Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#151   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 05:23

Plan: hcg
Stats: 180/154.0/139 Female 5 7'
BF:
Progress: 63%

FINALLY!!!! I'm doing a little happy dance this morning! It only took 3 1/2 weeks but I finally lost weight. Hmmmm, do I count what I gained on the diet? I gained 2 pounds the first week. I lost 3 pounds so I guess I'm down 1 pound. Who would think that I'd be happy about 1 pound BUT I AM!!

Justin, I'm a little worried about you. 700 calories and low carb could put a lot of stress on your body. Plus I bet it's killing your enenrgy level. I know you also did this diet with a doctor last year. You may know better then I do. Did he tell you not to drop below a certain calorie count?? Your dog sounds adorable. Mine is 6 years old and is just starting to show signs of slowing down. He was a little too hyper so it's good.

Laura, my son started as a baby with dairy allergies. He seemed to improve as he got a little older ( one to three ) then he got slammed. He had a lot of behavioral issues and was sick all the time. It ended up that he had food allergys ( mostly dairy and food dyes ). There are lots of dairy free products out there. SO tough because I'm not a cook, but processed food has so many hidden things.

Startinove, been thinking about you!! Hope you're ok
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 06:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 353.5/307.4/150 Female 5'4.5"
BF:Yep. Lots.
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by startinova
I suck. I wasn't even going to write you guys, why bring someone else down? I can't do this stupid diet. I know in my head that it is the only way I'll lose weight. But, I can't even get through one day. I don't even have a shape anymore. I'm just round. This is disgusting. The bigger I get, the more I start to shrink in my life. I won't go to the grocery store cause a worker in there told me I need to slow down on the weight gain. I don't want to go out cause I'm scared I'm going to run into somebody, like my old personal trainers. I don't go anywhere at work outside of my office cause I don't want to run into anyone who knew me when. This is some bullllllllll!!!

I am so frustrated with this, with myself. I swear, can't win for losing.

Oh my friend, I am so so sorry I wasn't around yesterday to post right back to you. And I am so so glad you posted. It just broke my heart to read what you wrote-- I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND. I gained back not only all I'd lost, but nearly 100 lbs more. I grew agoraphobic the same way you describe-- not wanting to go outside the house at all for fear of seeing someone. Even people I didn't know frightened me....

You can do this. You. You can. Don't let the grocery people or anyone else stop you! I'm going to pm you too. You can do it. Hang on. *huggg*
  #153   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 06:37
Registered Member

Stats: 353.5/307.4/150 Female 5'4.5"
BF:Yep. Lots.
Progress: 23%

A general howdy to all as well!

Kelleygirl-- HOORAY!!! Congratulations, sister! I am so totally proud of you. With everything you were feeling you stuck it out and it's started paying off again. Yay! You know I totally went through that a few weeks ago-- did some tweaking to the diet and now it seems like the pounds are starting to melt off. I'm down almost 6 pounds in a little over a week!

Doxie - the BF does stand for Body Fat if you measure it. You can change the stats there when you edit your profile for weight and such. I have never really measured it myself

Justin- I'm with you, I loved mixed drinks too! I used to like vodka collins, whiskey sour, and rusty nails. hehe Then I became a purist and went for dry martinis, 1 olive, or gibsons. Go figure. Sounded like you had a good day yesterday, though 700 calories seems a bit low. Salad and meatloaf sound good though!

Laura- I admire your tenacity with being good to the baby and cooking homemade for her, etc. So many people don't or aren't able to help their kids not end up in exactly the same boat. I'm sure to you it feels like second nature to take care of her that way, but it is still something to be proud of.

Joy-- HI!! Congrats on getting back on the horse after a "bad" day! I think that's probably the big secret to making this work. Not letting a bad day mean it's time to give up. Yay for you! *hug*

Hope I'm not missing anyone...hard to keep track in here sometimes!

In my own news, I'm down another .8 of a pound this morning! I can't believe it. I'm going to go do the myPLAN for yesterday. This is what I remember from Atkins, the success being extremely motivating.

