Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Feb-24-24, 11:59

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I only remember the 4 food groups charts, which stayed pretty much the same throughout my childhood and even shows up in a college textbook I still have from the early 70's. (I majored in Fashion Merchandising - but since that was classified under the Home Ec category, we were required to take one cooking class too)

The chart I'm most familiar with included only 4 servings of bread/cereals, 2-4 servings of dairy (depending on age), 4 servings of fruits and veggies combined, and at least 2 servings of meats/eggs/fish (or alternatives such as PB or beans).

Compared to that, it's no wonder those who followed the recommendations for the food pyramid packed on the weight, and are still packing on the weight using My Plate.

It took some digging around to find any definitive information about what constitutes a serving using my plate, and how many servings in each category are recommended each day for adults using My Plate, but these are the amounts for a 2,000 cal diet:

How those are supposed to "fit" in the designated sections on that plate is really beyond me.

They have the same amounts of room on the plate for meats and grains, but the total amount of meat is limited to 1/2 oz less than the grains - even though grains are almost always puffed up and 2 ounces of cheerios would be piled up and spilling over that grain section, but meat is compact, and 2 oz of meat would take up a pitifully small portion of the meat section.

Then we have dairy - which doesn't even have a section on the actual plate (it's off to the side, so you can either have milk or yogurt or cheese with your meal, but no more than 1 of those at a meal since you're only allotted 3 servings daily), but never mind that little detail - somehow the nutritionally deficient soy milk counts the exact same as real milk. (Don't even get me started on the push for fat free - good luck absorbing the calcium in either one without any dietary fats)

Oh and then for veggies, a "large sweet potato" (162 cals, 37 g carbs) counts the same as 2 cups of raw spinach. (12 calories, 2 carbs)

For fruits - one large banana won't fit in the fruit section of the tray unless you cut it up and pile up the pieces, but it still counts the same as a small apple or 1/2 cup of raisins. (Never mind that each of those fruits will occupy vastly different amounts of space in the fruit section.)

In the veggie section, 2 cups of raw spinach only counts as one cup of veggies, but 1 cup of cooked greens still counts as 1 cup of veggies (even though 2 cups of raw spinach will usually cook down to about 1/2 cup or less). And 1 small avocado somehow counts as a vegetable instead of a fruit.

But good news - you can have beans, peas or lentils as your meat alternative AND as your veggies! So you can really load up on those, they can cover both the meat and vegetable section of your plate!

(The ones who developed My Plate did a great job on making it near impossible to to figure out exactly which items in those amounts you need to choose from each category each day to get this to work out to 2,000 calories, never mind the actual amounts of vitamins and minerals that are nutritionally available.)
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Feb-24-24, 14:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
That chart reminded me of my childhood in the 50s. We learned it at school. These are the categories that still exist in my head.

My mom was a good cook. She had battled her weight since she was a teen, so I assume she was mindful of nutritional values. Back then, nobody ate fast-food or highly-processed foods with countless chemical additives. Heck--I grew up without Mac n’ Cheese! Except the kind mom made occasionally--probably with Velveeta.

My only acquaintance with spinach was from cans. Gray-green slime! Yechhhh! Later, we got the frozen kind--a great improvement. But who knew fresh spinach could be so delicious--not to mention a wide variety of other leafy greens.

I remember my mom sweating through endless exercise classes. She used Metrecal for a time, probably a nasty-tasting beverage. I inherited “fat genes” from both sides of my ancestry. So...here I am.

P. S. My mom’s parting gift to me when I left for college: scales.

We only had canned spinach too - not very often, but when we did, we'd put a little cider vinegar on it. I really liked it like that. I don't recall it being gray looking or slimy, but depending on how it's prepared, I suppose it could seem slimy.

One time when they served spinach for a school lunch, I thought great, I like spinach! I gagged at the first taste, because it didn't have any vinegar on it. Maybe it seemed kinda slimy to me because it was "buttered spinach". I couldn't bring myself to eat it at all, and shuddered every time spinach was on the school lunch menu. Now if they'd had some vinegar to put on it, I might have been able to eat it, even with the butter on it too. (These days I also like creamed spinach - I haven't tried to make creamed spinach from canned spinach though -fresh or frozen works fine. I just can't eat raw spinach without it irritating my mouth though.)

