Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-11, 17:17
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

IMO, this guy has food allergies( skin lesions when he eats red meat) and he's blaming it on low carb paleo eating.
So he goes from one extreme( no grain) to another( high grain) and he will gain weight now. Too bad moderation and being an experiment of one is not in his vocabulary.

He needs to figure out which animal proteins he doesn't have a problem with!! Not avoid all of them!!

Speaking of dogs, when they are Dx with IBD, it is considered a food allergy to common proteins. The Rx diet for these dogs is a (1)novel source of protein and a (1)carb, generally sweet potato. Many are highly allergic to beef protein and do well on fish, lamb, rabbit and now I've even seen kangaroo.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-11, 21:05

Plan: No caffeine, no alcohol
Stats: 175/154/150 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 84%

a meat centered diet is the road to pain
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-11, 07:09

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsey
a meat centered diet is the road to pain

Only by having to listen to doom-mongers...
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-11, 15:50

Plan: Ketogenic + IF
Stats: 240/194/175 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Just wait for him to sign onto some big money deal having to do with some high carb/grain company...
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-11, 15:53

Plan: Low carb Paleo
Stats: 294/292/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 2%

I agree with Nancy and Debbie, the symptoms he describes are the ones I get when eating grains though I can see how paleo would contradict what he learned from Traditional Chinese Medicine.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-11, 16:28

Plan: no grain,no dairy
Stats: 224/190/180 Male 186cm
BF:
Progress:

like any commercialized diet, paleo is no different but I found it counter intuitive to promote paleo "diet" instead of a paleo lifestyle. Eating meat and few plants only is not enough if you are spending a domesticated life living in a civilization and away from nature. Where I live malls are always packed up while parks and nature reserves are almost always empty and that's not going to help you get a life balance and force. There is a clear evidence that walking in nature and getting disconnected every day is essential for good hormonal balance and health. Lack of oxygen, stress from overstimulation, addiction and lack of human touch and sleep are all factors that over ride the any diet there is.

There is hardly any benefit to change a diet and not change a lifestyle because the body only cares about meeting its short term needs and it will take it from anything even if it's twinkies and sodas. Also there is a notion that the body will adjust to anything so one needs to put a bigger plan and plan B,C... in order to make desired changes. Changin one's diet would be too easy to fix all of life's problems. One needs to look at a bigger picture
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-11, 20:09

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad416
Where I live malls are always packed up while parks and nature reserves are almost always empty and that's not going to help you get a life balance and force. There is a clear evidence that walking in nature and getting disconnected every day is essential for good hormonal balance and health.
Well I *never* go to malls (I hate to shop, and just the thought of going to a mall gives me the heebie-jeebies) and I go to parks and nature preserves quite frequently (birdwatching is a big hobby of mine). But I don't seem to be improving my hormonal balance or health in any way yet that I can tell.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-11, 11:49

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quit food and live on prana !

Just kidding
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-11, 05:49

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 235/220/210 Male 6' 3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
Quit food and live on prana !

Just kidding

like Wiley Brooks?
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-11, 08:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins + Paleo
Stats: 200/147/135 Female 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 82%

I would have stopped the diet long before 14 years had passed if I was THAT against it.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-11, 09:20
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

I suspect he may be like a friend of mine who every so often thinks he's found THE answer to health (he's a fitness freak). When he finds the new answer, suddenly all the science he relied upon when following the old answer is invalid, all the arguments against it have gained credibility and he develops a confirmation bias for the new thing. These obsessions can last years - my friend was a vegan for 9 years (for health reasons not moral) - now thinks veganism is terrible.

Lee
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-11, 09:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
I suspect he may be like a friend of mine who every so often thinks he's found THE answer to health (he's a fitness freak). When he finds the new answer, suddenly all the science he relied upon when following the old answer is invalid, all the arguments against it have gained credibility and he develops a confirmation bias for the new thing.
Are you friends with my son?
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-11, 09:42

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I'm glad I don't have a blog. I'd probably make an ass of myself twice a week.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-11, 14:50
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Are you friends with my son?

Unless your son lives in Watford. Though he won't listen about low carb and paleo - in starting to research it he came across Matt Stone - who I don't know a lot about - and this is his new thing. Before being vegan he was into ultra low fat.

Lee
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-11, 13:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
Unless your son lives in Watford. Though he won't listen about low carb and paleo - in starting to research it he came across Matt Stone - who I don't know a lot about - and this is his new thing.
Except for the Watford thing he could still be my son, who is a devoted follower of Matt Stone.