Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-15, 12:26
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 134/130/110 Female 4'11
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default How do you deal to your friends or families that saying LCHF is a wrong diet?

How do you deal to your friends or families that saying LCHF is a wrong diet? And then they said about their blood pressure, sugar, etc.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-15, 12:35

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi Flip!

I haven't had anyone say anything yet... except nice things like "you look great" etc. BUT! No one has actually ASKED me what I am doing or not doing, and i imagine, despite looking and feeling OBVIOUSLY better and healthier, that me explaining "I eat butter and whip cream and bacon everyday" would likely cause great alarm! from my uninformed, well-meaning friends and fam.

SO, when I am asked, I will say simply, "I don't eat SUGAR or GRAINS anymore" ...somehow THAT description is "easier to swallow" than the other way to say it.

Also, I am SUPER PUMPED to go to the doctor for my annual exam in the spring. I want copies of all my blood work numbers, BP, etc etc... and if any "know it all" (who actually knows NOTHING) challenges or baselessly criticizes what I am eating/not eating... I will have my awesome new numbers memorized and I will share them and say, "Can't argue with hard evidence!"

Best,
Jammie
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-15, 12:39

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I can't remember the last time that anyone suggested to me that this is an unhealthy way to eat. My doctor first suggested it to me (in 2003) since I have eaten LC my weight has dropped ~25 lbs. My blood pressure, cholesterol and blood glucose have also dropped back into normal to ideal levels. Except for HDL, the "good" cholesterol, which has gone UP from 60 to 96 at last count.

Anyone who says this is unhealthful 1) has probably never tried it or if they have, they have not done it properly and 2) is ignoring the science.

What's more important to you? What others think or how you feel?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-15, 12:51
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 134/130/110 Female 4'11
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamackarch
Hi Flip!

I haven't had anyone say anything yet... except nice things like "you look great" etc. BUT! No one has actually ASKED me what I am doing or not doing, and i imagine, despite looking and feeling OBVIOUSLY better and healthier, that me explaining "I eat butter and whip cream and bacon everyday" would likely cause great alarm! from my uninformed, well-meaning friends and fam.

SO, when I am asked, I will say simply, "I don't eat SUGAR or GRAINS anymore" ...somehow THAT description is "easier to swallow" than the other way to say it.

Also, I am SUPER PUMPED to go to the doctor for my annual exam in the spring. I want copies of all my blood work numbers, BP, etc etc... and if any "know it all" (who actually knows NOTHING) challenges or baselessly criticizes what I am eating/not eating... I will have my awesome new numbers memorized and I will share them and say, "Can't argue with hard evidence!"

Best,
Jammie

Thanks for the tip. I will remember that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
I can't remember the last time that anyone suggested to me that this is an unhealthy way to eat. My doctor first suggested it to me (in 2003) since I have eaten LC my weight has dropped ~25 lbs. My blood pressure, cholesterol and blood glucose have also dropped back into normal to ideal levels. Except for HDL, the "good" cholesterol, which has gone UP from 60 to 96 at last count.

Anyone who says this is unhealthful 1) has probably never tried it or if they have, they have not done it properly and 2) is ignoring the science.

What's more important to you? What others think or how you feel?

I am sure about this diet. I read books, articles, and active here. I ask a lot of questions. Sometimes I don't want to ask because it seems so embarrassing but I know I need some guide about this new lifestyle. I think I am in LCHF for two weeks. I am not sure about it. I forgot the first day. For just that length of time. I lost 1 kilo. My goal is 50 kilos. I am 60 kilos right now. I hope before first week of April. I lost 8 kilos.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-15, 14:25

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamackarch
I want copies of all my blood work numbers, BP, etc etc... and if any "know it all" (who actually knows NOTHING) challenges or baselessly criticizes what I am eating/not eating... I will have my awesome new numbers memorized and I will share them and say, "Can't argue with hard evidence!"

