Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#181   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-05, 05:49
Queen of Bouncing

Plan: Temp - PSMF
Stats: 240/198/135 Female 63"
BF:Who Knows
Progress: 40%

For those that want to know I was up 1 pound this morning from my free meal last night. Hopefully that will be gone again tomorrow morning

I have also decided to measure Wednesdays. I was going to measure Saturday (since it had been a week since my last measurement) but that was the day after a free meal. I figure Wednesdays should be good days to measure since they will be 2 days back on the diet after a free meal. I am probably only going to measure the 3 key spots rather than the entire set of points I usually measure monthly (all the ones listed on mybodycomp.com).

ETA: Oh, today I am also starting to try the EC stack thing. Only 0.5 of 1 dose for starters though (at least as far as the ephedra goes, I was already doing the 200 mg of caffeine last week).

Debbie
Sponsored Links
  #182   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-05, 06:01
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Fauve, KIS stands for Keep It Simple, and it's basically Atkins induction without dairy, artificial sweeteners, and processed meats. Just plain cooked-yourself meats, fats, eggs, and LC veggies.
  #183   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-05, 08:41
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, I completely fell off the bandwagon yesterday. A free meal turned into a "free day". It could have been a LOT worse, at least I didn't binge, I just at what I wasn't supposed to!

Lessons Learned

1) Free meals are best done at night, so you aren't tempted the rest of the day.

2) If you're getting tempted to continue the free meal on into the day, have some good high protein snack.

3) Keep temptations out of the home! (I always think I've got this one beat and it always comes home to bite me!)
  #184   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-05, 10:29
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Quote:

I'm going to stick for 9 weeks (I'm category 3, 6-12 weeks, I figured I'd split the difference and see where I am). After that I will re-evaluate and see what happens. At the end of the 9 weeks I'm supposed to go on a "diet break" and "eat normally" anyway. For me Atkins is normal. So I will probably do that for the 2 weeks and then decide.

Debbie, the idea behind the diet break is to eat >100 grams of carbs/day in order to upregulate your thyroid hormone levels. This helps to make weightloss easier after the diet break is over.

Lyle's not suggesting that you go out and eat junk food during this time, but to make sure you eat maintenance level of calories by adding more carbs and fat to your diet. The carbs can be low GI carbs like oatmeal, yams, squash, legumes etc. with about 20-25% fat intake. 100 grams of carbs really isn't that much compared to the SAD.

Lyle has the rules written for specific reasons. I wouldn't stray too far from his suggestions (esp. following Atkins during that time) or you risk downregulating your metabolism. Lyle's very much into "flexible dieting", meaning that planned cheats make dieting more successful, based on research that he cites in his book. If one has trouble with this concept, it's best to try another program, IMHO. Kristine's suggested some really good alternatives.

Basically, you take out the structured cheats/refeeds and the diet break (as proposed in his book), and all you have left is a starvation diet. Not good!
  #185   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-05, 11:34

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 182/169.5/150 Female 5feet 5 inches
BF:39%
Progress: 39%

Im traveling on Thursday and I am really disappointed because I will not be able to be on this diet while Im gone! I was doing so well, but now I have to get back into Atkin's version of low carbing. Any suggestions on how to NOT overindulge while away? Im packing some almonds, pepporoni, sf jello, 2-3 cans of chicken/turkey, and finally some pancake mix. I have a kitchen so I will be cooking my own breakfasts (and hopefully lunches). AARRGGHHHH...I was doing so well!!
  #186   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-05, 12:10
Experimenter

BF:

Since you have a kitch you have lots of options. If I were you I'd go shopping first thing when I arrived and would get:

Bags of pre-washed, cut lettuce.
Cooked chicken breast (check freezer section)
NF salad dressing
Tuna
NF cottage cheese
Frozen, unsweetened raspberries

I'd have salads with tuna or chicken breast, NF cottage cheese with a few berries and some sweetener on top. Pretty much what I eat everyday anyway.
  #187   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-05, 12:58

