Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 17:35
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsqueak
.... One of his older books I dont remember which one it mentioned something to the nature of fruit days where you only eat fruit for a couple of days, it has always worked for me. Some others may not be disciplined but I am. I do it deliberately to break the stall and it has ALWAYS WORKED.......
Just to note ... Dr Atkins' discussion about the reversal diet is specifically about dealing with cravings and temptations in our lifetime of low-carb eating in the Real World. Nowhere does he suggest using this as a "stall-buster" to kick-start weightloss during OWL. It was simply offered as a way to deal with cravings in a controlled manner, then get right back to low-carbing. Atkins also made it very clear that this was not to be indulged in regularly, as there are serious metabolic consequences to such yo-yo'ing back and forth.

On page 281 (DANDR, 1992/99 edition) he states:
Quote:
So, let's overcome temptation, not with our willpower, which is so often in short supply, but with our brains, a potentially unlimited resource.

Imagine that you're doing great, losing weight, feeling better than ever, thrilled with yourself, hearing compliments from friends and semi-strangers alike, and you want something you're not supposed to have. What to do?

There are three long-range strategies you can employ:
  1. You can talk yourself out of your momentary passion and stay the course.
  2. You can bend the diet, but not break it.
  3. You can fall into the non-strategy strategy and break the diet, in which case you'll have to act quickly to get yourself out of trouble. Or alternatively, you can break the diet as a strategy, which occasionally can be quite a useful technique.
Strategy 1. is self-explanatory. He suggests indulging the craving with something rich and fatty, such as macadamias or an avocado. He also suggests finding low-carb substitutes for the food passion.

Strategy 2. he suggests having a one- or two-day a week PLANNED increase in carbs, which can incorporate the craved food. But otherwise keep the rest of the week "clean".

Strategy 3. is where the reversal diet comes in ... Breaking With Intent. He suggests that if you are absolutely determined to have a forbidden food, then do so in a controlled, planned manner, not a wild out-of-control binge. But as others have noted previously, reversal means exactly that. You do a complete reversal from low-carb and high-fat. You will do it as high-carb and LOW-fat. Have a few all-pasta days, but low-fat marinara sauces only, no olive oil or cheese. Or some all fruit days. He even suggests you could try a stretch of Dean Ornish's diet!!

This section was not included in later editions of DANDR, because it had been so misinterpreted and misused.

hth,

Doreen
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 19:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/118/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 110%

Quote:
TRINA I never see more. Apparently you didnt read properly or totally missed the point but I find you really out of place with that post as it clearly said THIS WORKS FOR ME, so I suggest if you dont have positve feedback you SHOULD NOT POST ON THIS TOPIC.

Pipi, hon, while I respect the fact that it works for you..your stats say you are on Atkins induction. Nowhere are you near Atkins induction. In all fairness to the 100's of others who read this board, I think it may cause confusion when you post you are eating ANYTHING over 20grams of carbs while being on Atkins induction. Maybe you would be more helpful to others by simply puting 'neanderthal' or 'my own' as not to confuse others that are trying to learn. I think it is great you are discovering your body and your food tolerance, but you should state the plain facts...you aren't doing Atkins. There is a nice flip side to this too! If you have success on your plan, you have yourself to thank and can be helpful to others. That way, YOU take the credit, instead of giving it to Dr. Atkins.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Mar-27-06, 02:53

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi, Lisa N--

I see you've been at this for a while.

I noticed you're on Bernstein Diabetes Solution. Do you mind telling a little bit about it and why you currently prefer it to other plans?

Thanks.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Mar-27-06, 03:33

Plan: ATKINS INDUCTION AGAIN
Stats: 68.5/65.9/58 Female 170cm
BF:37.5
Progress: 25%

Oh I just love this ATKINS INDUCTION diet, so I weighed after ingesting 202 carbs minus the fib and I STILL did not gain but lost 300gm so my stall has be broken, and I will now CONTINUE TO THE END OF THE WEEK ON MY ATKINS REGULAR INDUCTION .

I am so happy THIS BREAKING THE STALL WORKS FOR ME.

Dane your advice was well appreciated. I love doing this break the stall sometime during MY ATKINS INDUCTION diet. Seeing that I usually do it like ONCE during a whole diet I think it is great for me to kick my body back into the burning mode and not stalling. Mind you, I was still in ketosis EVEN INGESTING THAT WOPPING AMOUNT OF CARBS YESTERDAY and still losing inches I just wanted to break the stall on the scale and my one day on fruits and some proteins proved me RIGHT. I love this diet. So now I can get back on track and keep shedding this horrible 18 lbs of EEKKK I have on my body I will not stop until it is gone and this time forever and I will NEVER let myself get Fat again. Then I will be ever so happy. Yeepeeeee feels sooooo good even measured and lost a bit here and there on the inches area . I must call up the other two girls here I know who are on the same INDUCTION and does this also to break their stall. Yeepee.