Mom made velveeta mac'n'cheese too (60's version - no mac'n'cheese kits back then). Not very often, but when mom made it, it was a rather large pot of it (because those loaves of velveeta were about a pound or two, and the box of macaroni was also about a pound, which made a LOT of mac'n'cheese! This would have been back in the 60's, when Velveeta was legally considered to be cheese (the ingredients have changed since then, making it a pasteurized process cheese product)

I loved mac'n'cheese though. I also loved canned mac'n'cheese - not sure who made it way back then, maybe Chef Boyardee? I didn't care as much about the macaroni itself (even though the macaronis were often a couple of inches long, and full of the cheese sauce). I finally figured out once I went LC that the cheese sauce was what I really liked about it, so I had to figure out a way to make just the sauce using real cheese.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-24, 06:00

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

A lot of the assumptions of how much nutrition is in each form of food date back to the Roaring Twenties. Bioavailability is a concept that is going to tear up the old rules.

Like one of the reasons I dropped high oxalate foods was learning how this anti-nutrient blocks most of the vitamins and minerals I was supposedly getting. With a low appetite and immune/nervous sensitivity, I have to eat high utility food.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-24, 10:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
A lot of the assumptions of how much nutrition is in each form of food date back to the Roaring Twenties. Bioavailability is a concept that is going to tear up the old rules.

Like one of the reasons I dropped high oxalate foods was learning how this anti-nutrient blocks most of the vitamins and minerals I was supposedly getting. With a low appetite and immune/nervous sensitivity, I have to eat high utility food.

No food will do you any good if you can't digest it properly in order to absorb the nutrients from it. Might be due to an allergy, or a digestive issue , or leaky gut, or any number of other digestive issues.

My mom had Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Among the various problems associated with that, any kind of raw vegetables would pass through her digestive tract intact. There's no way that she was absorbing an adequate amount of nutrients from those foods, and most likely no nutrients at all from them.

Even nutrient absorption of certain foods with a normal digestive tract is unlikely anywhere near what the nutritional analyses claim, since some nutrients at least partially block the absorption of certain other nutrients.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, May-05-24, 09:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
What’s the definition of “vegetable”? Seems to me that anything that grows in, on, or under the ground could qualify. What are mushrooms? Well, fungi--a different category from vegetable. What about Seaweed?

Beans (not green beans), peas, and corn are on my list of “starches” I don’t eat. So is rice. Where does vegetable end and starch begin??

~snip~

CNN has an answer to your question:

Quote:
There’s actually no such thing as vegetables. Here’s why you should eat them anyway

The rumors are true: Vegetables aren’t real — that is, in botany, anyway. While the term fruit is recognized botanically as anything that contains a seed or seeds, vegetable is actually a broad umbrella term for many types of edible plants.

You might think you know what carrots and beets are. Carrots, beets and other vegetables that grow in the ground are actually the true roots of plants. Lettuce and spinach are the leaves, while celery and asparagus are the stems, and greens such as broccoli, artichokes and cauliflowers are immature flowers, according to Steve Reiners, a professor of horticulture at Cornell University’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.

As for produce that grow from flowers, such as peppers and tomatoes, the hot-debated crops are botanically classified as fruits, Reiners added. Cucumbers, squash, eggplant and avocados are also classified as fruit due to their anatomy, according to the European Food Information Council. Vegetables are classified as the roots, stems, leaves and flowers of edible plants.

What is a vegetable?

The term vegetable does not have a set definition when it comes to botany. However, in horticulture, the science of growing garden crops, a vegetable is defined as any herbaceous plant — a fleshy plant that completes its life cycle in a growing season — in which some portion “is eaten either cooked or raw, during the principal part of the meal, and not as like a snack or dessert,” Reiners said.

The legal definition of a vegetable versus a fruit — at least in the United States — was determined during a 19th century US Supreme Court case that concluded that the tomato is a vegetable.

While vegetables are really just the roots, stems and leaves of plants, experts don’t recommend eating just any roots, stems and leaves.

One example is rhubarb. The fleshy stalk is the edible part of the plant, but the leaves are poisonous, Reiners said. Stay safe by eating plants that grocery stores commonly call vegetables. “We know (vegetables) are healthy. We know the vitamin content, we know the mineral content,” Reiners said. “We know how much fiber is in all of it. “We also know that the vegetables that you either grow or you’re purchasing at a farmers market or grocery store are safe to eat,” he said.

