Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#241   ^
Old Fri, Jul-24-09, 11:31

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 194/192.5/184 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default What kind of container?

I read the whole thread and I also am leary about nuking anything in plastic, even if it is FDA approved. Would a small loaf pan work? Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
  #242   ^
Old Sat, Jul-25-09, 09:07

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I use glass dishes in the microwave.

You could ovenbake it instead.
  #243   ^
Old Sat, Jul-25-09, 11:24

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 194/192.5/184 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Thanks

I found a small rectangular glass dish. I'm looking forward to trying this.
  #244   ^
Old Sat, Jul-25-09, 21:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/229/162 Female 178 cm (5' 9 1/2")
BF:
Progress: 32%

bake it in a coffee mug!
  #245   ^
Old Sat, Dec-05-09, 16:34

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 190/169/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress:

I make flax bread in the micro wave all the time, I only use one egg in mine but I have to use a lot more flax and add water to mine. How much does it rise? How big are the slices?
  #246   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-09, 09:36

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 276/247/156 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Elizellen,

Please could you tell me exactly what make of coffee grinder you use to grind your flax seeds? I bought a hand cranked coffee grinder, but I would be using it all day to grind enough to bake with. i asked in my local electrial shop and was told that the coffee grinders they had would not grind the seeds as they are too small.
  #247   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-09, 14:06

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I use a normal coffee grinder, not a burr, a grinder, the one on the market for years.
  #248   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-09, 14:32

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow

I put caraway seed in mine and it SO improves it, and gives me that 'taste-of-[highcarb]-home' of Rye bread, my fave.

I'm with rightnow. I LOVED rye bread. Especially with pastrami, swiss, & spicy mustard. Maybe with some 'kraut or coleslaw on the side.

I think I'm going to try this with the caraway and bake it in the oven. I wonder if adding (please all don't jump on me at once, here for suggesting it) a tsp or two of dark rye flour would improve the taste and or oven baked texture.

A tsp of dark rye flour has 1.9 grams of carb with about 0.5 grams of fibre, netting out at about 1.2 grams of carb. Even adding two tsps to the entire recipe wouldn't up the count that dramatically...unless one ate the entire loaf.

Would definitely be for those on OWL, of course.

ok, crowd, be gentle on me!
  #249   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-09, 19:43

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmum1977
I'm with rightnow. I LOVED rye bread. Especially with pastrami, swiss, & spicy mustard. Maybe with some 'kraut or coleslaw on the side.

I think I'm going to try this with the caraway and bake it in the oven. I wonder if adding (please all don't jump on me at once, here for suggesting it) a tsp or two of dark rye flour would improve the taste and or oven baked texture.

A tsp of dark rye flour has 1.9 grams of carb with about 0.5 grams of fibre, netting out at about 1.2 grams of carb. Even adding two tsps to the entire recipe wouldn't up the count that dramatically...unless one ate the entire loaf.

Would definitely be for those on OWL, of course.

ok, crowd, be gentle on me!

Not gonna jump on you! Actually, having gotten to your, presumably first goal, I think it's a good time to go on maintenance for awhile to let your body and your mind catch up! And the small amount of rye flour/caraway seed added to flax bread/muffins sounds like a super idea -- I don't know why I didn't think of it myself! ** Note to self: add rye flour to grocery list **
  #250   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-09, 10:37

thanks, Glendarc! I'm glad you didn't think me evil for suggesting it.

I haven't gone rye flour shopping yet, but I understand there are three types: light, med, & dark. It would be the dark that has the most pronounced rye flavour (think pumpernickel bread vs. light rye!). Coincidentally, it also has the most fibre, which means it would be the best choice I think....most taste and fibre for less of a carb hit.
  #251   ^
Old Sat, Dec-19-09, 13:17

Plan: low carb
Stats: 200/000/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I just made this as suggested with the addition of a tablespoon of dark rye flour and a healthy dose of caraway seeds. This is unbelievably delicious! I just toasted a slice and spread with cream cheese - heaven.

The only problem I have is that others say they get 8 slices - I nuke it in the sandwich size tuperware and it barely rises so I end up slicing it in half and then down the middle to make 4 thin half slices. I don't know how I would get 8 slices unless I had a laser handy. Am I doing something wrong? Should it rise more? Should I use more baking powder or let the "batter" sit before nuking? This happens to me whether I use the original recipe as written or I add caraway seeds and a bit of flour.
  #252   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-10, 15:37
Registered Member

Plan: No sugar or starches
Stats: 145/147/140 Female 67
BF:
Progress:

dumb question, but i don't think it's been asked yet...you don't have to beat the eggs with an eggbeater? just mix them up by hand?
  #253   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-10, 19:37

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutsnseeds
I just made this as suggested with the addition of a tablespoon of dark rye flour and a healthy dose of caraway seeds. This is unbelievably delicious! I just toasted a slice and spread with cream cheese - heaven.

The only problem I have is that others say they get 8 slices - I nuke it in the sandwich size tuperware and it barely rises so I end up slicing it in half and then down the middle to make 4 thin half slices. I don't know how I would get 8 slices unless I had a laser handy. Am I doing something wrong? Should it rise more? Should I use more baking powder or let the "batter" sit before nuking? This happens to me whether I use the original recipe as written or I add caraway seeds and a bit of flour.

Yeah, I don't get 8 slices either - usually 2 if I want regular bread size slices. I've noticed that no-one seems to say what size their slices are.

Quote:
I don't know how I would get 8 slices unless I had a laser handy.
And they'd be so thin you wouldn't be able to spread anything on them anyway!!

caligirl2, I just whip them a bit with a fork - no need for an egg beater. In fact, I don't even own an egg beater anymore - just an electric mixer! Wow! how times change!!
  #254   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-10, 11:04
Registered Member

Plan: No sugar or starches
Stats: 145/147/140 Female 67
BF:
Progress:

i tried this last night and again this morning...i was impressed!! It didn't rise though, so i used extra baking powder in my batch this morning...but it still didn't rise. It tastes good though. In this morning's, i put a little garlic powder and some shredded cheese. It was great! I don't think it would taste as good cold, but it would be useful for dipping things or sandwiches, where you're not eating it for the bread but for the toppings. i have lots of ideas to try with this. thanks!!
  #255   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-10, 11:35

I have to admit, although suggesting the rye flour, I haven't tried it yet. I was toying with the idea of nixing the flour and trying this

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop...rye-flavor-4-oz

But the website contains no nutritional info, no ingredient info (it appears to have yeast in it) and I don't want to order it if it isn't a true extract or better yet, a carb bargain for me