Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 09:27

Plan: it varies
Stats: 245/134/140 Female 5'3.5"
BF:
Progress: 106%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC_Dave
Cutie_71 Your weight loss success is extremely inspiring!

Before and after pictures are amazing!

wow, thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 09:47
Low-Carb Dharma

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 446.5/434.6/150 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I had the chance to chat with Jimmy for a bit last night in a low carb recipe chat - he was funny, energetic (insofar as anyone can be energetic in a chat room.. heh) and inspiring.

He did however plug the LC bakery which was very out of place, considering the chat is a place for us to share cooking techniques and recipes to prevent the need for products and learn to cook these foods for ourselves.. but.. ah well.

I read his blog daily - not to find the next great LC product, but to read the inspirational stories, like the one about David Smith! That was fantastic!

My personal view on all the advertisements and Kimkins affiliation? Well, it's a way to make money and capitalize on his weight loss success, which isn't any different than what Kimmer, or whoever she is, is doing (though I will note the fact that many are questioning if it's not just a complete ruse.. but that's another thread, lol.)

I started my own blog, more to be a diary of what I'm doing, what's working for me, what's not working, etc. I might put links or banners to certain things, but not "commercials". Right now I only have links to my favourite FREE game of the day website, lol. It's a great site! Games and programs are absolutely free and work wonderfully - and its something I've tested myself and wanted to share with others. No personal gain involved, just fun!

Would I take money for placing someone's ad there? Hmm.. it's possible, but it would depend on the product - if its something I use, if its something I can recommend with a clear conscience, etc.

And you can be darn sure that when I get to 150 pounds, I will consider writing a book about how I did it! LOL

The motivation behind the "salesmanship" is really the issue here. If I ever did write a book about my own weight loss, it would be for the benefit of others. I would probably have an ebook or published through LuLu and sell it for the cost of publication, not profit. (with LuLu that would be about $1.50 per book)

I have also decided that once I get to goal, I want to work with school age children. I want to visit high schools and give motivational talks - try to inspire these younger ones to fight the battle NOW instead of waiting 25 years.

Would I accept payment for that? It would depend on a lot of things. I believe anyone should be compensated for their work but I also believe the compensation should equal the work, not surpass it.

The point of this rambling post is to say that I can understand being paid for advertising something - though there is a fine line between promoting a product that you personally like and promoting whatever comes across your path simply for monetary gain.

I've heard people are making some big bucks being Kimkins affiliates right now. It's almost tempting to consider - money for sitting online and posting a few banner links and testimonials? Easy cash!

But - I have doubts and issues about Kimmer and some of the advice I've read that she herself has given to others. I spent hours yesterday (sitting on my butt when I could have been exercising, bad me!) reading every single stinking post on the other board - to get some background information about this whole issue and I wasn't calmed by anything I'd read.

Integrity has to have a place in promotional deals, imo. And although the Kimkins plan does work, as many here and elsewhere can attest to, there are big issues that prevent me from standing behind it and supporting the site by becoming an affiliate.

I'll continue to read Jimmy's blog, he cracks me up and he's a jovial, personable fellow! But I can read it and chat with him without feeling the need to buy into everything he promotes.

Take what you need and leave the rest
  #153   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 09:57

Plan: lowfat+very lowcarb+IF
Stats: 252/173/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

The frustrating thing about reading the LCF threads that have popped up is the misinformation being passed around as fact. The KK plans are trashed every other entry as unhealthy starvation plans, and to me its like throwing the baby out with the bath water. I certainly have misgivngs about Kimmer and the Kimkins site, and thats why I never signed up. But the WOE works, no matter how much she ripped off from Stillmans or anything else, or what her intentions are. Its a real shame. With such a mob mentality though, its not worth going in and trying to talk rationaly.
  #154   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 10:08
Low-Carb Dharma

BF:

I agree, Wendy.