Eat your vegetables

By understanding the various parts of vegetables and the nutrients they carry, people can eat well, according to Sherri Stastny, a registered dietitian and a professor in the department of health, nutrition and exercises sciences at North Dakota State University. A head of broccoli is a great source of nutrients, but the stem of the green, which is more commonly thrown out, is also rich in fiber and nutrients, Stastny said. The regular consumption of flowery produce such as broccoli and cauliflower have been found to be associated with a decrease in the risk of cancer, she added.

“Heart disease is still the No. 1 killer in the United States, and we know that if you eat enough fruits and vegetables, you lower your risk for heart disease — and that goes along with obesity, diabetes and all these other chronic diseases,” Stastny said.

It is important to eat a variety of vegetables since each one will have varying beneficial nutrients, she added. Dark leafy greens such as spinach and kale are great sources of certain phytonutrients, natural nutrients from plants that are beneficial to human health, that help to maintain sharp eye vision, while carrots will help to strengthen night vision. “If you think of the richest, darkest, most colorful vegetables, that’s where you’re going to find those (nutrients),” Stastny said, while potassium-rich vegetables and fruit, such as potatoes, pumpkin and squash, could help to lower and maintain blood pressure.

‘Start them young’

For parents looking to get young kids to eat their fruits and veggies, breaking down the anatomy of the plant, while describing the colors, taste and texture, could be a fun and educational way of introducing the nutrient-dense foods to the early explorers. “Start them young,” Stastny said. “If you introduce children to vegetables at a younger age … they’re more likely to eat vegetables throughout their lifespan and therefore decrease the risk of chronic disease.”

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/05/heal...ness/index.html

Of course not all statements in that article are universally true.

I've known people who ate loads of veggies (and not much else), but died at 35-45 from cancer.

I've known those who lived well past 90 who simply couldn't properly digest veggies and therefore ate very few (mostly cooked to death), and who did not experience any heart disease.

I've known those who lived to their mid 70's, ate mostly veggies and fruits, kept their weight low and stable their entire lives... and died from cardiac arrest anyway.

But as a definition of vegetable, it's fine - even though they first say there's no such thing as vegetables, LOL!
  #21   ^
Old Thu, May-09-24, 02:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
I just can't eat raw spinach without it irritating my mouth though.

That's the oxalates. I had the same reaction to kiwi. Don't eat either anymore.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, May-09-24, 10:08

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Quote:
No food will do you any good if you can't digest it properly in order to absorb the nutrients from it. Might be due to an allergy, or a digestive issue , or leaky gut, or any number of other digestive issues.

Many many food items have been tested in ruminants, as the are the proverbial "cash cow".

Im still looking for such indepth look at digestibility in humans. Hogs are the closest.

However, much has been done to damage the GI, from microbes to tight junction malfunction......which leads to reactions to the biochemicals that cross when they shouldn't.

Farmers make money when their farm animals are healthy. Our medical system makes money when we are ill.

Dave Mac interviews people about their diet and how their health improved. Like 400 people interviewed. Stunning to hear from the people who eliminated or reduced vegetables and relied on meat to fix their health issues. Dr Atkins called this the ultimate elimination diet.

Allowing the gut to heal. And allow body to eliminate the allergens that entered the body,as much as possible.

[The GI tract is a barrier. It's actually the same embryonic tissue as skin.]
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jun-21-24, 08:25

BF:

I'll insert my thoughts on this update (of sorts) to the story that potatoes may soon no longer be considered a vegetable:

Quote:
Potatoes Are the Perfect Vegetable—but You’re Eating Them Wrong

In 1996 the United States hit peak potato. Americans were eating 64 pounds of the vegetables each year—more than at any point since modern records began in 1970. A record-breaking harvest had flooded the country with so many spuds that the government had to pay farmers to give them away. In the White House, the Clintons were foisting potatoes—fried, marinated, boiled, garlicked—onto princesses and presidents at official dinners.

“It was a crazy time,” says Chris Voigt, whose long career as a potato-pusher started in the potato frenzy of the late 1990s. “Literally you could buy buckets of french fries.” But as Voigt made his way up in the potato industry, all the way to executive director of the Washington State Potato Commission, the American potato was undergoing a dramatic shift in fortunes.