Power to all of us! *huggsweegroupoffriends*

Last edited by ~Dolphin~ : Tue, Mar-22-11 at 06:47. Reason: forgot joy
  #154   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 07:47

Stats: 325/239/240 Male 6'5''
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleygirl
FINALLY!!!! I'm doing a little happy dance this morning! It only took 3 1/2 weeks but I finally lost weight. Hmmmm, do I count what I gained on the diet? I gained 2 pounds the first week. I lost 3 pounds so I guess I'm down 1 pound. Who would think that I'd be happy about 1 pound BUT I AM!!

Justin, I'm a little worried about you. 700 calories and low carb could put a lot of stress on your body. Plus I bet it's killing your enenrgy level. I know you also did this diet with a doctor last year. You may know better then I do. Did he tell you not to drop below a certain calorie count?? Your dog sounds adorable. Mine is 6 years old and is just starting to show signs of slowing down. He was a little too hyper so it's good.

Laura, my son started as a baby with dairy allergies. He seemed to improve as he got a little older ( one to three ) then he got slammed. He had a lot of behavioral issues and was sick all the time. It ended up that he had food allergys ( mostly dairy and food dyes ). There are lots of dairy free products out there. SO tough because I'm not a cook, but processed food has so many hidden things.

Startinove, been thinking about you!! Hope you're ok

Yeah, 700 cals is a bit low but but I'm not hungry.. Congrats on your weight loss! It's so not easy, even though I'm not feeling hungry I still want to eat carbs.

I miss Startinova, I hope she's all right.
  #155   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 07:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dolphin~
A general howdy to all as well!

Kelleygirl-- HOORAY!!! Congratulations, sister! I am so totally proud of you. With everything you were feeling you stuck it out and it's started paying off again. Yay! You know I totally went through that a few weeks ago-- did some tweaking to the diet and now it seems like the pounds are starting to melt off. I'm down almost 6 pounds in a little over a week!

Doxie - the BF does stand for Body Fat if you measure it. You can change the stats there when you edit your profile for weight and such. I have never really measured it myself

Justin- I'm with you, I loved mixed drinks too! I used to like vodka collins, whiskey sour, and rusty nails. hehe Then I became a purist and went for dry martinis, 1 olive, or gibsons. Go figure. Sounded like you had a good day yesterday, though 700 calories seems a bit low. Salad and meatloaf sound good though!

Laura- I admire your tenacity with being good to the baby and cooking homemade for her, etc. So many people don't or aren't able to help their kids not end up in exactly the same boat. I'm sure to you it feels like second nature to take care of her that way, but it is still something to be proud of.

Joy-- HI!! Congrats on getting back on the horse after a "bad" day! I think that's probably the big secret to making this work. Not letting a bad day mean it's time to give up. Yay for you! *hug*

Hope I'm not missing anyone...hard to keep track in here sometimes!

In my own news, I'm down another .8 of a pound this morning! I can't believe it. I'm going to go do the myPLAN for yesterday. This is what I remember from Atkins, the success being extremely motivating.

Power to all of us! *huggsweegroupoffriends*

yes, I agree. It's really hard to keep up with everyone on this thread. LOL I'm now at 29lbs lost on my 4th week!
  #156   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 08:00

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 263.6/242.0/163.6 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hey guys. Thanks for the supportive, encouraging messages. Sorry about my meltdown and then disappearance act. Oh, the drama. I promise I am not always this dramatic. Animated, yes.

I do feel supported by this group. Thank you. I read your posts yesterday. I read them several times a day even when I don't post. I was so moody. But, alas, this morning found me much more optomistic. Ok, a little more positive. I did a low carb breakfast bowl this morning from Hardees. Basically, it is a bowl of salt and fat, but only 6 carbs. Eggs, cheddar and swiss cheese, sausage, bacon bits, ham bits. No coffee the last 4 days. I can't even believe that. I had the opportunity but did not go for it. Shrug.

Kelley--you lost?! Yayyyyyy! It's gonna come. Gotta be patient with yourself.

LC Justin--glad you're on the sobriety horse. Me too. I was a Jack drinker, then wine. I am glad I conquered that. I just stopped cold. Wish I could conquer this.

