Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jul-14-09, 15:26
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcb
Can you provide links to clinical studies proving that they are handled the same way through the metabolic cycle?
The studies on fructose are on fructose... not differentiating corn based fructose from apple based fructose. Those of you claiming they're metabolized differently somehow need to come up with something showing that. Looking forward to seeing what you dig up.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jul-15-09, 07:31

Plan: Based on Barry Groves
Stats: 275/252/210 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 35%

The Metabolic Basis of Inherited Disease may have some more info on the difference between L-Fructose and D-Fructose in the metabolism.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bo...060726-5&pos=-1
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jul-15-09, 07:45
Experimenter

BF:

Really, you can't find something on pubmed or with google scholar?

Here's something about comparing the differences between sugar (diasacchride 50% sugar 50% fructose) and HFCS (55% fructose). I guess most of you would consider sugar to be different, more natural, better somehow than fructose, right?

Quote:
Studies that have compared high fructose corn syrup (an ingredient in nearly all soft drinks sold in the US) to sucrose (common table sugar) find that most measured physiological effects are equivalent. For instance, Melanson et al. (2006), studied the effects of HFCS and sucrose sweetened drinks on blood glucose, insulin, leptin, and ghrelin levels. They found no significant differences in any of these parameters.[44] This is not surprising since sucrose is a disaccharide which digests to 50% glucose and 50% fructose; while the high fructose corn syrup most commonly used on soft drinks is 55% fructose. The difference between the two lies in the fact that HFCS contains little sucrose, the fructose and glucose being independent moities.

This is about the "GI Index" and fructose
Quote:
There is a concern with Type 1 diabetes patients and the apparent low GI (glycemic index) of fructose. Fructose gives as high a blood sugar spike as that obtained with glucose. In fact, the GI measurement applies only to glucose containing foods (eg, those with high-starch content). The basic GI measurement technique is somewhat confusing. This is because the body's response to glucose is "standardized" with 50g of ingested glucose, while the GI researchers use 50g of digestible carbohydrate (not necessarily glucose) as its reference standard. Although all simple sugars have nearly identical chemical formulae, each has distinct chemical properties. This can be illustrated with pure fructose. A journal article reports that, "...fructose given alone increased the blood glucose almost as much as a similar amount of glucose (78% of the glucose-alone area)".[37][38][39][39][40]

Last edited by Nancy LC : Wed, Jul-15-09 at 07:52.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jul-15-09, 09:04

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 220/214/145 Female 67
BF:yes, I admit it
Progress: 8%

I think we can all agree that too much sugar of any type is a problem, yes? So the question as I understand it is if HFCS is worse than fructose. And I believe the answer is yes because of the chemical differences between the two. With HFCS you have reactive compounds known as carbonyls hitting your bloodstream because of the unbound glucose and fructose molecules. I googled "reactive carbonyls HFCS" and got a whole lot of hits. Of course my goal remains to cut down on ALL sugars.

As far as the GI goes, I get a lot of my information from the Glycemic Research Institute in Washington, D.C. They've done research, and produced a few books, a few of which I have bought. Their measure of fructose and HFCS on the glycemic scale comes out significantly different. And of course they are only measuring the glycemic response, they don't speak to the reactive carbonyls.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jul-15-09, 09:04

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

The diseases of civilization did not appear in the 1970s with the introduction of HFCS. They have been rising steadily in the centuries since the introduction of refined sugar. I have no quibble with the claim that HFCS is somehow super-nasty, but it is not the cause of all our problems. Refined sugar and year-round imported fruit and fruit juice have been harming us for much longer.

I've been curious about these "levulose" claims before. I once asked Peter of Hyperlipid about it and he didn't think there was a difference. But a search I did just now turned up something interesting:

http://www.brewery.org/library/SugarSumm.html
Quote:
Sucrose is a disaccharide composed of one molecule of glucose and one of fructose. More precisely, it is dextrose plus dextrorotary fructose. It must be broken apart before the yeasts can use it. When heated in an acidic solution (such as wort) the sugar is inverted to make D-(+)-glucose and D-(-)-fructose. Yeasts will invert the sucrose if it is not already in that form before using by using invertase.