The average American is now eating 30 percent fewer potatoes than during the vegetable’s heyday, down to an all-time low of 45 pounds per year. The drop in consumption of fresh potatoes—for boiling, roasting, mashing, and steaming—has been even faster. In 2019, frozen potato consumption overtook fresh potatoes for the first time, opening up a gulf that has continued to widen since the pandemic. Most of those frozen potatoes are eaten as french fries.

The US doubled the percentage of obese adults (approx 15% to 30%) between 1980 and 2000, and the peak of potato consumption was in '96. I'm not saying potatoes were the prime reason, as there was also a huge increase in fast food and UPFs during that time. But also consider that many of those UPFs of that era were potato based (fries and chips), and even boiled or baked potatoes simply added to the overall excess consumption of carbs.

Quote:
This has seen potato fields become battlegrounds for the future of food in America. In December 2023, reports emerged that US dietary guidelines might change to declassify potatoes as a vegetable, mirroring the approach taken in Britain. There was such an uproar that US Department of Agriculture secretary Thomas Vilsack was forced to write a letter reassuring senators that his agency had no such plans.

That reclassification may have failed, but the potato has had a spectacular fall from grace. Once this miraculous nutrient-dense vegetable was the fuel of human civilization. Now the spud in the US has become synonymous with a garbage, industrialized food system that pours profits into a handful of companies at the expense of people’s health.
This is the real update to the article saying potatoes could be removed from the vegetable category - Sorry to see that won't come to pass, but not terribly surprised either.

Quote:

America’s favorite vegetable is facing a Sophie’s Choice moment. Should we accept that fresh spuds have lost the fight against the tide of fries, hash browns, and waffles, or is there hope for a potato renaissance? Can the humble spud achieve the rehabilitation it deserves?

The white potato is a criminally underrated food. Compared with other carb-loaded staples like pasta, white bread, or rice, potatoes are rich in vitamin C, potassium, and fiber. They’re also surprisingly high in protein. If you hit your daily calorie goal by eating only potatoes, then you’d also exceed your daily goal for protein, which is 56 grams for a man aged 31–50.

Chris Voigt knows this because for 60 days in 2010 he ate nothing but potatoes. And a little oil. And one time some pickle juice. But the point is, for two months Voigt didn’t just survive on potatoes, he thrived. By the end of his diet Voigt had lost 21 pounds, his cholesterol was down 41 percent, and he’d stopped snoring. “I think I’ve personally proven that the potato is highly nutritious, no matter how you eat—whether you boil it or fry it, cook it in the oven, or steam it,” Voigt says.

Wow, if you eat nothing but potatoes all day, you could actually meet the RDA of 56 g of protein, which is about half of what you really need.

Of course you'd need to eat about 5 lbs of potatoes daily to hit that pitiful 56 g protein, and that's plant based protein, so count on needing to eat nearly an additional 2 lbs of potatoes to reach that barely minimal 56 g of usable protein. Along the way, you get absolutely no B12 or D.

He only ate an all potato diet for 2 months though - that's not long enough to suffer the effects of vitamin deficiency. And if he was only eating about 5 lbs of potatoes/day to get 56 g of plant protein, then he was only taking in 1769 calories daily, a deficit of 231 calories daily from the standard 2,000 diet - and being male, he may have needed closer to 2500 calories to maintain his weight. Men lose weight far more easily than women too, so losing 21 lbs in 60 days - not truly unusual at all. Men tend to be able to "diet" by cutting back on how much ice cream they eat on a daily basis and lose 5 lbs in a week.

Quote:

Voigt adopted his unusual diet in protest against a recommendation from the National Institute of Medicine to exclude white potatoes from a federal voucher program for women and children on low incomes. The institute argued that Americans already ate white potatoes in ample quantities and didn’t need any encouragement to eat more. As Washington’s potato chief, Voigt, naturally, disagreed. “Nutritionally and scientifically it just didn’t make sense,” he says—potatoes are loaded with exactly the kinds of vitamins that pregnant women need.

In 2015 the institute came around to Voigt’s point of view, concluding that Americans weren’t getting enough starchy vegetables, and therefore potatoes should be eligible for the voucher scheme. It was a rare victory for the pro-potato camp at a time when the vegetables have come under increasing fire. “They’re pretty amazing in my opinion,” says Joanne Slavin, a nutrition professor at the University of Minnesota who helped come up with the 2010 federal dietary guidelines for Americans, which counted potatoes in the recommendation that people eat 2.5 cups of vegetables each day.