The treadmill is getting boring huh? Look at Kelly Howell. She has motivational cds for exercising. She is really a hypnotist -- love her stuff, but she has a great cd for running. I can't explain it. Listen to a sample and see what I mean.

I haven't listened to my hypnosis stuff in a really long time. Now, that is unlike me. I need to start that habit back. I stopped when I started school again in August. I don't know what the correlation is to that, maybe just coincidence.

Dolphin--thanks for the understanding and the awesome PM. Yeah, it's growning into a real anxiety. And, I am projecting onto the bf. I keep thinking that even though he's not saying anything he is thinking it. That's my sickness. I guess I need to create a sign for you to swoop in, like the light Gotham uses to call Batman.

Doxiemama--so much for a happy welcome, huh? It's not always like that around here. But it is always supportive. Thank you for the love! This is a new group, so you're right on time. Welcome to our cozy little corner of the world.

Joy, Laura, Kelley--you're the greatest! I actually know you can relate. You guys have got a lot going on. I'm not going to give up. I am going to dig deep for perserverance.

We have a couple of people missing, I think. Should we send out a search party?

Again, THANK YOU TO YOU ALL, I am going to try again today. Afterall, everyday is a new opportunity to be better than the day before.
  #157   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 09:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by startinova
Hey guys. Thanks for the supportive, encouraging messages. Sorry about my meltdown and then disappearance act. Oh, the drama. I promise I am not always this dramatic. Animated, yes.

I do feel supported by this group. Thank you. I read your posts yesterday. I read them several times a day even when I don't post. I was so moody. But, alas, this morning found me much more optomistic. Ok, a little more positive. I did a low carb breakfast bowl this morning from Hardees. Basically, it is a bowl of salt and fat, but only 6 carbs. Eggs, cheddar and swiss cheese, sausage, bacon bits, ham bits. No coffee the last 4 days. I can't even believe that. I had the opportunity but did not go for it. Shrug.

Kelley--you lost?! Yayyyyyy! It's gonna come. Gotta be patient with yourself.

LC Justin--glad you're on the sobriety horse. Me too. I was a Jack drinker, then wine. I am glad I conquered that. I just stopped cold. Wish I could conquer this.

The treadmill is getting boring huh? Look at Kelly Howell. She has motivational cds for exercising. She is really a hypnotist -- love her stuff, but she has a great cd for running. I can't explain it. Listen to a sample and see what I mean.

I haven't listened to my hypnosis stuff in a really long time. Now, that is unlike me. I need to start that habit back. I stopped when I started school again in August. I don't know what the correlation is to that, maybe just coincidence.

Dolphin--thanks for the understanding and the awesome PM. Yeah, it's growning into a real anxiety. And, I am projecting onto the bf. I keep thinking that even though he's not saying anything he is thinking it. That's my sickness. I guess I need to create a sign for you to swoop in, like the light Gotham uses to call Batman.

Doxiemama--so much for a happy welcome, huh? It's not always like that around here. But it is always supportive. Thank you for the love! This is a new group, so you're right on time. Welcome to our cozy little corner of the world.

Joy, Laura, Kelley--you're the greatest! I actually know you can relate. You guys have got a lot going on. I'm not going to give up. I am going to dig deep for perserverance.

We have a couple of people missing, I think. Should we send out a search party?

Again, THANK YOU TO YOU ALL, I am going to try again today. Afterall, everyday is a new opportunity to be better than the day before.

Glad to see you're having a better day, I was rooting for you all weekend. I know it's not easy.

I'm bored of eating boiled eggs in the mornings, I think I'll try a low carb quiche recipe for tomorrow's breakfast.
  #158   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 09:41

Plan: HCG R2 10/17/11
Stats: 176/159.6/155 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 78%

Good Morning Startinova!!!!!!!!!!

I am so glad that my fIrst time ever in this cyber-world has brought me to such a splendid group of people.
I am also so glad that you are back.......we will work together thru "tick~thin"
hahahaha
After all, Spring has Sprung......at least on the calendar.... It means new beginnings....blossoming.....(inside , not outside for all of us)......

