Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-06, 11:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/167/155 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbahn
If you are saying that I do not worship at the alter of His Holiness, Dr. Atkins, you are right. Atkins is not a religion (at least not for most of us).

You might have noticed that this board is not dedicated to supporting Atkins - it is for support and discussion of ALL (non-proprietary) low-carb plans.

That there are low-carb plans that do not follow every tit and tat of Atkins is reality. That many of those plans work effectively is reality. That many people find success on them that didn't find success on Atkins is a reality - just as is the fact that many people find success on Atkins that didn't find success on other plans. That someone is capable of recognizing reality and is willing to state it is not a sign of being wishy-washy, it is a sign of being objective and dispassionate.

Your attitude shows a lot of disrespect for Dr. Atkins. You want to trumpet all the "other low-carb" plans that are just copies of Atkins with just enough variation that the author can claim his/hers is "better than Atkins".

The fact is that all of these other diets (including Southbeach) took at least 90% of their material from Dr. Atkins, who was the true medical pioneer.

None of them would exist, including the most popular, Southbeach ... if Dr. Atkins had not put his own reputation and career on the line and stood stedfastly in what he believed in. Which of the "other" diet doctors lost money year after year because they stood for "low-carb". How many of them are even doctors?

If it were not for Dr. Atkins, you would probably still be following the low-fat diets that made you fat and would have no hope.

So please do not disparage Dr. Atkins and his diet when people come here looking for support. If they want to know about the importance of Ketosis, they are on the right track. Don't try to disrail them before they even begin.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-06, 12:07
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
That is what it means for something to be "necessary". Since those plans do exist and they do work, it is demonstrable that neither ketostix nor even ketosis is necessary. They might be preferred. They might be optimal. But they are not necessary.

Ketosis is the process of breaking down fat. It is impossible for a person to lose (fat) weight without being in a state of Ketosis.

People who go on low-fat diets, low calorie diets, and even low-carb diets that do not restrict carbohydrate enough might still loose "weight". But what is it they are losing?

Without Ketosis, it is absolutely certain it is NOT fat they are losing. It is some combination of water and lean body mass. Losing lean body mass (catabolism) is one of the worst things you can do in dieting, as it will slow down your metabolism and reduce your caloric needs.

Catabolism is the process that takes place when the liver breaks down proteins and converts them to glucose. The protein comes partly from dietary intake, and partly from the breakdown of muscle mass and even the organ tissues.

This is what the "other plans" will do to your body. Only in deep ketosis does the body send out the proper hormones in the right levels to prevent catabolism.

If the goal is to lose "weight", any diet plan will do. Low-calorie, Low carb, Low-fat ... they will all cause you to lose "weight".

But if the goal is to lose "FAT", then Ketosis is an absolute MUST. Atkins induction seeks to establish your bodies ability to get into Ketosis as quickly as possible. This reduces the amount of catabolism as quickly as possible, and adjusts your body to the correct metabolic state to use body fat for energy.

After you get beyond the induction period, you then slowly increase carb intake. The rate of increase is tightly controlled in order to prevent your body from going back to a glucose based metabolism.

Other diets that skip this first step never establish the bodies ability to burn fat. People on medications or those with thyroid issues never discover the problem, and catabolism literally shrinks their muscles and organ tissues. They go on their happy way, thrilled about "losing weight", not realizing that they are destroying their body, while the fat cells have not given up an ounce.

These are the facts, this is why establishing Ketosis is important, and this is why Ketostix are part of the Atkins program. If you cannot get a reading on the Ketostix after a week of 20g of carbs per day, you have a problem which needs resolved before any further dieting.

Switching to "another plan" or concluding that Ketostix are just "a game" is to ignore what is happening inside your body. Your metabolism is not "a game", and Ketotix are the best indication of what is happening.

Those who follow Atkins correctly will do induction correctly, and establish Ketosis ... and will ignore the naysayers here on this message board who claim it is not that important.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-06, 13:42

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 296/178/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Much less
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds8957
I know there are some on this message board who do not like ketosix. Probably because they do not have the discipline to stay at a low enough carb intake. They can still lose weight without ketosis, but 40-50% of the weight will be lean body mass ... a very unhealthy situation if you ask me.
I beg to differ! I am one that does not 'like' the Ketostix because I rarely showed even a trace but, was dropping the pounds like crazy. I was drinking too much water to show the color change. I lost over 100 pounds in 10 months and have MUCH more muscle/lean body mass than I have had since I was in my 40's. I have the discipline to keep my carbs low enough to take off 111 pounds and not cheat even once in 14 months. There are many reasons for the stix not to change colors and it doesn't have to have anything to do with lack of discipline.

