Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-07-06, 16:01

Plan: Semi-Vegeterian LCer
Stats: 375/000/220 Female 5'5
BF:45%
Progress: 242%
Default Supplements for Early Menopause?

Hello. I am 31 and am going through early menopause. I have the chills, the hot flashes, the mood swings, the constant urination, dry skin, sleep disruptions, and severe fatigue. I need help so I can get back to normal and have some strength so I can continue to lose on this lc lifestyle. Please, help if you have any info.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-07-06, 16:55

Plan: my own
Stats: 151.5/142.0/125 Female 5ft 3.5in
BF:?
Progress: 36%

I have heard that taking the herb black cohosh helps. Iam having the same problems. I bought some but haven't started it yet
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-07-06, 17:37
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Red Clover 400 mg twice a day. Also vitamin D, calcium and magnesium.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-07-06, 21:00
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasmom
Hello. I am 31 and am going through early menopause. I have the chills, the hot flashes, the mood swings, the constant urination, dry skin, sleep disruptions, and severe fatigue. I need help so I can get back to normal and have some strength so I can continue to lose on this lc lifestyle. Please, help if you have any info.

I don't know what cause you to go into a menopause at this age, but I would definetely look into NHRT. There are many options avaialbe now from bioidentical hormones: E/P replacement, such as sublingual, oral, creams, etc. The good site is http://www.power-surge.com/intro.htm, it's menopausal community and have a whole array of supporting physicians, OBGYNs, endocrinologists, and thousands of women going through perimenopause, menopause and early (surgically induced) menopause.
In any case, you are too young to suffer and jeopardize yout health, you need HRT. Natural remedies do not work exatly same way as hormones too, our body is not able to utilize it completely, there are herbs-adaptogens like black cohosh and red clover, and chaste berry.They may or may not aleviate your symptoms , but you need hormone replacement at this age to avoid accelerated aging and a host of hormone-related health issues. I am almost 49 and going through perimenopause, but even though I don't have half of your symptoms, I've considered NHRT. I am surprise your OBGYN did not mention HRT. Natural E Vivell Dot patch and natural progesteron Prometrium can work miracle for you.
HTH
Dina

Last edited by dina1957 : Wed, Mar-08-06 at 13:05.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 07:10
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Melatonin has been shown to delay or reverse menopause. There have been a few studies on women but many animal studies.

Melatonin Treatment for Menopause

Effects of melatonin in perimenopausal and menopausal women: our personal experience.
Bellipanni G, DI Marzo F, Blasi F, DI Marzo A.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...l=pubmed_docsum

Decrease in melatonin precedes follicle-stimulating hormone increase during perimenopause.
Vakkuri O, Kivela A, Leppaluoto J, Valtonen M, Kauppila A.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...l=pubmed_DocSum

Melatonin-dependent infertility.
Partonen T.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...l=pubmed_docsum
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 12:13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
Melatonin has been shown to delay or reverse menopause.

Melatonin is good as a sleeping aid but menopause is a cessasion of ovarian function, and is absolutely natural process for human females. Do you really think that taking melatonin can make our ovaries go forever?
As we age, we do produce less melatonin as well as other hormones, and alone explain insomnia. But a good tip is to have good blinds to make sure we sleep in a completely dark room, then our body will nahufacture more melatonin.

EDA: Have you used melatonin to delaymenopause? I am taking it before bedtime, but it does not much help with my perimenopausal symptoms.

Last edited by dina1957 : Wed, Mar-08-06 at 13:04.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 14:48
Finding the Pieces

BF:

I said it's been used that way. There have been studies on it. In fact a book's been written on melatonin and that was part of the book. The dose and timing was given there also.

I didn't say I used it that way. In fact I had to stop taking it as it made me ovulate more which gave me pain. It also made my TOM heavier.

I've thought of taking it again.

Menopause is a natural function, however early onset of menopause might be and probably is sign of hormonal and nutritional imbalance.

Leasmom was asking about supplements for early menopause.

I gave her my suggestions on supplements that have been used in treating that condition.

