Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 13:52

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%

HI!

How are you doing these days? It looks like you got back on the wagon and see, I told you could do it!!! Keep it up.

A Thin Me
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 22:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167/159/125
BF:
Progress: 19%

Annie-
Wow! Did I ever need your post. Yesterday there was a cake in the team room at school. I ate a piece. Wierdest thing, instead of satisfying me it made hungrier. I was sorta like when I tried to quit smoking several different times and I would have a cigarette - one wouldn't do...I had to have several in a row. (Thank goodness I think I might have that whipped I haven't smoked now in almost 11 months.) Anyway, tonight was my bowling league night. I got really hungry bowling - I went to the snack bar and asked for a grill cheese sandwich without the bread and not grilled. They handed me a piece of cheese but wouldn't charge me so I bought a drink - rasberry tea. It was too sweet to drink. I should have just gotten plain iced tea. I really don't like diet drinks. I didn't drink it. I got a package of peanuts - felt like that wouldn't be too bad. I got home and ate some sugar free jello and pork rinds and am finally satisfied. It was really hard resisting a candy bar but I did.
I keep thinking about the 40 or so pounds I've gained over the last 5 years and I know I want it off. I really already feel better and think I can tell that some of the bloat and fat are going. All the water I drink really helps.
This summer I did a modified body for life plan from my gym. It was really working but eating every three hours is hard to do at school. ( I teach) It seems I have gotten out of the habit of going to the gym also. I really need to start that again, too. Maybe next week.
Anyway thanks again for much need encouragement.
Janet
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 15:46

Plan: Atkins OWL + PP Phase II
Stats: 160/142/130
BF:?%/25.6%/20%
Progress: 60%
Unhappy RE: Thursdays aka Doughnut Days

Oh Janet I hear you loud and clear. Why does it seem like over half the world is trying to sabbotage us low carbers? Thursdays at my work are Doughnut Days and I can smell those little buggers the moment I walk into the office. Then I get to smell them everytime I walk through the breakroom. I finally had one last week (1st time in over 2 months) and it really wasn't what I expected at all. It was actually too sweet and the texture seemed weird to me. I would've been fine if I just ate a bite and tossed the rest. Then over the weekend at the cabin for my sister's birthday party, I had a small piece of cake. I ended up just skipping back to Induction foods for piece of mind. Mostly, I just didn't get all the calories I needed for the day and ended up feeling tired Sunday and into Monday.

But let me tell you how wonderful those Mock Danishes are! I don't know why I never tried them before. OMG my breakfast one with cinnamin was delicious. Then I've been trying more low carb recipes and even altering some of my other recipes so they're low carb too. For starters, I made a Swedish meatball recipe low carb last night by replacing the flour for a little cornstarch and then I didn't use the bread crumbs, just a 2 little crackers for the meatballs. I was able to get my 9 carbs per serving recipe down to 8.5 total carbs for the whole recipe! I was totally pumped! And the recipe was so good the fiance actually said "Delicious dinner, babe". I was shocked. He wasn't too into the idea of low carb when I first started talking about it but he's coming around.

Oh, and dessert... I made a no bake low carb cheesecake. YUMMY and talk about loaded with fat! I love this WOE. And at only 4 carbs for a generous piece, how I can go wrong. Fiance was a little scared but said it was good just not very sweet. Well, I just don't need a heck of a lot of sweet anymore. I found it hard to finish my piece actually. I used a pecan crust and whipped cream and 2 packages of cheese cream for the filling. A scant 1/2 cup of splenda and a splash of vanilla. I don't understand a few things yet like the like why my regular cream cheese has more carbs than the philly light and why the carb counters are wrong about that.

After all my cooking and "baking" last night I was at 30 carbs - 2 fiber carbs = 28 total carbs! I couldn't believe it. I'm finally getting into this WOE and feeling great. My energy is total up. My calories are like 1800 to 2000 per day. My carbs are around 30 and I'm cooking!

I've never felt like this on a "diet" before. I'm totally getting into this WOL.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Annie G.

