Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-06, 21:52
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

deleted b/c my question wasn't relevant to the discussion.

Last edited by Citruskiss : Fri, Feb-10-06 at 08:54.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-06, 21:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromom
You might want to try counseling. DH and I were having a lot of problems after he had a vasectomy. I did not want him to have it done, but he didn't care. Apparently in the state of Indiana the wife does not need to give consent and the doctor he had to use because of our insurance doesn't give a crap about the wishes of the wife. I basically told him that he either needs to go to counseling or I was outta here. We went. Things are better, still not GREAT, but better.

By the way if any man wants to chime in here it might help. I've seen a lot of posts about women and sexual issues dealing with weight, but nothing really from a gentlemans perspective.

Congratulations on feeling sexy and projecting that to others around you. I do sometimes wish that someone other than DH would show interest, but I must not exude sex appeal.

You wanted it, you got it....

My sex drive has always been higher than that of my DW. Now it is 10 fold more than before!! Hers however is at a new low!

I did get some insights while reading this thread. I'd be willing to bet my success is making her feel worse about herself, and even though I tell her everyday she is still sexy, and I love her and so on, well it sails in one ear and out the other...

Frustrating is not the word for it either!

BTW, I had the vasectomy done after our last child, and thought that would also remove many of the excuses why we weren't intimate. Wrong! I began to think she no longer found me attractive as I weighed a so much more than when we were dating. Now that I weigh as much, or less than when we were dating she is more hands off. To quote Vinne Babarino, "I'm SO CONFUUUUSED!!"

Also, I am one of the "lucky" few who experience long lasting issues due to having the surgery. I can deal with it, at least I have been, but just a little sympathy and not getting the old eye roll when I try and talk about the issues....well, it would make a lot more of a difference to me. Just once I'd like her to tell me I'm special, and wanted.

Sorry, didn't mean to go down the "poor little me" trail.....

As to the counseling, I once suggested we seek help, or she talk to someone about always being depressed (her words not mine) and she flipped out!! So I won't be crossing that bridge anytime soon! I can hardly wait till menopause hits! No, not for anyone to say poor little me...I can't imagine how that is going to make her feel!!!

Last edited by ProfGumby : Thu, Feb-09-06 at 22:09.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-06, 22:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shewolf8
Hi everyone. I don't think that I have ever seen anyone post this question. I have had a tremendous increase in my sexual desire. I think about it all the time. My husband on the other hand is extremely overweight, and tried low carb, just can't do it, he is eating low fat and the doctor put him on zenical to make him eat low fat or pay the price, but, he has ZERO desire. I keep resenting him so much for this. He told me that it is not me, that it is him. He feels so self conscious, and has such low self esteem that he won't even take his clothes off in front of me. I have talked to him, I have told him that I want him for who he is, but he just won't. I even asked him to talk to his doctor about it, and he says that he is too embarrassed. Now, I again, am thinking that it is something gross about me that he can't stand to touch me. Guys flirt with me all the time, I have even been asked out for coffee from the guy who fixed my car the other day, of course, I don't tell my husband these things. I think that it would just make him feel worse. I love my new body, but I need a sex life too!! I have someone hitting on me, who says that he doesn't care if I am married, he is married too. The thing is, I do care. I don't want to do anything stupid, but come on, 6 months is a long time between romantic interludes for anyone. I never thought that I would have this happen to me!! He makes me feel dirty too, if I talk about it too much. It isn't the most important thing, but it is one of the important things. There is no touching, hugging, nothing! What should I do???????? Has anyone had this kind of thing happen after loosing a lot of weight???? or even a small amount of weight???

Wow, now that I re read your post, if you were to switch the gender roles in your experience, it would be exactly my life experience here! I have your side of the story, my DW has your hubbies side of the story! Except for the someone hitting on me, that hasn't happened in decades....

As I have said, I love her dearly, but this is very difficult. I can do nine months (between romantic encounters) standing on my head and have done so several times..

Does your hubby insist that the encountes be his way or no way too? That is also very trying! No communication, no wants, no suggestions on what she may need, or like...just her way and that's it. Sometimes not having to feel like shit afterwards is a blessing to me. Sorry if this is too personal.

Switching gears...

I have been reading a lot of books, and have noticed somewhat of an improvement in her general attitude and affection around the house, but in private, during any alone time, zip, nada!

I just keep trying to be the best husband and father I can be. But it is tough when all I need do is one little thing, not to her liking, and I am in the dog house and get the cold shoulder for days!

I wish the best for you!

Last edited by ProfGumby : Thu, Feb-09-06 at 22:13.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-06, 22:09

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

Quote:
Arc, it would have been ok, if I'd agreed, but I did not. Therefore, if I wanted more kids, I'd have to find someone who wasn't shooting blanks. I felt as if it was a couple decision, not only his decision. He eliminated me from that equation.

Fair enough. I believe it's a couple's decision, too.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-06, 22:54

Plan: Atkins/Eades
Stats: 360/277/170 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Some possinble things to consider.

I don't know his age but a man's desire does moderate as he ages especially after 40.

Weight gain and metabolic disfunction can certainly effect hormonal balance and thus drive.

Low fat screws up a lot of things. Maybe it messes up sex drive also.

The medication should be considered also.

Quote:
Not to highjack this thread, but I did not agree to the vasectomy, which is where the problem was. Arc, it would have been ok, if I'd agreed, but I did not. Therefore, if I wanted more kids, I'd have to find someone who wasn't shooting blanks. I felt as if it was a couple decision, not only his decision. He eliminated me from that equation.

