Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 13:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 263/198/146 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

kcl145-Hey there! Well, I have kind of been all over the place with it. I am soooo guilty of finding ways to change this way of eating to make it what I want it to be.lol. So, I was trying to keep carbs below 20g, around induction levels, but not limiting myself to induction foods. Bad idea? I know. By the way thanks for letting me know that plums have 7.6g carbs, I swear I did not know that. My Dr. Atkins Carb gram counter says that 1 small plum has 3.3g net carbs. There's a little contradiction here.lol. But I will admit that my plums are normally not small, and I would rather over calculate the amount of carbs that I ate for the day than undercalculate. So thanks for the heads up!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 21:25
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

mrslbrown I have a sleep disorder too, and similar to sleep apnea. There are some lower budget ways. You can rent an apap machine, its like a cpap but it has sensors that record whether you are having an apnea event. The machine will try to adjust the pressure to prevent you from having events. It collects data that your doctor can download. I think this test is more accurate then the hospital sleep study because your more comfortable in your own surroundings. Some people also get an oximeter.

One way I know that I am waking up a lot is that I remember my dreams if I wake up in the middle of them.

You can also look for clinical studies on snoring and get a free test that way.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-05, 10:38
I'm a real Loser!

Plan: You:on a Diet
Stats: 325/298/200 Male 72"
BF:
Progress: 22%

mrslbrown,

nawchem has some good points and addresses some of my ideas. If you can't get your insurance to pay then depending on the company, you may get them to negotiate the price you would have to pay for the study. But it sound like you're a little tighter on cash, so I would probably go with her recommendation of getting your doctor to prescribe an APAP machine. You must have a prescription to get one and he/she(probably via the medical company that provided the machine) can monitor your results. It is worth looking into because it can save your life. I can't tell you how many times I fell asleep at the wheel in traffic before I got my machine.

Good luck,
Al
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-05, 13:46
Registered Member

Plan: Combination
Stats: 235/160/150 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

You may want to consider dropping the LC cappucinos. Even being low carb, I believe cappucinos contain milk which has sugar. Also, from what I understand some of the artificial sweeteners can actually cause your body to release insulin. Some people are very sensitive to caffeine. Caffeine can stimulate the adrenal glands, which can cause a rise in blood sugar which MAY result in an insulin release. All other arguments aside, the cappies supply nothing your body needs.

Some mentioned you may not be getting enough fat. This could be a problem. Fat is the one macronutrient that has no impact on insulin release. Carbs are the main culprit in releasing insulin, but too much protein can also cause your body to release insulin. I believe in a high fat, low carbohydrate, moderate protein diet.

Your exercise program sounds too strenuous. This can overstress your adrenal glands. One hormone the adrenals release is cortisol, which has been connected with weight gain. Also, unless the cardio is mild, you may be doing quite a bit of anaerobic (sugar-burning) exercise. Once you cross that threshold, your body will need to find sugar. Once the muscles and livers are depleted, it will start breaking down protein (usually muscle tissue) to supply the glucose. If this is happening, you are actually diminishing your muscle mass (a prime fat burning machine).

Hope this helps. I am just sharing some thoughts off the top of my head. My quess is that you are overstressing your adrenal glands, which is causing your problems.

Brett
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-05, 14:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I hope she got her sleep apnea looked into. :\
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Nov-27-05, 14:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/161/125 Female 5'5
BF:29%
Progress: 35%

Just a quick suggestion. Change your work out to weight training. It will change the shape of your body and in addition you will gain lean muscle which will burn more calories when you aren't even working out. I had to learn this the hard way.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Nov-28-05, 11:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 263/198/146 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

Thanks everyone for your respons!

Batipton-I believe that you are correct. I have given up that strenuous routine. It was way to much work and major stress on my body. My intentions were to help, not hurt myself. Thanks for your insightful message.

Nancy LC- Unfortunately so much has been going on, I haven't had time to get the sleep apnea problem under raps. We just made a move from Vegas to Iowa City, Iowa and things are just starting to settle down. Now, I have to find a new doctor and I will surely get on it. I am all out of Ambien, a sleep aid that my doctor put me on, and without it,my nights have been horrible.

ellie2-weight training is such a great idea. I was looking into the CKD and read alot on weight training and I added to my regimen. My shape has changed...for the better. I was able to lose inches in my waist area, putting me in a size 14. Which is weird, because I was 180 pounds, years ago, wearing a size 14. I see that weight training is really important.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 22:55

Plan: food comb/atkins influenc
Stats: 185/161/140 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriell
Doing 2 hours cardio on low carb, low cal is a sure way to stop ANY weight loss AND a sure way to destroy muscle.
After around 45 min cardio your cortisol level increase to a level, where your body stops using fat. If there is no fat, no carb, your body can use only protein from your muscles. Other problem: this way you train your body to function on LOW CAL level. The body is a wonderful mechanism, can adjust to almost anything. Something else: so much cardio can cause huge amount of water restrain.

Hi Galadriell

Is there a site or book where i can find out more information about this. I've never heard of it before but it is very interesting.

Cheers