They are fine if they work for you and give you good (accurate) feedback, but they made me feel as if I wasn't doing something right, even when the scales and measuring tape said that I was doing it exactly right. I manipulated them once by allowing myself to become dehydrated and they finally turned dark purple, then I threw away the rest of them. The gallon plus of water I was drinking a day was doing more for me in losing fat than peeing on a stick.

Sunny!
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-06, 13:59

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

While I am more than willing to debate the facts and science, there is no point in participating in what amounts to a religious debate. We will simply have to agree to disagree and leave it at that.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-06, 14:07

Stats: 296/178/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Much less
Progress: 81%

Quote:
A bottle of 50 costs under $8 at Walmart. Elsewhere on the board here someone suggested you can cut them in half with scissors and get 100 tests.

$8.00 / 100 = .08 cents per day

.08 cents * 365 = $29.20 per year

If you cannot afford that, you are in pretty bad shape. Send me your address and I'll send you some Ketostix.

The cost argument doesn't fly with me
So what you're saying is that since I used less than one bottle before I threw them away (and bought a few steaks and a whole sirloin tip with my money), that somehow my weight loss of 111 pounds since September 15, 2005 is bogus, BUT since you are spending your $29.20 a year on pee stix, your weight loss of 49 pounds since November 2005 is evidence of how much discipline you have keeping your carbs low and is superior to my pounds of fat lost? I don't think so. You, being a man, should have lost a lot more in a year than an old lady.

Incidentally, if all my 111 pounds that I lost was lean body mass, I wouldn't even be able to stand up! Wanna see pictures of my biceps? Just because my Ketostix didn't show purple doesn't mean that I haven't been in Ketosis. I follow Atkins to the letter. Actually, better than to the letter. He allowed a lot of stuff that I have had to cut out to make this work for me.

Sunny!
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-06, 14:41

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
The reason I would assume you might not be doing Atkins is because you have a wishy-washy attitude about it:

" Well not all low-carb plans do not use below 20 carbs, so below 20 carbs is not really neccessary."

" Not all low-carb plans use ketosis, but they still work, thus ketosis must not be needed".

These types of statements would not come from someone dedicated to Atkins, they would come from someone who thinks they are smarter than Dr. Atkins was.

Dr. Atkins said below 20g was necessary to establish that your body was capable of getting into Ketosis, and to change your blood chemistry and metabolism.

People like you here on this board are encouraging others to abandon the principles Dr. Atkins fought so hard to establish. By telling people that below 20g is not really needed, Ketostix are not really needed, you lose the right to say that you are doing Atkins ... you are following your own opinions which have obviously come from numerous sources which contradict what Dr. Atkins taught.

I would like to encourage you to get back on the wagon mentally and get your attitude back in line with the REAL Atkins diet, before you fall off the wagon and slip into one of those "other low-carb" plans and ultimately fail.

At the very least, please do not discourage others here from faithfully following Atkins. There are people who come here who need support ... not excuses why they really do not have to follow the book. These people need to be told what to do, not given reasons to slack off.

Dr. Atkins says that using lipolysis testing strips (LTS) is not necessary and that the strips are just a tool.

From DANDR (January 2002 edition) pages 137 and 138: "You don't have to use LTS, but doing so can be an extremely convenient aid to doing Atkins." and "Remember, the strips are tools; making them change color is not the sole object of the game."

I am one who was never able to get the strips to show any color. I even got some freshly calibrated strips from a hospital lab and still could get no color on them. It didn't stop me from losing body fat.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-06, 15:54
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyCarol
I beg to differ! I am one that does not 'like' the Ketostix because I rarely showed even a trace but, was dropping the pounds like crazy. I was drinking too much water to show the color change. I lost over 100 pounds in 10 months and have MUCH more muscle/lean body mass than I have had since I was in my 40's. I have the discipline to keep my carbs low enough to take off 111 pounds and not cheat even once in 14 months. There are many reasons for the stix not to change colors and it doesn't have to have anything to do with lack of discipline.

They are fine if they work for you and give you good (accurate) feedback, but they made me feel as if I wasn't doing something right, even when the scales and measuring tape said that I was doing it exactly right. I manipulated them once by allowing myself to become dehydrated and they finally turned dark purple, then I threw away the rest of them. The gallon plus of water I was drinking a day was doing more for me in losing fat than peeing on a stick.

Sunny!

The Ketostix had exactly the effect that they should have. You did not get a strong positive reading, which indicated there were problems with your metabolism.

You were in contact with a doctor, and were taking drugs and/or prescription supplements.