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

'Fauve, KIS stands for Keep It Simple, and it's basically Atkins induction without dairy, artificial sweeteners, and processed meats. Just plain cooked-yourself meats, fats, eggs, and LC veggies.'
Thank you Kristine. This is exactly what I am doing too.
I just feel so great lately; I think I have really found out what works best for me.
Nancy, yeah I have read that too, that we do better on a higher level of carbs, but I think I may be the exception! I just feel wonderful on this extremely low carb (less than 5g) and low cal. I'm glad though that I have reintroduce the fat, that really helps with my energy.
Have a great day you all!
  #188   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-05, 14:39
Queen of Bouncing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcollier
Debbie, the idea behind the diet break is to eat >100 grams of carbs/day in order to upregulate your thyroid hormone levels. This helps to make weightloss easier after the diet break is over.

Lyle's not suggesting that you go out and eat junk food during this time, but to make sure you eat maintenance level of calories by adding more carbs and fat to your diet. The carbs can be low GI carbs like oatmeal, yams, squash, legumes etc. with about 20-25% fat intake. 100 grams of carbs really isn't that much compared to the SAD.

Lyle has the rules written for specific reasons. I wouldn't stray too far from his suggestions (esp. following Atkins during that time) or you risk downregulating your metabolism. Lyle's very much into "flexible dieting", meaning that planned cheats make dieting more successful, based on research that he cites in his book. If one has trouble with this concept, it's best to try another program, IMHO. Kristine's suggested some really good alternatives.

Basically, you take out the structured cheats/refeeds and the diet break (as proposed in his book), and all you have left is a starvation diet. Not good!

Thanks for the advice. This is one reason I love this forum. I will reread the book again on that part. We often read what we want to see and not what is really there Though I will say I definitely was planning on rereading that part anyway when I got close to that time Some parts I probably didn't read as well as I should have because they didn't apply at the time.

Debbie
  #189   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-05, 19:36
Experimenter

BF:

I made PSMF chili tonight. Basically turkey sausage, diced tomates (canned), chili power, onions, cumin, splash of wine and artichoke hearts and red pepper flakes.

YUM! Best 138 calories ever!
  #190   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-05, 20:18
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhyreworks
Thanks for the advice. This is one reason I love this forum. I will reread the book again on that part. We often read what we want to see and not what is really there Though I will say I definitely was planning on rereading that part anyway when I got close to that time Some parts I probably didn't read as well as I should have because they didn't apply at the time.

Debbie

You're welcome Debbie.
  #191   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-05, 05:31
Queen of Bouncing

Well, I'm only down half a pound this morning from the +1 pound gain due to the free meal Sunday evening. I'm a bit disappointed because I was sure I'd lost a lot more. Darn! Of course I should know better by now than to "count my pounds before they're lost", hehe

Debbie
  #192   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-05, 06:34
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I made PSMF chili tonight. Basically turkey sausage, diced tomates (canned), chili power, onions, cumin, splash of wine and artichoke hearts and red pepper flakes.

Sounds great - but you forgot my favorite part, a can of mushroom pieces and stems.

I'm back down to 138 today.
  #193   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-05, 09:38
Experimenter

BF:

Woo hoo! Good job, Kristine! I'm hovering 1 pound over my low. I had a little slip on Sunday. A free meal turned into a refeed. *sigh* getting rid of that carbage and giving the refeeds a pass for awhile.

My appetite has gone down even more. I have forgotten my pre-breakfast protein smoothie two days in a row and haven't felt unduly hungry.
  #194   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-05, 09:51
Registered Member

Plan: psmf
Stats: 180/159/129 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

dont feel bad. yesterday i ate practicallly everything in my house.

BUT i felt bad enough to go back and reread some things and take a look at the forum. it turns out i was thinking of grams of protein per pound, when the ratio is actually grams of protein per kg of lbm. this makes a significant difference in what i should be eating. i can only imagine that i will see better results doing it the way im supposed to.
  #195   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-05, 09:53
Experimenter

BF:

Also, I believe those are the minimum protein requirements. There's no reason not to go over them if you are hungry. For me, it means cravings and crap if I don't get my protein in on time.