Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#196   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 11:55

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

Thanks for the input. I did not have another "warm flash" last night. As my sister said, "when you have a hot flash, you'll know it." As a late-menopauser (is that a word), it is just a waiting game -- I would happily give up periods and cramps -- but I am afraid of being in my late 50's with strong symptoms, so every little heat wave makes me nervous.

Also as a person with hypothyroid, I do tend to be either very cold or very hot -- not much of a good temperature range there.

But so far induction is pretty easy for me, but I'm not weighing myself for a few days (until I get my new scale). I don't feel like I've lost any significant weight, but I do feel better overall.

When I get real hot flashes, I'll come back to this thread for advice.
Sponsored Links
  #197   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-10, 19:06

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 214/150.4/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmeyster
Last night I woke up extremely hot. I am 52 and have never had a hot flash. I was not sweating at all (all though I really don't sweat much anyway), just very warm and had to remove all the covers even though the room was probably near 50 degrees. The feeling went away after about 15 minutes.
Any ideas?

That sounds exactly like the kind of hot flashes I get at night. No sweating, just way too warm for a short time, no matter how cold the room is. No biggie, they go away eventually, although it can make for the occasional broken night's sleep.
  #198   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-10, 13:13
Registered Member

Plan: whatever works
Stats: 145/131/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:< than yesterday
Progress: 93%

Hey ladies, I dunno if i'm posting in the right thread, just wanted to say hi. Been a couple of years. Will be 55 (!!!!) in August. I'm on RE INDUCTION! i'm determined but man, it doesn't get any easier as you get older.

Stalls...at this point it looks like everything I eat is a stall....!

This is 8th day of induction, wooo hooo, I'm being very patient and drinking tons of water but the scale isn't moving.

But my clothes are looser so I still have HOPE

I have induction battle fatigue.

really, really tired.

maybe I should start OWL already? weight loss is kind of slow but I want to keep losing, however slowly.

Thanks for readin. Cheerio
Lainie
PS oops should add I'm now 145 looking to lose...well any amount would be nice but hoping around twenty pounds...

Last edited by Lightbird : Fri, Jun-11-10 at 13:19.
  #199   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-10, 15:00
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Smile

Good luck with your plan! Frankly, 145 makes you a 'light' bird in my book but good luck losing what you want to lose.
  #200   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-10, 18:12
Registered Member

Plan: whatever works
Stats: 145/131/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:< than yesterday
Progress: 93%

i know, i feel kind of bad complaining. thanks!!
  #201   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-10, 09:42

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi Ladies.

I was wondering if any of you used Bare Minerals make-up and if so...which foundation do you like best. Matte or original?
Thanks~ Debbie
  #202   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-10, 09:50
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmeyster
Last night I woke up extremely hot. I am 52 and have never had a hot flash. I was not sweating at all (all though I really don't sweat much anyway), just very warm and had to remove all the covers even though the room was probably near 50 degrees. The feeling went away after about 15 minutes.
i went and bought this HUGE fan that follows me around the house! wherever i am, i have to have the fan on me. my "hot" at night is my head. i go through stages of clammy on my neck, the whole head is hot, like 10 or more degrees hotter than the rest of the body. in fact, i've been talking about going and getting a thermometer and start recording the temp. it gets really hot and i start throwing covers on and off throughout the night...
i figured it was my metabolism..
this is nothing like a hot flash.
  #203   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-10, 10:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress:
Default 50's Low carber

Hey there!

been low carbing for over a decade - long before it was even "hot" to do -

I am in my 50's - have struggled with my weight for years - it didn't help

that I taught culinary for 30 years - as my doctor said you cant put an

alcoholic in a brewery and expect them to have success - but the good news

is I just retired and am away from the constant daily temptations and will

have real sustained success - I know Low Carb works for me -

and yes, let's gather the 50 year olds together!
  #204   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-10, 15:51
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

May I join???

I officially made it into my 50s May 18th.

