Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-12, 08:35
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Basically you guys are calling him a liar.

What difference does it make where the hell he gets his carbs? He's still in nutritional ketosis and still losing weight. He'd only be in denial if he WEREN'T losing weight.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-12, 08:42
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawNut
It sounds like you are adding fat to reach the 80 - 85%. You should be lowering protein/carbs first, then eat as much fat as you need to fill you up. You'll most likely end up eating fewer calories that way.

Not necessarily. I find protein far more satiating than fat. I can eat 2000 calories easily on high fat, low protein... in fact, I've been living that reality lately and I'm trying to turn it around as I've gained 6 pounds really fast.

When I concentrate on getting protein first, my appetite is much less.

And, like I said before, the Phinney/Volek recommendations are not low protein. For a woman who desires to get to 150 pounds they'd recommend around 100g of protein, MINIMUM. Compare that to recommendations in Atkins of .8g which is almost half that.

Not everyone is the same. Some find fat super satiating, some find protein is. I think we can all agree that carbs sure aren't!

I think Jimmy has come a long way with this change. He has noted how much healthier he is eating now. I'd give him a break on the chocolate. I've been a little tempted myself.
  #153   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-12, 08:59
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawNut
Basically you guys are calling him a liar.

What difference does it make where the hell he gets his carbs? He's still in nutritional ketosis and still losing weight. He'd only be in denial if he WEREN'T losing weight.

Who said he was lying? Denial isn't lying. By denial, I think he has food addiction issues. He seems to be currently keeping them in check with his regime, so that's good for now, but it may need to be addressed at some point.

Lee
  #154   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-12, 09:10

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
Who said he was lying? Denial isn't lying. By denial, I think he has food addiction issues. He seems to be currently keeping them in check with his regime, so that's good for now, but it may need to be addressed at some point.

I think Jimmy is carrying burdens unrelated to his weight. I can't forget that his younger brother, who had seen in person how Jimmy had improved his health with a low carb regimen, could not give up his carbs despite all pleading and died from a heart condition just a couple of years ago.

So we have a familial connection and demonstrated carb addiction. For some people, this is a monster that requires repeated slaying. If nothing else, Jimmy keeps trying. This truly is a journey for him, and I don't think it makes sense to belittle him for not slaying it yet.
  #155   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-12, 09:19
Lipivore

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC

Not everyone is the same. Some find fat super satiating, some find protein is. I think we can all agree that carbs sure aren't!

I figured the nutritional ketosis would blunt the hunger in the first place. I guess not.

Protein satiates me but I can't overeat on fat either or I'll start to feel sick to my stomach. I sure can eat enough spaghetti to feed a family of four in one sitting though!!
  #156   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-12, 09:31
NEVER GIVING UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I think Jimmy is carrying burdens unrelated to his weight. I can't forget that his younger brother, who had seen in person how Jimmy had improved his health with a low carb regimen, could not give up his carbs despite all pleading and died from a heart condition just a couple of years ago.

So we have a familial connection and demonstrated carb addiction. For some people, this is a monster that requires repeated slaying. If nothing else, Jimmy keeps trying. This truly is a journey for him, and I don't think it makes sense to belittle him for not slaying it yet.

Not belittling anyone - I haven't slayed my own food demons yet, so I'm hardly going to diss anyone else for not managing it - I suspect for people like me and Jimmy, its a lifelong battle. And I applaud him for continuing to try. I just get the sense, that with each thing that he thinks it 'the' thing he may not be facing some basic issues. But what do I know, I don't know the guy.

Lee
  #157   ^
Old Sat, Sep-15-12, 05:50

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Not belittling anyone - I haven't slayed my own food demons yet, so I'm hardly going to diss anyone else for not managing it - I suspect for people like me and Jimmy, its a lifelong battle. And I applaud him for continuing to try. I just get the sense, that with each thing that he thinks it 'the' thing he may not be facing some basic issues. But what do I know, I don't know the guy.

Lee

I didn't mean to single anyone out over the "belittling" comment; just referencing the fact that I know a constant source of criticism is that he's such a low carb advocate, yet is still overweight. Yet without low carb, he would be in far worse shape than he is now.

