Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-01, 21:30
Registered Member

Plan: Type 2 Diabetes/Protein Power/Self-Designed Program
Stats: 240/180/140
BF:
Progress:
Smile

Okay, now what? I've been on a low carb diet for twelve weeks, have lost forty
pounds and feel great. Does anyone know if there is a factual connection between
blood type and insulin resistance? I'm curious after reading a brief article on the
subject. This is my first time on this so I am not certain of the usual questions, etc.
found here.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-01, 21:42
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Wow, 40 lbs in under 3 months! This is awsome. Congrats!

I don't know about blood types, hopefully someone who knows will jump in

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-01, 13:17
Registered Member

Plan: Type 2 Diabetes/Protein Power/Self-Designed Program
Stats: 240/180/140
BF:
Progress:

I was amazed each week when I went to the clinic to weigh in and saw that the pounds were just falling away. The last two weeks things have slowed down a bit, but I still feel good about the low carb eating I'm engaged in. My family has their doubts and sometimes laugh at my dinner plate, but I really have a desire to live to be a hundred plus like my fathers family and not perish before I'm eighty of heart disease like my mothers. I'm doing this for my life. I think the first thing I noticed was the loss of water retention and then came a mellow sort of feeling that helped me concentrate at work. Dead lines, answers to design techniques seemed to just flow from my mind to my mouth in a really organized manner. For the past five years I now see that I was fighting depression, self-esteem problems, and a lot of fatique over trying to eat a healthy low fat, high carb diet. I never lost a pound or an inch and I was irritable to boot. My boss was the first to notice my alertness. I feel like I'm twenty again and not 45. Thank you, for your response and I'm sorry that I went on as I did. I just don't get too many people to talk to about this as they don't understand or care to. It feels good to see my thoughts and feelings in other peoples words as in these forum's. I still have 60 lbs to go to where I will stabilize my health, but then I believe that this is a life long commitment. I never heard of the Atkins diet until the last year. I follow another source of information that has really benefited me and kept my hopes up. It's a book by Calvin Ezrin and Robert E. Kowalski called "The Type 2 Diabetes Diet Book, Insulin Control Diet." For anybody with type 2 this is a really good resource. Thanks again and don't worry I don't always talk (type) this much.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-01, 22:37

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 244/224/130 Female 5' 3" (should be 6'3")LOL
BF:
Progress: 18%

I can't believe how good I feel. I have been on the diet for only 4 days and I can feel a hugh difference already. My leg swelling and pain have subsided and I have lost the bloat. I can actually breath better, go figure?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-01, 07:43

Plan:
Stats: 286/254/148
BF:
Progress:

Kat

Never heard of insulin resistance and blood type but I've just developed type II at the tender age of 39 and I'm an O+ if that ties into anything!!!

Nicola
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-01, 10:04
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Eat Right for Your Type

There is a book called Eat Right for Your Type that goes into the differences between blood types. As I recall, type O's are the natural meat eaters, but I can't remember what it said about insulin resistance.

Here is the link to the website:

http://www.dadamo.com/

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-01, 17:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Welcome Kat,

I don't know anything about blood types either but it sure sounds like your doing well .....40 lbs in 12 weeks!!! HOLY you know what! LOL

Doreen is the expert here, you'll love her. Bet she will be around soon to chat with you. Keep up the good work

Wendy
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-01, 19:44

Plan:
Stats: 250/240/170
BF:
Progress:

Welcome,

Great job, losing 40 lbs in 12 weeks, way to go. Just started this forum, and already feeling comfortable, hope you do as well.

Di
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-01, 22:01
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default eat right 4 your type

There's a somewhat useful review of the book at About.com, Click here to read it. If you scroll down the page, there are links (in the pink box) where you can click on your blood type for 5 pages of food lists. Foods are listed as beneficial, neutral or avoid. Interesting, but ...

I'm a type A (go figure), and according to this, I'm supposed to be strict vegetarian, maybe some fish. Hmmm .... been there, done that, am now allergic or at least sensitive to most grains.

For Karen's type O, indeed it's the hunter-gatherer type, except no pork, bacon or ham, and NO DAIRY! is beneficial, maybe butter and some goat cheeses. Oh, and no caviar either, or berries or melons ..

Type B can eat anything, and type AB is an amalgam of types A and B.

I haven't read the book myself, so can't comment on the insulin-resistance link. Perhaps it has to do with the Type O's, who have the hunter-gatherer type? Blood type O is most common, approx. 45% of the North American population. Type A is second, around 40%, type B third at 4%, and type AB is only 1%. It's kind of hard to imagine that type A's should all be high-carb eating vegetarians, because we know that high-carb, lowfat and lowmeat diets fail 95% of the time in the population as a whole.

Oh well, the food lists are interesting, do check them out...

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-01-01, 09:04

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default Type AB....

I'm supposed to avoid beef, chicken, and pork. However, rabbit and pheasant are OK. I guess walking four hours to get to a place that sells this exotica is good for me!

Rachel
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-01-01, 09:12

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

I went and checked these pages out and at the risk of being blunt - does anybody else see a scientific implausability here? I mean pu-leeze....
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-01-01, 09:24
Forum Founder

BF:
Talking thankyou Nicola

As an RN, with background in biochemistry and nutrition ... I tend to agree with you. But, I thought best to just present the item for folks to decide for themselves (says I, who normally slams quackery with a baseball bat). Indeed, Dr. D'Adamo , the creator of Eat Right 4 Your Type has a small and loyal following, but his program has NOT stood the test of true scientific study.

Oh well, as I said, it makes interesting reading...

Doreen
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-01-01, 09:33

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Apologies Doreen, I didnt mean to imply any criticism of you and I think you have probably given us all an interesting evening?? reading up on this stuff. Its just one of those truly amazing diets that even more amazingly, as you've said, attracts a loyal following.

There you go, Rache - your route out of your catless home and student loan. The Olde English diet - there's got to be money in it!!

Nicola
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-01-01, 09:43
Forum Founder

BF:
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by nrussell
Apologies Doreen, I didnt mean to imply any criticism of you Nicola
No criticism taken my dear! I was agreeing with you, and relieved that someone actually stated what I was thinking all along! LOL ... that'll teach me for not saying what I really think! OK, for the record, I think this blood-type diet is a crock!

Kudos to you! Doreen
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-01-01, 19:32

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hey, Nicola - how'd you know I was a medievalist? I did my doctoral dissertation on Old English poetic metre. Maybe there's something to this blood type stuff after all!

Rachel

There you go, Rache - your route out of your catless home and student loan. The Olde English diet - there's got to be money in it!!