Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#211   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-07, 20:00
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Judy, what a great post. Better skin and better fitting clothes are both great news...but I'll tell you, weighing the same as last year is HUGE not to mention that your body is obviously smaller too (desipte weighing the same)...it's like incredible maintenance with a bonus! Awesome job!!

I wanted to check in and quickly post about a true real-world scenario where weight training was SO helpful...

Today my MIL and I drove (2+ hours each way) to my Mom's house to pack/label/sort/organize while my Mom is away...we figured we'd get as much done as we could today and one more day next week so my Mom and I will have a better time of it the last week up there (end of March). Anyhow, the reason I'm telling you all this is because we packed boxes of photo albums to put in the car and my MIL insisted we both had to carry one particularly heavy box and I lifted it with ease! Then there was another box of frames that my sister grunted and tried to lift and I yelled at her to leave it there...and once again lifted it with ease (and brought it to the car). I also brought a bookcase in from car all by myself and the two of them just watched me in awe. LOL I wasn't trying to impress, but it was crappy weather and it was just easier for me to navigate these things myself. (My sister is out of shape and my MIL just isn't in good enough shape since she's been away recently from her weight training routine...see? Uh huh, exactly!) Needless to say I felt wonderful about how fit I've truly become and it made a challenging day a bit better.
Sponsored Links
  #212   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-07, 20:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/182/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi gals! I'm back! I had to take a few days off because my back was giving me fits. It's better again, so I'm back to trying to strengthen those muscles.

Deb
  #213   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-07, 22:25
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Oh Lisa!! Can you come over here to help me move a bookcase? Muscle woman!!

Take good care of that back DEB!!! No working out until you feel better!!
  #214   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-07, 09:45

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 153.0/144.8/130.0 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

Judy that is inspiring to me b/c I haven't seen the scale move much! Which if I am shrinking I could care less what the scale does!

Lisa - I know who to call when i move!

Hi Deb!!
  #215   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-07, 09:52

BF:

#216   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 07:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/217/160 Female 6'
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks for the welcome

I just got back from vacation, and wanted to thank you all for the warm welcome. Now, to get a gym log and journal going! I'm antsy to get into the weight room.
  #217   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-07, 15:31
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Hi babes! I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I only went to the gym once this week but I'm not beating myself up over it. I definitely had other days of "fitness" (real world stuff like moving heavy boxes and snow shoveling) so I don't feel all that bad about it. This coming week I'll be finishing with my trainer and it's time to start doing some things differently anyhow, so I figure the break isn't a bad thing. Besides, while trying to take care of my body this week (amidst a lot of stress) I managed to drop a bit of weight and hit an all-time low today. I'll check in again early this week! Stay strong!!
  #218   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-07, 23:01

Plan: Weight Loss Study
Stats: 203/134.2/130 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hi ladies! I've been staying loyal to my strength training plan - working out with my trainer once a week and on my own once a week. I also flipped through a copy of New Rules of Lifting this weekend. Great book! Lou has a great attitude toward exercise and fitness. One of Lou's rules was basically it's ok if focused strength training isn't for you - ust make sure you're doing something. That combined with his statements about endurance and muscle building activites being counterproductive to each other is what made me decide not to buy the book right now. For right now, my primary focus is on running (endurance) with enough weight training to maintain and maybe slightly build muscle. At some point in the future, I probably will buy it, but probably not until next fall or winter, when the running dies down for a while.

Lisa's post about how much she can lift now reminded me of a wonderful result of weightlifting - I can lift both my kids at the same time now! My boys are over 30 pounds each and trying to lift one or both when they're acting up is a challenge. I haven't really been able to do it for any length of time since they were closer to 20 pounds each. I went out to dinner with the family the other night, one of the boys started acting up, and I was able to carry them both out of the restaurant fairly easily while DH paid the tab. Woohoo!

Judynyc - glad you're feeling better. I also have those bumps on my upper arms. I hope mine go away too!
  #219   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 09:06
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjf9
Lisa's post about how much she can lift now reminded me of a wonderful result of weightlifting - I can lift both my kids at the same time now! My boys are over 30 pounds each and trying to lift one or both when they're acting up is a challenge. I haven't really been able to do it for any length of time since they were closer to 20 pounds each. I went out to dinner with the family the other night, one of the boys started acting up, and I was able to carry them both out of the restaurant fairly easily while DH paid the tab. Woohoo!

