Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-09, 13:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/127/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
That's like asking me to prove that a weightless, pink, invisible elephant doesn't exist on my front lawn.

Lack of evidence doesn't confirm it's existence. If anything it tends to confirm it doesn't exist.

Now how ironic is that?

Let's not forget that we didn't even start to find paleoliths or fossils of early humans until 1920.

Until then the idea that modern man evolved from something other than modern man (or that "Man/Apes" ever existed) was all speculation based on people's best guesses and judgement.

I'm pretty sure the Paleolithic era existed prior to 1920. I'm also pretty sure that atoms existed prior to their "discovery."

Some scientists call the idea of any planets in the outer solar system that haven't been discovered yet Planet X! There's not even evidence for them, but they have a name! Scientists are assuming there is much left to be discovered. Just because they don't see those planets yet doesn't mean they aren't there.

When scientists think something might exist but there's no evidence yet, they call their idea a "hypothesis." It sounds like your hypothesis regarding that elephant on your lawn is going to be difficult for your to test. Good luck with that!

ANYWAY!

I'm asking for the "plenty of evidence to disprove the theory" that some Paleolithic people may have consumed milk and/or milk products. I'm asking for this evidence because Tarlach said there was plenty. I'm not asking for him to "prove" his point because he can't.

I'm not sure how much evidence you have for that weightless pink invisible elephant Nancy, but we'll see how it compares to the quantity of evidence that Tarlach has!
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-09, 15:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I like you, I<3Splenda, you vomit up your sleeve. There's something intrinsically ok about someone that does that, in my book. But coming to the Paleo sub-forum where the guidelines for all the paleo diets out there are pretty clear, no dairy, and arguing that dairy is part of the paleo diet is like going to the Atkins forum (or one of the other low carb forums) and arguing that sugar and potatoes are valid low carb foods.

It's something that we have to deal with on a regular basis and it does get pretty annoying after awhile. Although I am getting better at ignoring such discussions, I'm not, as you can see, entirely immune to responding to them.
  #153   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-09, 16:15

BF:

Quote:
But coming to the Paleo sub-forum where the guidelines for all the paleo diets out there are pretty clear, no dairy, and arguing that dairy is part of the paleo diet is like going to the Atkins forum (or one of the other low carb forums) and arguing that sugar and potatoes are valid low carb foods.

I disagree, however I cede!
  #154   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-09, 09:37

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3splenda
Some scientists call the idea of any planets in the outer solar system that haven't been discovered yet Planet X! There's not even evidence for them, but they have a name! Scientists are assuming there is much left to be discovered. Just because they don't see those planets yet doesn't mean they aren't there.

Thanks for lightening up the tone... this is starting to get fun again.

In the 19th century, the existence of Planet X was hypothesized because the orbit of Uranus appeared to be perturbed by another mass. The search for planet X led to the discovery of Pluto, but Pluto is too small to affect Uranus's orbit that much, and the search went on. In 1989, Voyager 2 revealed that Neptune's mass had been overestimated, and the correction accounted for the orbit of Uranus without the need for Planet X.

The idea of Planet X as representing any sort of undiscovered thing entered the public consciousness during all this, and has filtered back into the scientific community that way, but there really was evidence that caused them to look for a specific planet originally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluto
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_X
  #155   ^
Old Fri, Aug-28-09, 14:15
Experimenter

BF:

Might want to give the raw dairy a miss if you're pregnant, maybe fungi too.

Pre-Eclampsia And Diet: New Link Discovered
  #156   ^
Old Fri, Aug-28-09, 14:32

That's not really what the article says.

Quote:
"Ergothioneine is known as an antioxidant and antioxidants have been proposed to be helpful in reducing the risk of preeclampsia. It is therefore very interesting that we have found it to be in excess for women with the condition," says Dr Fisher.

Quote:
There is no known cause of the condition.

Tom Brewer made a pretty good case for it being caused by a high-carb, low-protein, restricted-salt diet.
  #157   ^
Old Fri, Aug-28-09, 14:34
Experimenter

BF:

It isn't? You sure about that?
Quote:
In results published in the journal Reproductive Sciences, chemists found a significantly higher concentration of the ergothioneine - a compound made by fungi - in the red blood cells of the women with pre-eclampsia.

Ergothioneine is already well known to be made by micro-organisms that are commonly found in foods such as unpasteurised dairy products. As it cannot be synthesised by humans it finds its way into human cells exclusively through our diet.
  #158   ^
Old Sun, Aug-30-09, 06:49

It didn't sound like a clear conclusion that it was bad. It brought to mind the Hyperlipid article about endotoxin.
  #159   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-09, 09:59

BF:

Quote:
I wonder what the deal is with the nausea? From an evolutionary point of view it doesn't seem like a good thing. And making you eat/crave only crappy grain products doesn't seem like a good evolutionary move, especially since they probably weren't available to native peoples, before modern times.

Hey Nancy! This link was posted to a Natural Parenting forum:

Quote:
After testing the two dominant theories (one adaptive and the other non-adaptive) for why two-thirds of women around the world -- but seemingly no other mammals -- experience nausea and vomiting in pregnancy, only one holds water, says Paul Sherman, Cornell professor of neurobiology and behavior and a Weiss Presidential Fellow.