Camaro has it exactly right. It is good to remember the "Two shall become one" thing when making such decisions.

mike
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-06, 23:22
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

If your DH is overweight, hes he ever been checked for diabeties? When I was at my heaviest with BG of 500 one of the symptoms was ED. Not that I didn't have the desire......it just didn't work. Since getting my diabeties under control this is no longer an issue as I have regain full control of my faculties. You might have more luck trying to convince your DH to get checked for Diabeties as a cause of his inablity. Just a though.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 09:37

Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%

[QUOTE=ProfGumby]
I just keep trying to be the best husband and father I can be. But it is tough when all I need do is one little thing, not to her liking, and I am in the dog house and get the cold shoulder for days!
QUOTE]

Dude, somethings eating her, you should really talk to her about it. Me and my dh: We dont have issues, we have VOLUMES, dig-and the only way anything ever gets worked out is through talking about it. It festers, otherwise, and no one is happy. Yah, the talking about it is hard, but whats the alternative: being miserable til you die!??! The sex thing is one challenge-but simple affection denotes something else entirely. TALK!! Id advocate sending the kids away for the weekend and some mdma, to facilitate the conversation, but that would be just wrong.

And heres a hint since youre a guy: The most powerful aphrodesiac? Coming home to a clean kitchen. Fo' Real. And if my stay-at-home DH has taken the 5 minutes to throw something in the crockpot, Im all OVER him.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 09:56
Registered Member

Stats: 269/244/195 Male 72in
BF:33/29/15
Progress: 34%

Last year I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, and one of the many side effects is a decreased sex drive. Mine actually went to zero, and after 2 years my S/O of ten years moved out. During that 2 year period she also lost nearly all of her excess weight, probably fifty pounds, while I just stayed the same or gained. Sleep apnea makes you gain weight and makes it nearly impossible to lose it. I didn't feel very sexy either.

So while I ignored her needs, she got herself in shape, moved out, and a year later got married to someone she met at work.

Now I just turned fifty, am 80 pounds overweight, haven't been intimate with anyone in years, and don't feel very attractive either. Who would date a fat older guy?

I wish I had been diagnosed years ago. I wish I had lost the weight along with my honey. I wish I hadn't ignored her all those times.

Your husband probably feels like I did, not sexy at all, maybe embarassed about the weight problem, and depressed about it all. He sees you getting into shape and he probably feels like it's too much for him, that he can't do the same. He may already be worried about losing you. I know if he lost the weight he would feel romantic again. Stay strong, don't cheat, and keep trying to get him to lose.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 10:03

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 192/138/125 Female 5 FEET 3 INCHES
BF:I/Don't/Know
Progress: 81%

My husband was incredibly supportive when I was my heaviest. He always said my size didn't matter, that I was sexy and his sex drive never waned. It was me that had the problem. I just felt so damn ugly and clumsy and heavy. Sex just made me feel so bad. Don't get me wrong, I was still interested, I just felt like I wasn't deserving, given the way I looked. My perception of myself was what killed it, not his.

I have to agree with the above post though, nothing is sexier than a man cleaning house. Never mind the sexy clothes, if he greeted me at the door with a toilet brush....whew....hold me back

Leanna
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 11:31

Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMKAY 53
I have to agree with the above post though, nothing is sexier than a man cleaning house. Never mind the sexy clothes, if he greeted me at the door with a toilet brush....whew....hold me back

Naw, its not seeing him in the ACT of doing it, (actually quite frustrating, hes so SLOW!!) its the having it done so I dont have to.

re: the vasectomy thing-yes, It should have been a couples decision, but ultimately, its his bod, right? Clearly it meant enough to him to do it anyway. Do you know what that reason is? Dont tell us-but you should find out!
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 17:16

Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%

I dug deeper, and two of his meds to cause sexual disfunction. He needs them to control his depression, and his sugar.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 18:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by scthgharpy
[QUOTE=ProfGumby]
QUOTE]

Dude, somethings eating her, you should really talk to her about it. Me and my dh: We dont have issues, we have VOLUMES, dig-and the only way anything ever gets worked out is through talking about it. It festers, otherwise, and no one is happy. Yah, the talking about it is hard, but whats the alternative: being miserable til you die!??! The sex thing is one challenge-but simple affection denotes something else entirely. TALK!! Id advocate sending the kids away for the weekend and some mdma, to facilitate the conversation, but that would be just wrong.

And heres a hint since youre a guy: The most powerful aphrodesiac? Coming home to a clean kitchen. Fo' Real. And if my stay-at-home DH has taken the 5 minutes to throw something in the crockpot, Im all OVER him.

Thanks for the reply!

First off I am better now, and apologize if my posts went too far.

Second, she comes home to a husband in the kitchen nearly every night. I do the dishes frequently, including the stove top and all the pans she leaves dirty when she does them. I cook most of the meals, do a lot of the laundry, most of the grocery shopping, I take the kids to school and daycare most days, unless I have to be at work early, pay about 1/2 the bills, and am the only one that cleans the bathroom...she's got me trained fairly well, eh?
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 18:56
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpa
If your DH is overweight, hes he ever been checked for diabeties? When I was at my heaviest with BG of 500 one of the symptoms was ED. Not that I didn't have the desire......it just didn't work. Since getting my diabeties under control this is no longer an issue as I have regain full control of my faculties. You might have more luck trying to convince your DH to get checked for Diabeties as a cause of his inablity. Just a though.

I never knew there was a connection between blood sugar levels and ED.
Interesting.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 19:01
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff-az
Who would date a fat older guy?

I know a lot of women who would...me included.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 19:10
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstergal
I never knew there was a connection between blood sugar levels and ED.
Interesting.

One of many studies:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/med...hp?newsid=28919