Last edited by pipsqueak : Mon, Mar-27-06 at 03:59.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Mar-27-06, 05:24
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipsqueak
Hey, last night I knocked down a 22.5 OZ rib eye steak with no worries
Mmmmm, I think we may have discovered a reason for your stalls. Do you usually knock back such a big load of meat at a sitting? A whole fish, a big-ass steak? A 22.5oz rib eye steak, lean and fat eaten, trimmed to 0" fat, contains 168gP, 106gF, and 1670 calories. That's ALOT to take in at one time--your insulin will spike from that (protein does cause an insulin rise, just not as sharp as carbs), plus it's doubtful your body can use all that nutrition at that time. I'm betting a goodly amount of that was stored away as fat, thus "stalling" you.

You might consider dividing up your protein intake to maybe 4-8oz portions at a time, rather than 16-22.5oz,
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Mar-27-06, 06:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane
Mmmmm, I think we may have discovered a reason for your stalls. Do you usually knock back such a big load of meat at a sitting? A whole fish, a big-ass steak? A 22.5oz rib eye steak, lean and fat eaten, trimmed to 0" fat, contains 168gP, 106gF, and 1670 calories. That's ALOT to take in at one time--your insulin will spike from that (protein does cause an insulin rise, just not as sharp as carbs), plus it's doubtful your body can use all that nutrition at that time. I'm betting a goodly amount of that was stored away as fat, thus "stalling" you.

You might consider dividing up your protein intake to maybe 4-8oz portions at a time, rather than 16-22.5oz,

No hon, I dont always eat a big ass steak like that but usually when I do it is at least 12 to 14oz but I have not had a steak in over 6 weeks so it was not bad to pig out at all

Since I started back the induction phase I have been eating a grilled chicken breast for dinner fish or shrimp or lamb or pork 250g normally so that is not the reason for the stall. It was generally the salted spice I was using. As I said the only part I wanted to shake was the scale. I have been losing inches to say the least now I want to lose both inches and pounds. And listen, the whole fish last night ended up being 250gm of meat the rest of bones and head When the fish was weighed it was fully finned unscaled but with the head.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Mar-27-06, 06:51
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Oh I just love this ATKINS INDUCTION diet, so I weighed after ingesting 202 carbs minus the fib and I STILL did not gain but lost 300gm so my stall has be broken, and I will now CONTINUE TO THE END OF THE WEEK ON MY ATKINS REGULAR INDUCTION .

I am so happy THIS BREAKING THE STALL WORKS FOR ME.

Dane your advice was well appreciated. I love doing this break the stall sometime during MY ATKINS INDUCTION diet. Seeing that I usually do it like ONCE during a whole diet I think it is great for me to kick my body back into the burning mode and not stalling. Mind you, I was still in ketosis EVEN INGESTING THAT WOPPING AMOUNT OF CARBS YESTERDAY and still losing inches I just wanted to break the stall on the scale and my one day on fruits and some proteins proved me RIGHT. I love this diet. So now I can get back on track and keep shedding this horrible 18 lbs of EEKKK I have on my body I will not stop until it is gone and this time forever and I will NEVER let myself get Fat again. Then I will be ever so happy. Yeepeeeee feels sooooo good even measured and lost a bit here and there on the inches area . I must call up the other two girls here I know who are on the same INDUCTION and does this also to break their stall. Yeepee.

Sounds like more FIBRE is just the ticket for you Pip.

Last edited by KoKo : Mon, Mar-27-06 at 07:02.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Mar-27-06, 07:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoKo
Sounds like more FIBRE is just the ticket for you Pip.

Dont know if that is true, but my stall has been broken and I cant wait to see the results at the end of the week
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Mar-27-06, 10:26

Stats: 140/118/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 110%

Quote:
Dont know if that is true, but my stall has been broken and I cant wait to see the results at the end of the week

Well good for you!! Keep those carbs HIGH up there, and I am sure you will continue to see those wonderful results!! Looks like your diet works well for you
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-06, 17:44

Plan: carb/cal cycling
Stats: 176/136/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Glad you are seeing some success with this. I didn't lose very well on atkins after losing about 20lbs, and stalled. I was able to completely unbreak the stall by carb and calorie cycling. There were a group of us doing this on this forum about a year and a half ago. It takes some discipline though. It was pretty successful for me, I also did weights, and built more muscle which I think helped a lot too.
I think there is a lot of logic in keeping the body guessing and shaking things up. It takes a certain person to make this work, typically someone who likes to step outside of the box.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, May-03-06, 18:15

Stats: 151/143/115 Female 62 inches
BF:37%/33%/25%
Progress: 22%

Can I use this as an excuse to eat my daughter's birthday cake on Saturday?
After a cheat, I have no problems getting back on track. (No cravings, but wake up the next day STARVING!!)
  #27   ^
Old Thu, May-18-06, 15:46

Stats: 241/233/200 Male 71
BF:
Progress:
Default Misunderstanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by coitrina
Well good for you!! Keep those carbs HIGH up there, and I am sure you will continue to see those wonderful results!! Looks like your diet works well for you
I think you may be misunderstanding what Pipsqueak is saying. From what I'm understanding, Pipsqueak has been in induction for at least three weeks and is in a stall. To break that stall, Pipsqueak increased the amount of carbs and decreased fat intake for one day only, then went back to induction.

Your comment about "keeping those carbs high up there" is not warranted and seem rather rude to me..as are some of your other comments.

Last edited by Dreadlocke : Fri, May-19-06 at 11:55. Reason: Adding emphasis