Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-07, 15:12

Plan: Zone diet
Stats: 220/190/180 Male 70 inch
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Where are you carbohydrates coming from in Atkins?

Many of Atkins protein bars have about 20g of carbohydrates with 0g sugar and 0g sugar alcohol. May I know where are the carbohydrates coming from? Many protein bars get their carbohydrates from either sugar or sugar alcohol.
I don't like sugar alcohol because they are know to cause gastric intestine stress which I've personally experience. But with so many products with sugar alcohol, I try to limit intake to 10g/day. I prefer sugar than sugar alcohol but too much sugar is not good either, I heard too much sugar may cause diabetes even if you're not overweight, is this right?
My carbohydrates consists mainly of sugar. I take 200g of sugar/day, is this too much even when I exercise everyday for an hour? I thought the exercising will burn the carbohydrates and I'm still losing the weight.
I eat mostly Zone Diet bars which by far the most delicious bar I've tasted but they have a lot of sugar, 20g per bar. I prefer protein bars made of soy nuggets than protein blend.

Last edited by rsuryase : Mon, Aug-27-07 at 15:21.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-07, 15:16

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

For me personally, my carbs come mostly from veggies and/or fruits. I stay faaaaarrrr away from the bars and sugar alcohols. I try to keep it "whole foods" as much as possible.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-07, 15:17

BF:

With me being a lousy cook and hectic lifestyle, ready to eat food is most convenient for me. It's either protein bars or healthy choice frozen meals.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-07, 15:22

Plan: Atkins (What Else??)
Stats: 245/143/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 102%

They state they contain 0 grams of sugar alcohol. The Chocolate Peanut Butter bar starts out with 22 total carbs...it contains 10 grams of fiber...this brings the total net carbs to 12...HOWEVER, the label states they are 2 net carbs Confused yet?? Glycerin is deducted and guess what glycerin is....Yup, its a SUGAR ALCOHOL!!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-07, 15:26

Plan: M&E / Atkins Induction
Stats: 210/210/140 Female 5' 4"
BF:too much
Progress: 0%

you don't have to be a great cook to do Atkins. Since your schedule is hectic and time is valuable, why don't you try to make some time, like Sunday evening to prepare a few things ahead of time and keep it in containers in your fridge. Like boil a dozen eggs, bake/grill/broil some chicken breasts and hamburger patties. Buy some frozen veggies, or even the fresh ones that they sell in the microwavable steam bags. There's lots of things on WOE that can be made ahead of time. But you just have to make some time for it.

and trust me... a real chicken breast and some frozen broccoli w/butter tastes a heck of a lot better than a healthy choice frozen meal ever could in my opinion.

the recipe section in the forum has some great, easy to make and delicous things you can make that don't require you to be a chef or spend hours in the kitchen.

Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-07, 15:43

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Below is a list of the ingredients of the chocolate peanut butter bar which is listed as 2 net carbs. Out of 22 total carbs, 10 of those are fiber. The remaining 10 are likely in the form of other types of carbs which are highlighted below in red. Glycerine is a type of sugar alcohol, polydextrose and maltodextrin are types of sugars, guar gum is indigestible fiber, dry roasted peanuts and peanut flour are contributing to the carb counts, cellulose is another type of pure fiber. Soy, milk and peanuts also contribute to the carb counts.
Is it really 2 net carbs? I suppose that depends on how efficient your particular body is at digesting some of these sugar alcohols.

INGREDIENTS: PROTEIN BLEND [SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, HYDROLYZED COLLAGEN, WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE (MILK), SODIUM CASEINATE], GLYCERINE, POLYDEXTROSE, DRY ROASTED PEANUT, PEANUT FLOUR, PALM KERNEL AND PALM OIL, CELLULOSE, COCONUT OIL, COCOA POWDER (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, OLIVE OIL, BUTTER OIL, SOY LECITHIN, MALTODEXTRIN, SALT, GUAR GUM, CITRIC ACID, SUCRALOSE, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM. NUTRITION BLEND: TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, CALCIUM CARBONATE, MAGNESIUM OXIDE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, ASCORBIC ACID, SODIUM ASCORBATE, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, CYANOCOBALAMIN, ALPHA TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, NIACINAMIDE, BIOTIN, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, ZINC OXIDE, FOLIC ACID, CHROMIUM CHELATE, PHYTONADIONE, SODIUM SELENITE. CONTAINS: SOY, MILK AND PEANUTS. THIS PRODUCT IS MANUFACTURED IN A FACILITY THAT USES PEANUTS, OTHER NUTS AND SEEDS.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-07, 21:42