Back to the graph showing obesity rates in the US - between the recommendation in 2015 to eat more starchy vegetables and 2018, the obesity rate climbed from 37% to 42%. Obesity rate had taken a slight and very brief dip between 2009 and 2012, but then started rising again, and continues to do so.
Quote:

Potatoes aren’t just amazing from a nutritional point of view—they are one of the original disruptive food technologies. First domesticated in the Andes and then brought to Europe by Spanish colonizers in the mid-1500s, wherever potatoes were grown they supercharged local societies. Potatoes were well suited to growing in cool, wet, European climates and produced veritable bounties compared with established crops like wheat, barley, and oats.

An acre of field could serve up over 10 metric tons of potatoes, according to the diary of an 18th-century British farmer. The same area of wheat would yield only 650 kilograms, so it’s little wonder that leading thinkers started singing the potato’s praises. “No food can afford a more decisive proof of its nourishing quality, or of its being peculiarly suitable to the health of the human constitution,” wrote the philosopher Adam Smith in his influential treatise The Wealth of Nations.

“Potatoes can be grown in really small plots and marginal land,” says Nathan Nunn, an economist at the University of British Columbia who wrote a paper concluding that the introduction of the potato accounted for about a quarter of the population growth in the Old World between 1700 and 1900. Settlements close to areas that were suitable for potato cultivation grew and urbanized more quickly. French soldiers born in villages that could grow potatoes were a half-inch taller in the years after the potato came to the country.

Nowhere in Europe was the promise of the potato more evident than in Ireland. The potato probably reached its shores in the early 17th century. A century later the population had doubled to 2 million, and by 1845 it had soared to 8.5 million people—more than 90 percent of whom were utterly dependent on the potato, writes John Reader in Potato: A History of the Propitious Esculent. When a fungal disease wiped out nearly all of Ireland’s potato harvest in 1845, over a million people died in what became known as the Great Famine, and a similar number emigrated to North America, Australia, or to Great Britain—where the government continued to export grain, meat, and even potatoes from Ireland despite the raging famine.

There's no doubt that in areas and times when food in general is in very short supply, almost any kind of food are better than nothing. That includes potatoes, grains - and in all honestly, even UPFs, because when there's a famine, eating a survival food is better than having nothing at all to eat. When you have other foods, just not enough, survival food can be very useful as a supplement to the diet, just to provide sufficient calories.

Quote:

The same qualities that made potatoes a runaway success in Europe—their cheapness, ubiquity, and nutritional density—are a large part of why in recent years they have acquired the status of a second-class vegetable. One Danish observational study found that eating a lot of potatoes—unlike other vegetables—was associated with a higher risk of type 2 diabetes. Other studies have found that potato consumption is linked to cardio-metabolic risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol, but the evidence on whether this leads to more disease and deaths is murky.

The issue is that the way we eat potatoes has changed. Americans now eat 21 pounds of frozen (mostly fried) potatoes and a further 3.7 pounds of potato chips each year. And while deep-frying potatoes doesn’t deplete their nutritional content (it actually increases levels of dietary fiber), it does add a whole bunch of fat and salt, which we know are bad. The problem is that the potato industry is dependent on these deep-fried products, which are a major growth area, while fresh potato sales continue to decline.

“I hate it when we try to simplify things and put healthy foods over here and unhealthy foods over there,” says Voigt. “You really have to look at the entire diet that you’re consuming. That’s my philosophy on it.” But recent growth in frozen potatoes is buoyed by all-day breakfasts and a vogue for loaded fries, which skews the equation firmly to the unhealthy side of the balance.

The evidence is murky on whether or not potatoes can lead to T2 diabetes, and linked to cardio-metabolic risks ::

While I have to agree that french fries somewhat confound the determination, the simple fact is that a single large potato (13 oz) provides 65 g of carbs - that's a pile of carbs in a single vegetable on your plate. Seems ludicrous to even make the supposition that it might not be so bad for your metabolic health when 65 g of carbs from cake has a decided impact on your health.

