Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 09:39
Anyone?? Bueller?

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Vinegar as a Sweet Solution?

Vinegar as a Sweet Solution?

Janet Raloff

On Dec. 7, Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy G. Thompson unveiled a national plan to combat the growing incidence of type 2 diabetes. It's the most common form of this disease, characterized by a growing resistance to the normal effects of the hormone insulin. A primary goal of the new federal program is to increase people's awareness of what they can do to prevent or manage this disorder, which costs the United States some $132 billion a year.

Research by nutritionist Carol S. Johnston of Arizona State University East in Mesa suggests one easy measure that might have a notable impact: Consume more vinegar.

Her studies indicate that 2 tablespoons of vinegar before a meal—perhaps, as part of a vinaigrette salad dressing—will dramatically reduce the spike in blood concentrations of insulin and glucose that come after a meal. In people with type 2 diabetes, these spikes can be excessive and can foster complications, including heart disease In Johnston's initial study, about one-third of the 29 volunteers had been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, another third had signs that they could become diabetic, and the rest were healthy. The scientists gave each participant the vinegar dose or a placebo to drink immediately before they ate a high-carbohydrate breakfast consisting of orange juice, a bagel, and butter. A week later, each volunteer came back for the opposite premeal treatment and then the same breakfast. After both meals, the researchers sampled blood from the participants.

Once ingested, carbohydrates—sugars and starches—can quickly break down into glucose that builds up in a person's blood (see The New GI Tracts). That's why people with diabetes frequently have to severely curb their carb intake. High-carbohydrate meals also prompt hunger to return earlier than low-carb meals do. Indeed, such observations spawned the low-carb diet craze (see Counting Carbs).

Although all three groups in the study had better blood readings after meals begun with vinegar cocktails, the people with signs of future diabetes—prediabetic symptoms—reaped the biggest gains. For instance, vinegar cut their blood-glucose rise in the first hour after a meal by about half, compared with readings after a placebo premeal drink. In contrast, blood-glucose concentrations were only about 25 percent better after people with diabetes drank vinegar. In addition, people with prediabetic symptoms ended up with lower blood glucose than even healthy volunteers, after both groups drank vinegar.

In these tests, vinegar had an effect on volunteers' blood comparable to what might be expected from antidiabetes drugs, such as metformin, the researchers reported last January in Diabetes Care. A follow-up study has now turned up an added—and totally unexpected—benefit from vinegar: moderate weight loss.

Both findings should come as welcome news during this season when sweet and caloric treats taunt diabetics, who face true health risks from indulging in too many carbs.

In a pickle

Why vinegar? A nutritionist, Johnston was looking for possible diet modifications that would make meals less risky for people with diabetes. While reviewing research published earlier by others, she ran across reports from about 2 decades ago that suggesting that vinegar limits glucose and insulin spikes in a person's blood after a meal.

A few research groups had conducted limited follow-up trials. For instance, Johnston points to a 2001 paper in which researchers at Lund University in Sweden evaluated pickles—cucumbers preserved in vinegar—as a dietary supplement to lower the blood-sugar rise in healthy people after a meal. The Swedish team, led by Elin M. Östman, reported that pickles dramatically blunted the blood-sugar spike after a high-carb breakfast. Fresh cukes didn't.

"I became really intrigued," Johnston says, because adding vinegar to the diet would be simple "and wouldn't require counting how many carbs you ate." t first, she attempted to replicate findings by others, focusing specifically on people with diabetes or prediabetic symptoms.

When these individuals showed clear benefits from vinegar after a single meal, Johnston' group initiated a trial to evaluate longer-term effects. It also explored vinegar' effect on cholesterol concentrations in blood. The Arizona State scientists had hypothesized that by preventing digestion of carbs in the stomach, vinegar might cause carbohydrate molecules to instead ferment in the colon, a process that signals the liver to synthesize less cholesterol.

So, in one trial, Johnston had half of the volunteers take a 2-tablespoon dose of vinegar prior to each of two meals daily for 4 weeks. The others were told to avoid vinegar. All were weighed before and after the trial.

As it turns out, cholesterol values didn' change in either group. To Johnston' surprise, however, "here was actually about a 2-pound weight loss, on average, over the 4 weeks in the vinegar group." In fact, unlike the control group, none in the vinegar cohort gained any weight, and a few people lost up to 4 pounds. Average weight remained constant in the group not drinking vinegar.

Johnston would now like to repeat the trial in a larger group of individuals to confirm the finding, but that study is currently on hold.

Why? To no one's astonishment, the study volunteers didn't like drinking vinegar straight—even flavored, apple-cider vinegar. Indeed, Johnston says, "I would prefer eating pickled foods or getting . . . vinegar in a salad dressing."

Now, the scientists are developing a less objectionable, encapsulated form of vinegar and testing its efficacy. Although there are commercially available vinegar dietary supplements, Johnston notes that they "don't appear to contain acetic acid," and based on studies by others, she suspects that's the antidiabetic ingredient in the vinegar.

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20041218/food.asp
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 10:06

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 100%

Strange. I would like to see this result confirmed, for starters. And it would be interesting to find out whether we are talking about effects on absorption of sugars, or their metabolism. I'm assuming its the latter.

I suppose this would be one experiment that you could do for yourself, with a blood glucose monitor.