I agree with you that he is not facing some basic issues; I don't believe he writes much, if at all, about emotional issues. The kinds of things women are more attuned to, like "eating your feelings," is SOOOOO not the kinds of things a white Christian Southern guy cares to entertain.
  #158   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-12, 09:32

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Not necessarily. I find protein far more satiating than fat. I can eat 2000 calories easily on high fat, low protein... in fact, I've been living that reality lately and I'm trying to turn it around as I've gained 6 pounds really fast.
I had the same issue with the Kwasniewski diet - which was quite low protein and about 80% fat. It actually did good things for me - I lost weight, my fasting blood sugar dropped dramatically. But with a limit of 66g of protein daily I was *hungry all the time* even when I was pushing 3000 calories a day! I was shoveling in the fat but it just didn't satiate me at all the way protein does.

But when I eat lots of protein and less fat my blood sugar goes through the roof, even if I'm eating fewer total calories and am more satiated. So I think that lower protein and higher fat did good things for me, but I just hated being hungry most of the time. I just couldn't sustain it.

I guess that's why I'm still searching for something that works for me *and* which keeps me satisfied, and live with. Alas I still haven't found the magic bullet.
  #159   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-12, 09:37

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I didn't mean to single anyone out over the "belittling" comment; just referencing the fact that I know a constant source of criticism is that he's such a low carb advocate, yet is still overweight. Yet without low carb, he would be in far worse shape than he is now.
Well heck, that can be said about a lot of people right here on these forums! I would guess that a higher percentage of us here are still overweight, even some of us who have been here for years, than are at goal or at normal weight. And aren't we low carb advocates too? I've been very overweight for 30 years. I just don't think my body handles things the way a "normal" person's does. If only people who had achieved normal weight, starting from a HIGH starting weight, were allowed to be advocates for a low carb diet, I suspect there would be few advocates left around!
  #160   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-12, 10:37
NEVER GIVING UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Well heck, that can be said about a lot of people right here on these forums! I would guess that a higher percentage of us here are still overweight, even some of us who have been here for years, than are at goal or at normal weight. And aren't we low carb advocates too? I've been very overweight for 30 years. I just don't think my body handles things the way a "normal" person's does. If only people who had achieved normal weight, starting from a HIGH starting weight, were allowed to be advocates for a low carb diet, I suspect there would be few advocates left around!

Yes, I'd much rather hear from people who have battled with their weight (and not those who lose 10lbs to be size0 and then write a diet book!), regardless of whether or not they reached goal, they have the most experience.

Lee
  #161   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-12, 10:46

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Yes, I'd much rather hear from people who have battled with their weight (and not those who lose 10lbs to be size0 and then write a diet book!), regardless of whether or not they reached goal, they have the most experience.

Lee

I agree. Moreover, the people who have been struggling with this for years while being low carb obviously have very damaged metabolisms like mine. People who lost the weight quickly, or didn't have much to lose to begin with, simply don't face the same challenge.
  #162   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-12, 11:19
NEVER GIVING UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
I agree. Moreover, the people who have been struggling with this for years while being low carb obviously have very damaged metabolisms like mine. People who lost the weight quickly, or didn't have much to lose to begin with, simply don't face the same challenge.

Totally - slimmer people and obese people are a world apart, metabolically.

Lee
  #163   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-12, 12:03

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I too get tired of the idea that if you're still fat you have nothing to say about how to lose weight. And if you're thin - especially if you've lost weight - you must be an expert. But I suppose if I'd succeeded in getting to a normal weight, I'd probably be thinking those other folks just aren't trying hard enough or they're doing it wrong or something. Our failures keep us humble.

I also agree that low carb may not have made me thin, but it's made me thinner - and probably saved my health.
  #164   ^
Old Sat, Sep-22-12, 09:44

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Jimmy Moore writes about Nutritional Ketosis in this article at CarbSmart, and in the comment section which follows it. CarbSmart is now an on-line magazine for low carb news; no longer an on-line store.
http://www.carbsmart.com/aint-that-...ing-atkins.html

Quote:
Ain’t That Nutritional Ketosis Thing Just Another Way Of Saying Atkins?
  #165   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-12, 07:02
Lipivore

BF: