Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 12:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: ???/???/???
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Surgery

After much soul-searching and four years of extensive, exhaustive research, I've decided to go ahead with the gastric bypass surgery. I've talked to dozens of people who've had it, only a few of whom wish they hadn't.

Because of this, sticking to a sugar-free, low-to-moderate fat intake diet will be more important than ever, post-op. So I'm taking a little bit of a break from writing my food journal and posting here, so I can concentrate on getting all my surgical ducks in a row and my life in order. After that, I'll be here lots, bugging everyone (especially everyone here who eats low fat) about what they eat and how they fix it. Sugar and fat can be very unpleasant for someone who's had the surgery.

I can say after everything I've learned that this path is not for everyone, but I think it's right for me, and I'm counting on you guys for support. It's not a decision made lightly, but it has been made. As such, I'd be grateful that if you don't have anything supportive, non-judgemental or kind to say, you kept it to yourself. I guarantee you -- if you've got one horror story, I've got five more, so you can't shock or frighten me anymore than I've already been shocked or frightened.

Thanks, guys. I'll keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 12:14

Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%

Good luck with your decision. No one likes the idea of surgery, so I'm sure it was a very difficult decision. I only know one person who has had the gastric bypass -- that was over 30 years ago and she is doing just fine. Keep us posted as to how you are doing.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 12:14

BF:
Default Oh, look...

That last post was my one hundredth post here.

Oh, mischevious irony....

#4   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 15:58

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I wish you luck with the road you've decided to travel. Keep us posted on how you're doing!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 16:52

BF:
Default Thanks, you guys.

It isn't an easy decision. And it's only the first step in a very long journey. There's a lot of misinformation out there about this procedure (some of it here on this very forum). Getting the support one needs is very difficult, even from your own family. Of course, there's a whole 'nuther issue that I'm sure many people who've been successful at lo-carbing have discovered -- resistance to change by your loved ones.

I consult with my family doctor on Tuesday. Hopefully, I won't have to throw him to the ground and give him Indian burns until he agrees to give me a referral (I must outweigh him by a good twenty pounds).

#6   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 16:54

Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I also wish you luck. This is a scary thing to do, but only you can decide if it's right for you. Keep us posted. You know we will all be praying for you.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 17:59

Stats: 170/166/130 Female 5' 3.5"
BF:
Progress: 10%
Smile

Good luck! Hope everything works out well for you. Please let us know.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 11:08

Plan: Eat Food
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default By-Pass

Hi Amanda, I was going to actually post a thread out here today to find out if anyone has considered this surgery. Especially, since they have the new arthoscopic surgery which isn't as evasive. Is that the one you're going to have?

I have a dear friend who had this done about 5 years ago and I just saw her the other day and she still looks and feels great!

Now they are finding that the hormone Grehmin may be reduced from the stomach being reduced. The are finding that this hormone may be responsible for triggering hunger symptoms. They are also thinking that this hormone is what makes people regain, and why most people who have had the surgery don't regain. Just saw it this morning on Good Morning America.

Please let us know how everything goes for you. I have thought about it myself, since my friend has done so well. Maybe with all the latest research they'll actually develop something that reduces grehmin without having to go through surgery.

Good luck, dear!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 13:44

BF:
Default Interesting...

I missed that on GMA this morning. I was reading an article on follow-up studies of post-surgical patients and the news on weight regain is very encouraging, though many patients who've had the surgery report that within one to two years, they can eat what would be considered normal amounts of food, including foods containing fat and sugar (big no-nos post-op), and somewhere around 85% have managed to stay within 10 - 15 pounds of their final post-op weight.

This may be the reason why. One could argue that the other 15% are eating for non-physical reasons (emotional eating) or have other metabolic problems that override the benefits of the surgery.

We'll have to keep our eyes peeled, because this could be the next step to successfully battling morbid obesity non-surgically.

#10   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 16:40

BF:
Default Had to find out more about this.

http://more.abcnews.go.com/sections/living/dailynews/hunger_hormone020523.html

Above is the link to the GMA website's article on this fascinating piece. It's all just in the hypothetical stages so far, but what a breakthrough it could be down the line toward a non-surgical intervention for those with more than 100 pounds to lose.

#11   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 16:41

BF:

#12   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 16:43

BF:
Default Can't make the link work

Anyway, go to a search engine, type "good morning america", go to their site and in their internal search engine, type "gastric", and the article will pop up.

#13   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 18:10

Plan: Home grown based on Protein Power
Stats: 194/174/174
BF:
Progress: 100%

#14   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 19:41

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

In case you go searching, this is the accurate name of the hormone: ghrelin

Nice to know it NEVER was lack of will power, isn't it?
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-27-02, 13:41

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%