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Wed, Mar-08-06 at 14:59.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 15:17

Plan: Semi-Vegeterian LCer
Stats: 375/000/220 Female 5'5
BF:45%
Progress: 242%

Quote-"I don't know what cause you to go into a menopause at this age".

It's genetic's. My mother started in her 30's but it was late 30's so it just started earlier for me. I know some women it doesn't start until there in there 50's. But, I was just the unlucky ones.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 15:45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasmom
Quote-"I don't know what cause you to go into a menopause at this age".

It's genetic's. My mother started in her 30's but it was late 30's so it just started earlier for me. I know some women it doesn't start until there in there 50's. But, I was just the unlucky ones.

Our genes are powerfull but extensive testing can help determine the cause. PCOS, hypothyrodism, benign pituitary and hypotalamus tumors, even tubal ligation may cause ovarian failure. Myslef, I won't settle for this, and will just try to find out what is broken and try to "fix it" somehow. Here is a good site on early menopause.
http://www.earlymenopause.com/
HTH

Last edited by dina1957 : Wed, Mar-08-06 at 17:19.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 20:37
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

#11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-06, 07:30
Thank you Dr Atkins!

I would also recommend chapters 12 and 13 of Dr Atkins Age Defying Diet ISBN 0-312-97701-8

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/03...461708?n=283155

$8 new or one cent used (plus a couple of dollars for shipping).
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-11-06, 04:38
Thank you Dr Atkins!

http://www.vitacost.com/newsletter/...H20060310b:main

Quote:
In the February 2006 edition of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 301 women took part in a study to determine if herbal therapy could offer a satisfactory alternative to traditional hormonal replacement therapy1. The women were enrolled with a known history of menopausal symptoms for at least three months, along with depressed mood. Half were given standardized black cohosh (for a total of four mg daily of triterpene glycosides) and standardized St. John's Wort (for a total one mg daily of the active ingredient hypericin). The other half took a placebo pill. For the first eight weeks, women receiving the herbal supplement took full doses, then switched to half the dose for the next eight weeks. At the end of the 16-week trial, women who took the supplement showed a 50 percent reduction in menopausal symptoms, including hot flashes and sweating, compared to only 19.6 percent for those receiving placebo. Furthermore, depression scores fell by almost 42 percent in women receiving the supplement, compared to less than 13 percent with the placebo. Finally, about 62 percent receiving the supplement noted the effect as being "good or very good," whereas only about 25 percent gave a similar response having taken placebo. It was concluded that the herbal supplement was safe and effective for easing both mood and menopausal complaints. Nutraceutical Sciences Institute® (NSI) has a standardized St. John's Wort and two products containing black cohosh: EstroPower® and Phytoestrogen Complex with SoySelect®.

http://www.vitacost.com/WomensHealth.html

http://www.vitacost.com/articleResu...k=articles&ss=1
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-11-06, 06:26
Princess Sara

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 210/165.6/150 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:---
Progress: 74%

I've got Atkins' Age Defying...I'l check into that. I'm also going to set up an appointment with a different gynocologist. I am 47 and perimenopause wrecks havic on my Type 1 diabetes control. I fight anemia, but iron supplements irritate the fool out of my IBS with constipation. My current gyno wants me to do the "balloon" thing with my uterous. Only this requires a med that stops estrogen for a month. I suffer from inherited clinical/chronic depression and just know this estrogen lack would mess me up big time. Isn't it tricky trying to maintain multiple conditions in a way that allows you to go about your regular "bidness?" Goodness!!
Sara<><
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 17:19

Plan: CKD
Stats: 250/176/150 Female 5ft7in
BF:Lots
Progress: 74%

Have you thought about using vitex or maca root? You either use one or the other, don't combine the two.

Those two herbs are known all over the world for balancing hormones. They aren't expensive and they work!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 18:12

Plan: Protein Power /Bernstein
Stats: 250/225/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hi Leas Mom: have you also been checked for diabetes? Any family history? Many of the symptoms you mentioned are the same as diabetes.

I just read the Wisdom of Menopause by Dr. Christiane Northrup and she also recommends the low carb approach to eating. Getting the weight off and getting good exercise should help too.

Taking your calcium supplements at night can help you sleep.