What a GREAT story! I love hearing about real-life applications to our hard work. It sounds like what you're doing is really paying off!!
  #220   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 09:49

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Hi Babes

Thought I'd share this article here:

Quote:
Don't Just Get on the Ball. Do It Right

By Jim Hage
Washington Post
20 March, 2007

"Over there, look," trainer Juilieanna McGuire says, pointing discreetly toward a young woman stretching her back over a large rubber exercise ball. "I used to try to correct them, but now it would be a full-time job."

Anyone who has been to a gym in the past decade has seen people working out with inflatable exercise balls, sometimes called Swiss, stability or yoga balls. But, as McGuire points out, fewer have seen them used properly. More on that in a minute.

Strengthening and developing the body's core -- primarily the abdominal and back muscles -- is the reason for working with an exercise ball and an outgrowth of the Pilates philosophy. The ball's instability means you must continually work your core muscles to balance yourself on it or against it. Rather than targeting the extremities and large muscles, as most gym gear does, the ball forces you to engage trunk muscles, even while working the arms and legs.

"Balance and posture are critical to every activity, from dancing to just walking," McGuire says. And, she adds, it's "so often neglected, mostly by guys, who usually come to the gym to work their arms and legs."

McGuire used the ball regularly in sessions as the trainer for the men's basketball team at Virginia Tech. "Traditional strength is important for basketball players," she says, "but just as important is a strong and flexible center, especially for guys doing the variety of movements they do."

These days, McGuire incorporates ball exercises into every client's training session at the Washington Sports Club in Chevy Chase. Novices can do basic exercises, such as push-ups with hands on the floor and the ball elevating the thighs. Doing the exercise this way increases gravitational resistance and, more significant, activates abdominal muscles needed to maintain the position. The closer to your ankles you move the ball, the harder the exercise gets.

Ball sit-ups, another basic exercise, also take balance and constant core adjustments while engaging the abdominals more directly. Hey, no cheating -- keep that ball fully inflated. A squishy ball decreases balance issues and makes such exercises less difficult.

Intermediate-level exercises include squeezing and lifting the ball with your legs while lying flat on your back. Once the ball is overhead, rotate it back and forth 90 degrees from your core. Return to start. Repeat.

More-advanced exercises incorporate dumbbell repetitions while seated on the ball; maintaining coordination and balance makes resistance training even more challenging. The Mayo Clinic presents a good slide show of some stability ball exercises at http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/core-strength/SM00046.

Oh, and what's the problem with arching your back over the ball, as so many people do? You think you're stretching the muscles in the center of your back, but you're actually contracting them. Better to lengthen the back muscles, McGuire says, by simply touching your toes.

Exercise balls aren't just for the gym. Some cost as little as $10 and are available online, at sports stores and at some major retailers. Balls come in a variety of sizes, mostly 55 to 75 centimeters in diameter; 65 centimeters is usually a good fit if your height is between 5-foot-8 and 6-foot-3. You've got the right size if you can sit on the ball with your feet flat on the floor and knees bent at 90 degrees.

That seated position is becoming popular even in offices, where some use the ball as a desk chair so that balance and adjustment become a part of every working moment. While some bosses may fear an uncomfortable shifting of authority from such a humble perch, freelance writer Scott Douglas, in Portland, Maine, works at his desk on his exercise ball for strictly ergonomic reasons: "It takes me longer to start slouching," he says.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...7031602084.html

I've been using my ball at home for my weight training workouts, and it does make it more challenging.
  #221   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 10:06

BF:

Great article Demi!!

We use the ball alot in our CORE Essentials class. I really like the challenging stuff like oblique side crunches with a wieght in the hand closest to the ceiling and your legs out straight scissored. It really challenging b/c you have to keep your balance the entire time. The beginner version is like in this w/o a weight and both legs not straight!
  #222   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 16:48
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Demi, you always share the greatest articles! I do love working with the ball. I have actually done that backwards stretch. Oops! It's ok, I stretch by toe-touching a lot too. I'll know better from now on!

How're all you babes doing? I had my last appointment with my trainer today and he spent 2 hours with me...first doing a light, but complicated workout and then going over all my notes, measuring me, and helping me get in gear for my future work without him. It was really positive. I put a few details in my gym log.