Best,
Jammie

I did this myself, kept hard copies of all my bloodwork to show everyone, and people didn't understand any of the numbers. They just go by what their doctors tell them. I was shocked that people arn't sufficiently motivated to know what those numbers mean and arn't more pro-active with their health.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-15, 16:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178.7/168.2/154 Male 167cm
BF:
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellistile
I did this myself, kept hard copies of all my bloodwork to show everyone, and people didn't understand any of the numbers. They just go by what their doctors tell them. I was shocked that people arn't sufficiently motivated to know what those numbers mean and arn't more pro-active with their health.

It is amazing that the vast majority of people are casual about their health from a nutritional and dietary point of view. I think that there is just so much contratictory 'advice' in the media that people are kind of numbed into lack of any kind of commitment to finding out about good nutritional principles. So when you can discuss your WOE from an educated point of view, backed up with objective medical test results, people will often take notice.

I have friends at work who are being converted to LCHF because 1) I have the results to show for it. 2) I know what I am talking about re the reasons for the success I am experiencing. 3) I bring fantastic foods to work for lunch and share LC recipes that show them that eating LC is not 'wierd'.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-15, 17:07

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

I explain to them I've read many books and articles about nutrition. And I've experimented to find what works for me. I tell the, about my experience following the low calorie and low fat advice wherein I gained weight despite eating 1,500 calories per day and exercising for an hour 3-4 times per week. I tell the. My blood work and health are perfect following LCHF. I tell them my moods are more balanced on LCHF. And now, having had an echocardiogram while in the hospital for back surgery, I can tell them my heart is normal despite following LCHF for years.

Also, it's nobody's business what I eat. I expect my friends and family to be supportive. If they can't be, I just don't talk about it. If that doesn't work with your friends and family, I suggest sticking with "I eat sugar-free, gluten-free, and avoid foods that convert quickly to glucose in the body."
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-15, 20:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You don't really have to discuss it if you don't want to. After a while they give up.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-15, 20:55

Plan: LC HF MP IF
Stats: 565/386/282.5 Male 73
BF:no/thank/you
Progress: 63%

I just tell them I have type 7 ketosis rage disorder and that the only way to stave off type 6 is by eating low carb. Then I blink my left eye several times, twitch, sniff the air and ask if they have any meat on them. No one brings it up again.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-15, 22:06

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1791klm
I just tell them I have type 7 ketosis rage disorder and that the only way to stave off type 6 is by eating low carb. Then I blink my left eye several times, twitch, sniff the air and ask if they have any meat on them. No one brings it up again.

Best answer so far.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-15, 06:32
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Quote:

Best answer so far.

It took a moment to stop laughing it was that awesome
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-15, 06:43
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Hey Flippish! I usually don't have to discuss it... my doctor is "all in" and loves how well I've done and my medical tests/blood works speak for themselves.

The odd occasion when I am confronted, depending on who it is, I'll say that I have a lot of food allergies. Since "food allergies" seems to be all the rage nowadays and that ends the questions. Is it lying? No, cause I'm allergic to carbs ~ they make me FAT.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-15, 06:44
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
You don't really have to discuss it if you don't want to. After a while they give up.
Good answer, Nancy!!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-15, 06:45
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Holy Hannah, I thought I was gonna keel over from laughing so hard... that's a wonderful ANSWER! Need to remember than when someone confronts me... Thanks for the chuckles!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-15, 06:47

Plan: You tell me...
Stats: 224/209/140 Female 5,4
BF:yes. it is.
Progress: 18%

Ah yes 1791klm - the best answer so far I agree!

and seriously with nancy lc too, Flippish - you don't need to justify yourself or ask anyones permission. Sadly the people i do find who want to discuss it have already clocked what i'm eating, worked it out, and want to listen to themselves telling me their opinion. Its extremely irritating and drives me nuts - I just have to remember its their monkey and hand it back to them & ignore it - if whatever they are pushing works for them fab - it doesn't work for me and I know that low carb does work for me.

every now and then you might find someone genuinely interested and you can have a normal conversation with them - that sounds refreshing.... ah yes- thats why i come here to play!