Quote:

The shift in consumption also means that the frozen potato processors have a lot of sway over how potatoes are perceived in the US. “French fries are a huge source of fiber, because that’s what people actually eat,” says Slavin, who points out that some of her work has been sponsored by the potato industry. Voigt, of the Washington Potato Commission, where frozen french fries are the state’s top agricultural export, tried to convince me that deep-fried and salted potatoes don’t meet the definition of ultra-processed food. Slavin disagreed, saying that french fries are “without question” ultra-processed.

So... one could reach their daily 35 g goal for fiber just by eating french fries - you'd only need to eat 6 large orders of fries from McD's.

Quote:

The demands of the frozen potato industry have also shaped which potatoes make it into fields, says Mark Taylor, a retired potato researcher. Potatoes destined for potato chips need to be relatively dry and low in sugar, which helps them take up oil and stops them from browning too quickly as they’re deep-fried. McDonald’s is picky about which potato it uses for its fries, which is partly why a single variety—the Russet Burbank—accounts for about 70–80 percent of all frozen French fry production in the US and Canada.

This dominance of a few potato varieties is one reason why spuds have also lagged behind other staple crops in terms of development. Yield is a measure of how much crop is produced in a given hectare of farmland. Improvements in fertilizer, equipment, farming techniques, and crop varieties all push yields upwards, which means we can grow more food on less land.

Global yields of wheat, maize, and rice have all risen by more than 150 percent since the 1960s, but potato yields have only increased by around 72 percent. A big part of the problem is that potatoes’ genetics make it fiendishly difficult to breed more productive varieties. “It’s a nightmare to breed,” says Taylor, but pressure from climate change and new diseases means that we’ll have to try harder to unlock new potential from this maybe-miraculous crop. Yet at the same time, frozen potato producers continue to put their finger on the scale, bending breeder’s attention towards varieties that fry and freeze better than before.

Today the potato is at a crossroads. The history of the potato is the history of humanity, say Tom and Meredith Hughes, who have a collection of 8,000 potato-related artifacts. The married couple have curated exhibitions at the Smithsonian, the United States Botanic Garden, and Canada’s National Museum of Science and Industry. “We saw a path forward with a mission to explore the world through the eyes of the potato, and that’s what we’ve been doing for 50 years,” says Tom on a video call.

“Everywhere we’ve gone, we’ve collected potato things,” Meredith says, as Tom holds up to the screen a small Chinese horse bell shaped like a tuber and then a chunk of Chuño—potato prepared the ancient South American way, frozen overnight and then dried in the Andean sun. But now the bulk of the Potato Museum collection is in storage in New Mexico and the Hughes are looking to sell. “This has become a real burden for us, financially and physically,” says Tom.

So far they’ve had no takers, although they say an auctioneer valued the collection at $1 million. In the meantime they’re putting it online in a series of YouTube videos, each one exploring a different aspect of their collection: potato toys, tools, T-shirts, and tunes.

Interesting trivia, but considering that they could get a metric ton of potatoes from an acre back in the 1800's, a 72% increase in production doesn't sound too shabby.

Quote:

The potato too is struggling to generate the enthusiasm it once did in the anglophone world. At the same time as becoming synonymous with its least healthy preparations, the potato has been squeezed at the margins by the rise of pasta and rice in the Western diet, as well as being a victim of the low-carb diets popularized in the 1990s and 2000s.

Of course they have to get their digs in at LC diets.

A few people are still plugging the potato’s potential benefits. The pseudonymous science bloggers behind Slime Mold Time Mold are running an informal trial where they invite readers to try their own riffs on Chris Voigt’s potato-only diet. A few participants who ate only potatoes and dairy—almost a replica of the 19th-century Irish diet—reported that they’d lost weight over the month. Another who tried potatoes, eggs, and olive oil had less success.

Depending on your metabolism and how sensitive you are to carbs, as well as the proportions of potatoes to dairy - I can see losing some weight on a potato and dairy diet, but of course they don't mention how much weight loss on average, or what percentage potatoes to dairy (or which dairy products) they ate.

There's even less information about the potatoes, eggs, and olive oil diet. Not only do they not define the percentages or total weight loss there, they don't explain what "less success" means - 5% less weight loss? 50% less weight loss? Some individuals lost no weight at all?

