Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-11, 10:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Dairy's influence on insulin

This was very interesting. It shows a graph of insulin release, comparing it to:
Quote:
Mean (±SEM) incremental changes (Δ) in serum insulin in response to equal amounts of carbohydrate from a white-wheat-bread reference meal (x) and test meals of whey (○), milk (♦), cheese (▵), cod (□), gluten-low (▴), and gluten-high (▾) meals.

Here's a bigger version of the chart, a little easier to see than the one in the article:

Last edited by Rosebud : Mon, Jul-30-12 at 22:03. Reason: To fix broken link
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-11, 11:33

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

It's hard to make any conclusions without knowing how much glucagon was released by the pancreas.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-11, 11:44

Plan: General LC (was Atkins)
Stats: 168/145.8/155 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:32%/24%/?
Progress: 171%

It's kind of weird, though. Unless I'm reading it incorrectly, to get whey powder to have 25g of carbs for comparison against other foods,

Quote:
"If the intrinsic lactose content was lower than 25 g per serving, lactose (Lactose 17296-500; Merck Eurolab, Stockholm) was added. "

So I can't really tell what this means for a person like me that has 1g of whey carbs when I make a smoothie.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-11, 13:16

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

More motivation for me to keep (trying) to kick excess dairy. At least cheese has the least response for dairy, according to the article.

Last edited by Ilikemice : Mon, Mar-14-11 at 13:22.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-11, 13:48

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Mm, something to think about. Thanks for posting this.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-11, 14:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Right, if they were equalizing carbs then that would be a lot of whey. Protein does stimulate an insulin release too. Although the cod doesn't do anything like the whey.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Mar-14-11 at 14:59.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-11, 14:52

Plan: Nothing specific
Stats: 195/195/190 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Right, if they were equalizing carbs then that would be a lot of whey. Protein does stimulate an insulin release too.

If I remember correctly, I read a great article back in January about how protein stimulates an insulin response more-so than carbs.

I'll post it if you guys and gals would like.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-11, 15:32
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Right, if they were equalizing carbs then that would be a lot of whey. Protein does stimulate an insulin release too. Although the cod doesn't do anything like the whey.

It would take a lot of cod to reach 25 g of carbs!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-11, 16:52

Plan: General LC (was Atkins)
Stats: 168/145.8/155 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:32%/24%/?
Progress: 171%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynC
It would take a lot of cod to reach 25 g of carbs!

Yeah, they made up for it with lactose! Lactose 'n Cod, yummy!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-11, 17:36
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Smile

The important part of the study PDF (to me) was this paragraph:

'It can be concluded that food proteins differ in their capacity
to stimulate insulin release, possibly by affecting the early postprandial concentrations of insulinotropic amino acids and incretin hormones differently. It cannot be excluded that an elevated
plasma amino acid response is merely an indicator of the rapid
digestion and absorption of whey proteins.
The results of the current study show that milk proteins have
insulinotropic properties, with the whey fraction being a more
efficient insulin secretagogue than casein. It remains to be shown
whether the insulinotropic effect of whey and milk depends on an
optimal and rapid postprandial release of certain amino acids to
the blood, the release of a bioactive peptide, or an activation of
the incretin system, particularly by enhancing GIP secretion.
Also, the potential long-term effects of a noncarbohydrate–mediated insulin stimulus on metabolic variables should be evaluated in healthy persons and in persons with a diminished capacity
for insulin secretion.'

The study is about the proteins and their effects.

There are studies that look at various oils and their effects on insulin. There are all varieties of studies, that not only look at the effects but specifically those effects on postmenopausal women.. or type-2 diabetics... or non-diabetics.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-11, 20:15

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I have to wonder if this is a factor; serum insulin isn't just dependent on secretion, but also on clearance of insulin. Liver is a major clearer of insulin and of glucose. Whey protein tends to stimulate protein synthesis more strongly than caseine and other proteins; in the study below, intake of whey resulted in reduced liver clearance of glucose; maybe if protein synthesis is stimulated in muscle, muscle is stepping in and sucking in some other nutrients (glucose), and the liver steps out of the way to support this.