I don't have an issue with the plans. I've used K/E myself with great results! My issues are with the person doing the marketing and unproven claims, issues that like, not to mention some of the odd advice I saw Kimmer give to people that definitely made me raise my eyebrows - that advice is not part of the "published plan".

I'm not bashing the Kimkins diets at all - I have grave concerns about the woman and her "separate from the printed plan" advice, behind them, thats all.
  #155   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 10:24
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendykp
The KK plans are trashed every other entry as unhealthy starvation plans...'b'ut the WOE works, no matter how much she ripped off from Stillmans or anything else, or what her intentions are. Its a real shame.

One criticism I've made myself is that the plan is recommending self-starvation.

I can cite study after study that shows very low calorie diets (800 or less calories a day) do indeed cause weight loss (and that's regardless of macronutrient ratios - carbs, protein, fats); I can also cite studies that were conducted in a metabolic ward and found the same results - restrict calories low enough and weight loss is the effect.

The problem is, that over years of doing studies, researchers and clinicians learned (pretty quickly too) that malnutrition is also an effect - so later studies were designed to include adequate essential nutrients across the board; protein is also an issue, so later studies included higher levels of protein to compensate while maintaining strict calorie limits - and still problems persisted.....which gave rise to the recommendation that vLCD need to be supervised and monitored and should NOT exceed 12 weeks duration.

The biggest issue was/is with the gallbladder - a full 25% of subjects following vLCD wind up with gallbladder problems (even when they are medically supervised) with increased gallstone formation; the liver and bilary tract are impacted by vLCD; the resting metabolic rate is significantly reduced over the course of time; nitrogen loss (even with supplemental protein) is higher; and the psycological impacts include becoming obsessive about food during and after a vLCD.

A vLCD is difficult to follow because of intense hunger initially, which soon dissipates (regardless, again, of macronutrient ratios) - but that's not because you're doing something right, it's your metabolism compensating for a severe energy restriction and it is adapting to ensure survival UNTIL food is available in adequate quantity again.

Kimkins is not medically supervised - and from my understanding there isn't even a disclaimer to see a physician and/or be monitored before starting or while following the plan.

The plans I've read about are 500-800 calories a day for weight loss - that is, by definition, a vLCD - there is nothing magical about losing weight at that calorie level....metabolic ward studies have shown repeatedly, at that level of calories, it doesn't matter how many calories come for carbohydrate, fat or protein - that level of calories means weight loss - at a price for side effects that can be easily avoided with less severe means.

Known side effects from diets providing 800 or less calories each day, over a prolonged period, up to 12 weeks, include:

1. Cholelithiasis (gallbladder disease) - 25% of subjects
2. Increased loss of lean body mass
3. Sudden death
4. Hypotension
5. Cold intolerance - 30% subjects
6. Dry skin - 15% subjects
7. Brittle nails - 25% subjects
8. Hair loss - when vLCD exceeds 14 weeks
9. Dry mouth
10. Fatigue
11. Potassium loss, electrolyte imbalance
12. Dizziness which may include fainting
13. Headache - may be sign of electrolyte imbalance or dehydration
14. Diarrhea
15. Nausea and/or abdominal cramps

Personally I'd much rather see someone focus on long-term health and lose weight slower, within the context of a nutrient-dense carb-restricted diet, than starve to lose weight.
  #156   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 10:39

Plan: lowfat+very lowcarb+IF
Stats: 252/173/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

Regina, I think there were a number of us that found we could lose alot very quickly for 2-3 weeks weeks on KK and then stalled, precisely becuse it was so low calorie and had an affect on metabolism. Someone who has common sense and knows a bit about the body realizes they have to up thier calories, as I did, to lose. What is dangerous to me is that as MorganMac mentioned, the private advice to people stalled at 500 calories seems to be to lower it more, etc. I fear that alot of the people who signed up at KK based on the WW article are looking for the quick fix and will blindly follow the prescribed advice rather than listening to thier own bodies.
  #157   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 11:15
Low-Carb Dharma

BF:

Quote:
the private advice to people stalled at 500 calories seems to be to lower it more, etc.

