Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#241   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-07, 14:23

Plan: Atkins 92
Stats: 260/200/175 Female 72 inches
BF:Size 20/12/10
Progress: 71%

No WAY! Butter (or any other pure fat) has never stalled me - in fact, I find that the more fat I eat, the faster I lose weight. I've been eating at least 2 pats a day as snacks in addition to cooking with it, etc, and I've lost 8 lbs in the past 2 weeks. Granted, that's induction, but still. Go butter!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #242   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-07, 18:28

Plan: Zero Carb
Stats: 200/189/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 22%

I just had to pop back in here and mention that eating a lot of butter (Irish Kerrygold) in the past 3 days has helped me quickly drop 3 excess pounds I put on over the weekend (carby birthday dinner). I'm amazed!!!

I'm also hooked on Kerrygold It comes unsalted only here. I did sprinkle the tiniest amount of Fleur de sal seasalt and rubbed it in a bit (I likes my butter slightly salty) and I can eat it almost like slivers of cheese when it's icy cold. Tiny slivers at a time. Melting. Yummo.

I discovered another new treat. Now that I've perfected making cheese chips in my microwave my new treat is colby-jack chips with butter on them. After all, the fat mostly drains off in the microwaving, so why not add it back

My old paradigms are screaming at me though... like, hope I don't give myself a heart attack eating this way. It helps that I'm on chap. 12 of Taubes new book and getting a thumbs up kinda thing on fat.
  #243   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-07, 08:17

Plan: M&E
Stats: 199/147.5/120 Female 61in
BF:
Progress: 65%

do you guys eat veg??and so how much..i lost 1.5 lb yesterday bupping my fat.....also do any of you eat heavy cream and how much....im playing around with different things right now ..i lost 60 lbs doint the meat and eggs for 5 months ..which i love but would be nice to eat a salad ever once in awhile..thanks all..port
  #244   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-07, 11:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 508.7/413.3/199 Female 5'10" (top weight 508???)
BF:223chol; 120/80bp
Progress: 31%

bupping? too short, what's THAT about?
  #245   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-07, 11:52

Plan: M&E
Stats: 199/147.5/120 Female 61in
BF:
Progress: 65%

sorry upping my fat
  #246   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-07, 11:59
Registered Member

I thought that 'bupping' might refer to butter-upping. Yeah, I did.
  #247   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-07, 14:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01
do you guys eat veg??and so how much..i lost 1.5 lb yesterday bupping my fat.....also do any of you eat heavy cream and how much....im playing around with different things right now ..i lost 60 lbs doint the meat and eggs for 5 months ..which i love but would be nice to eat a salad ever once in awhile..thanks all..port

I'm a veggie lover here. I don't eat as many as I used to but I do have quite a few salads during the week. I eat a lot of fresh tomatoes and peppers too, since those are coming in by the basketload from our garden. I usually add plenty of EVOO and bacon bits and cheese or chopped HB eggs to up the protein.

I eat heavy cream also. I like it in my scrambled eggs and will also put it in chai tea. The other main way I use it is either ziplock icecream or just drink it straight with a little vanilla DaVinci syrup or stevia and vanilla extract, and sometimes I add glutamine powder) when I just have a bad craving for something sweet, this kills it quick.
  #248   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-07, 14:26

BF:

You guys are onto something. Since I began butter snacking I've dropped 3.4 lbs in 4 days. What the heck???

Having demolished all the Kerrygold, last night I went shopping again. I got some Goat butter (Meyenberg brand). Weird, it looks like Crisco. It's edible but I won't get it again. It has a barely discernable goat flavor I don't much relish. I also got some European Style Cultured Organic butter and now I know it's not the culturing that I don't like, because I love it!!

I still don't know what the deal was with that Amish butter. I got some butter that tasted a lot like that about 4 months ago (it was a brand of butter made from organic grass-fed cows and I'd just read how much healthier butter from grassfed cows was. It WAS darker yellow but had a strange unpleasant taste, just like the Amish butter, and of course, I threw it out. It just tasted rancid, and maybe it just was.

