Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 14:54
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps
One more thing. (Built) You mentioned that your entering ketosis would happen regardless of how many carbs you eat the previous day. One possible explaination:
Perhaps a larger carbup = larger insulin spike = lower blood sugar = ketosis faster.

Heeeyyy! That's SMART! I bet you're right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps
My thoughts right now include... Why not put the glycogen to good use and build some muscle while you're depleting it...?

And I LIKE your thoughts - I'm thinking...hmmm...HIIT maybe?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 21:53

Plan: TKD/CKD
Stats: 247/180/180 Male 74
BF:

I dont really know anyone who enters ketosis the first day after a carb up. I believe that ala gives a false positive on keto strips.

The amount of glycogen is about 300-400g in the liver am I right? I've read that it would take running a whole lot of miles to burn that off--somewhere around the 'wall' in marathons. I could be wrong, but I dont think most of us could possibly get into ketosis in a day.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 22:20
Registered Member

BF:

I don't always take ALA for my carbups. I didn't on CKD, and I STILL get into ketosis in a day. Every single time.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 23:02

Plan: UD2
Stats: 195/180/175 Male 68 inches
BF:15%/8%/7.0%
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguecloud
I could be wrong, but I dont think most of us could possibly get into ketosis in a day.
Actually, it is the norm on the CKD. There si something to the premise that the body seems to settle into the routine. Perhaps it's partially because the fat-burning mode becomes the body's normal state during the diet.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 23:41
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Inner - I kinda figured that was what happened - my body now PREFERS to live off of fat, so this is a normal thing to return to.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 02:42

Plan: TKD/CKD
Stats: 247/180/180 Male 74
BF:

how long have you been doing ckd. Im on week 5 right now. Last year I did it for 2 months. Always it has taken 2 or 3 days. I guess you're just lucky
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 09:30
Registered Member

BF:

I don't do CKD anymore, because I gained too much fat when I did (darned estrogen, mutter...mutter), but I fiddle with variants on NHE/TKD/carb cycling, and have for several years. And I pretty much did straight Atkins for a year first.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 10:01

Plan: NHE/UD2/General LC
Stats: 175/175/175 Male 6'
BF:10/6/?
Progress:

Roguecloud...
I'm not sure if you already mentioned this in another post... but what is your macronutrient ratio during the LC days.
I generally keep my fats to around 70%... Protein ~30%... (and around 20 g. of carb.)

I guess if I was eating fewer calories my percentages might change because I would still try to get about 1 g. of Pro. / Lb. of B.W.
Right now I'm eating about 3000 cals/day.

Oh... One more thing... Are you eating whole protein sources (real food) or protein powders? Protein powders, like whey, may slow down your transition into ketosis. If you ate enough of it, it's possible that enough would be converted to glucose that you would not be depleting glycogen. Apparently it can be converted to glucose with about 53% efficiency.

Last edited by mps : Fri, Jun-25-04 at 10:06.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 10:32

Plan: Considering carb cycling
Stats: 175/175/155 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Question for Built

"I don't do CKD anymore, because I gained too much fat when I did (darned estrogen, mutter...mutter), but I fiddle with variants on NHE/TKD/carb cycling, and have for several years. And I pretty much did straight Atkins for a year first."

I'm curious about your carb cycling and about your CKD experience. How did estrogen figure into the picture?

I'm coming from a strong BFL background but that stopped working for me after the first year. Since then I've been struggling just not to gain weight and finally got an answer at the beginning of this year with a diagnosis of hypothyroid AND pre-diabetes. (I guess insulin resistance makes it a little hard to lose weight)

Anyway - I've been afraid to to Atkins because I have this horrible image of sagging skin and muscle loss. (I've worked hard for my muscle and want to keep it )

I'm not sure if my understanding of carb cycling is similar to what you're doing. Can you please help me out?

Thanks!
bbell
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 10:57
Registered Member

BF:

Low carb, high fat diets actually preserve muscle mass because the fats protect you from glycolyzing protein. I did my first year of bodybuilding on straight Atkins. I have NO idea where you are hearing stories of muscle loss and sagging skin. I built up GREAT doing this.

WRT estrogen and CKD, I think the bigger issue may be the lower levels of muscle mass and testosterone in women, but it's just a hunch based on what happens to me and some women lifters I've e-chatted with.

I'm insulin resistant, too, and have had low-ish thyroid off and on. That's why Atkins was so effective for me.

You might consider TKD - basically, Atkins with a little bit of fast carb pre or pre-and-post lifting.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 16:04

Plan: TKD - semi low carb
Stats: 260/238/210 Male 76
BF:??%/28%/15%
Progress: 44%

I've heard most lifters on keto diets have terrible performance in the gym. Those that are serious about any kind of growth have to add carbs in somewhere.

Me, I haven't noticed much of a difference either way, in growth or fat loss. Strength is increasing, but that might be neural strength and not necessarily muscle growth.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 12:55
Registered Member

Plan: keto
Stats: 148.8/135.4/125 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Personally, if I take 600mg ALA before bed, by morning, I'm in ketosis, and stay in ketosis untill I eat carbs again. Obviously not a false positive.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Aug-22-04, 14:55

Plan: modified south beach
Stats: 128/110/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassgirl
Personally, if I take 600mg ALA before bed, by morning, I'm in ketosis, and stay in ketosis untill I eat carbs again. Obviously not a false positive.

Hello everyone!

I am knew to this board. Can someone tell me what ALA stands for?

thanks in advance!!
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Aug-22-04, 15:19
Registered Member

BF:

Alpha Lipoic Acid. It's a glucose disposal agent and anti-oxidant.

And welcome to the board!
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-08, 21:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 191/185/150 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress:
Question ketones from consumed fats or body fat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built
Avocados. Eat 'em.

Keep your fats ass-high. And many have had success with coconut oil for the MCTs.

i have read many times that consuming high amounts of dietary fat will help induce ketosis .

could the ketones produced (when checking with the strips) be from the breakdown of dietary fats rather than from body fat?

high dietary fat may be inducing ketosis, or alternately it could be the result of the breakdown of dietary fats couldn't it?......