That is definitely some scary stuff.

I've used the K/E plan, but for a very short period of time and sure it worked, but I don't personally think it's the healthiest thing I could do.

On Atkins Induction (a plan designed by a cardiologist) I feel that I eat healthier than I have in many, many years. Nothing that I ever read or on any video of Dr. Atkins I have ever seen, has he ever once recommended something so (in my opinion) dangerous as ingesting less than 500 calories a day. Even Dr. Atkin's Fat Fast stall breaker seems healthier than that! (And he strongly and clearly says it is to be used for a very short period of time)

Regina said:
Quote:
Known side effects from diets providing 800 or less calories each day, over a prolonged period, up to 12 weeks, include:

That is amazing.. considering that 12 weeks doesn't seem a very long time to me.. to see the kind of damage you can do in that relatively short span of time, is quite frightening and only increases my apprehension of this whole Kimmer thing.

She is not a nutritionist, doctor, physical therapist or any other kind of expert. The diet may work, as it seems to have for many people and K/E for a short term boost doesn't seem like such a bad idea to me, personally.

Jimmy Moore is likewise not a "professional", though his posts seem to offer a little more research into some things.. and I have a sneaky feeling he's as hoodwinked by Kimmer as a lot of others are.

He isn't doing K/E by the "book" - he's modifying it to his own personal tastes, which is fine and it's working wonderfully for him! His personal decision to go onto the Kimkins plan is his own choice and more power to him if that's what he needs to do - but hawking her EXPENSIVE site, knowing that he is profitting from it as well, when no one has even met or seen this woman in person, is well.. a little irresponsible, imo.

People trust him and look to his blog for lots of information, ideas and help. I'd hate to see his reputation get dragged through the mud once Kimmer/Heidi is exposed as well. It's really rather sad as I think his motives are (or perhaps were) in the right place.

Blah. I'm such a fence-sitter, lol!
  #158   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 15:15
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaW
One criticism I've made myself is that the plan is recommending self-starvation.

I can cite study after study that shows very low calorie diets (800 or less calories a day) do indeed cause weight loss (and that's regardless of macronutrient ratios - carbs, protein, fats); I can also cite studies that were conducted in a metabolic ward and found the same results - restrict calories low enough and weight loss is the effect.

The problem is, that over years of doing studies, researchers and clinicians learned (pretty quickly too) that malnutrition is also an effect - so later studies were designed to include adequate essential nutrients across the board; protein is also an issue, so later studies included higher levels of protein to compensate while maintaining strict calorie limits - and still problems persisted.....which gave rise to the recommendation that vLCD need to be supervised and monitored and should NOT exceed 12 weeks duration.

The biggest issue was/is with the gallbladder - a full 25% of subjects following vLCD wind up with gallbladder problems (even when they are medically supervised) with increased gallstone formation; the liver and bilary tract are impacted by vLCD; the resting metabolic rate is significantly reduced over the course of time; nitrogen loss (even with supplemental protein) is higher; and the psycological impacts include becoming obsessive about food during and after a vLCD.

A vLCD is difficult to follow because of intense hunger initially, which soon dissipates (regardless, again, of macronutrient ratios) - but that's not because you're doing something right, it's your metabolism compensating for a severe energy restriction and it is adapting to ensure survival UNTIL food is available in adequate quantity again.

Kimkins is not medically supervised - and from my understanding there isn't even a disclaimer to see a physician and/or be monitored before starting or while following the plan.

The plans I've read about are 500-800 calories a day for weight loss - that is, by definition, a vLCD - there is nothing magical about losing weight at that calorie level....metabolic ward studies have shown repeatedly, at that level of calories, it doesn't matter how many calories come for carbohydrate, fat or protein - that level of calories means weight loss - at a price for side effects that can be easily avoided with less severe means.