On another note....I went for date nite with my Siggie O last night and think I'll skip the scale 2day. I did stay on target, I think????? We split a wedge salad that had microscopic diced tomato.....and I chomped on Wings. Had a divine icy Martini with 3 gigantic olives. I am concerned though about the sodium.....I did drink tons of water with my Happy Hour eats.

Question????? How does one keep calories ~700 (or?) and LC it?? Isn't the whole premise to NOT count calories? And....how long are all of you staying in INDUCTION vs. OWL?? I am really only a week into this but would love to include maybe a half cup of FAGE yogurt for digestive reasons(getting personal here)..haha. So, I'm looking for your opinions.. TTK later.
  #159   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 09:44

Stats: 216/176/155 Female 5ft 7in
BF:33%
Progress: 66%

Hi all, do you mind if I join as well? I started induction AGAIN on the 14th too. I am sticking to my plan well, but starting to get frustrated. Why does it seem like each time is harder than the last?
  #160   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 10:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashaskye
Hi all, do you mind if I join as well? I started induction AGAIN on the 14th too. I am sticking to my plan well, but starting to get frustrated. Why does it seem like each time is harder than the last?

Sure! You are more than welcome to join our little Low Carb family! We support each other on this thread! It is normal to get frustrated at first but it'll pass. I'm on my third and final LC try and not quitting this time!
  #161   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 10:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxiemama
Good Morning Startinova!!!!!!!!!!

I am so glad that my fIrst time ever in this cyber-world has brought me to such a splendid group of people.
I am also so glad that you are back.......we will work together thru "tick~thin"
hahahaha
After all, Spring has Sprung......at least on the calendar.... It means new beginnings....blossoming.....(inside , not outside for all of us)......

On another note....I went for date nite with my Siggie O last night and think I'll skip the scale 2day. I did stay on target, I think????? We split a wedge salad that had microscopic diced tomato.....and I chomped on Wings. Had a divine icy Martini with 3 gigantic olives. I am concerned though about the sodium.....I did drink tons of water with my Happy Hour eats.

Question????? How does one keep calories ~700 (or?) and LC it?? Isn't the whole premise to NOT count calories? And....how long are all of you staying in INDUCTION vs. OWL?? I am really only a week into this but would love to include maybe a half cup of FAGE yogurt for digestive reasons(getting personal here)..haha. So, I'm looking for your opinions.. TTK later.

Oh, I don't do 700 calories everyday, ever since I started my 4th week of Low Carb I'm just not hungry anymore. I have to force myself to eat.
  #162   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 12:05

BF:

Welcome Tash! It's a great group we have here. ESPECIALLY now that Startinova is back. SO happy to hear from you.

Doxie, I did induction for three weeks and gained pounds. I too thought calories didn't matter but guess 2000 was too high for my body. I switched to OWL and added dairy and nuts back in. I finally lost. You have to tweak things until you get the results your looking for. I'm eating about 1600 calories right now and it's perfect. I'm not hungry and it gives me room to have some snacks.
  #163   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 12:12

BF:

I'm going to get off target but just had to say that today is the one year anniversary of "the year from hell" as I lovingly call it. I had planned on drinking either champagne to celibrate that it was over or tequilla to feel sorry for myself. I am starting fresh and will not let stress be an excuse to put food or alcahol in my body anymore!!! No champagne for me!

Maybe God knew that the scale had to move today or I would have been in a really bad mental state.
  #164   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 14:55

Plan: Atkins - modified
Stats: 197/188/140 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Startin - I was a mod and then an admin on low carb support forums. I've seen literally hundreds of people start very committed to eating healthy and losing weight permanently, but never deal with the underlying emotions that cause the stress eating in the first place. Something derails us and we're ashamed to admit we don't have impeccable willpower, and stuff that emotion down with the other ones. Repressed emotions don't go away, they lie in wait for you. The only way to get rid of an emotion is to feel is.