"Our study, which tested theories and predictions about the nature of parent-offspring conflict in human pregnancy, shows that nausea and vomiting in pregnancy is beneficial by expelling such foods as meat and strong-tasting vegetables that historically and still may contain harmful toxins and microorganisms that could potentially sicken the woman and damage her fetus just when its organs are developing and are most vulnerable to chemicals," said Sherman, who is an expert in Darwinian medicine -- viewing diseases from an evolutionary perspective.

His study, conducted with University of Colorado evolutionary behaviorist Samuel M. Flaxman '98, Ph.D. '05, who worked as a postdoctoral researcher at Cornell from 2005 to 2007, is published in the July issue of The American Naturalist.

http://www.physorg.com/news134143992.html

Interesting!
  #160   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-09, 10:08

BF:

Quote:
It isn't? You sure about that?

Nancy, this is from your article:

Quote:
The NHS does not advise against pregnant women eating fungi or foods such as unpasteurised dairy products which contain ergothioneine producing fungi. In fact scientific studies on animals highlight the benefit of ergothioneine.

"These results suggest that a higher level of ergothioneine is an indicator of pre-eclampsia," says Dr Julie Fisher, a chemist at the University of Leeds who lead the research.

"I would not recommend that pregnant women stop eating fungi. However, the high concentration of ergothioneine in the red blood cells of women with pre-eclampsia is a very interesting finding

This idea wouldn't explain the high rates of preeclampsia among American women where most dairy products are pasturized, opposed to the lower rates of preeclampsia in European countries where unpasturized dairy products are prevelent and not necessarily advised against during pregnancy. I highly doubt American women consume more fungi than Europeans.
  #161   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-09, 10:16
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
"Our study, which tested theories and predictions about the nature of parent-offspring conflict in human pregnancy, shows that nausea and vomiting in pregnancy is beneficial by expelling such foods as meat and strong-tasting vegetables that historically and still may contain harmful toxins and microorganisms that could potentially sicken the woman and damage her fetus just when its organs are developing and are most vulnerable to chemicals," said Sherman, who is an expert in Darwinian medicine -- viewing diseases from an evolutionary perspective.

I've heard this theory and it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If it were the body reacting to something toxic then why does it occur in the morning when your stomach is likely empty? It seems like it would occur immediately after eating, like cats seem to do. And then it seems like some women are really drawn to some stuff that seems pretty toxic to me, saltine crackers, and reject things that should be pretty healthy like meat and veggies.
  #162   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-09, 10:29

BF:

Quote:
I've heard this theory and it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If it were the body reacting to something toxic then why does it occur in the morning when your stomach is likely empty? It seems like it would occur immediately after eating, like cats seem to do. And then it seems like some women are really drawn to some stuff that seems pretty toxic to me, saltine crackers, and reject things that should be pretty healthy like meat and veggies.

Nancy, as any pregnant woman would clue you in - "Morning" sickness is not limited to morning. I don't know any pregnant women who have only been sick in the morning. It mentions that in the article as well

And, as illustrated by my puking up the sleeve incident - sickness does occur immediately after eating (even before)

The article also explains why foods that are "healthy like meat and veggies" are rejected - did you read it?

Anyway! You're free to disagree with experts in Darwinian medicine, evolutionary behaviorism & neurobiolgy. I thought their credentials would be interesting to you since you were speculating in an evolutionary perspective
  #163   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-09, 10:50
Experimenter

BF:

Ok, I read the whole thing, not just your snippet. So it would seem that rejecting meat and veggies goes back to an era when they're likely to be tainted. So your body isn't reacting to the taint, but the potential of taint. Probably the stuff women seem to hold down, carby products and dairy perhaps, haven't been around long enough to set up any sort of natural selection towards rejecting them.

I wonder what women of yore ate to keep themselves and their fetuses from starving.
  #164   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-09, 12:58

BF:

Quote:
Ok, I read the whole thing, not just your snippet. So it would seem that rejecting meat and veggies goes back to an era when they're likely to be tainted. So your body isn't reacting to the taint, but the potential of taint. Probably the stuff women seem to hold down, carby products and dairy perhaps, haven't been around long enough to set up any sort of natural selection towards rejecting them.

I wonder what women of yore ate to keep themselves and their fetuses from starving.

Good for you!

Yes, meat would have been a source of parasites & harmful microorganisms and vegetables can harbor harmful bacteria and mold. I don't know what you mean by "goes back to an era" - both can still be contaminated (in any country, "developed" or "primitive"). I know many vegetarian and vegan mothers who were even adverse to meat substitutes. Even the idea of these foods can make some women spew. That's a strong compulsion!

Carby products are processed. The chances of your transmitting a parasite from a cracker are pretty non existant, opposed to a wild animal that is likely to have a parasite.

Also remember that your villification of carbs is specific to you and a small percentage of population. Most people don't consider a cracker to be "toxic"

I wonder what women ate too! It's still common for women to be so adverse to foods and so sick that they to lose weight in the first trimester. Women's bodies feed babies first, so the likelyhood of a fetus starving in those first few months are slim provided the woman survives. As mentioned in the article, the nausea typically only lasts through that volitaile first trimester.

As I was reaching for my homemade pickles I wondered if the notorious "pickle cravings" could be related to craving foods that are least likely to harbor bacteria. It's possible! Who knows?
  #165   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-09, 15:13
Experimenter

BF:

Well, cooking pretty much takes care of the parasites, bacteria and such. So if they're upchucking raw veggies, I could understand. Cooked, not so much.