Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Dec-05-09, 22:02
Gibbers

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

So will it make any difference what time of day you take your meds if you're on Synthroid/Levothyroxine?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 01:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It seems to for me. Give it a try if you feel like you could use a boost.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-10, 11:39

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

i've been trying this for the last week and it's made a small difference to me. I was noticing brain fog in the morning when taking the meds when I got up, but then I was good in the afternoon. I'm a normal 8 hour office worker, so losing half a day b/c I couldn't concentrate was a problem.

I take the synthetic thyroid.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-10, 12:04
Experimenter

BF:

I'm exactly the opposite, I am awake and energetic (sorta) in the morning and drag through after afternoon.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-10, 10:11

yeah, well I have a little more energy in the morning than I used to, but yawning on my way home in the aft.

I can't wait for my sleep study...I'm TIRED all the time it seems.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-10, 15:23

Plan: Schwarzbein/gluten free
Stats: 148/146/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Bump, anyone have recent positive thyroid improvements to discuss? My 78 year old mom is on the other side of the country.
I am afraid her thyroid meds aren't working or there is a problem with how she is taking them. She's weepy and has sort of secluded herself in the bedroom. She underwent a hip replacement in December, but was treated for hyperthyroid with RAI last June. Her meds have been adjusted a few times, but I believe she is only on 75mcg of levoxyl. I think she might need more, or some t3....I guess I need to go visit NJ soon....
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-10, 18:55

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

Pm me if you want recommendations for docs in your mother's area.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-10, 19:01
Experimenter

BF:

Oh wow, well if they completely killed your Mom's thyroid with RAI, which is usually the objective, then I can't imagine that 75 mcg is a full replacement dose. I'm taking 137 mcg and that's about typical.

I switched back to night again, after doing a stint of day time taking of meds and it's amazing how the effect is so much greater.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-10, 09:53

I am doing much better on the evening dose. However, I'm convinced I need some T3 supplements though. My doctor won't listen to me because I'm testing normal (whatever), and she won't look at it further until my sleep study is done (for apnea). She thinks the tiredness is due to the lack of sleep...she is disregarding the other symptoms I have. I'm convinced, however, because among other things, I've been taking my body temp and I seem to be running cold all the time, which makes me think I do need more T3 and the Eltroxin is not working right (35.9C/96.6C in the morning, 36.2C/97.2F-36.6/97.8 in the aft). I've yet to crack the 37C or 98.6F norm in the last two weeks I've been testing.

So I have the sleep study in Feb. I probably DO have sleep apnea, but that is just one more piece to my puzzle (and not the final one). I will keep an eye on my symptoms and if the doctor still refuses to address me, I'm scheduling with a homeopathic doctor.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-10, 11:32
Experimenter

BF:

Yeah, it's really tough to get a MD to prescribe T3. You really have to find one that's aware of how it helps people, which is especially tough in some countries. Usually patients network together and share names. Scarlet who posts here has a list of doctors in various places. She might have someone in your area.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-10, 12:26
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmum1977
yeah, well I have a little more energy in the morning than I used to, but yawning on my way home in the aft. I can't wait for my sleep study...I'm TIRED all the time it seems.

I'm willing to bet real money that you are taking the wrong thyroid medication.

Lisa
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-10, 12:28
Registered Member

Lightbulb Don't need a doc OR a script for T3!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Yeah, it's really tough to get a MD to prescribe T3.

Luckily, that is no longer necessary. Not only do I get Brand-Name T3 without a prescription from an out-of-country pharmacy -- it's far cheaper than I can get it here with a prescription, which I have.

No one need suffer because their doctors are still practicing Dark Ages medicine!

Lisa
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-10, 12:35
Experimenter

BF:

I always have a little concern about out-of-country pharmacies because they've been known to sell fake drugs, sometimes with harmful things in them.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-10, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by awriter
Luckily, that is no longer necessary. Not only do I get Brand-Name T3 without a prescription from an out-of-country pharmacy -- it's far cheaper than I can get it here with a prescription, which I have.

No one need suffer because their doctors are still practicing Dark Ages medicine!

Lisa

Lisa, I know there are several Canadian pharmacies that sell natural thyroid to Americans with no prescription, but they won't sell to Canadians without one.

It is why I'm considering seeing a naturopath. They will assist me in getting natural thyroid here.

I don't want to stop my Eltroxin all together until I can put all the pieces together (the apnea, etc).
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-10, 13:06
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmum1977
Lisa, I know there are several Canadian pharmacies that sell natural thyroid to Americans with no prescription, but they won't sell to Canadians without one.

I get mine from Mexico. And they ship to Canada. The address is available at the Yahoo Leptin Resistance group.

Lisa