Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-07, 10:46

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

I have a concoction of CO and organic shea butter that I mixed together. I'm sure I'll use it more this winter, but it takes forever to soak in and gets my clothes greasy.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-07, 04:58
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo/IF
Stats: 173/150/130 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

I think i'll definitely have to try the coconut oil, is there a specific one specially for skin or will any old coconut oil do? I don't use it in cooking so I don't really know about it. As for exfoliating, in anyone's past experience have gels, creams, gloves or brushes made the most improvement? I sometimes use a shea butter/sugar one from the body shop but it seems to irritate the places where I get exma occasionally so I'm not sure it's too good...

I've been almost completely dairy and gluten free for the past three weeks and I haven't noticed a change, but it probably takes longer than that to find out whether it's affecting it or not. I also tried to 'dry' it out...not moisturising for a while, but that didn't help either. So I went back to using palmer's cocoa butter as usual and it doesn't seem to help or worsen it. I think I read on a forum somewhere that bengay muscle-pain relief cream works?! I'll see if i can find it here in oz.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-07, 07:44

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

The reason I started the fish oil was because i read that it's the Omega3/Omega6 imbalance that causes it. So, even if you take fish oil capsules it should clear up.

I use the regular CO that you would use for eating because I developed an allergy to it internally. I think that's what most people use. I put some on DS's excema inside his elbow just yesterday and it looks a 1000% better today! I've never used it for that before.

Finally, I use dry skin brushing for exfoliation. It helped the back of my arms a lot, but didn't cure the KP like fish oil.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-07, 10:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/129/114 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

Something like 50% of women get this skin condition. The only thing that has worked for me so far is Amlactin 12% lotion. It is available over the counter without a prescription. It needs to be applied once or twice a day. It contains 12% lactic acid.

I have not tried, but I am sure there are other solutions out there.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-07, 20:14

Plan: uncommon sense
Stats: 173.0/135.5/145.5 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 136%

It's a seasonal thing - gets worse in summer. Don't go tanning unless you want skin cancer: there's no such thing as a safe tan (besides, tans age you). Just ignore it; most people have it. So what?
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-07, 21:01

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Tanning is one thing, but the sun is not dangerous unless you stay out in it too long. Not long enough and you're depressed.....
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-07, 14:59

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 282.8/244.2/120 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProteusOne
Tanning is one thing, but the sun is not dangerous unless you stay out in it too long. Not long enough and you're depressed.....

I'm with you. I believe from my reading that we should be out in the sun, just don't get burnt. Build up your resistance (which is a tan) slowly. And I don't use sunscreen either because of the chemicals. I think that people who spend time in the sun and don't get burnt are the ones that don't get skin cancer.

Kim
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Dec-05-10, 19:56

Plan: Meats & Veggies
Stats: 255/167/160 Female 66 inches
BF:??/36%/25%
Progress: 93%

Mmm... resurrecting a 3 year old thread. Yay!

After some turning on of the brain and Googling, I discovered the "baby acne" on my son's arms/thighs is actually KP. I also have KP, but it's an annoyance more than anything so I've always more or less ignored it. However, his went from "nothing" to "large patches" within three months - far worse than mine ever was. =(

I'm hesitant to remove the milk, since that's still a major source of nutrition for him. We're basically grain-free-excluding-rice, and I'm putting the final nail in the non-rice grains over this/next week - hubby is a wheat addict.

Of course, the last two things were major excuses, and I'l remove dairy/grains, but it's going to be hard...