1. Cholelithiasis (gallbladder disease) - 25% of subjects
2. Increased loss of lean body mass
3. Sudden death
4. Hypotension
5. Cold intolerance - 30% subjects
6. Dry skin - 15% subjects
7. Brittle nails - 25% subjects
8. Hair loss - when vLCD exceeds 14 weeks
9. Dry mouth
10. Fatigue
11. Potassium loss, electrolyte imbalance
12. Dizziness which may include fainting
13. Headache - may be sign of electrolyte imbalance or dehydration
14. Diarrhea
15. Nausea and/or abdominal cramps

Personally I'd much rather see someone focus on long-term health and lose weight slower, within the context of a nutrient-dense carb-restricted diet, than starve to lose weight.

Thank you Regina!! For being a voice of reason and well researched information.

FWIW.....I did not lose my weight quickly at all.....20 months to lose 114 lbs. My average loss was 1.5 lbs a week.....but it was the best 20 months of my life as I was teaching myself to eat this way for life...there is no going back for me.

I've been maintaining this loss for almost 2 yrs now....I eat about 100 grams of good carbs a day and about 2000 cals....and I'm 57 yrs old!!

I feel sorry for those who feel the need to resort to such a low cal and low carb plan to lose weight.....sure it works...but at what cost? After 40 yrs of dieting, I know that there are no magic ways to get it done and speed in losing is not the answer.

Not gaining it back is the answer!! The way you eat to lose it is the way you'll need to keep eating to keep it off....so if you plan on eating a higher carb level than vLCD after you reach goal...then I suggest that you find a plan that teaches you and your body how to do this.....huh? Atkins OWL phase does this!! as does the SBD... as does PP, and all the other reasonable plans out there.
  #159   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 21:45

Plan: which time?
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Exclamation Check this out - Jimmy Moore & Kimkins

Not sure if this has been posted yet:

See article below

Last edited by fizgig32 : Fri, Jul-06-07 at 22:22.
  #160   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 21:51

BF:
Progress:

Friday, July 06, 2007
Who Is Kimmer Behind The Kimkins Diet?
Of all the things to talk about within the realm of livin' la vida low-carb, would you like to guess what topic has got all the low-carb forums going absolutely bonkers right now? If you answered the Kimkins diet and its founder Kimmer, then you would be absolutely correct!

The magazine article that fueled the fire about Kimkins

With all the sudden attention on Kimkins ever since it was featured nationally last month on the front cover of Woman's World magazine, some people on these boards have been asking, "Who is Kimmer behind the Kimkins diet?"

I've even received a few e-mails from sincere low-carbers wagging their finger at me for promoting Kimkins when I should know better about just how unhealthy it is. Say what? A low-carb diet is "unhealthy?" Hmmm, where have I heard that one before?

So my response to this was to begin the Kimkins diet for myself in early June. If I wanted to see with my own eyes what this diet could do, then why not try it? That's exactly what I did.

The results have been PHENOMENAL for me:

- 13 pounds LOST in the first four days!
- 18 pounds LOST in the first week!
- 25 pounds LOST in the first three weeks!
- And after 32 days, I've lost 30 of my 50-pound weight loss goal!

To say that I'm impressed with this is an understatement. I knew it was an incredible diet, but I had no idea it would work this well. And I'm not the only one whose life is changing for the better.

But there are real concerns on two levels about Kimkins. The first level is about Kimmer herself and the second level is on various aspects of the Kimkins diet.

I acknowledge that people have lots of questions they would like to ask Kimmer, so I decided to contact her about doing a recorded interview with her for my "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Show" podcast. Last year I conducted a written interview via e-mail from her and it was wonderful.

Would she agree to do the podcast? I didn't really know, so I e-mailed her my cell phone number yesterday and asked her to call me. Within 30 minutes, my phone rang and it was Kimmer. We spoke for 45 minutes and I shared with her the concerns that are floating around out there within the low-carb community about her and her diet.