Quote:
The potato industry is also arming itself to fight back against what it sees as nutritional misinformation. The marketing and promotion board Potatoes USA is using AI social media listening tools to find examples of “inaccurate nutrition information” online and respond. A human always reviews any dubious information, but the system speeds the whole process up, says chief marketing officer Kim Breshears.

It would be nice if they'd mentioned what that inaccurate nutrition information might be, because when I google for potato nutrition, everything I see does it's best to paint potatoes as " there's fiber and protein and almost no fat, so it's an extremely health promoting food" (pay no attention to the carbs, you neeeeeed a minimum of 300 g carbs daily anyway)

Quote:

The potato is ripe for a rebrand, says Voigt, but the industry has nothing like the marketing resources of the beef or dairy industry, which have poured money into efforts to remain central to the American diets. Potatoes USA has its AI listening tools, and is trying to nudge amateur athletes to join “Team Potato” with branded jackets and running gear. Compare that with the iconic long-running campaign from the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association: “Beef—it’s what’s for dinner.”

If these efforts to buoy potato enthusiasm feel lackluster, perhaps we need a tastier spud. In the early 2000s Mark Taylor, the potato breeder, helped create a new variety called Mayan Gold, which tapped into the genetic diversity of the original Andrean potatoes. Nutty and flaxen-fleshed, the idea was to appeal to the same gourmet market that gets excited about heirloom tomatoes. It was tasty, Taylor says, but sales struggled thanks to the financial crisis. “The bottom fell out of that one quite quickly.”

Quote:

The future of the American potato might be outside of its borders. A large portion of the potatoes grown in Washington, one of the leading potato-producing states, are sold as french fries in Japan, which is increasingly a major destination for American potatoes. In late 2021, McDonald’s Japan flew in three Boeing 747s laden with frozen french fries to ease shortages caused by shipping bottlenecks.

Back on home soil things look less rosy. “One of the biggest reasons why in-home potato consumption has dropped off is because we’re just no longer cooking potatoes,” says Voigt.

Even the potato faithfuls, Tom and Meredith, admit that they don’t eat as many potatoes as they once used to.

Once in the 1980s, Tom says he had a business call with a potato marketing organization where he mentioned in passing that french fries shouldn’t be the only way to consume potatoes. They didn’t call again.
“That destroyed 50 years of income for us,” Meredith jokes. The future of the potato—it turns out—is an extremely serious business.

It depends on how you use the term "cook" when it comes to potatoes. The fast food fries have definitely been cooked, but they're apparently referring only to cooking potatoes at home.

The thing is that the rate of home cooking has dropped off significantly for all foods.

The stores stock more and more types of microwaveable meals, more types of frozen meals and sides, more "microwave in packet" meals and sides. In some stores, the produce and meat departments are becoming significantly smaller. That's not only a reflection of consumer trends, but also ends up causing time-stretched shoppers to re-think whether it's worth the time and gas to go to another store to find the raw product to make the food from scratch... or just buy the pre-fab product so they can be done with the shopping, and get dinner on the table faster.

ETA: forgot to add the link:

https://www.wired.com/story/potatoe...ing-them-wrong/
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jun-21-24, 08:58

BF:

Quote:
The white potato is a criminally underrated food. Compared with other carb-loaded staples like pasta, white bread, or rice, potatoes are rich in vitamin C, potassium, and fiber. They’re also surprisingly high in protein. If you hit your daily calorie goal by eating only potatoes, then you’d also exceed your daily goal for protein, which is 56 grams for a man aged 31–50.

Because there is zero food value to STARCH and "pasta, white bread, or rice" are all fortified starches. The potato might be better, but I get plenty of potassium from meat, vitamin C from lemon juice, and I don't need fiber.

If the theoretical man weighs only 56 pounds...
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jun-21-24, 12:22

BF:

I grow potatoes.

A good food source that is cheap . And good nutrition.

Im not saying its useful during weight loss phase. And some still cant eat as they gain weight. Dr Atkins clearly included potatoes during maintenance. Starting at half a potato.

Satina. A beautifully oval smooth potato, golden skin, no netting, golden flesh.

Adirondack Blue. A smaller potato, oval. Dark purple blue like a gem. Smooth skin. Dark raspberry flesh.

A new potato: Blackberry. Darkblue black skin AND flesh.

