Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Dec-04-11, 14:37

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Um, my FT3 and Ft4 are both in the high end of normal. My TSH number is in the low range of normal, i.e., mildly elevated TSH.

Somebloke, thanks for posting the link. I'll read up on it today.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Dec-04-11, 17:35

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebloke
were the drops in total cholesterol,
due to T3 only or were statins used too ?

did you use any form of Nicotinic acid or niacin,
In my case it was T3 only. You could not *pay* me to take a statin, which I consider the Drug of the Devil, and useless for women of all ages in any case. And I didn't take niacin either. And I had been taking T4 synthetic thyroid for 18 months with no affect. But adding in the T3 with Armour caused the 100-point drop in 6 weeks.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Dec-04-11, 18:10
Registered Member

Plan: LC - hi fat
Stats: 191/160/155 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:

Did you mention what your numbers are? HDL, trig and LDL? I'm guessing you didn't have a VAP test for your LDL?

My 1st year of low carb Total cholesteral was about 333. HDL of 60, trig 87 and the rest LDL (VAP tested pattern A). Yea, I freaked

2nd year of low carb total cholesteral was total about 259. HDL of 72, trig 52 and the rest LDL (again, VAP tested pattern A).

1st year was no exercise. 2nd year got back into jogging, started taking niacin and vitamin D and some other supplements. A bit of red wine to help the HDL also.

Total carb per day..ohh..about 30-45 carbs daily. I hope your other numbers can put you at ease (if they are on the good side of course).

I hope you can find some answers.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Dec-04-11, 20:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
You could not *pay* me to take a statin, which I consider the Drug of the Devil, and useless for women of all ages in any case. And I didn't take niacin either. And I had been taking T4 synthetic thyroid for 18 months with no affect. But adding in the T3 with Armour caused the 100-point drop in 6 weeks.

And your thyroid was low right? Don't you think it would be crazy to push my thyroid fully into hyper? Or am I missing the point (that you think I should medicate, like you?) I already have the heart palpitations.

If you do some research, you will see plenty of studies that show a reduction in heart disease and fatalities in older diabetic women (like me), including studies done overseas with no big pharma funding. Also the World Health Organization found, globally, that fatalities increase sharply over 300. I still have a dependent child, not ready to take chances.

Pet peeve: US studies don't usually show the funding source. European studies often do.

Brad, thanks for chiming in. I really want to hear from peeps with their cholesterol over 300...so we have a similar point of view.

You're right, I didn't have a VAP. I keep forgetting to ask. Here are my numbers as of Sept 6th:

Total Cholesterol: 317
Triglycerides: 123
LDL: 228
HDL: 64
Cholesterol/HDL: 5.0

Since I had to go to the Kaiser site to get the numbers, I also emailed my doc and asked for a VAP test.

Before anyone says anything...I told my doc I had lost a substantial amount of weight on Atkins and he said, "That's good. That's a good diet." We talked some more about my cholesterol and he ended it with saying, "Stay on Atkins. It's a very healthy diet." Score one point!!

Well I've got to go cook dinner for the masses
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Dec-05-11, 04:47

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 188/176/166 Male 175
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
In my case it was T3 only. You could not *pay* me to take a statin, which I consider the Drug of the Devil, and useless for women of all ages in any case. And I didn't take niacin either. And I had been taking T4 synthetic thyroid for 18 months with no affect. But adding in the T3 with Armour caused the 100-point drop in 6 weeks.

Hi Merpig,thats is Intresting indeed,

are you taking Armour and synthetic T4 ,at the same time,
if so what ratio ?

best of luck
somebloke
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Dec-05-11, 11:04

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

gon...need to see your TPO AB and your TSI to know if it is 'actually hyperthyroidism' OR if it is one or the other.

I had Hashitoxicosis myself (try saying that three times fast!) and you start off 'looking hyper' with TSH, FT's but it takes a TSI and a TPO AB to 'tell for sure'.

Shall I 'assume' that if you truly ARE hyperthyroid, you are on ANTI thyroid? Cuz if you aren't, you could still be hyPO and in a 'hyper phase of autoimmune disease'.

I know, I rattle that off like it's an everyday occurrence at the doc's office, but I was almost MISdiagnosed and really kept going through FIVE endocrinologists before I got ALL those tests and a really great thyroid doctor. I'm so happy I didn't just settle on the first set of tests, and kept going.

