Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#211   ^
Old Wed, May-04-11, 05:28

Plan: Ray Peat
Stats: 165/160/120 Female 174cm
BF:
Progress:

I'm not sure if i remember correctly, but i think in the virgin coconut oil there are still tiny bits of coconut fiber which could cause irritation or allergies in some people.
The refined coconut oil doesn't contain anything like that and it's hypoallergenic.

Concerning the oil itself, it doesn't matter because it isn't heat-sensitive and doesn't go ranzid anyway.

If you're doing fine on the regular one and have no problems digesting it, it doesn't matter much which one you choose. That's just personal preferance, if you like the taste or not.

And you other Peatnuts, please correct me if I understood any of that wrong...
Sponsored Links
  #212   ^
Old Wed, May-04-11, 09:42

Plan: IBS Diet/Intuitive Eating
Stats: 321/194.2/199 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

In an interview (see link below), he said the unrefined can be allergenic or hard to digest for some people, because of the cellulose in the pulp. He said that the health benefits of weight loss and anti-cancer properties are contained in the oil, not the pulp, and the refined is much less expensive and does not go rancid.

Here is the link to an interview he gave on the health benefits of coconut oil:

http://media18.podbean.com/pb/496e8...12K_PodBean.mp3
  #213   ^
Old Wed, May-04-11, 10:27

BF:

Hi everyone,
Scarlet pointed out to me that Matt Stone of 180 Degree Health will be devoting the month of May to discussions of Ray Peat's nutritional guidelines. Should be interesting to follow, as well as all the comments. He is calling it, "Ray May". Cute. :-)

http://180degreehealth.blogspot.com...05/ray-may.html
  #214   ^
Old Thu, May-05-11, 08:13

Plan: Peat/Chek
Stats: 195/190/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy B.
Hi everyone,
Scarlet pointed out to me that Matt Stone of 180 Degree Health will be devoting the month of May to discussions of Ray Peat's nutritional guidelines. Should be interesting to follow, as well as all the comments. He is calling it, "Ray May". Cute. :-)

http://180degreehealth.blogspot.com...05/ray-may.html

I love reading Matty Stone, he cracks me up. LOVING the "Ray May" month. If anyone wants to join, there is now a facebook group dedicated to Ray Peat called "Ray Peat Fans" it's still small, but growing everyday. 2 Fitness instructors names Aram Hovespian and Ruben Serrano started the group. They alsp have LOTS of videos relating to the work of Ray Peat, they are very nice and very informative. www. workoutmaster.com
  #215   ^
Old Fri, May-06-11, 06:07
Registered Member

Stats: 200/90/85 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51
If you follow the link from Lita's Jan newsletter to the diet rules, (this is directly below The Prothyroid Diet heading), you will go to a page w the avoids on the left and Organic Prothyroid diet on the right.

Some real differences in this and Peat's recommendations....or maybe just expanded. Or more of a purist approach.

She does not go for the whites, though, including white rice and sugar.

Under sweeteners, stevia, xylotol and agave are listed as okay, as well as the unprocessed sugars.
It makes sense that agave would make the list considering their stance on fructose.

She includes yogurt, as well, which Peat is against.

It'd be interesting to know why and maybe I'll find the answer if I keep digging....maybe not.

This is curious, in her diet recommendations Lita says:

Butter and Olive oil are healthy too, but not for cooking.

Butter is plenty saturated, which makes it one of the better fats to cook with as far I know (considering saturated fatty acids are the most resistant to lipid peroxidation)

Anybody know her objections to cooking with it? Something she knows that we don't?

Last edited by Doug78 : Fri, May-06-11 at 06:17.
  #216   ^
Old Fri, May-06-11, 06:25

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug78
Butter is plenty saturated, which makes it one of the better fats to cook with as far I know (considering saturated fatty acids are the most resistant to lipid peroxidation)

Anybody know her objections to cooking with it? Something she knows that we don't?

Sadly even butter's smoke point is quite low. The only safe fats to COOK with (as opposed to using as spreads or in salad dressings etc.), are coconut oil, tallow and lard. Personally I do not favour lard due to the PUFAs though.
  #217   ^
Old Fri, May-06-11, 06:28
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet
Sadly even butter's smoke point is quite low. The only safe fats to COOK with (as opposed to using as spreads or in salad dressings etc.), are coconut oil, tallow and lard.
don't forget palm oil.. it has a higher heat set point than coconut oil.
  #218   ^
Old Fri, May-06-11, 06:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
don't forget palm oil.. it has a higher heat set point than coconut oil.