Quote:
The hypoglycemic effect of fat and protein is not attenuated by insulin resistance.
Lan-Pidhainy X, Wolever TM.

Department of Nutritional Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada.

Abstract
BACKGROUND: The glucose-lowering effect of fat and protein is attenuated or absent in diabetic patients, which suggests that the same may occur in insulin-resistant subjects without diabetes.

OBJECTIVE: The objective was to determine whether the postprandial metabolic responses elicited by fat and protein were influenced by the insulin sensitivity of the subjects and whether fat and protein modulate glucose responses through different mechanisms.

DESIGN: Healthy nondiabetic subjects aged 18-45 y took 50 g oral glucose with 0-30-g doses of canola oil and whey protein on 11 separate mornings after fasting overnight. The subjects were classified into 3 fasting serum insulin (FSI) groups: FSI < 40 pmol/L (n = 9), 40 < or = FSI < 70 pmol/L (n = 8), and FSI > or = 70 pmol/L (n = 8). The relative glycemic response was expressed as the incremental area under the curve (AUC) after each test meal divided by the mean AUC of the glucose control in each subject.

RESULTS: Protein significantly decreased glucose (P < 0.0001) and hepatic insulin extraction (P <0.0001) and increased insulin (P < 0.0001) and glucagon-like peptide 1 (P = 0.004); however, protein had no significant effect on C-peptide (P = 0.69) or on the insulin secretion rate (P = 0.13). No significant FSI x fat (P = 0.19) or FSI x protein (P = 0.08) interaction effects on glucose AUC were observed. In addition, the changes in relative glycemic response per gram of fat (r = -0.05, P = 0.82) or protein (r = -0.08, P = 0.70) were not related to FSI.

CONCLUSIONS: The hypoglycemic effect of fat and protein was not blunted by insulin resistance. Protein increased insulin but had no effect on C-peptide or the insulin secretion rate, which suggests decreased hepatic insulin extraction or increased C-peptide clearance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19923374

Dr Bernstein doesn't seem to worry much about dairy fat and protein's effects on blood glucose or insulin requirements on his very low carbohydrate program.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-11, 20:39
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Smile

If Bernstein's plan is very low-carb, then it ends up being low-calorie, which means that people lose weight on that plan, which means their insulin sensitivity improves. Which it will, no matter what the diet that causes weight loss.

Weight loss improves insulin sensitivity. (I know it's not as simple as that - aging brings insulin resistance even when the aging person is thin - but it's one more reason to just lose weight and not worry about fine-tuning so much...)
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-11, 23:13

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Low carb isn't necessarily low calorie. ?????
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-11, 02:47

Plan: Avoid PUFA, sugar & bread
Stats: 240/210/150 Female 156cm
BF:
Progress: 33%

What kind of milk do they use?

Quote:
Roller-dried skim milk powder (SMP) was obtained from Arla Foods (Stockholm). According to the manufacturer, 96 g powder added to 937 g water equaled the composition of the original milk; 550 g of the reconstituted milk was served.

First of all, skimmed, so no fat or hardly any.
I think we learned that fat is a significant factor when it comes down to insulin?

Then the cheese
Quote:
Cheese (Västan 5% fat; Ostkompaniet, Stockholm) was sliced into cubes and served with 250 mL lactose solution.

5% fat. Same question as above.

They will have to do better than this to get me converted
I am happy to have rediscovered full fat (if possible raw) milk and full fat, even extra cream (also if possible raw) cheese, and will be enjoying these as much as I can.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-11, 08:07

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
Low carb isn't necessarily low calorie. ?????

I'm a living example of that. For 15 years I gained my excess weight eating bird seeds and crackers of less than 1000 calories a day. Enter Atkins: double the calories, weight flew off.
Calories have nothing to do with it. Most people don't really know what a calorie is or how it is measured. Or they disregard the 2nd law of thermodynamics.

Nonsensical rubbish.