In the end, she agreed to be interviewed. I asked about doing one in person with her at her home or she could fly to meet me somewhere, but she has her personal reasons for not getting out in public to do something like this. I respect her privacy and have arranged another way.

While the previous interview was done through e-mail, this will be the first time we will hear the voice of Kimmer via the telephone which I will record for a future episode of my podcast show very soon.

So here's the deal: I'd like to give you the opportunity to provide me with the questions you want me to ask Kimmer in my interview. The floor is completely YOURS!

No question is off limits, so let's hear 'em all! Tell everyone who has questions to e-mail me at livinlowcarbman~charter.net with what they want Kimmer to answer. She says she's ready for them so they can all be put to rest once and for all.

Spread the word to the low-carb message boards and forums--an exclusive Kimmer interview featuring for the very first time ever her speaking directly about the issues that concern you most is imminent! Please send me your questions no later than Friday, July 13, 2007. THANKS!
Labels: controversy, diet, interview, Kimkins, Kimmer, podcast, weight loss

posted by Jimmy Moore at 7/06/2007 06:18:00 PM 3 Comments
  #161   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 22:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Jimmy Moore is making money everytime someone clicks his link. He is also making money everytime someone clicks the link to Kimmer from his site.

As for why she won't do a live interview? Would you think that maybe she is a fraud? Could she be larger than her before photo? Could she be unable to walk because her extreme diet plan has caused her body to use its muscle as food? Could she be a man disguising himself as Kimmer?

This is why everyone wants to see her in person. It's just quite ovbious that the photos she's posted as her before and after are fake.

Do you also realize that her name is really Heidi Diez not Kimberly Drake as she said in Woman's World Magazine?

There are so many questions relating to Kimmer that just don't measure up.

Personally, I feel she is a fraud and her diet is so limited that people will suffer long term effects from it. I read one man's question concerning the fact that he has severe back pain and is throwing up blood. He weighs over 450 lbs and was only eating 300 calories a day on the Kimmer plan.

This entire thing needs to be exposed!
  #162   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 22:22

BF:
Progress:

I edited the first post to take out the link. The article is sufficient on its own.
  #163   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 22:30

BF:
Progress:

I just don't understand how her merely lending her voice is going to increase her credibility.

*shrugs*

Another script, questions screened interview...
  #164   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 07:57

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
T....huh? Atkins OWL phase does this!! as does the SBD... as does PP, and all the other reasonable plans out there.

well, the problem is, these plans do NOT do this for most people. Not even for Dr . A himself, which you can see if you follow pictures of him thoughout his life.
  #165   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 08:12
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfreddy
well, the problem is, these plans do NOT do this for most people. Not even for Dr . A himself, which you can see if you follow pictures of him thoughout his life.

Dr. Atkins himself is an "n of 1" and while he wasn't an optimal BMI as per the calculators, for his age, he was within "normal healthy weight" as definied by the CDC and NIH for older people -- few understand the BMI ranges change with age, and once someone reaches 65, the limit on "normal" does increase for "seniors" because it is natural to be heavier as one gets older - in fact, data shows it is healthier to be a bit heavier when you're older....not obese, but heavier....a BMI up to 28 is "normal" for those over 65.....32 and higher (I think it's 32) is then obese. At 195 and 6' tall, the man was not obese - his BMI was a healthy 26.4 based on his age.

That aside - I've found the reason why many don't get the results desired as they progress through OWL, PM and Maintenance is because the way the books tell you do move along are vague and not very detailed - the plan is extremely detailed for Induction, but then misses on the other phases IMO (years ago I wrote extensively about this problem and it remains pretty much unresolved by ANA).

In my experience, if you really look through the rules of induction and extend them out to understand what they are trying to teach a person, then you "get" the long-term aspects of the start of the diet...it's all in there and they all connect with each other and the long-term.....gosh, I think I have a blog post to write!