PS - Of course, it's weigh in for me tomorrow. I'm measuring too. My attitude may change.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 17:24
Registered Member

BF:
Red face

Annie-
That cheese cake sounds delicious. Can I have the recipe?
I love the Mock Danishes also.
Today was not a good day for me. We have 2 days of inservice at school. During break I walked down to the coffee area and foolishly had a kolache then another ! At lunch we had chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes/gravy, green beans, and a roll. I was going to ask for just the steak and green beans and take the breading off the steak. Before I could do that I was handed my plate with everything on it. So of course I ate it! Tommorow I'm going prepared with pig skins, cheese, a mock danish for break. I'm NOT going to the coffee area. Lunch will be fajitas so that should be much easier. I hope this doesn't set me back to much. I think I will just add a day to my induction.
JanetM
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 12:56

Plan: Atkins OWL + PP Phase II
Stats: 160/142/130
BF:?%/25.6%/20%
Progress: 60%
Post Cheesecake recipe

The recipe I used was from somewhere on the lowcarbluxury site. Can't find it, but it's easy to remember.

1 pint of whipping cream
2 packages of cream cheese (i used 1 philly reg, 1 philly light)
1/2 to 3/4 cup Splenda (i used 1/2 cup)
1 T of vanilla (1 used 1 teaspoon)
That's it for the filling.
Blend cream cheese, vanilla and Splenda in food processor or mixer. Whip cream to medium-stiff peak stage. (i messed up and didn't whip it enough) Fold in cream cheese mix.

Crust
1 cup of chopped pecans
2-3 T of melted butter
1 T of Splenda
Chop pecans further in food processor til consistancy of graham cracker crumbs. Mix all in pan (supposed to be springform, i used a pie pan) Spread and press into pan.

Pour in cream cheese/whipped cream mix. Let set in freezer for 1-2 hours or in fridge overnight.

Very simple.

I cut it into 8 pieces and figured with my "easy on the Splenda" about 4 grams of carbs but a little fiber from the nuts got it down a bit, maybe 3 grams. Don't know for sure. But YUM it's good. Not quite as firm as real baked cheesecake but it works for me, taste wise.

Annie

PS - at weigh in this morning, still 149. at least i didn't gain
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 16:13
Registered Member

BF:
Talking

Good for you and the weight.
I weighed 160 this morning so I guess it didn't hurt me either. I did much better today and actually have more energy. We had fajitas so I took my salad and just got a plate of meat and ate that with the salad. It was good.
Now for the weekend.
Thanks for the recipe.

Janet
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 17:01

Stats: 169/153/120 Female 62"
BF:Start38%
Progress: 33%
Default Down 3.5 this week

Hi Everyone!

Just dropped in to let you know. I started January 1 at 162lbs and it's now February 8 and I'm at 148.5. So down 13.5 lbs.
I'm pretty happy with that. Fell off the wagon a few times too, but still very satisfied with my results.

Hope you're all doing well. I'm looking to August for goal fo 125.

Where are you at Agonycat? Piglet?

Good luck to all of you.

Ruby
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 17:32
Registered Member

BF:

Ruby..way to go! I am down to 160. Yesterday was a bad day as far as eating went but it's better today. Keep checking back with us.
Janet
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 11:33
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 161/151/130
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default 160s to 125 club

Hey girls,
Can I pleassssse join your club? I have been searching everywhere for a place to fit in!! I am so glad I found you all! I have added you all to my buddy list(now all I have to do is figure out how to work THAT), but anyway... I am in day 15 of induction. After no luck AT ALL for 2 weeks, when I was reading everyone else's success stories, I was really getting bummed out. I had a
couple of things stalling me at the start, such as weaning off a presciption medication(pre-menopausal) that my Dr. said was responsible for my weight gain. I am still not in ketosis(I broke down and bought the stix) even tho I drown myself in water. I think the meds may have had something to do with that. Anyway, I was getting so discouraged. Does anyone else feel that the first 2 weeks of induction feel like 2 months?
I kept seaching all the links(turtle club, newbies, etc) and a few people were mentioning that they tried the Reversal Technique to jump start themselves, like filling up on extra carbs for a day or so, and they saw instant weight loss. Soooo, I decided what the heck, let's try it. I had made Beef Stew for my family last Weds nite, and decided to indulge with them. I ate mostly meat, but did have some of the potatoes and carrots, no bread, and the next morning had rice chex(1/2 cup with 1% milk), just enough to satisfy but not fill me up. So, that was Thurs morning, and Friday morning, when I weighed myself, I had dropped 5 LBS!!!! My first weight loss!!! Maybe it was a coincidence, maybe not!! And yes, I have cheated all along and have weighed myself everyday, mostly because I needed to know why I wasn't losing weight. So, I don't plan on doing this Reversal all the time, but I have added a few wheat thins to my daily snack(about 8-10). I am also following some advice I read and I am eliminating most eggs and cheese for awhile. I will still make my crustless quiche, which is wonderful, and I can take it to work with me. Well, now that I have bored you all to death, please do not kick me out of the club. I do tend to get lengthy, but I promise I will work on that. I am turning 50 tomorrow, so have mercy on me!!! LOL Best of luck to all of you. You girls seem to be doing awesome. I will be your cheerleader!!!