I hope you get the help and testing AND 'Dr. Right' because you deserve that.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Dec-05-11, 13:52

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo
And your thyroid was low right? Don't you think it would be crazy to push my thyroid fully into hyper? Or am I missing the point (that you think I should medicate, like you?) I already have the heart palpitations.
No, not suggesting that necessarily. I was just replying to a question further up in the thread.
Quote:
You're right, I didn't have a VAP.
Doctors don't seem to want to do the VAP or NMR test as they are expensive, but they do give useful numbers. I got my former endo to do the NMR test when my cholesterol was 295, and my LDL was higher than she liked (though I had HDL of 79 and triglycerides of 49) and the NMR test showed my LDL particles were 90% pattern A (large, fluffy). That eased my own mind quite a bit even though the endo said the numbers were "useless".
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Dec-18-11, 08:58

BF:
Progress:

Hi ~ Gonwtwindo these give a good insight,of the fundamentals to work on.

http://www.wellnessresources.com/he...ol_healthfully/

By Byron Richards
The Five Key Things You Can Do to Lower LDL Cholesterol Healthfully

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?p=2547

goodluck

somebloke
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Dec-22-11, 18:12

Thanks, somebloke for posting these links! I am about to place an order with Vitacost, and will be adding some of the recommended supplements from the 2nd one.

I have been taking 1/2 dose of Crestor and my numbers are now as follows:

_____________________9/6__12/13

TOTAL CHOLESTEROL.....317.....206
CHOLESTEROL/HDL.........5.0.....3.4
HDL................................64.......61
LDL CALCULATED...........228.....126
TRIGLYCERIDE...............123......96

The doctor wants me to take a whole pill now, but I am ok with taking half, and leaving my numbers as they are. The World Health Organization published a study that globally, the lowest cardiac and stroke fatalities occur with TC of 200-259. They increase sharply above 259. Even though I know it is most likely the underlying condition driving the numbers that causes the fatalities, I am still thrilled to have 206.

I'm looking forward to having the time to really scour the links you posted. Again, thanks.

Last edited by gonwtwindo : Thu, Dec-22-11 at 18:19.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Dec-23-11, 14:48

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Thanks, somebloke for posting these links! I am about to place an order with Vitacost, and will be adding some of the recommended supplements from the 2nd one.

I have been taking 1/2 dose of Crestor and my numbers are now as follows:

_____________________9/6__12/13

TOTAL CHOLESTEROL.....317.....206
CHOLESTEROL/HDL.........5.0.....3.4
HDL................................64.......61
LDL CALCULATED...........228.....126
TRIGLYCERIDE...............123......96

The doctor wants me to take a whole pill now, but I am ok with taking half, and leaving my numbers as they are. The World Health Organization published a study that globally, the lowest cardiac and stroke fatalities occur with TC of 200-259. They increase sharply above 259. Even though I know it is most likely the underlying condition driving the numbers that causes the fatalities, I am still thrilled to have 206.

I'm looking forward to having the time to really scour the links you posted. Again, thanks.

gonwtwindo imho the half dose seems a logical compromise,

while working on a remedy for the underlying issue.

Comparison of mechanism and functional effects of magnesium and statin pharmaceuticals.

http://www.jacn.org/content/23/5/501S.full

Magnesium should be in the chelated form as the oxide form often seen in shops just works as a laxative its just cheap stuff.

Ps. the chelated forms end in -ate citrate malate etc
Malate being the best (especially if it is Albion patented)the label will be marked (Albion Patent) citrate is very good too.

Good brands are solgar for citrate and bluebonnet (Albion patent for malate both on iherb.

But If buying other brands ensure the do not have oxide in them some mix the ingredients.
Note It will be on the label.

Also if taking a statin supplement with Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) or better yet the reduced version known as Ubiquinol.

all the best , seasons greetings and a happy new year

goodluck

somebloke

Last edited by somebloke : Fri, Dec-23-11 at 14:59.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Dec-23-11, 16:25

That's another great link! Thanks!

I take 100 mg. of coQ10 - do you think that is enough? How much Mag -ate should I take? I used to take a Cal-mag supplement but for the last year, only Cal, and not very much. I do use Mag Ox occasionally for constipation.

Just anecdotally, my Aunt, who is 87, started taking statins shortly after they came out...she said late 80's! She is still in good shape, no side effects. If I make it to 87 I'll be satisfied for sure.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-11, 08:08

BF:
Progress:

~gonwtwindo

This is goodstraight reading.

http://www.krispin.com/magnes.html

Magnesium about 200mg at a time with meals slowly build up to 3x 200 mg in a day over a period of say 3 weeks.(so first week 1 tab daily next week 2 daily ,3rd week 3 daily.

so the max would be 600mg daily total.