In no way is this an argument AGAINST Ketostix, it is actually supportive of the fact that they will give you knowledge when there is a problem.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-06, 15:57
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Dr. Atkins says that using lipolysis testing strips (LTS) is not necessary and that the strips are just a tool.

From DANDR (January 2002 edition) pages 137 and 138: "You don't have to use LTS, but doing so can be an extremely convenient aid to doing Atkins." and "Remember, the strips are tools; making them change color is not the sole object of the game."

I am one who was never able to get the strips to show any color. I even got some freshly calibrated strips from a hospital lab and still could get no color on them. It didn't stop me from losing body fat.

But nowhere and no way did Dr. Atkins ever say that Ketosis was not neccessary, or that induction was not neccessary.

The Ketostix are a TOOL which reveal to you if the diet is working.

The headlights on your car are also "just a tool". You can drive at night without turning them on if you choose. But most people benefit from being able to see where they are going.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-06, 16:01
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
While I am more than willing to debate the facts and science, there is no point in participating in what amounts to a religious debate. We will simply have to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

I didn't expect much of a response from my last post. I typed it up because there are other people on here looking for answers, and I did not want them to go away thinking that they didn't really have to play those Dr. Atkins "games" in order to lose weight.

Ketosis is NOT optional. Any dissenting opinions need to stop claiming they follow Atkins
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-06, 16:02

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds5987
The reason I would assume you might not be doing Atkins is because you have a wishy-washy attitude about it:

" Well not all low-carb plans do not use below 20 carbs, so below 20 carbs is not really neccessary."

" Not all low-carb plans use ketosis, but they still work, thus ketosis must not be needed".

These types of statements would not come from someone dedicated to Atkins, they would come from someone who thinks they are smarter than Dr. Atkins was.

jds, what you seem to be forgetting is that most of us can have 30g or 40g of carbs in our diets (or possibly more), and still be in ketosis... so no, 20g is NOT required. it's a YMMV thing. CAD by the drs. eades ends up avoiding ketosis because of the "free hour" you get. does that mean nobody ever lost weight on CAD? of course not. and remember, just because people don't REGISTER ketosis doesn't mean they're not IN ketosis. you seem to have ignored that too.

i can appreciate your loyalty to the late, great, doctor, but why get so worked up over what works and who came up with it? you sound like a die-hard tolkien fan who's ranting about D&D not being "true" to the master, or worse, claiming that j.k. rowling outright plagarized tolkien.

nobody's abandoning principles, we're all just going with what works FOR US. if it doesn't work, we change it. if we didn't want to change, we wouldn't be here.

and hey... for all any of us know, wbahn really is smarter than dr. A.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-06, 19:02

Stats: 237/183/155 Female 5'7"
BF:Plenty, thanks.
Progress: 66%

Quote from DANDR '92 chapter 11 pp143
"Each persons metabolism is different and therefore will turn the sticks a varying degree of purple. In addition the time of the day, whether or not you exercise and what you ate at your last meal will all affect the test strips. Don't worry about the exact level of ketosis indicated by the strip. The important thing is to see how your clothes are fitting and what the scale says. And, remember, you don't necessarily need to use the strips at all."
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-06, 19:10

Stats: 237/183/155 Female 5'7"
BF:Plenty, thanks.
Progress: 66%

[QUOTE=jds8957]
Your attitude shows a lot of disrespect for Dr. Atkins. You want to trumpet all the "other low-carb" plans that are just copies of Atkins with just enough variation that the author can claim his/hers is "better than Atkins".

The fact is that all of these other diets (including Southbeach) took at least 90% of their material from Dr. Atkins, who was the true medical pioneer.

I trust you only drive FORD motors brand vehicles as all others are meerly imitators that have stolen from the original genius of Henry Ford.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-06, 22:51

Stats: 338/280/150 Female 65 in
BF:too much
Progress: 31%

no need to pee on a stick to know if your in ketosis...there's a free way even if your too poor to buy 8.00 sticks because you have big problems. if your pee is a dark yellow when your fully hydrated and your breath stinks congratulations, your in ketosis....

#29   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-06, 05:14
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/249.6/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

CAD was not written by Drs Eades. CAD was written by Dr. Richard and Rachael Heller.

Dr. Michael and Mary Dan Eades wrote Protein Power and Protein Power Lifespan Plan which are both very useful in understanding the science of low carbing.

I've never used a ketostick.

Beth

Last edited by Elihnig : Sat, Dec-02-06 at 05:19.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-06, 05:19

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default I'm impressed

37 posts and you want to tell us how to work our plans.

That says all I need to know.