Not thrilled about the idea of chugging a couple of shots of vinegar though. But I do love my greens/spinach with vinegar, and cucumbers and onions in vinegar with pepper and a little sweetener.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 11:15

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/170/170
BF:

It's bizarre to see the lengths that 'true believers' will go to preserve the myth that carbs are wonderful -- even for diabetics.

You can get even better results by skipping the carby foods.

Works better than chugging 5% acetic acid.

Sheesh.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 11:30
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I remember years ago there was some sort of vinegar in water fad that was going around. I can't remember though if it was for weight loss or generic health. I was a kid at the time and it must've been something my Mom got caught up in.

I'm brewing up some 10% acetic acid in my garage. Whole thing smells like vinegar now! Anyway, vinegar at 10% is supposed to make a good herbicide, so I'm going to give that a try.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 12:37

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%

4beans - you gotta stop posting so many articles i cant keep up!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 12:57
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom sawyer
Strange. I would like to see this result confirmed, for starters. And it would be interesting to find out whether we are talking about effects on absorption of sugars, or their metabolism. I'm assuming its the latter.

I suppose this would be one experiment that you could do for yourself, with a blood glucose monitor.

Not thrilled about the idea of chugging a couple of shots of vinegar though. But I do love my greens/spinach with vinegar, and cucumbers and onions in vinegar with pepper and a little sweetener.
It's tried and true for me, vinegar especially apple cider made in a salad dressing does inhibit the BGs spike. It also helps to break down protein and fat and speeds up digestion. Apple cider vinegar is also been known as metabolic enhancer and accelerator. 1 tbs in a glass of water first thing in the morning, is much better pick me up than a cup of Joe. I could provide many links for apple cider vinegar benefts but you can google it yourself. lemon juice is another good bet.
Cheers,
Dina
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 13:24
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
It's tried and true for me, vinegar especially apple cider made in a salad dressing does inhibit the BGs spike. It also helps to break down protein and fat and speeds up digestion. Apple cider vinegar is also been known as metabolic enhancer and accelerator. 1 tbs in a glass of water first thing in the morning, is much better pick me up than a cup of Joe. I could provide many links for apple cider vinegar benefts but you can google it yourself. lemon juice is another good bet.

I've heard good things about vinegar also, but lemon juice? That's citric acid, and I believe Atkins wrote that citric acid could stall some people's weight loss.

Wyv
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 13:50
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvrn
I've heard good things about vinegar also, but lemon juice? That's citric acid, and I believe Atkins wrote that citric acid could stall some people's weight loss.

Wyv
I remember that Atkins make a point that lemon juice contains carbs and should be accounted to on Induction, but citric acid contributing to stalls, not sure aobut it.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 16:01

BF:

Citric acid is an intermediate in the Krebs cycle (also known as the ciitric acid cycle), and as such would be "burned" just like a carb. Not sure what effect that might have but a few tablespoons of lemon juice surely won't hurt anyone. In fact, I regularly put a little in my sugar-free Metamucil. Pun intended.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 16:11

Plan: low carb
Stats: 00/00/130 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom sawyer

There have been other studies showing the effects of vinegar on blood glucose. Just do a search and you will find many. You can read more about the use of vinegar and lemon juice to control diabetes at Mendosa's diabetes website. Here's the link to the "Acidic Foods-Another Way to Control Blood Glucose" page:

http://www.mendosa.com/acidic_foods.htm

Linda
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 17:20

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 285/205/205 Male 72
BF:

I wonder how much sugar the "placebo" drinks contained. I do not like vineger at all; to me it tastes dead. I always use lime juice whenever vinegar is called for. Also, my eight to ten glasses of water per day always have two sqeezes of lime ( about 1/3 of one lime ) in them; not only taste a hell of a lot better, but also helps to keep my PH where it is supposed to be on the alkaline side. Point of interest--if anyone wants to try fresh lime juice and stevia together for cole slaw or wilted spinach, I think that you would find that it tastes very fresh and alive-- all natural and no side effects--just my two cents worth.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-04, 11:29

BF:

Exactly how does an acid help keep your blood on the alkaline side? Acid being the opposite of alkaline, more or less.

Lime juice and stevia does sound like a tasty salad dressing. Thanks for the tip.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-04, 12:50

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%

Is there no end to the wonders of plain, ol' vinegar? I'm definitely not one of those Universal Panacea types, but it seems every time I turn around I hear of another great use for vinegar besides salads and pickles.

I now use vinager to
Remove rust from old tools safely and slowly
Remove stains from our white carpet (3:1 water:vinegar works great for red wine on a white carpet, even when left for days.)
and on and on.

Plane Crazy
With a gallon jug of plain, white vinegar in my laundry room at all times.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-04, 13:53
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It also makes an herbicide, but it has to be stronger than 5% acetic acid. So I've got some where I'm evaporating off half the water to make it 10%. I'll try it out on some weeds and let you know. Supposedly you can buy stronger vinegar in agrocultural supply places.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-04, 13:55

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

Old European home remedy for heartburn or upset stomach.

Drink up tp 1 tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar in 8 oz. warm water and wait 20 minutes. Heartburn disappears and so does excess gas and sick feeling from upset stomach.

I've been using this treatment since i was a child (first introduced by my Polish grandmother). I guess on a more consistent use, it appears to help with digestion in general. Maybe that is one way it appears to help with carb digestion and insulin spikes in the blood.

I may take up the practice regularly.

Deb