The potato industry really changed focus about 30 years ago, breeding more colorful potatoes. Using some ancient varieties to introduce unique colors and strong virus resistant tubers.

European potatoes like Satina are golden flesh and smooth exterior. American style tubers are traditionally clunky shapes and white flesh.

Imho potatoes are underrated. What my boys dont eat ( tall thin very active) goes to dogs and farm animals.

Im working on having back up food sources. The situation in Ukraine is hurting agriculture in several ways. The wheat cannot be exported via boat, and becomes more expensive when it must use rail. The cost of fuel to plant and harvest is still high: Russian fuel is banned in most countries and held at artificially low cost per barrel. Russia also produces about 40% of world fertilizer.

The fertilizer that grows the grains that feeds the cattle, porkers and chi cken. Our meat.

In the US beef and chicken prices continue to rise. The number of mother beef cows is at an all time low. Due to extensive climate impact on grazing land. The number of meat packers is down to 4 !!!! handling 80% of beef. They set the prices, paid to ranchers, and selling price of the beef.

Please support local producers. As much as you can. Yes, its expensive. But it keeps that supply of meat supported.

Chicken and eggs. Avian flu is impacting supplies. And cost.

I like walking to my coops to collect eggs. These are not cheap. I can't reach the volume for best prices on biggest expense grain and feed.

For a full understanding, have a dozen, or half dozen chickens. The experience will be enlightening. 😉

Cattle can eat potatoes. Maybe sheep....never offered so I dont know. ChiX like cooked potatoes, like the dog.

Potatoes are superior food to grains. Stores well. No risk of the molds that grains can have.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Fri, Jun-21-24 at 12:31.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jun-21-24, 13:54

BF:

Oh I agree that potatoes are a relatively nutritious food compared to grains, especially refined grains - assuming one's body can handle the sheer number of carbs from potatoes.

I just don't think they're quite the powerhouse of nutrition that article tried to make them out to be, especially since their protein is plant protein and potatoes lack certain vitamins that we can't do without.

Add in some kind of animal protein though, and it's a viable diet - again assuming you can tolerate the number of carbs involved. Some of us just... CAN'T though.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Jun-21-24, 14:52

BF:

Oh, I'm not sticking up for them. They have solanine and oxalate. Though frying them in seed oil certainly makes them worse.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jun-21-24, 15:52

BF:

We fry in tallow...once a year...in the fall. A treat. Not regular fare.

Too much work!!!!

"The average potato has 0.075 mg solanine/g potato, which is equal to about 0.18 mg/kg based on average daily potato consumption. Calculations have shown that 2 to 5 mg/kg of body weight is the likely toxic dose of glycoalkaloids like solanine in humans, with 3 to 6 mg/kg constituting the fatal dose.
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › S...
Solanine - Wikipedia"

"Item Average total oxalate per 100 g Serving (g)
Potato, New with skin, boiled 30 min 21
Potato, Red, new, boiled w/out skin 13
Potato, Russet, baked or microwaved, flesh & skin 46
Potato, White, deep fried 32"

Eats ng with cheeses reduces oxalate absorption. For those that still tolerate such foods.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jun-21-24, 19:26

BF:

The 100 g serving (3-1/2 oz) being the standard serving is what gets me - that's a mighty small potato!

I just weighed the few potatoes I have on hand for DH, the smallest one is 4-1/2 oz. The next larger one is closer to typical - that one is 8 oz.

Back in the 70's when we'd go to some (cheap) steak place to eat, they'd serve a potato that was about 8 oz.

Nowadays, most of the baking potatoes I see on restaurant plates are so enormous that they must weigh at least a pound.

For that matter, the 5 lb bags of baking potatoes I see often only have 4 enormous potatoes, and a smaller one that's about the size of the 8 oz potato I have on hand. Meaning that the 4 potatoes are each about 18 oz and then the extra 8 oz potato adds up to the full 5 lbs.

They're not the worst thing one could eat nutritionally speaking - but anyone with a metabolic issue needs to realize that starch raises blood sugar faster than table sugar, and an 18 oz potato has over 100 g of starchy carbs.

The 3-1/2 oz potato is much more reasonable at 20 g carbs - but that's a mighty small potato and still might be too many carbs for some people.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jun-22-24, 02:04

BF:

The little red new potatoes is what I use when DH craves potato. Lower oxalate and a few will satisfy.