcast yet.

I put together a first pass at a flyer and posted about it on my blog at http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com .

Take a look and tell me what you think!
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-08, 16:03

Jenny -

I love it! I'm going to post these on bulletin boards around town like supermarkets and libraries. I'll also bring them to my doctors offices.

There is one thing I might change if there is room. Perhaps listing some of the complications of diabetes. Perhaps some don't know what they may be and it may have a bigger impact on them if they do realize what high blood sugar can do.

What I love the most about this flyer is that it comes across non-threatening. It makes the point of cutting carbs without sounding, for lack of better words, legalistic - strict - or an unachievable diet goal. Sometimes when you tell people "cut the carbs" they close their ears up to what you have to say but, by telling them to test after their normal diet and then test cutting back carbs, it puts the power in their hands to decide what goals they want to meet and what they are willing to do to reach them.

I'm someone that does pretty well with discipline and people telling me specifically what to do. others are totally turned off by it. It was excellent and non-threatening.

Okay - the podcast was from J.M. who is pro low carb. (hint hint) He may have a lot of podcasts set up so far but, he was excited and said he would contact you. A few others agreed with my choice of you - so know you are well loved and admired.

I'm going to continue to think about what else we can do or others ways to impliment this plan.

~Danielle
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-08, 16:42

You put your finger on why I love the approach that web page pioneered. It gets people doing what they need to do without a lot of rules and without telling them they are eating a specific diet.

I have also learned over the years that many people can eat literally twice as many grams of carbs as I can and get much better blood sugars! So no wonder they thought I was nuts when I was telling them years ago that they needed to eat no more than 12 grams at a meal. They can eat 30 and get normal numbers. I can't.

The issue with the flyer is space and keeping the message simple. If someone checks out the web site, they'll learn a lot more about complications. But people are so terrified when they have diabetes and it isn't controlled--often because they have been following the doctors' advice, eating the low fat diets, taking the ineffective meds--and watching their blood sugars go higher and higher. So harping on complications just drives them further into denial.

Many people with diabetes have seen parents and siblings die horrible diabetes-related deaths, so really what they need to know is that there is something new that will help that their relatives didn't have access to.

But keeping it stone simple is the key--so that if someone reads the flyer they can still remember the basics.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-08, 16:52

Jenny -

I can see your point. I do well with the scare factor and discipline but, yes not everyone does. I have seen my father and his mother die at age 61 over those complications.

Could I post the link at other forums, I frequent, to get people to post them and bring them to their doctors?

~Danielle

Last edited by CantEven : Wed, Sep-24-08 at 17:10.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-08, 16:58

Quote:
Jenny -

I can see your point. I do well with the scare factor and discipline but, yes not everyone does. I have seen my father and his mother die at age 61 over those complications.

Could I post the link at other forums I frequent to get people to post them and bring them to their doctors?

~Danielle

Please do! I am hoping this thing will go viral, because if we wait for the health establishment (you know, the folks who raise those $200 million a year in our name) to get this simple information out, we are going to be waiting another couple decades.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-08, 10:44

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Jenny -

~Danielle

Danielle, they did not have good, accurate home BG testing, the drug options we now have, blood tests that reveal risks and complications in early stages, and enable us to take good action immediately, access to the internet where a bunch of more experienced helpful people are online chatting about it, the more affective insulins people use now, or all the things that we still do not have, but might well see arrive during our lifetimes.

My grandmother did not even have a doctor, we must be better off now...

Plus, every time you have normal BG's, and everything you do that brings your BG closer to normal is an assault on those complications, before they have even got started.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-08, 11:54

Rachel (Love your name)

I completely agree. It is quite sad.

I must admit that they chose part of their destiny because they chose to ignore their diabetes. My grandmother refused to take medicine which led to her death. My father did little than take a pill daily to combat diabetes and eventually, he knew he needed insulin and didn't want to go to the doctor and find that out. He was afraid of needles. So, he decided to stop taking the pills as well. Parts of it were lack of knowledge, denial and a bit of lazy. Maybe not lazy - maybe it was quality of life over quantity for him?

~Danielle
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-08, 12:08

BF:
Progress:

Well maybe that is why you are so worried about losing your quality of life when lots of diabetic people maintain a fine quality of life ? This is one of my favourite principles from Bernstein...normal BG's is the same as being a healthy person...we just have to do more to get them. You and me are lucky, you know about your Diabetes early, so it's progress can be slowed, or stopped entirely, and I found mine out before it did anything I cannot reverse.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-08, 12:53

Agreed Rachel