I was on may way to gaining back what I'd lost, even before I got pregnant, because I didn't deal with my issues. It's hard - I've been avoiding them for a long time. I've come to realize, because my daughter is a shiny little mirror, that I have to deal with my issues or I will just pass them on to her. It hit me, reading a parenting book, that someone had to explain to me what unconditional love is and that I could never hope to teach my daughter what I'd never learned myself.

I'm working on showing myself the same mercy and compassion that I give others. People have setbacks and make bad decisions, but that does not make them a bad person or worthless. It makes them human, just like every other person. If you've ever watched CSI, you'll know that no one ever looks good under a microscope. Our microscopes are just usually turned on ourselves.

Every meal is a new chance. Old meals are in the past and can't be changed. Regardless of what happened at the last meal, approach the next one as a new opportunity. Which it is - whatever you did in the past does not dictate what you do in the future.

Dolphin - I don't know about second nature... she loves McDonald's and chocolate... lol I don't want her having to fight this battle, though, and I know she has a better chance if eating well is something she takes for granted. And not having her mother be critical of her looks. It's trite, but I want to become a better person for her.

Except when it comes to Justin and I get jealous... lol Please do make sure you're getting enough vitamins and minerals, though. I have found out that by the time the amount of something in your blood is measurably off, your body has depleted everything out of your body that it could. I thought I was fine until I got pregnant, then the extra strain of growing a baby left me with weakened bones (I'd been on steroids for asthma for years, also a risk factor), dangerously low Vitamin D (which may have contributed to permanent nerve damage from one of my surgeries), and anemia. All my blood test up to that point had been great, but someone finally told me that those things don't happen overnight and had been building for a long time.

Doxie - calories DO matter, but less so if the macronutrients are in the right proportions. There are more eloquent ways to say that... A lot of people try to make weight loss a very simple calculation of calories in minus calories out equals weight loss or gain - but our bodies are all different and there are a lot of variables. Even though walking for a mile may burn 100 calories, for example, there is no such element as calorie in our body. Using simple sugars in the bloodstream is more efficient than converting stored fat to energy, so you can't just say walking a mile uses up 100 calories so you can eat 100 more calories a day if you walk. Because that is an average of different body types running on different combinations of fuels.

Well, maybe the formula is that simple, but the measurements are more complex than most of us have the capacity for.

Also, the body is going to be more stubborn about weight loss the closer you are to your ideal weight. A little padding is good for you, in the survival sense. It may feel like a lot to you, but you're not actually all that far off from your goal.
  #165   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 19:31

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 263.6/242.0/163.6 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Laura thanks for sharing. Yes, we must deal with the underlying causes. I watched Dr. Phil the other day and he said something that resonated with me. He said that you can't fix what you don't acknowledge. That sometimes you have to stop running.You have to stop and turn around and face the beast and say what are we gonna do here.

I also like this phrase (he was talking about finances but I think it can be for food, he said,"It's math, not magic." Basically, we make things so much harder and mystical, when some things are linear, it is what it is.

Anywhoooo--Hey Tash welcome!!! I hope you find this group as supportive and inspiring as I do. So, we stop and have to start over. Guess what: As long as we are alive, we can keep starting over. Hopefully, we'll get the habits we need this time and won't have to, but if so...start over. Whatever. No judgement here.

Justin and Kelley and Dolphin, you guys amaze me. I want to have your perseverance when I grow up.

Everybody, hello. Oh, it is 8:22 p.m. here. I guess it is safe to say I made it through day one.

Menu
Breakfast--Hardees Low Carb Bowl (6 carbs)
Water
Lunch-- 2 Grilled hamburgers (no bread or sides)
1 pc.grilled sausage
1 tbs. yellow mustard
1 Coke Zero
Snack-- 1 Coke Zero

Dinner-- 1 Grilled hamburger
1 tsp. A1 (3 carbs)
Snack-- 1-1/2 bag of plain pork skins covered in hot sauce
1 diet orange sunkist

I think that is it. The bf grilled a freshly slaughtered cow. I already see the sodium overload and the sodas and a need for more water. Oh, and constipation just waiting to happen. But, I only see about 14 carbs or less. I added carbs for "0 carb" sauces and soda.
Closed Thread