Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 08:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190.5/186/150 Female 5'5"
BF:31%
Progress: 11%
Unhappy It never fails...I always fail.

Well it never seems to fail but I seem to go good for a week or so at most and then the chocolate they put out all day every day at work wears me down weaker and weaker and then next thing I know I indulge and feel tons better for the moment and then go on bender for the weekend and gain back the 4 or 5 lbs I lost. I feel so deprived of my favorite thing which is chocolate for some reason that after a few days or week at most I cave in.

Dont know if I can do this. I did it before though about 4 yrs ago and was very strong but I have been told that is just because it was my FIRST time low carbing and was all new and easier but going back in next to impossible....I am finding that to be true.

I hate wearing a size 16 but I also hate feeling that headachy anxious feeling. I want more than words could ever express to be thin and proud of the way I look but I feel it is just out of my reach and dont have the mental strength to do it.

Andrea
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 11:23
"Hopeless Romantic"

Plan: 000000000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00000
BF:
Progress: 26%

Andrea7, I buy Ross Chocolate bars from our health store. They range from 167-170 calories and 3.4 gm of carb per bar. They are delicious!!!!!!!If you can get them where you are, please do because they really take the edge off. The website is under Ross chocolates" from Vancouver, Canada. Having these in the house really saves me when the urge comes on. Hope this helps.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 11:32
Registered Member

Default Thank you

thank you for the good advice. I think I know of a place here in Dallas that will probably carry them.

Andrea
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 11:35
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I like the bars occassionlly too, but they can cause stalls and/or cravings which sometimes makes things worse for some people.

I make concoctions without sugar alcohols that usually get me through it.

I make a mixture of coconut oil, cocoa, splenda and heavy cream which tastes like a couple of spoonfuls of uncooked brownie mix OR 1/3 cup of ricotta cheese (or an oz of cream cheese) mixed w/ a TBS cocoa, tsp of splenda and oz of heavy cream. Both of these are like a pudding.

Those of us with deep food issues have to play around and experiment. If you don't enjoy what you are eating then you more then likely won't stick to it. What you stick to in the longterm is what is really important.

My biggest suggestion is when you are having a chocolate attack, eat something good and low carb. Eat and fill up first. You are allowed to eat you know? Then have a taste of something sweet that is also low carb. You will have more control then.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 11:39
Registered Member

Stats: 198/172/165 Female 6'
BF:
Progress: 79%

Andrea....don't beat up on yourself. You CAN DO THIS. Try writing down your feelings each time you get a craving, and maybe this way you will find out the reason why you are eating so much chocolate. I love chocolate, I love sweets...but when it comes to my health I had to make a choice, and that was to give up my chocolate. I am NOT saying that I will NEVER have another candybar, but for now, there will be none. Try the low carb candies as someone else has suggested. That sounds like a great place to start. And keep posting in here, I find it helps me stay on track.

Good luck.

Bonnie
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 11:54
Registered Member

Default ok

Ok before the weekend starts I am going to go to the hf store I am thinking of and get some of the low carb chocolate bars and just make a rule for at least that one weekend if I cant seem to cope without my chocolate fix than I will first eat one of those.

When I am having that deep craving I tell myself I need to eat some tuna with lots of mayo but the thought of it at that moment makes me queasy.

I take naps a lot on weekends and when I wake up I find that I am craving chocolate the most and am being the most driven to get it!

I went to a movie yesterday just so could sit and eat popcorn and candy and get fix and was going to invite this low carb friend of mine and didnt call her because I wanted to binge on chocolate and that wouldnt have worked out so I called my friend who binges out on chocolate with me and we went.

That same friend of mine is talking about getting this procedure done called "lap band" and I can just see her getting it done and then I will be the only one left who hasnt "gotten it" as far as willpower and strength to do something!

By the way in that picture of Marilyn M above I seriously think someone showed me that SAME pic before and said she was a 12 in that picture which looks more accurate if you ask me.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 12:31
The evolution of me

BF:

Looked up the MM: and apparently her size then was equivalent to a size 12.

Damn.... gots to change my signature again.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 12:36
Registered Member

Oh well! That still is better than trying to live up to these size 2 and 4's that most famous beautiful woman are.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 12:40

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

I'm with lkonzelman. Go for the homemade chocolate fixes first. I on occasion do the whipped heavy cream with cream cheese, cocoa powder and Splenda and it hits the spot. With the SF chocolates they do stall some people. I'm sure most people would be okay if they had one or two every once and a while. But if you are having a problem with chocolate and when you are going to eat it you go a little crazy, the homemade stuff is a better option. Going off on that stuff is not anywhere near as bad as going off on the Russell Stovers.

P.S. She's a 12!?! Bummer. When I saw the picture in your signature I felt so good. I'm a baggy 16/tight 14 now and thought to myself "but I look GOOD! Look at MM!" Grrrrr, now I'm back to just plain old fat. Must . . shrink . . . to . . . twelve . . . .
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 12:44
Registered Member

well at least also a 12 isnt that far out of touch!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 12:58

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Another good homemade chocolate "fix" is the Peanut Butter Cup recipe here in the Forum. If you were to take ONE of those to work when the candy is there tempting you, would that help? You could even make them in a mini muffin tin to keep the carbs even lower! My sister (non LC-er at the time) *loved* them!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 13:14
Registered Member

I am going to look that up now and print it. I just HAVE to buck up but feel so weak! I failed to mention something probably pretty significant and that is I used to have pretty nasty drug habit and quit that only to switch my addiction to chocolate or sweets so I really just replaced one for another.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 13:40
The evolution of me

BF:

Andrea... I have been EXACTLY where you have been in many ways. You can do this. I believe in you.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 13:49
Registered Member

Thanks...it helps to know I am not the only one who has struggled with this. It's mostly mental I believe. I know physically I could do this if it werent for my darn head! I feel compelled and addicted and just driven and controlled by it! Maybe hypnosis would work.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 14:14

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%

You are not alone! I am PMS'ing and have Chocolate chip cookies in the oven right now. Damn! I was stressed because MIL was here for 2 months and just left Friday night...but is coming back in 3 weeks....Damn...the stress of having her live with us is coming out now.

Anyway....Ross chocolate in the states...is Pure De-Lite. They are exactly the same. The Mint one is my fav!

Have a great day! Tomorrow I am back on Induction!
Natascha