So sucrose, which is abundant in fruit, contains only D-fructose. It sounds like levulose doesn't fit with dextrose. I assume this means that only the free fructose in fruits is levulose.

I tried to look up the sucrose/glucose/fructose contents of apples, oranges and grapes on the USDA site but it didn't give a breakdown. I swear it used to. Instead they have these incredibly detailed lists of fat contents. Did they change it? What's going on?
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jul-15-09, 09:09
Experimenter

BF:

Levulose is just another name for fructose according to what I've seen. Fructose is always free. When it's bound to glucose it's called sucrose. Kind of semantics but still.

This is going to look funky but:
Amounts Per Selected Serving
%DV
Total Carbohydrate
g
5%
Dietary Fiber
g
10%
Starch
g

Sugars
g

Sucrose
mg

Glucose
mg

Fructose
mg

Lactose
mg

Maltose
mg

Galactose
mg

From Nutritiondata.com which uses the USDA database. Last I looked USDA had that sort of info for many, but not all foods.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jul-15-09, 09:32

What is that data for?

From what I was reading, it sounds like L-fructose converts to D-fructose with extreme ease.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jul-15-09, 09:53
Experimenter

BF:

That's for a raw apple.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jul-15-09, 23:06

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
The studies on fructose are on fructose... not differentiating corn based fructose from apple based fructose. Those of you claiming they're metabolized differently somehow need to come up with something showing that. Looking forward to seeing what you dig up.

Why would you say something like that?? Surely someone must have done a study on the metabolism of corn vs. other fructose sources? You don't have any? How about anyone else?
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-09, 08:39
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcb
Why would you say something like that?? Surely someone must have done a study on the metabolism of corn vs. other fructose sources? You don't have any? How about anyone else?

Maybe so but I sure can't find anything. I suspect it's one of those science no-brainers, fructose is fructose despite the source of the left or right handedness of it and it all works the same.

Maybe folks are just a little too mired in the brainwashing we've received all our lives about the healthiness of sweet fruit, honey and so on? It simply never occurs to us that maybe we've been misled about certain dietary things and we still assume that "white knowledge" is true.

I suspect that fructose was probably always a kind of low dose thing in the human diet. Something the body could deal with in low quantities. But we've gone from an average consumption of under a pound to into the dozens of pounds in the last 30 years.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-09, 09:16

BF:

I did see a study that said that gluconeogenisis continued with fructose consumption wheras with glucose consumption it is suppressed.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-09, 09:23

Is that how fructose raises BG? I'm totally mystified by how it can do it at all.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-09, 09:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
Is that how fructose raises BG? I'm totally mystified by how it can do it at all.

The abstract was pretty confusing to read but BG did continue to increase but they said it was due to continued gluconeogenesis. Apparently it also increased blood pressure in healthy young adults. But they iv injected fructose over a 4 hr period too. So it wasn't paired with glucose like it is in table sugar and it wasn't absorbed through the stomach.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-09, 10:35

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I suspect that fructose was probably always a kind of low dose thing in the human diet. Something the body could deal with in low quantities. But we've gone from an average consumption of under a pound to into the dozens of pounds in the last 30 years.

I have wild strawberries, wild raspberries, and a serviceberry tree and all those fruits are not very sweet. Over the past hundred years, breeders have made fruits sweeter. Compare an apple you can buy today with a wild apple that would have grown 100 years ago and it's way way sweeter. The fruits of today are sweeter, as is the "sweet" corn.

Quote:
The miracle is not that we have all become overweight and sick. The miracle is that we are not all dead in the face of the incessant fructose doping

It's the American Paradox.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-09, 11:04
Experimenter

BF:

I don't think the levels of fructose most low carbers are eating is an issue, it's just that most people are sucking down soda, juice drinks, agave syrup, honey, etc, etc and they think it's healthy because it isn't sugar. Not to mention they stick it in every manufactured food under the sun.