Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 15:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin
Stats: 203/170/165 Male 72 Inches - Medium Frame
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoKo
Oh William!!!!! I've missed you

(Gorske - wouldn't be German for Ritz would it) - don slap me William

KoKo

Missed you also!!

Thanks again for your support and assistance researching the Ritz Project. It’s still an important component of my WOE. It's beginning to look like I might need a little support here also.

William
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 16:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin
Stats: 203/170/165 Male 72 Inches - Medium Frame
BF:
Progress: 87%
Lightbulb

http://app.mcdonalds.com/bagamcmeal...s=item&itemID=5

Please, please, please folks, I’m serious here. Check out the above nutritional information and you’ll see that the core ingredient of the Gorske plan is actually a relatively healthy food choice. I’m not for a moment suggesting that we utilize anything more than this one key component of his diet.

Do you actually think that 560 calories is excessive for a complete meal? Even the evil trans fats are squat compared to most other foods we encounter. Jeeze, its got more sesame seeds than trans fats.

To me, this two meal a day Atkins and one meal a day Gorske plan just seems logical. The nutritional benefits of Atkins would certainly offset the minor shortcomings of the one Gorske meal. The low calorie Gorske would probably reduce the total daily caloric count for most and who knows what will happen to our metabolism. I’m thinking “jump start” here. Also, knowing we’ll have a scrumptious Gorske treat for dinner also might curb our daytime temptations.

Am I just rationalizing here or might this actually work?

William
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 16:40
Slightly foxed

Plan: Take over the world,Pinky
Stats: 284/275/224 Male 5'7"
BF:No, I'm straight
Progress: 15%

McAtkins...it could work.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 18:42

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
Don Gorske is the guy that has eaten over 20,000 Big Macs and pretty much lives on a couple of Big Macs, a small fry and regular Coke (and not much else) every day.

So it IS that guy!?!?!?!?! I did a search on the name, but figured it had to be someone else!
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 18:56
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Very creative... it sounds SO much more scientific than "I want to eat a Big Mac every day."
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 20:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willam
http://app.mcdonalds.com/bagamcmeal...s=item&itemID=5

Please, please, please folks, I’m serious here. Check out the above nutritional information and you’ll see that the core ingredient of the Gorske plan is actually a relatively healthy food choice.

To my knowledge, McDonalds fries the meat. Do they fry the meat in butter, oil or margarine? This is where the transfats to wory of could be.

Their website mentioned that their bread contains some hydrogenated soybean oil, but this should be too small amount to wory of.

You are talking about Don Gorske as a man who has a diet plan comparable to Atkins'. Where did you get this? All I could see is that he is a man who have eaten plenty of Big Macs without gaining weight. There are many people who can eat pizza every day without gaining weight too.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 20:14

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 322/240/140 Female 5'6''
BF:I have no idea
Progress: 45%

MdD's fries the meat on a grill, but doesn't add any butter, oil or margarine other than what is left over from the eggs that were cooked earlier in the day.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 22:57

Plan: Atkins/PP + lots of H20
Stats: 203/160/140 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willam
Am I just rationalizing here or might this actually work?

I think you're just rationalizing.

Are you still doing the three Ritz a day thing?
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Oct-23-04, 01:41

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

"Also, knowing we’ll have a scrumptious Gorske treat for dinner also might curb our daytime temptations."

Scrumptious?? McDonalds burgers are revolting! If you can't make yourself a MUCH better burger with NO trans fats NO hydrogenated soybean oil and NO high fructose corn syrup filled bun - then I suggest you take some very basic cooking lessons.

"Am I just rationalizing here or might this actually work?"

You are just rationalizing and attention seeking. Wow you got half what you were after!