Is it not high in PUFAs though?
  #219   ^
Old Fri, May-06-11, 06:49
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

the perfect oil

y'know.. i keep reading the same thing and coming to different conclusions.
palm and coconut oil are processed the same way, yet one has a higher heat temperature than the other.
whether its the Palmitic acid or the omega 3's... i'm still at a crossroad.

Last edited by PilotGal : Fri, May-06-11 at 07:03.
  #220   ^
Old Fri, May-06-11, 07:08
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet
Sadly even butter's smoke point is quite low. The only safe fats to COOK with (as opposed to using as spreads or in salad dressings etc.), are coconut oil, tallow and lard. Personally I do not favour lard due to the PUFAs though.

ahh so it's a matter of smoke point. Looks like I'll be sticking with ghee then:

Quote:
Coconut oil Extra Virgin (Unrefined) 350°F 177°C
Coconut oil Refined 450°F 232°C
Butter 250–300°F 121–149°C
Ghee (Indian Clarified Butter) 485°F 252°C
Olive oil(low acidity) Extra virgin 405°F 207°C
Palm oil Difractionated 455°F 235°C

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point

Looks like I might even have to stop cooking with EV coconut oil and switch to the refined version. I've noticed that it's pretty rough on my digestion anyway. I have noticed on that Matt Stone link this, though:

Quote:
"This study clearly indicates the potential benefits of VCO [virgin] over CO [copra] in maintaining lipid metabolism and antioxidant status."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19767885

it's never easy is it?

Last edited by Doug78 : Fri, May-06-11 at 07:15.
  #221   ^
Old Fri, May-06-11, 07:18

Well palm oil has 10% PUFAs and CO only 1.6% according to wiki. So I think I'll stick with CO for now.

Incidentally, I do believe one of the reasons ZC works so well for so many people is that it is low PUFA, since lamb and beef are the most frequently eaten meats and nuts and pork tend to be limited. Also, the gelatin/e defo improves the amino acid imposition of the diet.

Last edited by Scarlet : Fri, May-06-11 at 09:44.
  #222   ^
Old Fri, May-06-11, 07:32
Registered Member

BF:

I'd like to hear more on the whole refined vs virgin coconut oil issue. I can't help but be hesitant about using a product that has gone through a certain degree of processing compared to a more natural product. It would ease my concerns a bit if I saw some long term research on people who consumed the refined version.

Does anybody know if the studies done on the coconut oil consuming populations (Tokelau, Pukapuka, Yucatan etc) were using the refined or unrefined versions?
  #223   ^
Old Fri, May-06-11, 09:43

BF:

Hi Doug,
You might want to listen to the interview I gave the link for above, Post #212. Peat talks quite a bit about the coconut oil refining process.

Cathy
  #224   ^
Old Fri, May-06-11, 09:48

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

I would not assume that refined is a good thing; Is it chemically processed to remove odor/taste? Is it just more highly filtered?

I think you would need to go to the company web site to find this out.

Also w Peat and any other heath 'expert', some of this stuff is purely opinion or taste.
We must decide for ourselves after doing our own research.

In reading the kickas website, the good doc said in his video that sugar is absorbed in the upper gut so cannot cause bacterial growth in the colon. That's sugar mixed in coffee, etc NOT attatched to a starch!

Anyway, that made me think of Peat's recommendation.
Only thing is, it does not take away the insulin response so too much can still cause weight gain.

On the CO causing gut (or any) issue, it may be quantity.
As we all know, if something is good for us, more must be better.....well, not necessarily.
My days of slamming CO had to end but I can cook w it. Just can't ingest massive quantities.

I made my first batch of ghee recently and am very happy w that.

Last edited by jem51 : Fri, May-06-11 at 09:56.
  #225   ^
Old Fri, May-06-11, 10:45
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy B.
Hi Doug,
You might want to listen to the interview I gave the link for above, Post #212. Peat talks quite a bit about the coconut oil refining process.

Cathy

Thankyou Cathy.

The link didn't work for me but I went to Matt Stone's site where he was talking about refined coconut oil and he provided the link below to an interview where Ray was talking about it. Is it the same interview?

http://eluv.podbean.com/?s=ray+peat