Stay strong everyone!
  #223   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 08:08

BF:

Here's another article which I thought would be an appropriate read for all us gym bunnies:

Quote:
Working out the rights and wrongs
Is your workout doing you more harm than good? Peta Bee reports

Work out and you will achieve better alignment, improved posture and lengthening of muscles that have been crunched by a sedentary lifestyle, right? Not according to the authors of a new book, Master the Art of Working Out, who claim that bad habits and poor technique can cause postural problems, pulled muscles, joint stiffness and pain. Malcolm Balk, an Alexander Technique teacher, and Andrew Shields — both qualified athletic coaches and authors of The Art of Running — claim that even the most basic exercises, such as press-ups and running, are often done so badly that they can cause back and neck pain.

If you are working out three times a week or more it can take as little as six months for injury to set in, particularly if you have vulnerabilities in certain parts of your body.

Equipment is often the cause of injuries in people who don’t use it properly and can also reduce the effectiveness of your workout by up to 15 per cent, says Sammy Margo, of the Chartered Society of Physiotherapists. “If you go hell for leather, you are asking for trouble,” she says. “Fitness training should be about quality, not quantity.”

PRESS-UPS

Typical mistakes This is another exercise that is routinely performed badly in gyms, Balk says. “A poor starting position in a press-up is directly related to poor posture when standing. Dropping the hips creates an exaggerated arch in the lower back, which compromises the integrity of the spine as well as restricting movement in the lower ribs. In turn, this limits breathing.” Dropping the head as you move towards the floor is another bad habit, creating unnecessary strain in the shoulders and upper back.

What to do Imagine your head is leading a “lengthening” of your spine; don’t stiffen the body to maintain a correct position. Instead of raising the shoulder blades to push yourself back up, try to rebound off the hands. “At the start of each repetition, pause to release any tension,” Shields says.

EXERCISE BIKE

Typical mistakes A University of Texas study found that many people have the seat of a stationary bike set so low that their legs are cramped, or so high that they have to pedal on tiptoe. Having it too low crunches your body uncomfortably, which can eventually lead to shortening and compression of the spine. Supporting your weight by leaning too heavily on the handlebars can lead to excessive strain in the upper body.

What to do To find the correct pedal height, place the ball of the foot on a pedal, with the leg extended and with a slight bend. Make sure that the handlebars are not too close, causing you to hunch your back, or too far forward, causing you to overreach and put excessive weight on your arms.

“Always take time to set up your bike,” Shields says. “If you need to, make a note of the settings and carry it with you.”

In Spinning classes, don’t be afraid to use an upright stance (standing on the pedals) when performing “hill climbs” as this will lessen tension in the upper body and allow the legs to work harder.

SQUATS

Typical mistakes “When you watch this exercise being performed, you can see why it has a reputation as being bad for backs, knees or both,” says Shields. “Most people stick out their bottom and that causes the spine to tilt in the lumbar region, eventually causing postural weaknesses.”

With the lower back arched, head crunched so far back that it practically touches the shoulders and eyes fixed on the ceiling, it can cause tightening in every part of the body from the neck down.

What to do To master the squat, first try to do it without holding any weights. Make sure that your neck is not tense, lengthen your torso while retaining the spine’s natural S-shape, release your knees out over the toes and keep your heels on the ground.

“Done properly, the squat will help the spine to do what it’s meant to do ordinarily, namely to lengthen and become stronger,” says Mike Banks, the chief physiotherapist at Chelsea Football Club for 12 years and now based at the Marlow Club, a gym in Buckinghamshire.

ROWING MACHINE

Typical mistakes “A lot of people have appallingly bad technique on this piece of equipment,” says Shields. “They use an aggressive movement, with an arched back, that is nothing like the technique used by Olympic rowers. The result is spinal curvature and a lot of tension through the neck.”

Watching the display panel at the front of the machine is also a bad habit, says Patrick Pearson, an Olympic rowing coach and an Alexander Technique teacher. “Because the panel is usually positioned below eye level, the temptation to pull down is almost irresistible,” he says. “The result is that we usually tighten our muscles in some way.”

What to do Put tape over the display panel to avoid focusing on it, Pearson advises, “except for the bits displaying time on the machine and rating (stroke per minute), which should be set at 18 to 26 to start with”. Sammy Margo says to keep the back upright, and the head, neck and arms relaxed throughout a stroke. “Push strongly with the legs and rock the body gently forward from the hips,” she says.