Plan: Lean protein-veggies
Stats: 150/112.2/115 Female 162 cm
BF:
Progress: 108%

In my case my carbs come from veggies, peanuts, spleenda, cream and cheese!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-07, 22:56
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Personally I think 200g of sugar a day is WAY too much. I exercise for an hour+ a day and I dont come anywhere close to 200g a day. I usually have up to 35g carbs a day and those carbs come from veggies, yogurt, cheeses, limited fruit and nuts.

As far as soy goes, I tend to avoid it so I cannot suggest a good soy nugget bar but here is an interesting link about soy if you want to read about it. http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459516&cr=

Good luck!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-07, 23:07

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

My carbs come from (in NO particular order), Splenda, cheese, eggs (I eat enough eggs to have to count carbs), nuts, cream, vegetables, some fruits, and random condiments. Oh yeah, and random spices and seasonings.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-07, 23:40

BF:

I ate 5 of these Atkins bar and I have GI stress already, my intestine are bloated with gas. Must be a FDA loophole that Atkins can exclude some sugar alcohol from the nutrition fact.
As for soy being bad, it'll be a HUGE HEALTH STORY. Soy has a very good reputation as being a healthy food in the USA, it's usually found in the healthy/organic section in supermarkets. I'll keep eating soy until the media tells me not to.
As for Splenda, it thought it cannot be metabolize, so it should have 0 carbs. I've being try to find a protein bar with Splenda and no sugar alcohol but to no avail. Most protein bars either use sugar or sugar alcohol mix with Splenda.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-07, 05:56

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 168/128/115 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsuryase
I ate 5 of these Atkins bar and I have GI stress already, my intestine are bloated with gas.
Are you surprised by this?
Quote:
As for soy being bad, it'll be a HUGE HEALTH STORY. Soy has a very good reputation as being a healthy food in the USA, it's usually found in the healthy/organic section in supermarkets. I'll keep eating soy until the media tells me not to.
So you trust the media to take charge of your health? How about reading studies available online?
Quote:
As for Splenda, it thought it cannot be metabolize, so it should have 0 carbs.
Pure sucralose has 0 carbs. The type we buy at the store has maltodextrin added, which has carbs since it's a type of sugar. Pure liquid sucralose with no carby filler can be bought online at http://www.pureliquidsweetness.com and http://www.sweetzfree.com.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-07, 06:21

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

Does Healthy Choice even have low-carb meals? I know Smart Ones (affiliated with Weight Watchers) does.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-07, 07:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/133/120 Female 60 in
BF:52.4/35/22
Progress: 76%

Quote:
I ate 5 of these Atkins bar and I have GI stress already, my intestine are bloated with gas.

that's because of all the garbage in them. It's ultimately your choice how you want to do this diet, but there is no quick and easy way to lose weight. Most of us here have changed our way of eating for life, if you don't, you won't ultimately be successful, you will likely gain the weight back. Most people here believe in making healthy changes and that includes eating whole foods and cooking for yourself.

Man cannot live on Atkins brand frankenfoods alone!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-07, 07:32

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
I ate 5 of these Atkins bar and I have GI stress already, my intestine are bloated with gas. Must be a FDA loophole that Atkins can exclude some sugar alcohol from the nutrition fact.
As for Splenda, it thought it cannot be metabolize, so it should have 0 carbs. I've being try to find a protein bar with Splenda and no sugar alcohol but to no avail. Most protein bars either use sugar or sugar alcohol mix with Splenda.

This is definitely a YMMV thing. Soy makes me sick as I have a sensitivity to it. It's not a health story-it's overprocessed and so far from being natural and whole it can make some people sick such as myself. I can however eat organic edamame with no ill effects-again, a whole unprocessed food.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-07, 08:24

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

Quote:

Sounds like a great idea. And when they tell us that Atkins is healthy for us, I'll make sure to start that diet on Monday *sarcasm*.
The media is telling us that Atkins is bad for us, but everyone here knows it isn't bad and improves our health. The media tells us soy is the best thing since sliced bread (or cheese), when in fact, it isn't. Read up and do your OWN research... don't rely on the idiots dictating you and our country's people.