Talk to you soon!!

Jonee
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 14:13
Registered Member

BF:
Talking

Welcome to our little group Jonee!
It's amazing how posting helps. It's good to hear how others are doing also. I am really trying to stay with this. It's been pretty easy this weekend. I walked yesterday afternoon and got up this morning and walked again. It was really cold here (well cold for central Texas) and the wind was blowing so I only walked about 3/4 of a mile but I figure that was better than sitting around. My next step is to get back to exercise.
How did you do the Buddy list thing. I haven't done that but guess I will try to figure it out.
Janet
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 22:34
Registered Member

BF:

Hey Piglet,
Thanks so much for your welcome!! I was hoping to hear from one of you!! I checked your profile, and we have the same starting date(Jan 26). We can challenge each other to keep going!
I don't know how the buddy list works/ I have to figure that out. But at the bottom of each post, there is a buddy icon that will place the person's sn in your buddy list. Boy, are we classic newbies or what! We'll get the hang of it. I will catch up with you soon. Good luck. I will be rooting for you.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 05:15
Registered Member

BF:

Jonee-
I finally figured out how to get the Buddy thing to work on Sunday. Or at least how to add people to my buddy list. Like you I'm not sure about how to make it work but I'm sure we will figure it out. We went out to work with a friend last night. We went to a chineese buffet. I managed really well with crab legs and shrimp instead of soup and then beef and brocoli,ect.
I can tell this is working. The bloating is going away. Now if I could just get my exercise program jump started.
Janet
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 06:39
Registered Member

BF:

Janet,

About the bloating relief, that is what is keeping me going. Even if the scale doesn't move, just to bend down and not have my stomach knock me over if great. A month ago, I could not suck my stomach in because it was so full, now I can( I guess that is what is considered water weight). I wore pants to work yester day that were too tight to wear all fall and winter, and they were pretty comfortable---but tight by the end of the day-that's ok tho. Now I just wish I would go into Ketosis. It still doesn't register, but maybe this week. I don't get that at all. Oh well, you sound like you are doing great! Keep is up---talk to you soon.

Jonee
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 19:28
Registered Member

BF:

Jonee-
I am in low keotsis ( I never spell that right but you get the idea). My clothes are fitting better. I have a pair of pants that I got for Christmas that I have not worn because they are too tight. Hopefully soon they will fit. My weight is staying the same but maybe that will change soon. I don't think I'm drinking quite enough water and maybe getting too many carbs. I really need to start doing the carb counting thing. Maybe I'll get it started this weekend and will be able to keep up with it.
Janet
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 20:34
Registered Member

BF:

Janet, We got too excited at those first 5 lbs. Last nite I weighed myself when I went to bed(wrong thing to do at the end of the day), and got bummed cuz there was weight gain, but this morning it evened out. I put a nylon jogging suit on today that I got about 2 years ago. The pants have been tight and that makes them shorter, but I wore them occasionally anyway. Well, today, they fit real nice and the length was coming down(am I making any sense)? So, even tho those stupid little sticks stay beige(I'm really hating them), I guess I am in ketosis a bit, huh? If not, let's just pretend we are like everyone else!!! Sounds like a plan... Keep those Xmas pants hanging out where you can see them and try them on once a week--betcha fit in them sooner than you think. Like you, I don't think I eat correctly all the time. But as long as we aren't cheating with breads or sweets, we will be ok. Did you find the link fitday.com yet? It's pretty cool. You can calculate all your carb intake each day. Well pal, I will talk to you soon. DRINK!!!!!!!!!!!