TREADMILL RUNNING

Typical mistakes Because the head weighs about 10lb, a nodding movement à la Paula Radcliffe is going to place a tremendous load on the body, creating tension in the shoulders and putting pressure on the spine.

“Foot-slapping is common on treadmills as people struggle to adjust their foot patterns, but you are jarring your whole system,” says Margo. Another common mistake is flopping hands, assuming it means a relaxed style. But it creates tension, as the shoulders tighten to pick up the slack.

What to do Loosen your neck so that your head extends gently forward. This helps to lengthen the spine, which releases muscles and joints to improve body alignment. Focusing your gaze about 30 yards ahead can help to keep your head steady. Practise running lightly and quietly, landing on the balls of your feet. “If you put your heel down in front of you, it acts as a brake,” says Balk. “By keeping your legs below you and your body weight on the balls of your feet, you reduce impact and increase speed.”

ABDOMINAL CRUNCHES

Typical mistakes When many people do a crunch, it is the neck and upper back that do most of the work. As the head is pulled forward by the supporting hands, the spine becomes compressed. Struggling to get your elbows past your knees causes tension in the front of the body. “Swiss balls are also a recipe for disaster,” Shields says. “If you perform an exercise wrongly on the floor, the bad effects are magnified on the ball.”

What to do Shields says that placing a folded top or a towel under your head helps to prevent neck tension. “Placing your hands across the chest reduces the tendency to yank forward the head and neck.” Moving the upper body a few centimetres is all that is needed to execute a crunch successfully. Ensure that you feel the abdominal muscles tighten before sitting up.

Master the Art of Working Out , by Malcolm Balk and Andrew Shields (Collins & Brown)

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/...icle1525274.ece

Some good information and advice there.
  #224   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-07, 08:55
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Demi, I'll definitely re-read this one a lot. You always have the best articles. The foot-slapping commentary about the treadmill hit home. Thankfully I knew enough NOT to do that, but I can understand when you're tired and weak how easy it is to do. It's the same with the jump squats my trainer showed me...you have to land "lightly" and boy, is that tough! But it's good for you!!

Thanks for the all the support in my gym log, babes! I am unfortunately not feeling so well today (fighting cold, ovulation symptoms and/or a combination of all that exacerbated by stress due to personal issues) so I'm resting today. But tomorrow I hope to be back at the gym with a good workout. Stay strong everyone!
  #225   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-07, 07:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaz8605
Thanks for the all the support in my gym log, babes! I am unfortunately not feeling so well today (fighting cold, ovulation symptoms and/or a combination of all that exacerbated by stress due to personal issues) so I'm resting today. But tomorrow I hope to be back at the gym with a good workout. Stay strong everyone!

For Lisa and anyone else who's not feeling well or is nursing an injury:

Quote:
Speedy recovery

Can yoga or Pilates help back pain? Should you go for the burn when you've got a cold? Peta Bee on how to exercise with an illness or injury

Gym junkies swear that working out is a hard-core cure-all - it keeps the blood circulating to areas that need healing and sweats out severe colds. Are they aware, however, that exercise-related injuries are on the increase?

According to figures from Bupa Sports Injury clinics, up to 50,000 people suffer some form of sports injury every day, while research at the University of Arkansas revealed that there has been a 35% rise in gym injuries since the 80s. And with the flu season now upon us, many of even the most enthusiastic exercisers will be deliberating whether or not to hit the treadmill.

In some cases, experts say, persevering with your workouts can enhance recovery from illness and injury; in others, it can hamper it.
How to negotiate this minefield? Professor Thomas Weidner, director of athletic training at Ball State university, Indiana and a leading researcher in the effect of exercise on colds (and vice versa), says a consistent gym programme "pumps the immune system" and keeps us from getting colds in the first place. But if you do get a bout of the sniffles, should you forgo your gym sessions until you recover? Weidner says the decision should initially depend on how poorly you are feeling and "always listen to your body".

A useful strategy is to assess the severity of your cold. If you have a runny nose, sneezing or a sore throat (what Weidner calls "above-the-neck" symptoms), it is probably safe to exercise at a low intensity - walking, cycling or yoga - and it may even boost the activity of illness-fighting white blood cells. If, however, you are suffering from extreme tiredness, muscle-aches or feverish symptoms (below-the-neck), stay at home with a hot-water bottle.