Cheers,

Malcolm
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Oct-23-04, 12:22

Plan: MEAT AND LOTS OF GREEN VE
Stats: 292.7/280/180 Female 68 INCHES
BF:
Progress: 11%

FAST FOOD DIETS WORK!~~~ When I lived in Lexington KY,
the Weatherman on one of the TV stations lost 75lbs eating at WENDYS for lunch and supper every day...he ate a double cheeseburger, fries and that milkshake thingy they have...
When you set your mind to it, I guess anything could work!
I'll stick to my meat and veggies though....YUMMMMMMMM

GAP
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Oct-23-04, 14:01
Registered Member

Plan: I make it up as I go
Stats: 265/234/215 Male 74 in and shrinking
BF:
Progress: 62%

I have twin daughters who can eat anything they want. If I SMELL fresh baked bread I gain 5 pounds. Of course, if I smell it I have to eat about 3 loaves with honeybutter.
Low carb isn't really a mystery.
Those of us who tend to be overweight also tend to have a slight insulin resistance so when our pancreas produces insulin we fail to deal with the blood sugar appropriately. Then we make MORE insulin and MORE and MORE until our bodies get the expected reaction... then we have too much and our blood sugar drops like a brick.
I can only speak for ME, but after a big sugar/starch hit I feel generally sluggish for a couple hours, maybe even a headache and crabby and when the low blood sugar thing hits with full force I feel weak and know that I have to eat if I don't want to pass out. So I eat, and since my blood sugar level is low I crave more carbs. I go through that every couple hours until I get to sleep at night, then early in the morning I start all over again with some cereal with lots of sugar, coffee with lots of sugar or maybe a donut... oh yea, it's the sugar free variety
If I count up the calories, I've probably had over 5000 because of all the between meal snacks brought on by low blood sugar.
On a LOW CARB regimine we don't go through that high/low blood sugar routine. I don't get hungry between meals. I don't get crabby. I don't get weak and I can eat a lot less and feel full.
Yes, we process protein and fats differently than sugar. But the big thing is we aren't constantly eating, or at least I'm not.
Yes, I've stalled at 225. Been here for a while and I'd like to get down a few more pounds. But I also have to face the fact that I'll probably be a big man for the rest of my life or until I come down with some kind of serious illness. I don't mind not looking like Tom Cruise.
I've lost a lot of weight but have kept most of my muscle mass. I'm not a big exerciser, but I do get out for the occasional bike ride and get serious about physical work. I'm doing far better than I was BEFORE I lost the weight. I don't break out in a sweat when I climb the stairs. I don't feel weak like I did when I was going Low Cal. And I don't get cold in the miserable winters around here.
Getting stuck is the body's way of dealing with what it considers to be famine conditions. We go into famine mode and attempt to preserve resources. Sometimes we just need to eat MORE carb free foods.
Anyway... that's my rant. I've been pretty successful on this and have persuaded my brother to go on LC as well. He's lost more total weight than I, but then, he had further to go. I'm still the "younger, smarter, better looking brother."
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Oct-23-04, 14:08
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/249.6/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

adkpam: I have another of the books on that link, Fasting Girls The History of Anorexia Nervosa. It is a good read.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=glance&s=books

Beth
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Oct-23-04, 14:48

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapgirl420
FAST FOOD DIETS WORK!~~~ When I lived in Lexington KY,
the Weatherman on one of the TV stations lost 75lbs eating at WENDYS for lunch and supper every day...he ate a double cheeseburger, fries and that milkshake thingy they have...
When you set your mind to it, I guess anything could work!
I'll stick to my meat and veggies though....YUMMMMMMMM

GAP

Yes, but work for what? If weight loss is all a person is after (and they have the sheer willpower to pull it off), dropping calories to say...1,000 a day should do the trick.
However...that doesn't mean that once you reach goal weight, you will have a healthy body or will have learned anything about how to eat to keep the weight off.
Whether a person wants to consume transfats or not is up to the individual, but studies have shown that as little as 2 grams of transfat a day (like that Big Mac and a couple of Ritz crackers) can cause major cardiac health problems.
Remember, low carbing isn't just about losing weight. It's about eating healthy and avoiding foods known to cause health problems (like transfats) and consuming foods that have the highest nutrient value for the carbs they contain so that your thinner body will also be as healthy as possible. After all, what good is it to be thinner and wind up with health problems anyway because of poor food choices?
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Oct-23-04, 15:09
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Of course, you could eat a big mac every day on atkins....but you'd have to forgo the bread....but then I do regularly go for a burger king minus the bread....I don't think I would want to revert back to the old way of eating anyway, bread just doesn't hold its power over me like before
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Oct-23-04, 16:31
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

I think this post is really really funny!!

William,

Eat what you want and see if it works for you. If it doesn't you can always come back here for our help and support. It's that simple.