Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-01, 21:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/160/140
BF:
Progress:
Angry Mood change? Irritability

I have been on atkins low carb for 5 weeks and have lost 15 lbs. The past week I (and others) have noticed a mood change. I have become morose, and irritable. This is not normal for me and I don't know if there is a correlation. I am currently eating 20-30 carbs per day. Any suggestions??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 06:12

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Hi Hilary

Just a thought, could it be that TOM? I noticed I was feeling hungrier, restless and craving sleep yesteday, then I realized it's been 4 weeks (which is not normal for me, but apparently your TOM changes when you start LCing).

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 08:26

Plan: Atkins(minus fiber)
Stats: 175/160/140
BF:
Progress: 43%

here's a thought, perhaps u're getting impatient with the 'diet' assuming u're thinking of this as a diet vs. a WOL..so u're getting irritable? i think i can get that way if i start obsessing, and getting impatient.. i really think half the weight loss battle is mental ..
then again i may be completely off the mark. It's almost like taking for granted the weight u have lost already and losing sight that no matter how 'little' weight has come off it is an ACHIEVEMENT.
In any case, I wouldn't worry about it too much...
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 09:09
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power/CKD
Stats: 183/173/135
BF:
Progress:

Hilary:

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I too had serious mood problems after being on Atkins. My addiction to carbs was a way to self-medicate depression. Carbs, especially in high amounts, have a very similar serotonin effect, much like anti-depressants.

The good news is that exercise releases the same "pleasure" chemicals that carbs do.

While some "addicts" do not suffer from depression, those that do, when they stop eating carbs, will experience mood swings, irritability, etc. because their "medication" has been stopped.

N
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-01, 10:26

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 173/150/135
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default I'll second that

I agree about the self-medication for depression. I had mood problems, light headedness (which I'm SURE was psychological) when I first went low carb. It was hard to do without my "fix". Now I'm going on 8 weeks of low carbing and I'm over the mood problems, and I feel so much better! I'm also doing hard aerobic workouts on a regular basis with NO ill effects whatsoever. Of course, I fall off the wagon now and then, but I always want to get right back to low carbing because I know what a stabilizing effect it has on my blood sugar and my mood! It's definitely worth it to stick it out during the "detox" period. Good luck-- you will get there, all those of you just starting out.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-01, 13:55
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile So that's it

Thank you! I thought I was going out of my head?! I take prozac and its always worked on a low dose. But recently my anxiety has been going through the roof! And its not my TOM either.
I do know I used carbs as a comfort food: you know chocolate, ice cream... mash potatoes...
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-01, 01:33
Registered Member

Plan: dr atkins
Stats: 194/189/154
BF:
Progress:

I am going into my 7th day only and last night i was as crabby as anything and also this morning.It is definately like a fix i needed my cereal i was almost hitting my husband because i wanted it he was aying youve done so well dont give in its your head sayin you want it ut you dont need it.
And he was right i said to him im not hungry i just need to taste it.But i didnt.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-01, 15:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile It gets better

Damsel

I'd say you are very near the turning point. The cravings get worse and then suddenly you don't want carbs any more - i guess your body accepts it's not going to get any. Then it gets a whole lot easier and you feel a whole lot better.

Stick it out - just through induction.
Take care.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-01, 12:41
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Fiona
What a great day ive had today not craved at all feel brilliant.
I had it bad the last 2 nights i think i could of killed for something with carbs in i was really goin to give up how much do i feel better now that i didnt
thanks to all on site
Damsel (sue)
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-01, 13:02

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 230/218/170
BF:
Progress: 20%
Thumbs up WTG, SUE!

Quote:
What a great day ive had today not craved at all feel brilliant.

Alriiiiight Sue! I'm glad to hear that.

When I go through a craving 'spell' (or a craving wild woman episode...) and don't give in I feel like I get stronger. Each day that I'm on Atkins reinforces that I don't want to blow it, because it just makes it harder in the long run.

I ate out the other night, had Pecan Crusted Chicken on Salad. I picked off the crust (which was mostly flour, not pecans) but the dressing was awfullly sweet, I made the choice to eat it anyways, thinking what the heck. I had cravings all day Saturday and Sunday morning, which I didn't give into and now I'm back to normal, which is no cravings.

I think we all get to know how our individual bodies react to carbs and triggers, and that makes it easier t olive this WOL. But, I relate to your feelings during the craving crisis! Keep up the fight! It get easier!!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-01, 13:13

BF:
Default Supplements for cravings

BTW, I found some supplements at the health food store that level off blood sugar and help to reduce my cravings.

ONe is called Blood Sugar Harmony (I use the one in an alcohol base and put a few drops under my tongue for quick delivery into my bloodstream).

It contains these herbs:
Devil's Club Rootbark, Dandelion Root, Prickly Ash Bark, Atractylodes Boi Zhu, Angelica, Dong Quai, Paeonia Bao Shoa Root, Bupleurum Chai Hu, Licorice Root, Gan Cao.

Then I takeSuper Fit Burners by Action Labs, it has
Chromium Picolinate and Chromiun Polyicotinate and CitriMax (Hydroxycitric Acid) All of which are suppose to reduce sugar cravings and keep blood sugar levels stable. It also contains nutrients. I'm sure that you can find similar things at your local healthfood store. I know that they help me a lot.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-01, 14:07
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

tHANKS FOR THAT
I KNOW I WILL GET MY HANDS SLAPPEED BUT I HAVENT STARTED TAKING ANY SUPPLEMENTS YET I HAVE GREAT TROUBLE IN SWOLLING WELL TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH I GOT PREGNANT ON THE PILL THATS HOW BAD I AM.
BIT I WILL HAVE TO GO TO THE HEALTH FOOD STORE AND SEE WHAT THEY CAN DO
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-01, 14:14

BF:

Sue,
Somethings come in liquid form, like the Blood Sugar Harmony. Even vitamins are available in liquid form. It makes it easy for people who have problems swallowing pills. But, the bottom line is that you know what you need, it's not up to anyone to 'slap your hands'. Not all people take supplements. Go with what you're comfortable with, and do what you can one day at a time.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 00:12
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Catherine,
I am goin to town on Wed to Holland & barrett.Do you know if taki the supps help you lose weight faster?
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 22:43

BF:

Yes, some of them raise your metabolism rate which causes you to burn fat faster. But, be careful. some are not for people with high blood pressure, any heart problems or nuerological disorders as some can dilate blood vessles and stimulate the heart and nervous system. Ask the person at the healthfood store or the pharmacy. Atkins has some out now that I heard were good. They were a little pricey for me, so I got some other ones that focused on keeping blood sugar stable for my cravings.
Good Luck finding something that helps you!
Katherine