I would only take calcium from food like sardines /pilchards etc. (even canned in brine but not oil) with their bones are perfect for calcium and omega 3 .
Bones should be eaten too very important the calcium and natural high omega 3 together have many benefits.much better absorbtion by our systems.

A small can of sardines say 2-3 times a week and the odd bit of cheese would be ideal.

Regarding Magnesium one must not take the cheap oxide stuff.But it can be taken as a laxative.
Stick to Malate or citrate ( I would stick with citrate my personal preferance from solgar.
but the Malate is the most potent.

I would not use a Magnesium and calcium pill mixture for the reasons mentioned above.

hmm...Ubiquinol (the best form of co Q1o) 100 mg per day is considered sufficient.I agree.

Now this little nugget is so important.
Raw Parsley high in PQQ or from celery cooked not raw.should ideally optimise your energy and metabolic system via your mitochondria.

Especially good if taking statins.

Regarding statins or any medicne that mey not be goodfor every one ,
but good for some with great benefits, but why and how ???.....

hmmm heres a shot..

reason behind this is our bodies are electrical pathways to provide nourishment to our limbs and brains ~baically,

Science knows when a pathway is blocked by a medicine as a side effect , or perhaps a neural accident that damaged the brain physically.

our bodies can adapt and create (grow)new physical pathways (workarounds) to compensate (as a kind of backup system) for whatever may be causing an issue,
we are meant to do this but it is not a perfect system,Example the liver grows back but our limbs do not.

The most important factor for our bodies to do such fantastic things is to create the ideal enviroment ,

well how do we do this ;;
quite easy really make sure we have the correct vitamins and minerals in balance , to maximise our electrical signal pathways (so we do not work like a buggy computer),and sunshine helps.This is the best help we can give ourselves.

Also avoid toxins from bad foods, as these block the pathways like Hydrogenated fat. And artifical colours and preservatives .Eat natural cooked organic foods,
Except organic salmon it is farmed and fed on toxins grrrr..

So what is not ideal for some can be good for others.
Example being statins. or any other medication concerned.

So everything has a balance.

Best of luck
somebloke.

goodluck

somebloke

Last edited by somebloke : Sat, Dec-24-11 at 09:42.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-11, 11:20

somebloke,

I am super cautious with the foods I buy and I cook everything from scratch. Nothing processed. I buy wild Alaskan salmon. And organic veggies when affordable-ish. So I'm not clogging up on crap food. (except for about 3 Christmas cookies a day. I am baking a different kind every day this week. This will come to an abrupt halt tomorrow.)

I haven't finished my vitacost order yet as I ran out of money! But I get another check on Monday and then it will get processed.

Thanks for another great link. I'll have plenty to catch up on come the 26th
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-11, 13:53

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
somebloke,

I am super cautious with the foods I buy and I cook everything from scratch. Nothing processed. I buy wild Alaskan salmon. And organic veggies when affordable-ish. So I'm not clogging up on crap food. (except for about 3 Christmas cookies a day. I am baking a different kind every day this week. This will come to an abrupt halt tomorrow.)

I haven't finished my vitacost order yet as I ran out of money! But I get another check on Monday and then it will get processed.

Thanks for another great link. I'll have plenty to catch up on come the 26th

Quick update

Update Solgar also do the Albion patented Magnesium it is called chelated magnesium ,

Just got some
goodluck

somebloke
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Dec-25-11, 17:30

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

NO statins here, I've been a thyroid patient advocate for over 23 years and I have REAMS of informations, and stats showing the remarkable progress in those receiving T3 as well as T4.

Most WOMEN have autoimmune hypothyroidism...and when the Free T4 is about midway of range and the FT3 is at 2/3 or HIGHER (depending on the person) that's when we see the cholesterol coming down.

I've not EVER seen 'just supplementals' help lower cholesterol in women with autoimmune thyroid disease (and that includes BOTH hypo and hyper/Hashimoto's or Grave's disease).

Just my experience and good record keeping. I'd never taken a statin, and my cholesterol was well into the 360's...by the time I'd lowcarbed for a bit over six months and my FT3 testing was into the 3/4 of lab range, is when my total cholesterol dropped under 195, with the HDl actually going UP and my tri glys dropped to less than 67.

It's all less than THAT now. We see the same effect in those on synthetic T4 and synthetic T3 (Cytomel) not JUST natural dessicated thyroid replacements, so if your doctor won't do natural dessicated, don't fret!