According to guidelines from the American Council on Exercise - a consumer watchdog on the fitness industry - allow at least two weeks for a full recovery if you have flu-like symptoms. Mild colds, though, are different. In various recent studies, Weidner and his colleagues inoculated subjects with rhinovirus and then asked them to follow either a moderate exercise regime (half-hour workouts at 70% of their maximum heart rates on treadmills, bikes or steppers for five days a week), or to remain mostly sedentary, except for a shortish walk to work. While the exercisers said they felt better after their gym sessions, there was no difference in symptoms between the groups.

"Nobody feels good when they have a head cold, but research says people can exercise," Weidner says. "It found that cold symptoms do not get worse after working out and that athletic performance does not suffer during light to moderate exercise. Neither the severity nor duration of symptoms seem to be affected."

Among the most common injuries to sporty types are pulled or torn leg muscles. Claire Small, a spokeswoman for the Chartered Society of Physiotherapists, who specialises in treating musculoskeletal problems, says laying off workouts for a few days after pulling a muscle is essential: the healing process begins with an inflammatory response that can last for three to five days. "This is a crucial time during which rest - protection of the injured muscle is vital in order to prevent any further damage," Small says. "During the inflammatory reaction, the body produces chemicals and cells that remove dead muscle fibres and start the repair process."

After that, however, a gradual return to exercise is the best route to recovery. "A lot of people make the mistake of resting completely for four weeks if they get a sports injury, only to launch back into their fitness programme once they feel no more pain," says Ben Ashworth, a physiotherapist at the Olympic Medical Institute in Northwick Park Hospital. "Because the body's tissues harden themselves to activity over time, a sudden return can predispose someone to getting injured again." Instead, says Ashworth, they should consult a physiotherapist who will gently increase their exercise load. Pool-based sessions are often included because the water acts as a giant cushion for the joint and muscles.

"Swimming or aqua-jogging [using a buoyancy aid] is great for many injuries because it is no-impact and supports your body weight, while giving a good cardiovascular workout," Ashworth says. "From there, they could progress to walking on grass or a soft surface."

If you suffer from weak knees or ankles, a mini-trampoline or rebounder - as used by David Beckham - is a great buy. American researchers have found that the body has to work harder to run on a springy surface than on a treadmill, which means that you could burn more calories - around 100 for every eight to 10 minutes spent bouncing up and down. "Mini-trampolines encourage a little bit of assisted mobilisation," Ashworth says. "The elastic recoil of the bed affords some protection."

Yoga may be beneficial for some problems, although it should only be performed on the recommendation of a physiotherapist. A recent study into back pain published in the American College of Physicians' Annals of Internal Medicine, found that a gentle yoga class seemed a better alternative to general exercise or a self-help book for back pain. However, Dr Karen Sherman, who conducted the study, conceded that more vigorous types of yoga, and classes led by poorly qualified instructors, can potentially make problems worse. Matt Todman, consultant physiotherapist at the Sports & Spinal Clinic, Harley Street, agrees, saying "yoga is generally not good for back pain and a lot of its postures can compound the problem by loading pressure on the back".

Instead, Todman recommends Pilates classes, preferably run by a physiotherapist. Studies at Queensland University in Australia have shown that Pilates exercises can develop the core muscles in the trunk which support the back and help to prevent a range of leg injuries. "The importance of posture is massively underplayed," Todman says. "Poor posture is the most common cause of back ache and that links to other injuries. Activities like Pilates can help to correct that."

While flexibility is important in injury prevention, too much stretching as part of a rehabilitation programme, can do more harm than good. "Most normally active individuals only need to maintain a normal range of motion to function at a high level and to function safely," says Cedric Bryant, chief exercise physiologist at Ace.

Too many people, however, don't stop there. "They think that if being able to touch your toes is considered normal, being able to touch four inches past your toes must be better," Bryant says. "There is evidence to suggest that hyper-mobility in some people can be a risk factor for further injury".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/health/st...1925653,00.html

I've been back in the gym this week ... a lot of interval work on the treadmill and several UBWO sessions. I'm currently avoiding anything that could affect my wrist (i.e., anything that means I have to bend it back) and it seems to be fine. Planning on fitting in a LBWO this weekend, and if the weather is good, then I'll be out walking. If not, then I'm going to be bouncing on my rebounder

Have a good one Babes!