It's sure fun experimenting!
  #249   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-07, 18:29

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Ok, I'm going to have to try to find some KerryGold Butter. I absolutely adore the KerryGold Dubliner (Irish Cheddar) cheese, so I know the quality of the butter must be superior too.

It may be that the Amish butter was still made from sour cream. Not sour cream as in cream that's been cultured to develop a sour taste. I mean cream that's been allowed to just sit around at room temperature until it's sour. It churns quickly, but it's not a nice mellow flavor like something that's been cultured. It's just nasty tasting, like it's gone bad - I guess it could be described as rancid.

Have you ever had dairy products from cows that had been eating wild onions? The onion flavor will definitely come through in the milk (and cream) of pastured cows, especially in the spring when the wild onions are starting to sprout everywhere. I don't know if there's any dairy products out there that take advantage of the onion flavor by selling it as onion flavored butter or cheese. I think most farmers just work extra hard to keep the wild onions out of the pastures.
  #250   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-07, 18:46

Plan: Atkins-ish/IF-ish
Stats: 385/278/180 Female 5'10"
BF:something, maybe
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01

I eat veggies a couple of times a day...and they're such a good vehicle for my butter. In fact, I just went shopping today...asparagus, green beans, crimini mushrooms and spinach are on the menu for the next few days. YUM!

I use heavy cream, I drink it in my Celestial Seasonings Honey Vanilla White Chai and scramble it into eggs. I also love sour cream...which I add into my spinach and/or mushrooms (sauteed in butter). Sometimes I'll eat a tablespoon straight if I want to kill a craving.
  #251   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-07, 18:50
Registered Member

Vegies - a vehicle for my butter! Love it! So cheeky! So true!
  #252   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-07, 18:27

Plan: Atkins-ish/IF-ish
Stats: 385/278/180 Female 5'10"
BF:something, maybe
Progress: 52%

OK, found yet another YUMMY butter. Delitia from Italy...it's made in the same region as Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. It's a sweet cream butter, more creamy white than yellow, and has a rich, velvety texture.

I picked it up at Whole Foods this afternoon. I think it's a topping butter rather than a saute or browning butter. But YMMV.

Butter, butter, butter.
  #253   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-07, 18:36
Registered Member

Yes, that's precisely what Julia Childs was taught in cooking school in France, to use butter as a topper. Topping butter. That's IT!!!
  #254   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-07, 18:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
Ok, I'm going to have to try to find some KerryGold Butter. I absolutely adore the KerryGold Dubliner (Irish Cheddar) cheese, so I know the quality of the butter must be superior too.

It may be that the Amish butter was still made from sour cream. Not sour cream as in cream that's been cultured to develop a sour taste. I mean cream that's been allowed to just sit around at room temperature until it's sour. It churns quickly, but it's not a nice mellow flavor like something that's been cultured. It's just nasty tasting, like it's gone bad - I guess it could be described as rancid.
Ewwwwww...I bet that's what it was.

Quote:
Have you ever had dairy products from cows that had been eating wild onions? The onion flavor will definitely come through in the milk (and cream) of pastured cows, especially in the spring when the wild onions are starting to sprout everywhere. I don't know if there's any dairy products out there that take advantage of the onion flavor by selling it as onion flavored butter or cheese. I think most farmers just work extra hard to keep the wild onions out of the pastures.
Nope, never had that experience! Seems like it would not be a good seller. Now GARLIC butter, heheh, I could get on board with that.
  #255   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-07, 18:51

BF:

Quote:

If you can't find it, look for Organic Valley European Style Cultured Butter. Identical in flavor and consistency!

I wish we had a Whole Foods near here. I think the closest one is Cincinnati and I'd rather poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick than drive down there. Oh well.