Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 09:58

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Can't explain the weight gain HELP!

I have been using Fitday religiously for three years. This year, after 2 years of low carb success, I have watched my weight go up by 6 lbs. At first I chalked it up to "the holidays," and I clamped down on the carbs in late January. Weight still went up. THen I got serious and went back to strict induction, even using Atkins '72 induction for a couple of weeks. My energy levels went through the floor, I got intractable insomnia, and my weight continued to climb. I returned to 40 net carbs per day and I began sleeping and exercising again, but the weight continued to climb each week. (For the record, it definitely isn't muscle mass--I am truly flabby and bloated.)

Yesterday, I spent hours going over my Fitday records and I find that I have been averaging EXACTLY the same number of calories and carbs these past 2-3 months as I did during my most successful periods of low carb weight loss. I effortlessly maintained my weight at 113-114 last year at exactly the same averages and macro percentages that I am using now.

I am truly stumped. I thought I had this whole thing figured out--now I don't know what to do or think. Any ideas? Any similar experience? Anyone?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 11:35

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

Have you started any medication recently? I started Zyrtec, which doesn't list weight gain as a side affect, a couple of months ago and gained almost 10 pounds. I stopped it a week ago and have lost 5 pounds since I stopped it.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 11:38
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

You are close to me in age....so this may very well be a factor for you. Have you hit official menopause yet?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 11:55

BF:

I had a simple hysterectomy in 1998 (healthy ovaries were left intact), so I have officially been in menopause for 10 years, although my hormones have probabaly been dropping slowly all that time. It occurred to me that I might have reached a tipping point hormonally this spring, but WOW, it has been sudden.

I am not on any medication at all. No HRT or statins or anything else.

I am only 5 feet tall, so I keep my calories at about 1300 per day. I am afraid to reduce them further because the extreme exhaustion and insomnia suggest to me that my metabolism is slowing down radically, and fewer cals will make it worse instead of better. On the other hand, I am also afraid to increase my calories much because, even with low insulin levels, I seem to be packing on the fat.

My sister (about the same size and a little older) has reduced her daily cal intake to about 900! I think she looks frail and old and she has osteopenia, but she is slim! She's happy with her weight, but . . .
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 12:01
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

I'm in menopause and I must have exercise to have a decent metabolism. I personally think cardio is more important for menopausal women than strength training. I don't know what you are doing for exercise, but some cardio might help.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 12:21

BF:

I have been alternating Pilates with resistance bands and HIIT on a stationary bike. I admit that when my energy cratered I stopped exercising--could hardly breath some days, much less work out!

I have started resuming the bike this week since I upped the carbs slightly and things may turn around, but no sign of it yet.

I tried free weights a few years ago but kept getting signs of nerve damage, so I gave up on that.

I am taking a multivitamin, plus extra B complex, C, D3, potassium, and magnesium.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-08, 07:31

BF:
Default helloooo?

Anybody? Anywhere? I was hoping someone in maintenance had researched or gone through this and could provide a little insight? No interest?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-08, 07:34

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Can you post some typical menus? (Though I suspect hormones too)
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-08, 08:01

BF:

Coffee with 1 oz. heavy cream

breakfast: beef patty with 2 cups of spinach (wilted into the hot fat)

snack: 4 oz. fage yogurt (usually full fat with 17 grams of protein)

lunch: 4 oz tuna with 2 T olive oil and 2 cups dark mixed greens

snack: 1 oz macadamia nuts

dinner: 1 cup steamed broccoli with 1 oz walnuts and 1 T walnut oil
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-08, 08:12
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson
Coffee with 1 oz. heavy cream

breakfast: beef patty with 2 cups of spinach (wilted into the hot fat)

snack: 4 oz. fage yogurt (usually full fat with 17 grams of protein)

lunch: 4 oz tuna with 2 T olive oil and 2 cups dark mixed greens

snack: 1 oz macadamia nuts

dinner: 1 cup steamed broccoli with 1 oz walnuts and 1 T walnut oil

IMO, women do better with a little higher carb level over the long term. I have no scientific data on this, its just based on my own experience. I'd be looking to add in some fruit/berries and some starchy veggie, as in a sweet potato.

I'd do this very slowly as your body has to adapt to having these in your diet. I'd add fruit only at first, 1 serving a day for a week and see how your body does. Second week is when I add in a starchy veggie a couple of days a week.

Do you eat the same way every day for 2 years? To me, your menu looks very sparse.

HTH!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-08, 08:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
IMO, women do better with a little higher carb level over the long term. I have no scientific data on this, its just based on my own experience. I'd be looking to add in some fruit/berries and some starchy veggie, as in a sweet potato.

I'd do this very slowly as your body has to adapt to having these in your diet. I'd add fruit only at first, 1 serving a day for a week and see how your body does. Second week is when I add in a starchy veggie a couple of days a week.

Do you eat the same way every day for 2 years? To me, your menu looks very sparse.

HTH!

Seems pretty sparse to me, too, sometimes But I eat two out of three meals and all my snacks at my desk during the week, so tuna, nuts, etc., just works. (I can't understand how people manage those elaborate diets with all the steamed fish and vegetables and sauces, etc., during the week. Who has time for all the shopping and chopping? ) I do expand my selections signifcantly on the weekend. I even attempt some gourmet cooking for my husband and I, but always avoiding the starches and sugars as much as possible.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-08, 08:54
Attitude is a Choice

I pre cook 2 lbs of chicken on my grill each week, so that I can always throw it into a fast salad. Many are SAHMs who have the time. I also always make extra on all that I do cook so that I have leftovers. I had a great omelet the other day wiith leftover sauteed spinach and mushrooms.

I also happen to think that there is a point where our adrenal system becomes stressed/fatigued when you keep your carbs so low for a very long time. That is why I suggest going towards OWL phase of Atkins and add in some good carbs.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-08, 09:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I also happen to think that there is a point where our adrenal system becomes stressed/fatigued when you keep your carbs so low for a very long time. That is why I suggest going towards OWL phase of Atkins and add in some good carbs.

That is exactly what I have been thinking: I have gone too low for too long and am starting to see stressed out adrenals. If you think my menu is restricted, you should see my sister's. She lives on lettuce and tuna for days at a time. She's not gaining any weight, but I can't say she looks healthy.

You do South Beach, don't you? I think I'll check that out. Since I have been keeping my carbs at <50 for so long, what "phase" of the South Beach would you suggest I start at? Or does SB avoid phases?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-08, 09:24

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

You might have developed a food sensitivity. When I replaced dairy with coconut milk, my metabolism went through the roof, even though calories are probably higher. Maybe you just need to switch it up a bit?

Janine
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-08, 09:26

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Not a bad idea Janine. A good quality coconut cream (plain of course) is just as tasty in coffee as heavy cream.