Lisa
  #205   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-10, 17:24
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Smile

Congratulations on turning 50! And welcome...
  #206   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-10, 20:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress:
Default nifty fifties

I have done Atkins for years - and it works when I am true to it - as I rolled into the 50's I learned I could not take liberties with the program or I would not have the success I was used to - not sure if it was yo-yo syndrome
or just age - can't say it was hormones because an emergency surgery sent me into immediate full time ugly menopause - HRT was out as it created havoc with my moods and I put on even more weight -

I was active in a forum like this up to '05 but it got ugly so I dropped out - I missed this so because it really helped me win the weight battle

glad we are together again
  #207   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-10, 17:50

Plan: whatever is best
Stats: 206/206/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chermac
That sounds exactly like the kind of hot flashes I get at night. No sweating, just way too warm for a short time, no matter how cold the room is. No biggie, they go away eventually, although it can make for the occasional broken night's sleep.

At 39, I started having the 'hot flashes". From 40-50, I have been going thru 'the change'. At first, it was the hot flashes whenever, plus I got those great 'night sweats'!. I was told to take hormone replacement therapy. What that did was put something in my system, which made me break out on my arms, shoulders and back... and left scars. Plus, after a year, I am told it may add to the possibility of getting breast cancer. That was in 2002, I am still battling the scarring at 2010... man does it ever end?!

Along with the 'change of life', I was told I need to try a 'drug which didn't make me want to kill someone!'... hence we started Paxil. Oh, that was soooooooo nice... I gained 20 lbs. the first year and another 25 the next.. then at my my next visit to the OBGYN, I was told that the weight gain was from using the Paxil... oh yea!)

So, I stopped smoking Jan. 2000, which I would generously add 20 pounds to my weight. The rest, which totals approx. 45-50 pounds, is due to the Paxil for about 2 years, which I finally was told was the reason I was gaining weight, and changed to Cymbalta.

Oh, and there's the bouts with extreme stomach pain when I ate... which I was told has to be because of the gall bladder, and was taken out. Here, I need to say I could not eat hardly anything in one sitting, so I know I was not eating alot.

Now, I need to lose some weight caused by something I did not know would make me gain weight. It is so frustrating, for a 5'4" gal who used to weigh 145# and was happy with my weight... I filled it out well... LOL

At 50+, I would be extremely happy to lose my waist weight, so I could look nice is pants. I mean, I might wear a 20W because of my waist but the legs of the pants are so large, it looks like I'm wearing clown pants, (2-3 inches wide with no leg area)... sorry, can't explain.

I want to lose that belly fat, for health reasons, and so I don't have to buy elastic pants because they run 16, when the waist is actually 20W.

If anyone has more to do other than the low carb, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks y'all

Tammy
  #208   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-10, 07:50

Plan: low carb
Stats: 200/000/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi all - I'm 51 and looking for advice on low carbing during menopause. I just missed my last two periods (completely regular until then) and my body seems to be in real turmoil - some mild nighttime hot flashes that wreck my sleep but don't really count as sweats in my book, almost constant cramping. I continue to exercise and eat LC but have not lost weight in months. Any advice of how to get this moving again?
  #209   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-11, 07:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/185/155 Female 5"6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Joining the great 50's group

Wow, I am impressed with you all....just starting Adkins. Did so well on it many moons ago and need to lose a minimum of 30 pounds, for my knee health if nothing else, I thought I would try it again. I find that trying to lose without a plan, doesn't work for me. Plus, those carbs really bring me down! Anyhoo....I am not really dure how this all works so I hope I get it straight eventually. Not sure how to put that info on my posts like I see on others. AND....can anyone tell me a good resourse for eating at restaurnats? Good luck Ladies. We have wisdom right? LOL SallyMac
  #210   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-11, 15:05

Plan: God's Will Be Done
Stats: 306/189/162 Female 5'7
BF:Morris Chestnut
Progress: 81%

Stopping by to say "hello" and I want to join too. Turning 51 February 24th.